Why do all the character races move at the same speed?

If Anet attempted to add any actual depth to the game in the form of racial/class bonuses/drawbacks, Bethesda would sue for copying TES. That's also why we don't have personal customizable homes. All that and the sheeple would scream "HURDUR COPYING WOW AGAIN" again.

It's why 90% of the writing in this game assumes you're a Human or MAYBE a Sylvari.Oh, and you also can't drown in this game, even without a rebreather. You can't copy Quake either.

I hereby give this game the award : Mist Potential

@Trise.2865 - Indeed, skill animations can make up for movement animations. That crashfest of metals... First person view, I use it - reluctantly - in tunnels and jungles, but I'm not comfortable with it in puzzles yet :D Thank you for the explanations on Norn transformation, I see why it may become unfair if kept true to the lore.

@Gop.8713 - You're right. Although elephants can outrun humans, they might not be able to do that for a long time, hence the idea I suggested that faster races would have to make stops. What bothers me in Norns is more the fact that they constantly jog in a considerable waste of energy instead of simply walking with their long legs. The slow motion Charr leap is a different case, the one that makes me wish for actual faster movement.

@XenoSpyro.1780 - Oh! I have to try removing the water breather. I'm not familiar enough with games to know if GW actively avoids copying, or if you're being completely ironic. However, my impression is that everybody copies everybody else and tries to add something new or turn things differently, that's how the world at large works in my opinion.

One of the biggest pluses about GW2 for me is that race choice has no impact on game balance. You can choose the race you want because of looks, animations, size, lore etc and there's no consequences. No need to worry about having chosen the wrong race for your class, wrong race for min-max and so on.

Walk around anywhere in the game away from the racial starter zones and you'll see every race is well represented because they all have their own appeal, which varies from person to person. This is liberating and I hope they never ever change it.

GW2 doesnt have any kind of sensible physics in it .Characters can run forever and never get tired.They can run up the steepest hills while carrying literally tons of items in a multitude of inventory bags , and it doesnt slow them down in the a slightest.The idea that the larger characters should run at differant speeds to the smaller characters is a similar concept, in that it doesnt have to make sense from a physics perspective.Its purely for balancing reasons.

@Leo.3428 said:

@Gop.8713 - You're right. Although elephants can outrun humans, they might not be able to do that for a long time, hence the idea I suggested that faster races would have to make stops. What bothers me in Norns is more the fact that they constantly jog in a considerable waste of energy instead of simply walking with their long legs. The slow motion Charr leap is a different case, the one that makes me wish for actual faster movement.

But an elephant can't outrun a cheetah over any distance, and even the smallest of turtles can outrun a sloth . . .

Hi again. OK, I understand we want to keep race/species purely cosmetic, although I still don't get why the larger characters run slowly instead of naturally walking like the giant Oakhearts. But there is no point in going on on this point.

My counterarguments to the idea that balance and meta are doomed to impoverishment the further the build choices are enriched, I will develop in a new thread because they are not specifically about speed variety.