Cantha and Tengu playable race, when ?!

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"derd.6413" said:not in this lifetime

we keep this attitude, we will prolly not see it. wheres your motivation ?

It's not the attitude, it's the truth...there's a reason why the Canthan section of Divinities Reach was removed and the same reason applies why we won't go there anytime soon: China.

i been saying this... what if the culture change ?all that never ending luxon, kurzick war... maybe the sea dragon washed up keining city.think about it, we are talking about a hermit continent, with alot of ideas for the developers to plan out.closer to the stars, kunavang, the envoy, Menhlos resting place...you are all forgetting, this is
.this is
, this is
, and this is
tell me where does this remind you of china ?cantha can happen.

The fact that the game is marketed in China and NCSoft said Cantha would not be sellable in China because of the Asian influence in the architecture and people, it doesn't matter if it was an amalgamation, ultimately NCSoft still owns ArenaNet and what they say goes.

Yes tin hats and all that. However Marjory is Canthan but no one has ever said about her looks? But apart from smacking my head on a wall this is sadly true.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:I love the responses that are in the vein of "i'd rather see a new area" as if they're mutually exclusive.They are. Or at least, they are mutually exclusive within any sort of reasonable time horizon that does the region justice. Specifically, we spent 2 years in the Heart of Maguuma (more, if you consider that LS2 is basically covering that area, just a tad east). By the time LS5 launches, it will have been 2 years in the Crystal Desert. Do you think any region should get less?

Pro tip: if you have to add a bunch of qualifiers and exclusions to your statements, you're probably attempting to make an absolute argument when you shouldn't be.

What you meant to say is you agree with the quoted statements but you have contrary arguments about other aspects such as timelines and content schedules.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Here's the reality - we should get both Cantha AND original areas through upcoming expansion/LW content.The reality is what a game studio can afford to do, not what the fans want. "Should" has nothing to do with it.

Hmm, who here is directing a factual argument based on reality thus requiring evidence and who is stating an opinion? Last I checked, the "should" verb denoted an opinionated obligation or criticism. Not saying you can't criticize someone's opinion but if your argument is "Open your EYES! Reality says Anet can't afford it!" I'd say prove it. Or at the very least state that you'd rather they spend money/resources on something else.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:As I've said many times: I'm all for Cantha... I just want to go someplace else first.

Then just say that lol.

Maybe I've just argued too much on the internet with people touting their opinions and misusing statements that I just get caught up on stuff like this. True question: why couldn't you just say that "I just want to go to someplace else first" rather than trying to shoot something down to prop up your statement? At the end of the day, it's not like we get the say in the decision one way or the other so why bother bickering?

If someone is going to post an idea on the forum, they need to sell it why it's a cool idea. That's it. How much it would cost? How much time? ect? Unless the discussion is specifically about making a suggestion easier to implement or more robust of a feature, that's not really my lane.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"derd.6413" said:not in this lifetime

we keep this attitude, we will prolly not see it. wheres your motivation ?

It's not the attitude, it's the truth...there's a reason why the Canthan section of Divinities Reach was removed and the same reason applies why we won't go there anytime soon: China.

i been saying this... what if the culture change ?all that never ending luxon, kurzick war... maybe the sea dragon washed up keining city.think about it, we are talking about a hermit continent, with alot of ideas for the developers to plan out.closer to the stars, kunavang, the envoy, Menhlos resting place...you are all forgetting, this is
.this is
, this is
, and this is
tell me where does this remind you of china ?cantha can happen.

The fact that the game is marketed in China and NCSoft said Cantha would not be sellable in China because of the Asian influence in the architecture and people, it doesn't matter if it was an amalgamation, ultimately NCSoft still owns ArenaNet and what they say goes.

You totally ignored what i said, and just went with your own concept.

Listen, yes cantha was asian inspired... however this is a fantasy game, and if you think about it, the continents culture can change.(this is a now a hermit continent)

-maybe Kaineng Center was affected by the sea dragon and is now destroyed ?-maybe the technology advanced ?-maybe the culture changed because of the never ending luxon, kurzick wars ?-maybe Kaineng Center has modern buildings, skyscrapers ?-maybe humans are all dead and tengu are the only ones in cantha ?

Cantha can happen, i am saying this is a fantasy game and anything could be possible.they have alot of possible ways to go around the china law, and build a game that will not impact the Chinese community.

I attempted to have this conversation on my last post, but the conversation went else where.

Listen, yes I know about the china law...yes, i know about anet saying they did not wanted to make cantha 4 years ago....yes, cantha was asian inspired...yes, i know there are many questions that need to be answered on the last living world,but hear me out before the negative nancies come and ruin it for everyone.

bottom line this is a fantasy game, and if you think about it, the continents culture can change.(this is a now a hermit continent and it is now an open platform)

-maybe Kaineng Center was affected by the sea dragon and is now destroyed ?-maybe the technology advanced ?-maybe the culture changed because of the never ending luxon, kurzick wars ?-maybe Kaineng Center has modern buildings, skyscrapers ?-maybe humans are all dead and tengu are the only ones in cantha ?-maybe the kurzick juggernaut is somewhat related to the sylvari.-maybe Zhaitan washed up Kaineng Center?-what happened to the Xunlai Guild ?

Cantha can happen, i am saying this is a fantasy game and anything could be possible.they have a lot of possible ways to go around the china law, and build a game that will not impact the Chinese community.

so based on ideas i have planted, what other ideas would you guys give to the Anet developers ?or new ideas.

keep in mind cantha was more pvp than pve inclined. (this can change)lets leave tengu playable race out of all this for now...

to be honest i have 0 interest for any of those 2 things.birdmen is just "eh..." in general. and I dislike eastern themed settings as a whole too.I DO wish some of the new maps could be like not ON FIRE! EVERYTHING IS EXPLODING! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH! AN ACTUAL DRAGON! EVERYTHING IS DEAD! I miss calmer maps like queensdale or most of kryta. :/I'm up for cantha if it's a means to have a new actual city.

@"coso.9173" said:to be honest i have 0 interest for any of those 2 things.birdmen is just "eh..." in general. and I dislike eastern themed settings as a whole too.I DO wish some of the new maps could be like not ON FIRE! EVERYTHING IS EXPLODING! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH! AN ACTUAL DRAGON! EVERYTHING IS DEAD! I miss calmer maps like queensdale or most of kryta. :/I'm up for cantha if it's a means to have a new actual city.

that's what i am saying, a new world in GW2 please comment on this post, i think the devs need more idea based forums then telling the devs they are doing a good job or bad job.

Let me say first that most of the Chinese gw2 players are looking forward to Cantha. Since a few years ago, Chinese players have always wanted to go there.The WOW's expansion, Mists of Pandaria, also bring a place with Asian cultural background. It has attracted many new players in China.So, Chinese law is not a big problem. Cantha expansion only depends on when Anet wants to make it. :)

Idea: Cantha has become pretty much like North Korea (or any other horrible government they care to copy), and now it looks like Bubbles may attack. However, the people in power refuse any and all outside help, even though we can see there's no way they're ready for what's about to hit them.

Do we hold back, respecting the leaders' wishes, and let them fall? Do we charge in, risking a war on two fronts at once? Do we try to overthrow the government before Bubbles arrives?

The sharp change in culture would allow for much of old Cantha's culture and landscapes to be wiped clean. What would have been a joyful revisiting of old landmarks is instead a painful demonstration of how the new government has leveled all of the old buildings and replaced them with bland conformity. We are not hailed as heroes, we're the "degenerate and impure" outsiders, even as we fight to save what and who we can. This would be our first time starting off from such a position, and it would allow politics to play a much larger role in the story.

The way I see it, people want Cantha for the nostalgia. We already know that ANet won't repeat it due to the cultural conflicts already discussed many times before in other threads. Sure, Cantha CAN happen, but if it were to be put into the game, it wouldn't be anything like anyone would remember and then the player base would get all salty about it (a losing scenario for ANet IMO).

For me, I don't see the point. I'd rather ANet focus on developing other content.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:As I've said many times: I'm all for Cantha... I just want to go someplace else first.

Then just say that lol.I did.

At the end of the day, it's not like we get the say in the decision one way or the other so why bother bickering?I didn't respond to people saying they want to go to Cantha first. I responded to someone saying that "the reality is" that ANet should do both.

@Nazferatwo.1764 said:ok ok ok stop, lets bring ideas to the topic.i dont want this post to spiral out of control like my last one. :)

You might want to update your original post then. It contains statements that are inaccurate or misleading.

For example:

I would really like GW2 to go to Cantha. What are you ideas the story ANet might tell there? Please let's focus on what might work. I know that there are practical, mechanical, lorical, and other issues. Let's leave those for existing threads to focus on what sort of epic threat might take the Player Character to that content... and perhaps how it might be resolved.

@Nazferatwo.1764 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:so the fact that the vocal minority asked for :
  • raids
  • legendary armor
  • more fractuals
  • more achievements
  • more grind
  • harder to get items

is something we can simply ignore?

The point is that
you
made a claim based on
some
of the evidence, ignoring the rest. I'm saying that there are vocal minorities asking for all sorts of stuff. And yet ANet adds things to the game that ANet thinks will benefit the community. Clearly, people who ask publicly are going to get some of the things they want. And just as clearly, they (whoever they are) don't get all the things they ask for.

Make a list of all the things that people have posted about on the forums and rank them by number of threads/posts. And you'll find all kinds of things that ANet has and has not delivered. It's a mistake to assume that "vocal" is the only reason these things exist in the game.

Your specific examples don't help make the case. Several are too broad to measure the impact. Several of these were added for reasons that are coincidental to a vocal minority also wanting them.

! Legendary armor was added as an incentive for raids and raids were added to attract and maintain a group of players that otherwise would be lost to other games. It has succeeded in that.!! "Fractals" are GW2's dungeons and lots of people want dungeons. Unless you have stats to back it up, it seems more likely it's the same-sized community in this game as any other RPG/MMO.!! I don't think you can make a case that only a minority want achievements. (Some don't want any, some only want certain sorts, which isn't the same as only a minority wanting them.)!! "Grind" is in the eye of the beholder. I also don't think you can make a case that the grind in the game has changed substantially. Certain types of things have always been draw out. As ANet adds new stuff to the game, it follows more or less the same patterns.!! "Harder to get items" is a concept that also varies greatly with perspective. Some people have always loved it; some have always hated it. What's also true is that some people get bored if things are too-easily obtained. Humans are fickle: we complain if things are too hard and we take it for granted when it's too easy. So a clever studio is always going to offer a mix of things.

in GW1 Factions was more PVP based, they can easily bring this concept back. combine pvp with pve like they did in factions.cantha can still be a warzone between the luxons and kurzicks.... or maybe not ?there is so much they could do with cantha.

You know this is something I readily support, alliance/alliance battles and the "Guild wars" Returning as a sub-plot with the main story being us against the canthan government. Plus we could get a ton of new guild halls and a bunch of cool items and vanity things; Could bring in an overhaul to balance as did the original factions and put pvp and wvw on the map so to speak. Do I feel like they might do this with cantha? Absolutely considering A-net wanted so bad to have its pvp in E-sports and probably will be going to double down and try to make sure it gets there this time.

glad to see people think like me in here.

Factions was my first step in guild wars, and I loved how it was really focused on bringing more group play and pvp into the game and I absolutely loved alliance battles. If done right the canthan expansion would revive pvp just like it did in the original. Id love to see the return of the "Guild wars" alternatively as well while we step away from dragons for the moment, and deal with more small but still decent threats. Two are asleep and we know nothing about bubbles who at this moment seems disinterested in tangoing with anyone and just wants to sit on it's ley-line.