Should the Skyscale map currency be reduced?

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:People that complain about x250 never done Aurora. Here is the trick, don't rush. There would be nothing to do after you get it, so take your time, don't get burned out.

Skyscale isn't a legendary.

Don't get it, what is the problem?

Effort for a legendary and for a blank mount shouldn't be comparable. If a mount had some legendary attributes like shiny effects, trails etc. or additional coloring slots, maybe. But this is a blank mount. You can not compare it to legendary gear.

Nevermore was easier to get than this mount, in terms of time and mental exhaustion. This mount isn't worth the time, some people will take a month to get it.

I probably won't get it until some sort of reduction comes to map currencies. It just isn't worth it. So I guess no skins will be purchased for it, sad.

They aren't on the same level at all, it doesn't asks for mystic tribute
neither it asks for any of 'Gifts of..'

I woudn't call 4 collections of Nervrmor to be easier, they don't have point and click repetitive mindless actions, they offer quality gameplay with variety of tasks hence it seems easier.

I know they aren't, thats the whole point. Acquiring a mount shouldn't resemble acquisition of a legendary.I had more fun making Nevermore than grinding this, its my own subjective feeling.

@Urgi.3504 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:People that complain about x250 never done Aurora. Here is the trick, don't rush. There would be nothing to do after you get it, so take your time, don't get burned out.

Skyscale isn't a legendary.

Don't get it, what is the problem?

Effort for a legendary and for a blank mount shouldn't be comparable. If a mount had some legendary attributes like shiny effects, trails etc. or additional coloring slots, maybe. But this is a blank mount. You can not compare it to legendary gear.

Nevermore was easier to get than this mount, in terms of time and mental exhaustion. This mount isn't worth the time, some people will take a month to get it.

I probably won't get it until some sort of reduction comes to map currencies. It just isn't worth it. So I guess no skins will be purchased for it, sad.

They aren't on the same level at all, it doesn't asks for mystic tribute
neither it asks for any of 'Gifts of..'

I woudn't call 4 collections of Nervrmor to be easier, they don't have point and click repetitive mindless actions, they offer quality gameplay with variety of tasks hence it seems easier.

I know they aren't, thats the whole point. Acquiring a mount shouldn't resemble acquisition of a legendary.I had more fun making Nevermore than grinding this, its my own subjective feeling.

I won't argue with that very questionable collections.

You really think Nevermore was easier? 250 amalgamated gemstones+250 Crystalline ore + gift of fortune? If that was required for this mount THEN the uproar would be immense.

Incidentally,a week and a half after release 4174 have unlocked the skyscale. That's just the folks registered to gw2 efficiency. 11 days. 16831 have finished the Nevermore IV collection, but that doesn't mean they finished Nevermore in YEARS. Chuka is in the 8000 and HOPE even less.

I'm betting there are not 4000 folks with Exordium, though I could be wrong. Not sure how to find that one.

Edit: I almost forgot. How could I possibly forget. Maybe it's like childbirth. But for Nevermore you ALSO need 100% map completion of HOT, the vast majority of masteries(not the LW ones) and a metric ton of map currencies.

@"Limodriver.4106" said:smart ppl have 250+ each map ready to go dont blame Anet when u have over 1 year to farm the currency but u decided not to do it.

Yes, ofc I will go and farm 250+ of each map for something I won't use (just to stockpile) and actually has a hint that says "You can convert them to volatile magic by double-clicking on it".

I really wish you could convert volatile magic to these currencies without it being also time gated (to 5 bundles per account per day)

@Andy.5981 said:Voted - No

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what people were doing when these maps came out? Now I can understand not having these currencies if you've only recently gone into the zones, but everyone else?

I'm not a farmer in any sense, I tend to move around zones because I like doing the events. When all of the 'Desert' living stories came out, I played my way across the map, did completion, did the achievements, did the meta's etc.,

I did this with all of my characters, all nine of them and also completed the stories too. I didn't stay constantly in these zones and moved to other expansions, so some of the time I wasn't gathering the required materials.

By playing the game as I suspect the Developers intended, I've actually got more than the required number of materials. The only zone I'm lower on is Jahai, which I suspect is down to having completed the armour quests.

Whilst I can understand some wanting this mount as soon as possible, the reality is, you have to work for it.

some sense at last.

@"Rattengeist.8165" said:No. I thought it would be impossible to gather all the currencies but I was very wrong. It went quite fast and I enjoyed it. Got all the currencies over the course of two days by using two characters. In total I would say.. 8 hours? Hard to tell.

For the currency, you literally need to play the game as it is intended to be played: do events, gather materials as you pass them, do heart vendors as you pass them, explore the map to 100%, do the map dailies. Why do people feel so "violated" by this? Why are you doing the Skyscale collection if you don't want to play open world maps as they are intended? Why should it get easier for everyone just because you can't (or don't want to) spend more then 30 minutes a day on GW2? In that case, do you really need a mount like this? Isn't the raptor, that you unlock after a 10min story instance, perfectly enough?

I think the reason it feels so annoying is that it's going against precedent and expectations players have come to rely on for the past few years. Normally, as a working person I only play for a couple of hours on weekend days slowly working away at the things I like doing: hunting achievements, progressing fractals, completing the story on alts, collecting for my Astralaria and so on. So far, even with limited playtime it never felt impossible to unlock or get something in the game or that you'd have to do a ton of monotonous tasks to get there.

After trying to farm for the last collection step I decided to stop collecting for the skyscale as it would have meant dedicating all my available playtime to it for a long time to come. I was hoping it would farm pretty quickly, but after trying the difluorite I quickly realized it caps you after harvesting around 150 nodes (around 50 diflu in your bag which took me about 2 hours to do) would mean many weekends to finally complete the mount if I didn't fancy replaying all the hearts again on my 10 level 80 alts. That just does not seem fun to me. Might give it another try down the line with the WvW reward tracks, but for now I'm kinda skyscaled out. Really a shame because I had enjoyed it so far. I thought the little sun's refuge area they had added was cute and it was fun to come back and visit the skyscale every day. I was looking forward to doing some map completions in core maps on it to have a way to liven it up - but the beetle and griffon will have to do :)

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:If we compare the skyscale to the new legendary greatsword, we can see what the problem is. The skyscale collections are like Bendy and the Ink Machine. Particularly the chapter in the middle (can't remember which one) where you get sent on a near endless series of fetch quests. You spend the whole time running around in circles doing menial and detached tasks. There is no end in sight, little to no rhyme or reason, nothing to gain elsewhere, no way to measure your progress, no telling what's coming next. It was the most hated chapter in an otherwise beloved indie game.

See, Exordium is kind. You know it is coming from a mile away, and you know what you'll need. Gift of Mastery, Mystic Tribute, the precursor (which is really a whole lot of mithril, elder wood, and a few ascended mats), and the weapon gift of which you already know half of. It makes no qualms about what it is. But the Skyscale is mean. Every day you wake up to find a new burden, and another wall full of random stuff that you weren't expecting.

If I were to translate the gameplay behind earning the skyscale into any other medium, it would be terrible. Imagine a book, where every chapter is released sequentially each week. The contents of each chapter are: man climbs 20 different mountain tops to watch a bird fly away, man hunts and kills 20 non-specific animals of no significance, man climbs 20 trees to collect bird feathers, man climbs the same 20 trees to feed a bird, man climbs the same 20 trees to get an egg, etc. It would be terrible. You're told the end is worth it, about after the third week of reading these meandering stories you'd be pretty ticked off. Now, try putting it into a television show, where the next 7 episodes aren't a self contained story, but a slowly meandering story of meticulous detail and no payoff. Try putting it into a comic book, where each issue is a man making 20 of the same object for the next 7 issues. Try putting it into a song, where for 7 minutes the chorus just loops with a slight alteration every minute.

It's all terrible, right? Now imagine you have to pay a whole lot more for the last chapter/issue/episode. You discover this on the day that the last chapter is released. Of course you're ticked off. That's just another kick in the teeth. But hey, you could always not watch the last episode!

Here is the problem: everything about the skyscale is poorly designed. Hiding all of the collections away is a bad idea. Making these collections take several hours for the average player each is a bad idea. Giving absolutely no indication of financial cost or time investment is a bad idea. Putting so many collections together in one continuous stream is a bad idea. Making nearly every part of these collections function the same way is a bad idea. Arbitrarily gating these collections for vague, touchy-feely reasons is a bad idea. Worst of all, this information was discovered in the worst possible order. First you learn that it'll take a few days. Then you learn that it'll take many more days. Then you learn that you have to pay so it won't take weeks. Then you learn you have to pay even more. Then finally you learn that you have to pay a whole lot more, and the real-time gate behind earning all of these mats is actually longer than the arbitrary gate.

It's like every day you wake up, you go to eat breakfast. You can see it, you can smell it, and just as you're grabbing the fork it gets snatched away. Then, you get punched in the face. Every day, you get punched a little harder. The material costs themselves would've been fine, if Anet was up-front about it weeks before the release. The time gates... were excessive to the point of sadism BUT, if we knew beforehand that it would take so long to get the skyscale, then it wouldn't have been as big of a problem. But, Anet did not let us know. We were left to discover, and what we found we did not like.

Their are some really good things from the collection tho.

The way to skip JPs.The feeling of growing and playing the skyscale.

Youre book analogy only marks the bad points and these points are only bad because they are mmo mechanics translated to a book.

Why is everyone in such a hurry. The mount just barely came out and everyone is already crying how it takes to long.I agree that farming is no fun at all but you can get these currencies in so many different ways. Just play the game and don't worry to much how fast the mount will come. It is just another mount.

@Etria.3642 said:You really think Nevermore was easier? 250 amalgamated gemstones+250 Crystalline ore + gift of fortune? If that was required for this mount THEN the uproar would be immense.

For me, it was. + you can buy materials that you lack, like amalgamated gemstones you mentioned. With mounts HoT is easy to finish.

Then again, that might just be me happily doing things knowing reward is a shiny legendary with trail and footsteps and cool animation. Unlike Skyscale, which has nothing unique to justify the grind.

@Alehin.3746 said:

@Alehin.3746 said:Stop being lazy.

Wow, so constructive.Anyways, I voted to reduce it to 150. That seems much more reasonable to me. I'm unlocking a
mount
, not a legendary.

It shouldn't be reduced below 250 because getting map currency is easy enough and doesn't take long. You can use pvp/wvw daily potions, gather on different characters, do hearts and buy 5 of each per npc per character, etc. I did it, and you can do it too!It isn't a "legendary" but it's something at the end of the story arc, all those currencies are something anyone that actually play the game should've gathered. For people that just started or didn't even bother playing the other maps: Oh well, i guess now is the time you guys have to actually put effort into the story maps like everyone that already have the skycale did.

I'm glad the devs made it this way. It feels good having to do things to get cool stuff, it makes gw2 feel like a game instead of a movie. Hopefuly we have more stuff like this in the works!

Yeah, cool. You did it your way. I'm doing it my way. I'm not going to break my back doing content I dislike just to "speed" it up. By the way, only need Branded Masses and Mistborne Motes now. But sure, I must be "lazy" because I think this should be reduced to a more reasonable requirement: 150 of these currencies. 150 still requires effort and for you to play the map, if that's your argument and logic.

Another way to get some map currencies.: If you do any WvW the reward track for a specific currency will net you 50 of a certain type at the end each time you finish it. You also get small amounts of the currency on the reward track as it progresses. 7 total more. So 57 for finishing the track. And you can repeat it as many times as necessary in one day.

It should be reduced. Trying to revive older maps with player isn't the best way to approach the problem by recycling old content to introduce new content. Its not as healthy to the game as it seems. I say this because players are only there doing events that only benefit them for the most part. For example people dropping & leaving events as soon as their hearts are done so they can get their currency to move on. Leaving other to finish alone. Its really only a temporary fix. Eventually majority of players over time will get the achievement done leaving the maps stagnate once again. The amount of currency is just offsetting the inevitable.

A more permanent fix would be to increase the continuity of profitability of lower populated maps that matches say Silverwaste. By increased profitability of hearts & events.

@yann.1946 said:

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:If we compare the skyscale to the new legendary greatsword, we can see what the problem is. The skyscale collections are like Bendy and the Ink Machine. Particularly the chapter in the middle (can't remember which one) where you get sent on a near endless series of fetch quests. You spend the whole time running around in circles doing menial and detached tasks. There is no end in sight, little to no rhyme or reason, nothing to gain elsewhere, no way to measure your progress, no telling what's coming next. It was the most hated chapter in an otherwise beloved indie game.

See, Exordium is kind. You know it is coming from a mile away, and you know what you'll need. Gift of Mastery, Mystic Tribute, the precursor (which is really a whole lot of mithril, elder wood, and a few ascended mats), and the weapon gift of which you already know half of. It makes no qualms about what it is. But the Skyscale is mean. Every day you wake up to find a new burden, and another wall full of random stuff that you weren't expecting.

If I were to translate the gameplay behind earning the skyscale into any other medium, it would be terrible. Imagine a book, where every chapter is released sequentially each week. The contents of each chapter are: man climbs 20 different mountain tops to watch a bird fly away, man hunts and kills 20 non-specific animals of no significance, man climbs 20 trees to collect bird feathers, man climbs the same 20 trees to feed a bird, man climbs the same 20 trees to get an egg, etc. It would be terrible. You're told the end is worth it, about after the third week of reading these meandering stories you'd be pretty ticked off. Now, try putting it into a television show, where the next 7 episodes aren't a self contained story, but a slowly meandering story of meticulous detail and no payoff. Try putting it into a comic book, where each issue is a man making 20 of the same object for the next 7 issues. Try putting it into a song, where for 7 minutes the chorus just loops with a slight alteration every minute.

It's all terrible, right? Now imagine you have to pay a whole lot more for the last chapter/issue/episode. You discover this on the day that the last chapter is released. Of course you're ticked off. That's just another kick in the teeth. But hey, you could always not watch the last episode!

Here is the problem: everything about the skyscale is poorly designed. Hiding all of the collections away is a bad idea. Making these collections take several hours for the average player each is a bad idea. Giving absolutely no indication of financial cost or time investment is a bad idea. Putting so many collections together in one continuous stream is a bad idea. Making nearly every part of these collections function the same way is a bad idea. Arbitrarily gating these collections for vague, touchy-feely reasons is a bad idea. Worst of all, this information was discovered in the worst possible order. First you learn that it'll take a few days. Then you learn that it'll take many more days. Then you learn that you have to pay so it won't take weeks. Then you learn you have to pay even more. Then finally you learn that you have to pay a whole lot more, and the real-time gate behind earning all of these mats is actually longer than the arbitrary gate.

It's like every day you wake up, you go to eat breakfast. You can see it, you can smell it, and just as you're grabbing the fork it gets snatched away. Then, you get punched in the face. Every day, you get punched a little harder. The material costs themselves would've been fine, if Anet was up-front about it weeks before the release. The time gates... were excessive to the point of sadism BUT, if we knew beforehand that it would take so long to get the skyscale, then it wouldn't have been as big of a problem. But, Anet did not let us know. We were left to discover, and what we found we did not like.

Their are some really good things from the collection tho.

The way to skip JPs.The feeling of growing and playing the skyscale.

Youre book analogy only marks the bad points and these points are only bad because they are mmo mechanics translated to a book.

It really doesn't have good things. Almost all of these collections are "go to random place and press F," or "Go to random place and kill an enemy." Repeat this... 220 times. I'm not joking. I counted how many of these little trinkets and baubles that you have to collect, and it is 220. This isn't a question of medium translation, because 220 of the same thing in any medium is terrible. The only part that feels like playing with the skyscale is when you're forced to play with the skyscale. Everything else is just a meandering fetch quest of meaningless monotony. The way to skip JP's is just a way to impose an inordinate monetary cost as well.

If you want to compare it to a good collection, take Caladbolg. See, that collection actually adds something. You get a unique boss fight, where you have to achieve something to get it. The skyscale adds... almost nothing. The one thing it does add is the mini-game taken from the Necropolis heart quest. Otherwise, the skyscale just makes demands.

The irony of all this is that the closest thing the skyscale actually has to achievement is the currency requirement. If the mount just required the LWS4 mats, it would be a lot more tolerable. If I were to remake this collection, I'd condense everything in Saving to Riding down into getting an item that requires the currency. Instead of one piece of each saddle, each item would need to be purchased from the VM vendors and that item would complete the entire portion of that collection. An incubator, a playset, the saddle, a bag of dragon chow, etc.

I voted Yes. Call me lazy or salty, I really do not care, but this entire collection has been a pain, I seriously do not understand why they thought it would be a good idea. It's a big mess. Finally I am in the last part, but now I have to farm the currencies. I just do not understand why we were not allowed to buy the saddle for volatile magic. Devs should have allowed to buy the chair with VM. There are other better ways to make us buy the saddle, the simple fact of making us farm ALL of LS4 currencies is abusive.

I will finish the Riding Skyscale collection, I have gone too far to ignore it, but at this moment, honestly, I feel a kind of contempt for the devs.

i like how people are trying to defend not changing anything by saying tons of people have it and that just hurts them when in reality only a very small minority of players will have the skyscale before update compared to how many want it/will get it by tuesday. there are MULTITUDES more people that wont have it before the update simply because they cant devote that much time to it. you get the prestige of having it first and the equivalent of posting first on youtube. you get to use it sooner rather than later. you get to abuse how it works to have an easier time in game before the majority of people. you get to (and probably will, dont lie. at some point youre gonna slip up or ENTIRELY do it from the start) make fun of people for being "land people/peasants" in good fun. it's already happening lol. funny for about 30 seconds each time as people attempt multiple ways of reaching the hovering skyscale players.

but back to the point, its entirely optional and shouldnt require as much as it does. if it were a little faster and had MUCH better control and could turn faster than it'd be more justifiable, but it's just as slow, if not seemingly slower, then most mounts when attempting to change direction. in the upcoming weeks im sure everyone will realize how powerful the hovering and wall cling will be opposed to missing a ledge and falling or misjudging a jump and hitting the ledge then having to restart all over.

@"Aetheldrake.6395" said:i like how people are trying to defend not changing anything by saying tons of people have it and that just hurts them when in reality only a very small minority of players will have the skyscale before update compared to how many want it/will get it by tuesday. there are MULTITUDES more people that wont have it before the update simply because they cant devote that much time to it. you get the prestige of having it first and the equivalent of posting first on youtube. you get to use it sooner rather than later. you get to abuse how it works to have an easier time in game before the majority of people. you get to (and probably will, dont lie. at some point youre gonna slip up or ENTIRELY do it from the start) make fun of people for being "land people/peasants" in good fun. it's already happening lol. funny for about 30 seconds each time as people attempt multiple ways of reaching the hovering skyscale players.

but back to the point, its entirely optional and shouldnt require as much as it does. if it were a little faster and had MUCH better control and could turn faster than it'd be more justifiable, but it's just as slow, if not seemingly slower, then most mounts when attempting to change direction. in the upcoming weeks im sure everyone will realize how powerful the hovering and wall cling will be opposed to missing a ledge and falling or misjudging a jump and hitting the ledge then having to restart all over.

I like how people are presumptions about others and what they do or do not do with their Skyscale.

The amount of people getting the mount grows constantly at a rate of approximately 800-900 gw2efficiency accounts per day. Given the total amount of approximately 90,000 players (46% of registered accounts) on gw2efficiency which own a griffon and beetle (as baseline reference which accounts are getting optional mounts), that's around 1% of the total registered player base per day (currently at around 5% of registered accounts with griffon/bettle). Given we are not even 1 week post the point of when the mount became first available (this monday) and the accompanying knowledge that 250 map resources are required, that is a decent unlock rate for an end season reward.

Most issues are not present any longer or will get addressed next week Tuesday.

• the time gates will get changed, though I don't hear nearly as many complaints any longer so theoretically this could even get skipped
  • the entire collection is known, no surprises any longer
  • prices on the TP are dropping and have dropped significantly from original first and second day spikes
  • all season 4 maps see more activity as a direct result of required materials

The mount is entirely optional. Optional means people can decide if they want to get it or not. The fact that it's optional is a main reason why it can be as expensive as the developers see fit (and even here, interesting enough the great majority of voters in this thread are against an adjustment while the most commenting are for a change).

My guess remains: the vast majority of players do not care or do not care enough to complain on the forums, and will eventually get or not get the mount. The vocal minority here will either eventually get the mount, not get the mount, quit or simply keep complaining until they become so insignificant that they stop. It's the griffon all over again, and the complaints about it being to expansive have also died down.

@Cyninja.2954 said:It's the griffon all over again, and the complaints about it being to expansive have also died down.

Difference between Skyscale and Griffon. Griffon is gamebreaking. Skyscale a boring mount which brings nothing new.the effort for the mount is way too high.

250 Inscribed Shards is pain. i did it for Dauntless and the backback. doing it again i want to kill myself.

I have acquired Skyscale 2 days ago after killing myself farming with 5 alts.Most of the people won't even bother, and many of my friends in particular have no intentions to farm, they hate grinding AND farming! One lost will to even login to GW2 after finishing all collections except Saddle one with me.The other friend lost will to continue after I told him what is required...and after hearing that Skyscale in general lacks a lot and is worse than what other mounts provide.That's how it affects many people it seems.

I support that the currency gets lowered a bit, for the sake of making it easier for people who have 0 of these and despise farming in general. I don't care if I spent hours grinding, I care that people resume playing the game, so no 'ill-will' from my part even if I already got the dragon.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Something else that I just realized: getting the currency isn't a waste of our time. Why? Because you're getting money for it. I have 100 treasure hunting kits sitting in my bank, waiting for me to play again. Doing all of the metas in the LWS4 maps give out rewards for completing them.

you know there is a reason people dont go to these maps any more, cuz they have no rewards. i had 0 currency of the last 5 maps so i farmed all the of them and all i got was like 10-15g and some vm 1-2kand after a month or two the maps will die again and you wont find any one to do any events