Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

I think the price is too high.I do not think they should lower it.

The real pain of it was finding out so abruptly. If they had given some advance warning back when people started to ask how to get it, it wouldn't have been a problem to as many people. The time gates on the previous parts would have been easier to face, too, for those still gathering the currencies.

Even with that, though, the price is still too high for a saddle we've shown we don't really need (we didn't need it in the story). It would have been better if the items we were buying were needed to automate the magic process for the rest of the eggs or something. As it is, I'd settle for a sparkly scarf or something getting tossed in with the mount unlock, maybe a "node" in the home instance where your skyscale brings you some random object every day from when it's out playing. Just... something, you know? Heck, have Gorrik say he's going to be raising the remaining skyscales and while some will go back to the wild, a few may stay in Sun's Refuge for research and care, and then you have an excuse to have one there to play with. That would be a nice bonus.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Voltekka.2375" said:I honestly do not get the "i want it here and now" mentality. I mean, some people had stocked mats, others didnt, it is always the same with how various new implementations of the game work. This is a game, it is meant to be fun, not a full time job. If it DOES feel like a chore/job, maybe... Take a small break?

I don’t think much of anyone is saying they want it immediately. Rather people were thrown off but how much there is to do to get this mount. Honestly, quite a few people were expecting this to be Roller Beetle 2.0 or Griffon 2.0 in terms of acquisition and I was one of those people.

I think if Anet was more transparent on how to get this mount, it wouldn’t have been as bad as it is now (sure, they would’ve had their heads bitten off by disgruntled players) and people would’ve had time to prepare for the long haul that is the Skyscale.

@TheGrill.4896 said:Since I’m not sure how to add another poll option, how would you all feel if the requirement didn’t change but the drop rate was increased slightly on non-heart methods in the map like like nodes or certain events? (Not counting Istan or Dragonsfall since those two maps breathe currency in your face)

The problem there is the increased drop rate would affect everything that can be purchased with that currency, not just this one collection . . .

@"Voltekka.2375" said:I honestly do not get the "i want it here and now" mentality. I mean, some people had stocked mats, others didnt, it is always the same with how various new implementations of the game work. This is a game, it is meant to be fun, not a full time job. If it DOES feel like a chore/job, maybe... Take a small break?

Something to consider is that they players who don't have the mats are probably mostly players who are very focused on the here and now, as evidenced by the fact that they spent all of their mats as they went along rather than stocking their mat storage for future use. When you look at it that way the ppl who don't have the mats are the exact same ppl who would be most frustrated by having to wait to get the mount, so it kind of makes sense . . .

@TheGrill.4896 said:

I don’t think much of anyone is saying they want it immediately. Rather people were thrown off but how much there is to do to get this mount. Honestly, quite a few people were expecting this to be Roller Beetle 2.0 or Griffon 2.0 in terms of acquisition and I was one of those people.

I think if Anet was more transparent on how to get this mount, it wouldn’t have been as bad as it is now (sure, they would’ve had their heads bitten off by disgruntled players) and people would’ve had time to prepare for the long haul that is the Skyscale.

People whined (still do) about the gryffon.People whined about AuroraPeople whined about Requiem armor (justified, the nullification sigil was a big mistake)People whined about druid backpackPeople whined about astral and stellar weapons

I can understand players want to get stuff fast. The new map offers the mount, you can rent it pretty much all over. And it honestly does make very little difference, if any at all. You can still move faster up ledges with the bunny.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:I honestly do not get the "i want it here and now" mentality. I mean, some people had stocked mats, others didnt, it is always the same with how various new implementations of the game work. This is a game, it is meant to be fun, not a full time job. If it DOES feel like a chore/job, maybe... Take a small break?

People whined (still do) about the gryffon.People whined about AuroraPeople whined about Requiem armor (justified, the nullification sigil was a big mistake)People whined about druid backpackPeople whined about astral and stellar weapons

I can understand players want to get stuff fast. The new map offers the mount, you can rent it pretty much all over. And it honestly does make very little difference, if any at all. You can still move faster up ledges with the bunny.

When it comes to whining, it’s just how some people are. That’s the most I can chalk it up to. Basically, you can’t please everyone.

Springer makes it up ledges faster but Skyscale is all about precision landings it seems and a lot of people love dragons so there’s no doubt really that a dragon mount would draw a lot of people in, even if it’s a springer/griffon hybrid to put it most simply. Plus, people want to be in more maps with it rather than just one.

At first, I was a bit pissed when I saw what we had to gather (I didn't even have half of the LS4 episodes prior to the Skyscale collection). But I think it was mostly because I had 2-3 days of logging in to just feed that damn dragon and run some dailies, where I could have been farming the currencies needed. Now I'm almost done, and it wasn't bad at all. I got to thoroughly explore some of the maps, and even ended up installing a couple addons I hadn't heard about

I voted no.

Out of the entire collection this is the only thing that really required some effort.

Everyone who is either feeding their Skyscale or has not began at all have plenty of time to get materials.

Like just mentioned, just farm them while you're feeding and waiting the 2 hours for collection unlocks, starting on the 28th.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:Well a ton of people have probably already spent the 250 for the Skyscale. If they change it now a lot of people are going to be unhappy that they spent much more of the currency than those would after the change. It isn't that hard to farm them. Do a few hearts a day on your main and a few alts. Most of them only take a few minutes. That or do metas.

So what, we had 4 days timegate and they will change to 1 day timegate on 28th, I spent my time you should too (thats what you are saying).

@Ragnarox.9601 said:

@"JustTrogdor.7892" said:Well a ton of people have probably already spent the 250 for the Skyscale. If they change it now a lot of people are going to be unhappy that they spent much more of the currency than those would after the change. It isn't that hard to farm them. Do a few hearts a day on your main and a few alts. Most of them only take a few minutes. That or do metas.

So what, we had 4 days timegate and they will change to 1 day timegate on 28th, I spent my time you should too (thats what you are saying).

You don't see the difference between basically doing nothing for 4 days and spending a large amount of currency that you have to do things to earn? Weird.. Also please don't put words in my mouth. I said many people would be unhappy. I didn't at all say I had to do it so everyone else should too. Myself, I'd shrug it off if they changed it.

I also said the same thing about the time gate, that some people would be mad if they changed it, and I was right. Someone showed up right after they announced the change "slapped in the face" for having to do it the "hard way". :smirk:

It is high but there is a LOT to do for this achieve. Unless you HAVE to have this step done right away just mine a full home instance every day (with or without buying mats) while working on other steps. Odds are the # will be reduced in time, but if not you will be making slow by sure progress.

To be honest, had it been known that players would need the currency beforehand, there probably wouldn’t have been that much of a backlash. Farming the currency would have been something players could do between time-gates and could have alleviated that issue indirectly, to a degree, as well.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:To be honest, had it been known that players would need the currency beforehand, there probably wouldn’t have been that much of a backlash. Farming the currency would have been something players could do between time-gates and could have alleviated that issue indirectly, to a degree, as well.

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps that is another reason the time gate was in there. Of course the first group through would find out the hard way but everyone later would have had those 4 days to farm the currencies once the news broke. Some people that just got to the feeding step still have that time gap to farm. I recently spent some time in game answering people's questions about the collection and most were glad I let them know to start farming currency as soon as possible. They didn't seem too upset about the amount they had to farm.

I'm on the verge of quitting over needing to grind these maps after I've felt long done with them. I've popped into them leisurely from time to time, done a few achievements, but I have no drive to spend extended periods of time in a majority of them. The content they offer are not remotely fun enough for me to want to be in these maps. The collection does nothing to rectify that issue.

By all means send me back to maps to do various little tasks like in the previous steps, populate them with my presence briefly in a fleeting moment as I move around doing my thing, but to have me grind 250 of the map currencies are so demotivating I don't even want to log in at all to progress the collection now. I barely logged in at all these past few days, did like a single Heart and logged off because it just weren't fun. Today I don't even feel like firing the game up at all. I even know it can be done relatively easy by hopping around on alts, but I am sick to the bone of grinding for this thing with all these stupid forced timegates that killed the excitement I had and any drive that otherwise might have been there to see this through. I don't want the mount on a silver platter, but I am also sick to the core of the grind it has been only getting to this saddle part. I want to play a game to have fun, to relax a bit, not to grind away at it like it's a job, repeatedly doing the same thing over and over across multiple characters, mindlessly slamming my head into the same tasks I just did minutes ago, for hours and/or days. I wonder what happened to GW2's design manifesto over recent updates; "It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun; [...]" — it sure doesn't feel that way anymore. We've always had mild grinds, but nothing has felt as tiring as these recent ones.

Recent updates such as the previous "evolving" armor sets, the new "evolving" armor sets for this update, this atrocious Skyscale collection, it all makes me feel as if I am playing any other generic South Korean MMORPG out of NCSoft's portfolio. It's getting so ridiculously grindy and not in a fun way. At least the out of place shiny advert with all the glowing weapons suits the game better now that it is about as grindy as a Korean mobile game.

i already have my skyscale but i was on the verge of losing my sanity. so i voted drop to 50, i feel sorry for casuals and/or ppl who dont have as much time as me to farm those currencies. + i have 22 characters to do 1 easy heart xDDDDDDDDDDD

plus skyscale is not useful at this point in time, maybe in new maps they'll be needed. but the other 6/7 mounts are sufficient for now.

It's less to do with the actual requirement of materials more to do with the fact that we aren't made aware of it until really late into the collection.

ANet needs to stop with these "hidden" achievements which are completely terrible designs, especially for content that is meant to get the players playing the game. Whoever thought it was a good idea to hide achievements for mount collection really needs to rethink the designing of achievements. I really see no point in hidden achievements at this stage.

I would love for it to be changed or rather for a gradual rollback of the currency required to make the saddle as the maps start to die down again but as it stands Anet made a decision and now they have to live with it. I don't understand why in the culture of review bombing and player outrage that exists today that Anet would ever make a move like this but if they change their mind now it'll only reflect poorly on them and give the impression that they buckle under pressure. Should it have been 250 in the beginning? I can't really say, but I can say that after the grind they already put me through I was sufficiently pissed off. Now after stepping away for a day and taking care of some things IRL I think I am ready to jump back in and finish this so that I never have to think about this fucking shitshow ever again.

tl;dr no one has to spend more than 41 gold, which is probably what ANet was thinking about when they decided on one stack of each of the LS4 mats as the requirement for this mount.

@"Jemmi.6058" said:It's really more than 40 gold, though. There are plenty of steps that require very limited mats that cost money, and/or professions that you may or may not have.

The minimum is around 41 gold.https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/brs41g/complete_skyscale_unlock_guide/

For example, I do not have Jeweler,so I can either spend a bunch of gold to level one up,That's a different set of costs that would be above the minimum, adding at most 12 gold to the total.https://gw2crafts.net/total.html

There are also loads of opportunity costs associated with the entire thing.There are opportunity costs associated with everything. That doesn't change how much gold is required.

It's cheaper than 250 gold, but that doesn't mean it isn't a gold sink.41 gold means this is 6x less of a gold sink, which is the point:

• People thought Griffon was too much and publicly wished that in the future, ANet wouldn't require as much coin outlay
  • This one allows people to entirely skip all but 41 gold in costs.

The remainder of any coin expenditures allow one the choice of saving calendar time (by spending gold for food) or saving effort (by spending gold for treats). Of that, the maximum (based on market rates ~24 hours ago) is an additional 210 gold, of which only 15% is sunk (due to TP fees); the rest is transferred to someone else.

I’d be fine with the time gate changes and 250 currency if it resulted in more than a base one due channel mount. I honestly think this would have been a great opportunity to introduce an in game obtainable skin. It’s something a lot of people have been asking to see, and having that with this mount and legendary worthy collection would make sense. But the functionality needs some improvement in general, either way. And I think once people start finishing the collection we may start seeing more posts about it. It’s just that currently everyone is judging based on the no mastery rental mount.

It was a pain, but yeah, if it stays as it is currently I would say reduce it a bit. 100 seems fair. I’m almost done with mine anyway.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I’d be fine with the time gate changes and 250 currency if it resulted in more than a base one due channel mount. I honestly think this would have been a great opportunity to introduce an in game obtainable skin. It’s something a lot of people have been asking to see, and having that with this mount and legendary worthy collection would make sense. But the functionality needs some improvement in general, either way. And I think once people start finishing the collection we may start seeing more posts about it. It’s just that currently everyone is judging based on the no mastery rental mount.

It was a pain, but yeah, if it stays as it is currently I would say reduce it a bit. 100 seems fair. I’m almost done with mine anyway.

I'm imagining a "breeder" profession or npc that we go resource farming for to craft skins. I would definitely sink some serious time into getting an in-game exclusive skin if they ever offered one. Doubt theyd do that because mount skins are one of the things keeping ANet running but who knows.