Can you complete LW S3 without doing any HoT?

So I actually do own HoT and completed it with one character, but now I'm trying to get a second character through the LW S3 story to unlock the maps without doing HoT again. I just completed the Ember Bay map and moved on to the chapter "Dragon Vigil", where I have to go back to the Egg Chamber in Tarir......Except that this character has no way to get there because he's never been to Auric Basin, never mind Tarir.

I can't figure out any way that someone would be able to get there without going back and doing at least the first part of HoT to unlock Verdant Brink and then run all the way there. Am I missing something? Are players who do not own HoT able to play S3 at all? If so, how could they get there?

Just run there or use teleport to friend. Once you bought the expansion, all characters have the freedom to walk into any of the hot maps, they are linked without any story barriers between them.

What matters to play through the LS3 maps is to have the basic masteries from HOT.

Also remeber there are map teleport scrolls available for 1,000 Unbound Magic (infinite use, account bound).

If all you want is access to the maps with more characters, buy the scrolls (and maybe the tome to store them all in) and use the teleport feature (no cool down) with additional characters.

If you are low on Unbound Magic, run through the Bitterfrost Winterberry forest 2-3 times and consume the Winterberries. Nets around 2.3-2.5k Unbound Magic per run.

@"DragonForHire.3621" said:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I didn't want to spend the UM on scrolls anyway, since I have very limited play time, so hadn't even considered whether those could be passed between chars.

You might want to consider getting the Infinite Unbound Magic Gathering Tools because these will give you UM for every single strike when you gather wood, plants or ore, and they, like the scrolls, can be shared between characters.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"DragonForHire.3621" said:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I didn't want to spend the UM on scrolls anyway, since I have
very
limited play time, so hadn't even considered whether those could be passed between chars.

You might want to consider getting the
because these will give you UM for every single strike when you gather wood, plants or ore, and they, like the scrolls, can be shared between characters.

Or use Karma for the non-permanent ones. I know they are sold in the Royal Terrace, so they are likely sold elsewhere in Core Tyria, as well.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"DragonForHire.3621" said:Thanks for the responses, everyone. I didn't want to spend the UM on scrolls anyway, since I have
very
limited play time, so hadn't even considered whether those could be passed between chars.

You might want to consider getting the
because these will give you UM for every single strike when you gather wood, plants or ore, and they, like the scrolls, can be shared between characters.

Or use Karma for the non-permanent ones. I know they are sold in the Royal Terrace, so they are likely sold elsewhere in Core Tyria, as well.

Good point, although they're sold by LS3 heart vendors, just like the non-permanent VM tools are sold by LS4 heart vendors, not by Core Tyria vendors. The Core Tyria "Gathering Vendors" (e.g. Jess in the Royal Terrace - by the Leatherworking Station - or near the crafting area of "core" DR) sell all the other pre-glyphed variants, but not the UM/VM tools.