Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

I’m sure some of you are tired of hearing complaints on the Skyscale acquisition but this issue has been bothering me more than the timegates.

Of course this issue is the map currency requirement for the final Skyscale achievement. Now, I’m sure that most of us don’t mind putting in work to get something in this game but a full stack is just too much even if some maps are easier than others.

Even with multiple alts, this grind is just not fun and it leaves people feeling burned out. It’s essentially running around in circles for days to get what is essentially a non-legendary item/mount.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a ton of people have probably already spent the 250 for the Skyscale. If they change it now a lot of people are going to be unhappy that they spent much more of the currency than those would after the change. It isn't that hard to farm them. Do a few hearts a day on your main and a few alts. Most of them only take a few minutes. That or do metas.

250 could be fine if it was balancer around the maps. For example episode 6 currencies are hella easy to farm, while episode 3 and 2(this is deepest lvl of hell) are hard and grindy afEdit: doing same hearts on 7 diffrent characters is worst kind of grind imo. Dragonfall is good definition of grind

If ANet were to adjust, I'd want them to normalize, so that the effort is comparable in each map.

For example:

• Istan has 3 hearts that generate 25 ore; map completion generates 25 ore. The meta generates... a lot. Consequently 250 requires something like two characters completing the map, plus one meta.
  • For Sandswept, completing the map with two toons and local events along the way would generate about 50 diflourite. (Four hearts at 5 each, map at 5, and local events generate 3-5 each, so +25 more is reasonable.)

250:50 ratio is extreme; ANet could have considered that when setting the amounts.

The other side of this is: no, why should ANet reduce the amounts at all? This is a one-time requirement. It's going to bring people back to LS4 maps the same way that people continue to return to LS3 maps for the Wayfarer's Henge back. In that context, 250 mats/map seems light.

To clear things up a bit, I didn’t make this poll just to demand a change, I solely made it to hear what people thought about it.

For me personally, I can deal with grinding a day or more depending on the map. I’m close to finishing the first map I began with (Jahai Bluffs) and ran three characters through it. I’m buying a scroll for Thunderhead but being conservative with my volatile magic and doing Sandswept with just one character. I don’t have to worry about Kourna since it’s directly next to Jahai.

As for Istan and Dragonsfall, I can do those with one character since those maps are generous enough with their currency.

I can sympathize with both sides. One being the side that got the mount already and feel like they wasted time getting all those currencies. The other being those that can’t play for hours a day and get easily tired and burned out from the grind.

If this doesn’t get changed, I’m still going to endure since I’m too stubborn to quit now since I just finished Raising Skyscales.

I was not happy to see thats what the next step was but i did it anyway lucky for me i have tons of level 80 geared alts to speed up the process considering i spend a good chunk of my time in pvp doing nonsense i didn't have most of the map currencies for any of the maps. I was able to get 250 of each with a friend over 2 afternoons. It was a long hard grind but i got them all. To be honest it still was not a bad as the 24 hour time gates which is already going to change and im happy to hear it even though i have the dragon already. How ever this probably should not change. Though it does mean new players to PoF and living world season 4 in general might have to spend more time than even I did getting the currency.

Although if in a few months its lowered i dont see an issue there. But to lower this part right now some people would take issue with.

Lowering the time gate is not the same as lowering this dont be mistaken.You have 0 control over a 24 hour time gate but you do have within some reason how how fast or how hard you work to gather living world map currency.

Ive never completed so many hearts in a single day before haha.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If ANet were to adjust, I'd want them to normalize, so that the effort is comparable in each map.

For example:

• Istan has 3 hearts that generate 25 ore; map completion generates 25 ore. The meta generates... a lot. Consequently 250 requires something like two characters completing the map, plus one meta.
  • For Sandswept, completing the map with two toons and local events along the way would generate about 50 diflourite. (Four hearts at 5 each, map at 5, and local events generate 3-5 each, so +25 more is reasonable.)

250:50 ratio is extreme; ANet could have considered that when setting the amounts.

The other side of this is: no, why should ANet reduce the amounts at all? This is a one-time requirement. It's going to bring people back to LS4 maps the same way that people continue to return to LS3 maps for the Wayfarer's Henge back. In that context, 250 mats/map seems light.

IMO map completion takes to long on sandswept, u also need south meta for it, while giving only 5 crystals. I think it's better to only do 4 hearts and change map/character - do the same. Farming nodes is to inconsistent, I guess, just by farming hearts u can get more

Edit: I was getting 30 on avarage by doing so, cuz Iv always found some nodes and events on the way

@"Safandula.8723" said:IMO map completion takes to long on sandswept, u also need south meta for it, while giving only 5 crystals. I think it's better to only do 4 hearts and change map/character - do the same. Farming nodes is to inconsistent, I guess, just by farming hearts u can get more

Edit: I was getting 30 on avarage by doing so, cuz Iv always found some nodes and events on the way

The point is that ANet doesn't seem to have made any attempt to "normalize" the time spent, regardless of choice of method. If they wanted, ANet could have set the amount equal to a "standard set of activities" or equal to a set amount of time invested or any other sort of benchmark. Even then, it would still be up to each player to decide how they wanted to earn.

The second point is: none of that really matters. The requirement is trivial to any who already had the mats and onerous to whoever didn't. It will generate new interest in older maps (something that many people have asked for). And the effort spent would never have been equal or even equivalent across each map anyhow.

So I think the OP has made a tactical mistake: asking for a reduction in requirements without a strong explanation as to how that makes things "more better" enough to make it worth ANet's time to figure out the amount and change the code.

@Jemmi.6058 said:I am fine with the living story currencies, but the 5 gold per as well really hurts. It's basically made me put off finishing this mount for awhile. I thought the time-gating was in place of a gold sink.

One imagines that ANet was comparing 250 gold total minimum for Griffon with something closer to 40 gold minimum for the Skyscale.

I've been really surprised and disappointed in how much sturm and drang the new mount's acquisition has created -- at least on the forum -- so I'm equally surprised and pleased that the initial results indicate that most ppl are fine with this 'most onerous' currency requirement. So for that, I thank OP for making the poll . . .

OTOH, the ppl who would vote yes are prolly all out farming currency, so . . .

Since I’m not sure how to add another poll option, how would you all feel if the requirement didn’t change but the drop rate was increased slightly on non-heart methods in the map like like nodes or certain events? (Not counting Istan or Dragonsfall since those two maps breathe currency in your face)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Jemmi.6058 said:I am fine with the living story currencies, but the 5 gold per as well really hurts. It's basically made me put off finishing this mount for awhile. I thought the time-gating was in place of a gold sink.

One imagines that ANet was comparing 250 gold total minimum for Griffon with something closer to 40 gold minimum for the Skyscale.

It's really more than 40 gold, though. There are plenty of steps that require very limited mats that cost money, and/or professions that you may or may not have.

For example, I do not have Jeweler, so I can either spend a bunch of gold to level one up, or I can buy the item off the TP for 30 gold. I can't even just get the mats and give them to my wife, who has a jeweler, to make it for me - as the charged quartz crystals are account bound.

There are also loads of opportunity costs associated with the entire thing.

It's cheaper than 250 gold, but that doesn't mean it isn't a gold sink.

I honestly do not get the "i want it here and now" mentality. I mean, some people had stocked mats, others didnt, it is always the same with how various new implementations of the game work. This is a game, it is meant to be fun, not a full time job. If it DOES feel like a chore/job, maybe... Take a small break?