Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

if it stays at 250, they can keep the mount.yes i farmed mats for Aurora, no problem. For this mount, no way.

srsly that is the most boring and tedious way. farming the same stuff over and over and over again with multiple chars a day, or just one character over weeks again.I did this on the maps for every metacollection. After month they decided "you kno what. DO IT AGAIN!! Thats content !".Remove the accountbound max for farming on some maps and we can talk again.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted - No

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what people were doing when these maps came out? Now I can understand not having these currencies if you've only recently gone into the zones, but everyone else?

I'm not a farmer in any sense, I tend to move around zones because I like doing the events. When all of the 'Desert' living stories came out, I played my way across the map, did completion, did the achievements, did the meta's etc.,

I did this with all of my characters, all nine of them and also completed the stories too. I didn't stay constantly in these zones and moved to other expansions, so some of the time I wasn't gathering the required materials.

By playing the game as I suspect the Developers intended, I've actually got more than the required number of materials. The only zone I'm lower on is Jahai, which I suspect is down to having completed the armour quests.

Whilst I can understand some wanting this mount as soon as possible, the reality is, you have to work for it.

I know it's only my personnal situation, but I was actually on my way doing all of the episodes' achievments progressively. I don't like being forced to do all maps at once when I wanted to do that at my own pace anyway, so yes, I'd personally like it to be reduced. But I might change my mind once I have it? I don't know, I hope so...

@ROMANG.1903 said:I know it's only my personnal situation, but I was actually on my way doing all of the episodes' achievments progressively. I don't like being forced to do all maps at once when I wanted to do that at my own pace anyway, so yes, I'd personally like it to be reduced. But I might change my mind once I have it? I don't know, I hope so...

You’re not being forced to do the maps at a pace other than your own. The skyscale isn’t required for any existing content and it isn’t going anywhere. You can do the episodes at your own pace and you won’t be missing out on anything. Besides, if the currencies were reduced, wouldn’t you still be doing all of the maps at once and not at your own pace?

@Andy.5981 said:Voted - No

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what people were doing when these maps came out? Now I can understand not having these currencies if you've only recently gone into the zones, but everyone else?

I'm not a farmer in any sense, I tend to move around zones because I like doing the events. When all of the 'Desert' living stories came out, I played my way across the map, did completion, did the achievements, did the meta's etc.,

I did this with all of my characters, all nine of them and also completed the stories too. I didn't stay constantly in these zones and moved to other expansions, so some of the time I wasn't gathering the required materials.

By playing the game as I suspect the Developers intended, I've actually got more than the required number of materials. The only zone I'm lower on is Jahai, which I suspect is down to having completed the armour quests.

Whilst I can understand some wanting this mount as soon as possible, the reality is, you have to work for it.

I am willing to work for this mount, and have worked for it. Am still working for it. Please realize that your playstyle is not everyone else's. Mine isn't everyone else's either. When the LW4 maps came out, I completed them all, and spent currencies earned on things the map vendors had. Isn't that partly what they're there for? Now to go back and play the same content in the same maps for the same low rewards is mind-numbingly boring. That's just me; I get that others are enjoying it.

Unless the map currency requirements are lowered, or we can buy more from the vendors in Dragonfall, it's going to take me weeks if not months to get the Skyscale, because I will not spend time doing things I HATE in a game which is supposed to be FUN. And if I don't get the mount, I won't buy skins for it -- don't mean that to sound like a threat; it's just common sense. YMMV

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"ROMANG.1903" said:I know it's only my personnal situation, but I was actually on my way doing all of the episodes' achievments progressively. I don't like being forced to do all maps at once when I wanted to do that at my own pace anyway, so yes, I'd personally like it to be reduced. But I might change my mind once I have it? I don't know, I hope so...

You’re not being forced to do the maps at a pace other than your own. The skyscale isn’t required for any existing content and it isn’t going anywhere. You can do the episodes at your own pace and you won’t be missing out on anything. Besides, if the currencies were reduced, wouldn’t you still be doing all of the maps at once and not at your own pace?

I wouldn't have to stay so long in them. 250 will get me bored before I even get to them in my scheldule... And I hate the argument that "it's not required for anything". Playing the game is not required for anything really. I want the skyscale to enjoy the skyscale, I can give my opinion about how we get to it.

I am not actually bothered by the amount of effort it takes to acquire the mount, I am bothered by the fact that they give us every bit of information bit by bit instead of telling us right away that we'll have to farm map currencies so we could get to it from the begining.

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I am willing to work for this mount, and have worked for it. Am still working for it. Please realize that your playstyle is not everyone else's. Mine isn't everyone else's either. When the LW4 maps came out, I completed them all, and spent currencies earned on things the map vendors had. Isn't that partly what they're there for? Now to go back and play the same content in the same maps for the same low rewards is mind-numbingly boring. That's just me; I get that others are enjoying it.

Unless the map currency requirements are lowered, or we can buy more from the vendors in Dragonfall, it's going to take me weeks if not months to get the Skyscale, because I will not spend time doing things I HATE in a game which is supposed to be FUN. And if I don't get the mount, I won't buy skins for it -- don't mean that to sound like a threat; it's just common sense. YMMV

Absolutely agree that everyone's playstyle is different and it should be up the them how they play, I'm certainly not advocating that the way I play the game should be the way that you should play the game.

If you read my post, I played the same way as you did. I did each LS as they came out, did everything I could on all my characters and I also like you spent currency on the vendors. That as you say, is exactly what they're there for. The net result is however that playing the game in the way I did, which isn't hardcore farming in any way shape or form, I still have enough of the currencies to make the necessary purchases (that is once I've fed the skyscale) - I'm certainly not rushing through it.

This is why I'm puzzled and at a bit of loss as to how people, who played in the fashion you described, which appears to be the same way as I did, are low on these currencies?

@Andy.5981 said:

If you read my post, I played the same way as you did. I did each LS as they came out, did everything I could on all my characters and I also like you spent currency on the vendors. That as you say, is exactly what they're there for. The net result is however that playing the game in the way I did, which isn't hardcore farming in any way shape or form, I still have enough of the currencies to make the necessary purchases (that is once I've fed the skyscale) - I'm certainly not rushing through it.

This is why I'm puzzled and at a bit of loss as to how people, who played in the fashion you described, which appears to be the same way as I did, are low on these currencies?

Thank you so much for a well-worded and logical discussion. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I played the maps, I got X amount of currency (not a lot), spent most but not all of it on whatever the vendors had, and did not go back to the maps because I found them empty and boring. I generally only do the story and map completion with my main because the repetitiveness of doing it with alts doesn't appeal to me for the time I'd spend.

I totally get that ANet wants to make the old maps inviting again, but to me this grinding for currency is not the way to do it. In a few weeks, when the initial rush of Skyscale acquisition farming is past, they'll be empty again. I don't know the solution -- perhaps make rewards less lackluster? (Oh, look. More unidentified common gear. Wow.)

@Andy.5981 said:

Absolutely agree that everyone's playstyle is different and it should be up the them how they play, I'm certainly not advocating that the way I play the game should be the way that you should play the game.

Especially when you know that you can get said currencies just by playing WvW or PVP.Heck, I got the first 4 maps to 2000 of each just by playing WvW. It then took me only a few hours to get 250 in the 5th map, and in Dragonfall it's really quick to get to 250.

It's a MMO. Different things will attract different players.

No. I thought it would be impossible to gather all the currencies but I was very wrong. It went quite fast and I enjoyed it. Got all the currencies over the course of two days by using two characters. In total I would say.. 8 hours? Hard to tell.

For the currency, you literally need to play the game as it is intended to be played: do events, gather materials as you pass them, do heart vendors as you pass them, explore the map to 100%, do the map dailies. Why do people feel so "violated" by this? Why are you doing the Skyscale collection if you don't want to play open world maps as they are intended? Why should it get easier for everyone just because you can't (or don't want to) spend more then 30 minutes a day on GW2? In that case, do you really need a mount like this? Isn't the raptor, that you unlock after a 10min story instance, perfectly enough?

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:You can easily make double or triple that currency in an hour with hearts alone.

Except... no. I don't know what the disconnect is here, but in one hour I can do 3-4 hearts, which gets me (on every map except Istan) 15-20 currency. I'm glad you're so good at getting things done quickly. Really. But I am not.

2-3 hearts take 10-15 minutes with some practice. Do it on multiple characters. Add mining, home instances and Dragonfall vendor.My friend did it from scratch in 2 days, I'm chilling and I'll be done today after 4 days.

If Anet decides to reduce the requirements I expect some unique reward for people who struggled through them.

My vote is no.

Why would people vote no to the currencies nerf? I mean, explain me in which part it has a good design, currencies are annoying and tedious to get, daily limited and a pain to the people that doesn't have them already, the maps are still half dead, the metas of the maps give low rewards, which is the point on leaving it as it is right now? Not having cassuals with the mount? Not making people who already had the currencies and insta burned them mad? I can't understand the point, I have been farming all day, still don't have them, and even if i had i'd still vote yes without any doubt, i would only have the regret of agh, i wish they would have nerfed it before.

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:You can easily make double or triple that currency in an hour with hearts alone.

Except... no. I don't know what the disconnect is here, but in one hour I can do 3-4 hearts, which gets me (on every map except Istan) 15-20 currency. I'm glad you're so good at getting things done quickly. Really. But I am not.

You might want to take a look at the guide and recommendation on how to gather the currencies. Taking 20 minutes per heart is absolutely unrealistic unless you are active avoiding game play. I could name at least 1-2 hearts per map which take no longer than 1-2 minutes even if not absolutely optimized.

Again, you are using absolutely unrealistic expectations to either sensationalize your required time, or haven't bothered actually trying to gather any map resource. Do the fast and easy hearts only, if pressed for time. There is no reason to not gather multiple map resources per day.

People with 0 resources to start with have managed to acquire all the map resources they need within 3 days, and while that is not done with 1-hour per day game play, it is achievable with 3-4 hours per day. Given how inefficient it becomes to keep grinding maps beyond certain daily caps, your assumption for 6 weeks is based on 1-2 hours per week game play.

Personaly I would just normalize the income for the currencies. Ishtan and dragonfall are fairly easy to collect 250 in. The rest take significantly longer with a few being abysmal grinds. Boost the amount of currency for daily's and hearts in the other maps and 250 wouldn't be too bad. I've finished with diflourite and after that grind I never want to see that map agian.

If we compare the skyscale to the new legendary greatsword, we can see what the problem is. The skyscale collections are like Bendy and the Ink Machine. Particularly the chapter in the middle (can't remember which one) where you get sent on a near endless series of fetch quests. You spend the whole time running around in circles doing menial and detached tasks. There is no end in sight, little to no rhyme or reason, nothing to gain elsewhere, no way to measure your progress, no telling what's coming next. It was the most hated chapter in an otherwise beloved indie game.

See, Exordium is kind. You know it is coming from a mile away, and you know what you'll need. Gift of Mastery, Mystic Tribute, the precursor (which is really a whole lot of mithril, elder wood, and a few ascended mats), and the weapon gift of which you already know half of. It makes no qualms about what it is. But the Skyscale is mean. Every day you wake up to find a new burden, and another wall full of random stuff that you weren't expecting.

If I were to translate the gameplay behind earning the skyscale into any other medium, it would be terrible. Imagine a book, where every chapter is released sequentially each week. The contents of each chapter are: man climbs 20 different mountain tops to watch a bird fly away, man hunts and kills 20 non-specific animals of no significance, man climbs 20 trees to collect bird feathers, man climbs the same 20 trees to feed a bird, man climbs the same 20 trees to get an egg, etc. It would be terrible. You're told the end is worth it, about after the third week of reading these meandering stories you'd be pretty ticked off. Now, try putting it into a television show, where the next 7 episodes aren't a self contained story, but a slowly meandering story of meticulous detail and no payoff. Try putting it into a comic book, where each issue is a man making 20 of the same object for the next 7 issues. Try putting it into a song, where for 7 minutes the chorus just loops with a slight alteration every minute.

It's all terrible, right? Now imagine you have to pay a whole lot more for the last chapter/issue/episode. You discover this on the day that the last chapter is released. Of course you're ticked off. That's just another kick in the teeth. But hey, you could always not watch the last episode!

Here is the problem: everything about the skyscale is poorly designed. Hiding all of the collections away is a bad idea. Making these collections take several hours for the average player each is a bad idea. Giving absolutely no indication of financial cost or time investment is a bad idea. Putting so many collections together in one continuous stream is a bad idea. Making nearly every part of these collections function the same way is a bad idea. Arbitrarily gating these collections for vague, touchy-feely reasons is a bad idea. Worst of all, this information was discovered in the worst possible order. First you learn that it'll take a few days. Then you learn that it'll take many more days. Then you learn that you have to pay so it won't take weeks. Then you learn you have to pay even more. Then finally you learn that you have to pay a whole lot more, and the real-time gate behind earning all of these mats is actually longer than the arbitrary gate.

It's like every day you wake up, you go to eat breakfast. You can see it, you can smell it, and just as you're grabbing the fork it gets snatched away. Then, you get punched in the face. Every day, you get punched a little harder. The material costs themselves would've been fine, if Anet was up-front about it weeks before the release. The time gates... were excessive to the point of sadism BUT, if we knew beforehand that it would take so long to get the skyscale, then it wouldn't have been as big of a problem. But, Anet did not let us know. We were left to discover, and what we found we did not like.

@Laurent.3962 said:

@"Alehin.3746" said:Stop being lazy.

Wow, so constructive.Anyways, I voted to reduce it to 150. That seems much more reasonable to me. I'm unlocking a
mount
, not a legendary.

It shouldn't be reduced below 250 because getting map currency is easy enough and doesn't take long. You can use pvp/wvw daily potions, gather on different characters, do hearts and buy 5 of each per npc per character, etc. I did it, and you can do it too!It isn't a "legendary" but it's something at the end of the story arc, all those currencies are something anyone that actually play the game should've gathered. For people that just started or didn't even bother playing the other maps: Oh well, i guess now is the time you guys have to actually put effort into the story maps like everyone that already have the skycale did.

I'm glad the devs made it this way. It feels good having to do things to get cool stuff, it makes gw2 feel like a game instead of a movie. Hopefuly we have more stuff like this in the works!

I started farming kralkatite ore and it was.... fair? I thought that all other currencies would be the same, but nope, they are way harder to farm.

"250 of every S4 map item" seems like a lazy choice as every map is different... why not some balance? For example, given that you get 25 Kralkatite ore per heart completed, and only 5 difluorite crystals per heart completed, so IMO instead of being 250-250 in this case it should be 250-50.

Just make it fair - I won't spend all this time farming on something for a mount that's not even that useful. And maybe retroactively compensate people who already bought the collection items?

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:People that complain about x250 never done Aurora. Here is the trick, don't rush. There would be nothing to do after you get it, so take your time, don't get burned out.

Skyscale isn't a legendary.

Don't get it, what is the problem?

Effort for a legendary and for a blank mount shouldn't be comparable. If a mount had some legendary attributes like shiny effects, trails etc. or additional coloring slots, maybe. But this is a blank mount. You can not compare it to legendary gear.

Nevermore was easier to get than this mount, in terms of time and mental exhaustion. This mount isn't worth the time, some people will take a month to get it.

I probably won't get it until some sort of reduction comes to map currencies. It just isn't worth it. So I guess no skins will be purchased for it, sad.

@Urgi.3504 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:People that complain about x250 never done Aurora. Here is the trick, don't rush. There would be nothing to do after you get it, so take your time, don't get burned out.

Skyscale isn't a legendary.

Don't get it, what is the problem?

Effort for a legendary and for a blank mount shouldn't be comparable. If a mount had some legendary attributes like shiny effects, trails etc. or additional coloring slots, maybe. But this is a blank mount. You can not compare it to legendary gear.

Nevermore was easier to get than this mount, in terms of time and mental exhaustion. This mount isn't worth the time, some people will take a month to get it.

I probably won't get it until some sort of reduction comes to map currencies. It just isn't worth it. So I guess no skins will be purchased for it, sad.

They aren't on the same level at all, it doesn't asks for mystic tribute https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Tribute neither it asks for any of 'Gifts of..'

I woudn't call 4 collections of Nervrmor to be easier, they don't have point and click repetitive mindless actions, they offer quality gameplay with variety of tasks hence it seems easier.