Volatile Magic + Material Farm Legit!

If you don't want to farm events all day for slow progress in getting your ascended trinkets for Volatile Magic...or whatever else you would need Volatile Magic for...then take a look at my group farming method using engineers. I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING, ITS NOT AFK...afk engi farm is NOT efficient. instead, the more engineers you have working together means alot lower TTK and more turret survivability because each turret guards other turrets when stacked.

Wouldn't hurt to have a Wrenchie Engi healing turrets too every once in a while AND to pull the ranged mobs to the turrets to help protect them.

Where Is it?

What Drops?

• Volatile Magic <-most important here

• Pile of Crystalline Dust

• Pile of Incandescent Dust

• Crystal Lodestone

• Karmic Retribution <-Dependant on whether or not you have the upgrade in Thunderhead. Tier level matters to how much Karma you can obtain from each kill. AKA KARMA!

• My personal tests were 970 in half an hour roughly around 2000 an hour in rounding out. If everyone does what they need to then it can go higher(pulling mobs to center with mortars, pulling ranged mobs to be killed, repairing turrets with toolkit, helping kill)

Why Volatile Magic?

• Shipments from specific vendors that will accept them in return for 1 gold and 250 VM which can net you a lot more profit.
  • The new ascended trinkets that can have stat selection of course! You would still need to obtain the Mistborn Motes but they can easily be gained faster through events or gathering as they drop by chunks in Dragonfall.

I Got This Far, Why Engineer and How To Start?

• (I know it sounds like the old leather farm in Lake Doric, but that method has been tried here with our engi guild and friends but it wasn't efficient but...) Engineers would place all turrets on top of each other on the circly ice thing and then pull mobs with mortars. If anyone is on defense, then they would also be responsible for pulling the ranged flame guys to the turrets with the wrench kit pull AND healing the turrets. This is NOT AFK farming because you are pulling mobs. Sitting there with turrets will be counterproductive and BARELY get any mobs. Turrets also have to be refreshed/replaced which, doing so, would not be afk. Minions on minion master however STAY and can be a grey line.

• Engineer because of several reasons I feel not listing...If you're hellbent on not using engineer, I suggest pulling mobs to turrets. You would get credit for the kill anyway by doing this. Running around like a madman and killing wont work as well as our engi method...but then again you could have killed like nuts in Dragonfall...you aren't here for the killtrain though...are you?

What Gear or Traits?

• I would recommend Alchemy 133, Firearms 123 with Inventions at 113
  • Gear wouldn't matter, but if you had the ability to have full Superior Runes of Golemancer...do it, its nuts and they help pull and kill.

NOTE: This is WAY better the more engineers working together as it reduces the TTK (time to kill) and helps everyone else participating reach their goals! YAY MONEY!

~IGN: World of Warcrap~

It might help if you measured just how much volatile magic was gathered during what length of time, ideally across several different players. You can take before|after snapshots of the wallet or use various tools (such as GW2 Efficiency or Silveress, the second of which has a tool for registered users to track farming profits).

No one is likely to take one person's word that it's "better" than other farms, especially since (in the experience of the community), hardly anyone actually does a good job of tracking the actual time spent, benefits, or effort involved.

Given the details you've provided about how to make this farm efficient, I'm confident that you might be among the exceptions, in which case, I'd appreciate seeing the details.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:It might help if you measured just how much volatile magic was gathered during what length of time, ideally across several different players. You can take before|after snapshots of the wallet or use various tools (such as GW2 Efficiency or Silveress, the second of which has a tool for registered users to track farming profits).

No one is likely to take one person's word that it's "better" than other farms, especially since (in the experience of the community), hardly anyone actually does a good job of tracking the actual time spent, benefits, or effort involved.

Given the details you've provided about how to make this farm efficient, I'm confident that you might be among the exceptions, in which case, I'd appreciate seeing the details.

i will give it a shot when i get home. Variables would include engineers assisting, i cant pull all mobs and expect them all to die vs my 5 buddies with their turrets doing it as well which can pull more mobs and also help reduce time to kill. so, unless i get about 5 engineers to help out, i wont get any substantial numbers

Strategies like this are a very good reason to keep the turrets at their current miserable state. I do not really care if it is full afk, or semi-afk or whatever. The idea of zerging up engineers in a small spot, deploying several turrets and farm that way brought us a questionable reputation in the game. This was basically the reason for the LD catapults.

I do not really see what this has to do in the official engineer sub board. Not even the necromancers are bold enough to make a thread in their sub-forum about the best spots for "unattended farming" or compare builds which can be used for this. There are special platforms for this kind of discussions. You strictily pointed out that this is NOT AFK. Pulling mobs towards a turret is not afk, that is true.

I would really like to see a rework of the turrets, also in favor of the crippled core-engineer. The holo-balance nerfs did hit pretty hard. But as long as engineers keep using the turrets for this sort of business, I doubt they will improve anything. I hope for you, that this is worth it.

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:Strategies like this are a very good reason to keep the turrets at their current miserable state. I do not really care if it is full afk, or semi-afk or whatever. The idea of zerging up engineers in a small spot, deploying several turrets and farm that way brought us a questionable reputation in the game. This was basically the reason for the LD catapults.

I do not really see what this has to do in the official engineer sub board. Not even the necromancers are bold enough to make a thread in their sub-forum about the best spots for "unattended farming" or compare builds which can be used for this. There are special platforms for this kind of discussions. You strictily pointed out that this is NOT AFK. Pulling mobs towards a turret is not afk, that is true.

I would really like to see a rework of the turrets, also in favor of the crippled core-engineer. The holo-balance nerfs did hit pretty hard. But as long as engineers keep using the turrets for this sort of business, I doubt they will improve anything. I hope for you, that this is worth it.

mod moved it, i did not request it to be. i agree turrets are a boring set to use, but after all we are trying to make a less effort farm here :/

• 2 weeks later...