Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

I think it needed to be communicated better, and honestly first, second, and third wavers probably deserve a cut; since by now anyone else would have enough notice.But for the sake of consistency no, and the idea of reimbursing those people is a bit silly.

It's fine as is, just nextime A-net should put this as a side objective parallel to the main thing being asked, so that you go in ALREADY KNOWING this is what you need.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I crunched some numbers on Monday and estimated that it would take me six weeks to earn 250 of each map currency. Adding that to the prior grind, and the subsequent grind for the masteries, I decided the skyscale wasn't worth it. Cut that down to three weeks or so and I'd probably go for it.

I spent the whole day grinding dailies, events and hearts to get them all to 250.. >.< i'm pretty worn out now after finally getting the mount and completing it's masteries.

250 map currency is a fine amount for a big thing like mounts but 250 currency from 6 different maps is pretty overkill.. specially with all the time gates we've had to deal with, not to mention running all over the world.. twice.Having to play 12 rounds of catch and 6 rounds of hide and seek 3 times each in a row got extremely boring extremely quickly as well.I get the sense of progression Anet was going for with having our Skyscale grow up etc but there was an excessive amount of wasting our time in there.

I'm glad to finally be done with it although with all the work it required I may need a few days to chill lolLooking forward to seeing what new skins are coming though ^^ can't wait to get more dye channels on this thing :D

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:I crunched some numbers on Monday and estimated that it would take me six weeks to earn 250 of each map currency. Adding that to the prior grind, and the subsequent grind for the masteries, I decided the skyscale wasn't worth it. Cut that down to three weeks or so and I'd probably go for it.

So you can only earn ~36 map currency per day on LS4 maps?

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:I crunched some numbers on Monday and estimated that it would take me six weeks to earn 250 of each map currency. Adding that to the prior grind, and the subsequent grind for the masteries, I decided the skyscale wasn't worth it. Cut that down to three weeks or so and I'd probably go for it.

Well, i was all out on Inscribed Shards (kourna) when the info came out and i had full stack the day after.Just so you know, i got a full time job.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:So you can only earn ~36 map currency per day on LS4 maps?

Yup. I can only play on three weekdays out of five, for a few hours each day, plus some time on the weekends. And I only have alts to help with the first four maps - after that it's all on my main. So that added up to around a week for Kourna, Jahai and the Isles, two weeks for Thunderhead, and another week for Dragonfall.

I got Istan done on the first day. That much was pretty sweet.

@Katastroff.1045 said:Well, i was all out on Inscribed Shards (kourna) when the info came out and i had full stack the day after.Just so you know, i got a full time job.

Good for you. I'm not you.

It’s fine, people are just complaining because they didn’t expect it. When they do it, they complain it takes too long, and when they finish, they complain there’s no content. Someone somewhere will always have a problem, and this is not a major one, especially considering it also somewhat boosts map population

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:tl;dr no one has to spend more than 41 gold, which is probably what ANet was thinking about when they decided on one stack of each of the LS4 mats as the requirement for this mount.

@"Jemmi.6058" said:It's really more than 40 gold, though. There are plenty of steps that require very limited mats that cost money, and/or professions that you may or may not have.

The minimum is around 41 gold.

For example, I do not have Jeweler,so I can either spend a bunch of gold to level one up,That's a different set of costs that would be above the minimum, adding at most 12 gold to the total.

There are also loads of opportunity costs associated with the entire thing.There are opportunity costs associated with everything. That doesn't change how much gold is required.

It's cheaper than 250 gold, but that doesn't mean it isn't a gold sink.41 gold means this is 6x less of a gold sink, which is the point:
  • People thought Griffon was too much and publicly wished that in the future, ANet wouldn't
    require
    as much coin outlay
  • This one allows people to entirely skip all but 41 gold in costs.

The remainder of any coin expenditures allow one the choice of saving calendar time (by spending gold for food) or saving effort (by spending gold for treats). Of that, the maximum (based on market rates ~24 hours ago) is an additional 210 gold, of which only 15% is sunk (due to TP fees); the rest is transferred to someone else.

It's 30 gold, not 12 gold for the jeweler piece.

To clarify on opportunity costs, I mean that you could use select resources for gaining gold, but instead are using them on this collection (i.e. map resources).

Toys cost an additional 6 gold etc. There's just a lot of gold in this that's not all up front.

It depends, the current price tag is way too high for what the mount actually delivers. I wouldn't mind the high costs if we would actually get something good in return and I'd rather have them reworking the mount than them reducing the costs.

tl;dr the gold sink of the Skyscale is a minimum of 41 gold, plus mats. That compares favorably to the 250 gold of the GriffonThis explains why ANet might consider it fair to require a full stack of each map's materials, plus additional currency and items.

@"Jemmi.6058" said:We were , if you recall, comparing the flat 250 gold costs of Griffon (these have the same minimum and maximum), so we compare that to the flat costs for Skyscale.Those are ~41 gold minimum. One can choose for them to be more, by taking various shortcuts which require flat gold or by paying others to take some of the steps for you. Only some of which adds to the gold sink, and again, that's what we started off comparing.

It's 30 gold, not 12 gold for the jeweler piece.except what you wrote was, "For example, I do not have Jeweler,"And that costs only 12 gold to level up, far less than "30 gold"

Either way, it wouldn't be relevant to the "minimum" costs.

Should one choose to bypass the time sink for quartz, one can pay someone to do it for you. That would cost 24 gold on the TP today. Or you can use your own materials, which are worth less than 8 gold. (math)

To clarify on opportunity costs, I mean that you could use select resources for gaining gold, but instead are using them on this collection (i.e. map resources).I'm familiar with opportunity costs. That's not relevant in this case to comparing the flat coin sink for the two Mount acquisition methods.

If we want to consider opportunity costs, then we also have to consider all the time spent on each tracking down eggs and what not, since that represents lost opportunity in time to do the meta (for example), which is more financially rewarding.

If you want to compare material costs also, we'd also have to look at the converted value of the map materials.

Toys cost an additional 6 gold etc. There's just a lot of gold in this that's not all up front.The calculation I showed you includes that 6 gold.

@"Voltekka.2375" said:

People whined (still do) about the gryffon.People whined about AuroraPeople whined about Requiem armor (justified, the nullification sigil was a big mistake)People whined about druid backpackPeople whined about astral and stellar weapons

I can understand players want to get stuff fast. The new map offers the mount, you can rent it pretty much all over. And it honestly does make very little difference, if any at all. You can still move faster up ledges with the bunny.

I did not even started the third collection - I still travel with the egg from map to map and infuse it with different kind of magic :/ . So, I'm not in the category of the players already having the saddle. Still, I voted NO. Because (don't laugh, please) this mount seems to be our "legendary" item from this LS. That means I expect (for the forth collection) to have an item requiring all the achievements on all the LS4 maps completed (as for Aurora) :#

People whined about Griffon / Aurora / Requiem / Druid Backpack / stellar weapons. Well, about griffon this is absolutely understandable. Not only that. It is necessary. Because the mount is the central selling point for the HoT. And the players want the mount as fast as possible. Because sometimes you cannot do even a map completion without mount. Think about a game with the "combat system" as the main selling point. The best combat system / the most performant / astonishing / revolutionary etc. Then, after buying it, you find that you don't have even one weapon. And you cannot execute any skill. But you have to grind and do other activities (time gated / grind gated) for days/weeks in order to start to experiment combat.

People whined about every single aberrant requirements imposed by ANet to get a common thing (the only exception here may be Aurora - as a Legendary item the access to it should be different as for a common ascendant ring). But for all the other things the complains were justified.

What is surprising here, is that ANet is not learning from this feedback. And keeps doing the same mistake. I wonder what is the point to have a campaign to bring back the players if you offers to the returning players a looong period of grinding - interrupted by time gates (you did not play, we brought you back in game, so now, please leave the game for one day - till next reset. And the next day do the same - leave for next day). This is not OK.

So, as a conclusion, both ANet and the players were consistent in their attitude: ANet implementing aberrant demands for common items, the players complaining about these aberrations. Why you blame only the players?

The 250 requirement sure felt like a punch in the face when reaching the last part of the collections, especially after all the time gates. I gotta admit though, that it's not unreasonable for a "prestige mount" (even if it burns out players who try to get it over with as fast as possible, like me, unfortunately), taken that everyone else after the first people who found out about the requirements can easily research all about the collections before starting the project. It's well designed for the long run, as it gives people things to work towards after feeding the skyscale daily etc. What I really don't get is, why on earth weren't the 250 requirements used separately in place of the daily reset time gates to begin with?

The problem is, Skyscale feels like a normal mount, instead of a "prestige mount." Maybe even a little bit less, thanks to Griffon and Springer doing most of what it does better together. It doesn't feel like it's worth all the grinding. So I'd say instead of lowering the requirements, Skyscale should instead be freed of the unnecessary limitations that prevent it from being the mount it was supposed to be. The idea behind it is awesome, but then somebody decided to add a stack of limitations on it to prevent it from doing the job it should do.

I mean, when I heard I needed 250 map currency, I felt like I was punched in the gut. But, y'know, I kind of enjoyed the time I spent on the old maps - especially Gandara, a map I never thought to return to after that one story playthrough and obtaining the beetle.

TL;DR - Are you playing the game, or are you checking off lists for your skyscale?

@TheGrill.4896 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:I honestly do not get the "i want it here and now" mentality. I mean, some people had stocked mats, others didnt, it is always the same with how various new implementations of the game work. This is a game, it is meant to be fun, not a full time job. If it DOES feel like a chore/job, maybe... Take a small break?

I don’t think much of anyone is saying they want it immediately. Rather people were thrown off but how much there is to do to get this mount. Honestly, quite a few people were expecting this to be Roller Beetle 2.0 or Griffon 2.0 in terms of acquisition and I was one of those people.

I think if Anet was more transparent on how to get this mount, it wouldn’t have been as bad as it is now (sure, they would’ve had their heads bitten off by disgruntled players) and people would’ve had time to prepare for the long haul that is the Skyscale.What difference does it make if you play the content last week, this week, or next week? I have to admit that's a point of view I'm having a hard time to understand. Why do you want to prepare for something only to devour the new content faster? Why not just play it when it's ready?

No matter what point in time ANet chooses to make the requirements known, there will always be players who are upset because they short-sightedly converted all of their map currencies into gold just the day before (despite there being countless examples where ANet made use of older materials, currencies and more with newer releases). The "must have it now" crowd would've gone wild grinding stuff no matter when the requirements became known.

The only real impact of making the requirements known beforehand would've been that the grinding frenzy of those obsessed with "playing efficiently" would've happened a few days earlier (and possibly spoiled the surprise for those of us that prefer to discover content for themselves even earlier, too).

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:So you can only earn ~36 map currency per day on LS4 maps?

Yup. I can only play on three weekdays out of five, for a few hours each day, plus some time on the weekends. And I only have alts to help with the first four maps - after that it's all on my main. So that added up to around a week for Kourna, Jahai and the Isles, two weeks for Thunderhead, and another week for Dragonfall.

I got Istan done on the first day. That much was pretty sweet.

Sorry, but even with 3-5 days, you are in no way looking at 6 weeks (not even with 3 days, maybe with 1 day but even that would mean you only have 1 hour on that day at most). Even if we are to assume you can't manage to at least log in daily to get the 5 materials per map from Dragonsfall, you have to start completely from scratch and you have only 1 character. There is 2 maps which take a while, all the others can be completed within 3-4 days of no more than 20 minutes each.

Don't farm 1 map after the other. Make use of the daily lockouts and do every map a little.

Buy the Teleportation scrolls and all your alts have access to all the maps (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thunderhead_Peaks_Teleportation_Scroll). It make no sense that you'd be limited to certain maps if you have multiple level 80 characters.

There is a thread and link on how to gather materials efficiently for which map and how. Maybe take a look.