Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

@"Rasimir.6239" said:What difference does it make if you play the content last week, this week, or next week?

The point is a lot of people were expecting the skyscale acquisition to be in line with the roller beetle collections and I'd argue rightfully so as it was the only precedent for a PvE mount being added to the game.I see a lot of people justifying the insance amount of materials required with the skyscale supposedly being a legendary mount - which is simply not true. At no point was it advertised as such and as was pointed out numerous times in other threads, it is basically useless compared to our other mounts.

Personally I don't mind the timegates as a lot of it can be bypassed with gold and having to wait for daily reset is a mere minor annoyance. There's no way around having to grind a stack of each map currency, though and I think it's a bit of a stretch calling this grind "playing the game". Sure, the maps are more populated now but how long is that going to last? Requiring 250 of each map currency is simply lazy and bad design.

Either the usefulness of the skyscale needs to be improved significantly or the requirements need to be lowered.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Feothyr.6072" said:

The point is a lot of people were expecting the skyscale acquisition to be in line with the roller beetle collections and I'd argue rightfully so as it was the only precedent for a PvE mount being added to the game.I see a lot of people justifying the insance amount of materials required with the skyscale supposedly being a legendary mount - which is simply not true. At no point was it advertised as such and as was pointed out numerous times in other threads, it is basically useless compared to our other mounts.

Personally I don't mind the timegates as a lot of it can be bypassed with gold and having to wait for daily reset is a mere minor annoyance. There's no way around having to grind a stack of each map currency, though and I think it's a bit of a stretch calling this grind "playing the game". Sure, the maps are more populated now but how long is that going to last? Requiring 250 of each map currency is simply lazy and bad design.

Either the usefulness of the skyscale needs to be improved significantly or the requirements need to be lowered.

Yes, I think it should be reduced to 100. I think it perfectly balances (as all things should be) the requirements to get the mount and the reward

@phs.6089 said:People that complain about x250 never done Aurora. Here is the trick, don't rush. There would be nothing to do after you get it, so take your time, don't get burned out.This. When Aurora came about, I made the mistake of not keeping enough LS3 map currencies to get it straight away. For LS4, early on I KNEW they would make something that required 250 of each map currency, so I started farming it from the very beginning. Worked a treat - except I though it would be a legendary amulet, etc and not a mount. But after Aurora, I simply cannot believe anyone who didn't see this coming.

And should it be changed? no.

@Feothyr.6072 said:Of course it should be reduced by at least half. The collections required are already extensive and adding hours of grind to it is simply sadistic overkill.

Especially since it won't have the positive effect ANet is hoping for, at least not in the long run. Sure, if their intention is to get people back on said maps doing metas etc for now, good job. But it also puts people off and might result in them loathing the maps they had to grind, hence they might not return any time soon, if ever (until the next grind... or a good story that sends us across Tyria again).

How much gold would those 6 stacks convert to tho? Est 26k vol magic? It's not as cheap as it appears...

As for my vote, they should reduce only if they can reimburse, but I do think 250 is a bit over the top. 100 would have been more in line with the scope of this mount, on top of all the earlier chores. I seriously doubt they will reduce this though, but hope they reconsider not doing this for future mounts.

(I did expect that there would be another aurora for lw4, but since I have no intention to get GoB, I figured I wouldnt need to stockpile those currencies. My main coincidentally happened to be short of only ep 3(130) and 4(220). But people shouldn't be too sure that there won't be another aurora on top of skyscale)

Btw, does anyone know if Anet permits any program to run 2 copies of gw2 simultaneously, or is that against the toc? And if allowed , what's a good one? I'm tempted to buy home nodes on my main to let my subs farm them for the skyscale, but only if its allowed of cos

I think the best solution for this problem is to make all events in a map drop currencies so I can have fun while doing it. also enhance the currency amount u acquire from each event. and last don't put a daily cap.for now I am quitting the skyscale even though I got this far

@Feothyr.6072 said:

@Rasimir.6239 said:What difference does it make if you play the content last week, this week, or next week?

The point is a lot of people were expecting the skyscale acquisition to be in line with the roller beetle collections and I'd argue rightfully so as it was the only precedent for a PvE mount being added to the game.One thing I've learned in the years playing this mount is not to put much weight on precedents. ANet tends to try something, then tries to improve on it next time. They don't do things one way just because they did it that way before. Sometimes they try something similar to the last iteration, but just as often it's something completely different.

@Feothyr.6072 said:There's no way around having to grind a stack of each map currency, though and I think it's a bit of a stretch calling this grind "playing the game". Sure, the maps are more populated now but how long is that going to last? Requiring 250 of each map currency is simply lazy and bad design.Another thing I've learned in the years playing this game is that ANet doesn't like to just let "old" content fall off the map. Instead they reuse materials and currencies all over the place, which leads to a healthy population on pretty much all maps of this game all the time.

Season 4 maps were busy before the current frenzy (although not quite as over-populated as some of them are now) and will stay busy after the initial rush. There's nothing lazy or bad design about requiring older currency, on the contrary, it helps keep all maps relevant, not just the latest flavor of the month.

@Rukario.1695 said:I voted no.

Out of the entire collection this is the only thing that really required some effort.

Everyone who is either feeding their Skyscale or has not began at all have plenty of time to get materials.

Like just mentioned, just farm them while you're feeding and waiting the 2 hours for collection unlocks, starting on the 28th.

Time=/=effort. In no point is any effort required for any part of the collection, it's all based around consuming as much time as possible.Contrary to what ArenaNet wants to claim, the Skyscale from a time perspective costs much more than the Griffon does. I would rather have to pay the ~200g difference than give up 250 of each map currency.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:Contrary to what ArenaNet wants to claim, the Skyscale from a time perspective costs much more than the Griffon does. I would rather have to pay the ~200g difference than give up 250 of each map currency.You already have the griffon tailored to your preference then. Those of us who prefer to play for other reasons than putting a gold value to everything we do and get in game, might prefer to spend map currencies rather than generic gold. Good thing ANet offers mounts with aquisition paths to suit a variety of tastes.

Skyscale as it is now really is not worth the time you spend on it but no, i don't believe that reducing this cost would make it any better. Even if there is no legendary flashy item at the end, ANET goal with this saddle is probably the same it had with Aurora : bring players back to abandoned LS4 maps that now are only played a few times a day on LS4 Farm squads. And if you ask me : is it working? Yes it is. Since everyone already knows about this requirement, even players that haven't started the collection are going to those maps, playing meta-events and now i can find a lot more of squads than before to do sutff like branded shatterer.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Question for those voting to reduce the quantity:

Have you already purchased all of the items for the saddle?

I've already finished it and I voted to lower it to reduce the grind on players in the future. Players who have already gotten it typically are more gung-ho but players who put off getting it aren't into the grind. The level of grind on this mount is way to high for it's limited capabilities. The early bird players have their bragging rights anyway. In some ways it might be better for the game to have things like this be a grind initially then reduce it after a few weeks. If players want compensation for the pre-reduced grind the devs could give us a copy of the default mount skin but with 4 dye channels. The could become a thing for future mounts. Get it early and get 4 dye channels, wait and you only get one dye channel but reduced grind.

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:maybe with 1 day but even that would mean you only have 1 hour on that day at most

Just for fun, I calculated how long it would take me at 1hr/week. My average rate is 20 currency/hr, plus the five you can buy with karma, which works out to ... 44.5 weeks. Sounds fun! I'll see you next March, with my skyscale! ;)

Your calculation is deliberately low though. You can easily make double or triple that currency in an hour with hearts alone. Not counting the 5 per map per day you can buy for volatile magic in the last map (which can be gained by consuming the volatile magic one gains while playing the maps or consuming extra materials not needed) which make up up-to 25 materials for 1 minute of work.

I was talking about 1 day per week by the way, not per day. With 1 hour per day, you can complete this easily within 1 week.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If ANet were to adjust, I'd want them to normalize, so that the effort is comparable in each map.

For example:

• Istan has 3 hearts that generate 25 ore; map completion generates 25 ore. The meta generates... a lot. Consequently 250 requires something like two characters completing the map, plus one meta.
  • For Sandswept, completing the map with two toons and local events along the way would generate about 50 diflourite. (Four hearts at 5 each, map at 5, and local events generate 3-5 each, so +25 more is reasonable.)

250:50 ratio is extreme; ANet could have considered that when setting the amounts.

The other side of this is: no, why should ANet reduce the amounts at all? This is a one-time requirement. It's going to bring people back to LS4 maps the same way that people continue to return to LS3 maps for the Wayfarer's Henge back. In that context, 250 mats/map seems light.

I agree here some something i didnt even know is that some map complete s give you 25 while others give you a disappointing 5 this should really be normalized to 25 per map completion. instead of 25 for some and 5 for others.

But yeah the amount should not be lowered (at least at the moment) if player population falls off in those maps too badly in say 5 months from now and metas are hard to complete due to low population then reducing the amounts at that time might be ok.

nothing needs to be scaled down. in fact something ELSE needs to be scaled up.the EXCHANGE OPTION in dragonfall should be put to 25 or 50 of a map currency per day instead of 5.ONLY FIVE PER DAY PER ACCOUNT.that is just insane just to get a full stack one would have to wait FIFTY DAYS to convert volitile magic into currency.or in addition/ alternative the amount of map currency gained from buying them at their respective heart vendors need to be similar to istan. 5 per buy is not really helpful.ORincrease the acquisition of said currency in the events to a reasonable level.

its just idiotically slow or heavy grind level of repetitive boring grind to get those. Id say thunderhead keep and dragon fall are the perfect template to increase aquestition of the currency on older maps

@ShroomOneUp.6913 said:nothing needs to be scaled down. in fact something ELSE needs to be scaled up.the EXCHANGE OPTION in dragonfall should be put to 25 or 50 of a map currency per day instead of 5.ONLY FIVE PER DAY PER ACCOUNT.that is just insane just to get a full stack one would have to wait FIFTY DAYS to convert volitile magic into currency.or in addition/ alternative the amount of map currency gained from buying them at their respective heart vendors need to be similar to istan. 5 per buy is not really helpful.ORincrease the acquisition of said currency in the events to a reasonable level.

its just idiotically slow or heavy grind level of repetitive boring grind to get those. Id say thunderhead keep and dragon fall are the perfect template to increase aquestition of the currency on older maps

That would negate having any reason to go to those maps.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@Rukario.1695 said:I voted no.

Out of the entire collection this is the only thing that really required some effort.

Everyone who is either feeding their Skyscale or has not began at all have plenty of time to get materials.

Like just mentioned, just farm them while you're feeding and waiting the 2 hours for collection unlocks, starting on the 28th.

Time=/=effort. In no point is any effort required for any part of the collection, it's all based around consuming as much time as possible.Contrary to what ArenaNet wants to claim, the Skyscale from a time perspective costs much more than the Griffon does. I would rather have to pay the ~200g difference than give up 250 of each map currency.

It doesn't require effort to participate in Metas, do hearts and map completion, and mine currency nodes as you face off with enemies that are around them? If you don't want to play the game and none of it takes any effort at all, why are you playing? What would even be the point? Pvp? WvW allows you to exchange for map currencies, dunno about Pvp.

The Griffon acquisition method requires participating in bounties and other that a lot of people no longer do any more on top of a cold hard gold requirement.

In either case, if you only have an hour a day you can just farm nodes across the map while using the Jackal and Raptor. You can get upwards to 30~50 a day in an hour. Doing the hearts on each map give you roughly 15~25 per character you do them on.

Obtaining the map currencies necessary isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

When i started to gather the currencies, 2of them i had none, 3 where at about 1/2 a stack and the one from Dragonfall i had more then plenty. In 12-15 hrs of game play i manage to get a full stack of all. I dont think that the 250 requirement is exagerated, but dont expect to get them all by today's reset if you dont or cant put the time into it.Just dont look at it as a grind, just an occasion to revisit maps, do events and enjoy the game.

I'm gonna be revisiting those maps for the next few weeks to gather more, help people and just in case we get something like aurora again.