WvW is now unplayable.... cannot buy mount without expansions.

Ryan.3675

@iKeostuKen.2738 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:I almost hate to say this but seriously, the rest of us paid and paid again and did all the grinding. Sorry but it’s part of keeping the game makers in business, as well as being fair to the thousands that paid the price.

Lets be honest, No one bought this expac for a mount in WvW. This is the worst reasoning for why it shouldnt be for everyone.

I Did, could not care less for the elites ( that are terrible) nor the pve parts. I agree with the OP Wvw is different from other game modes and mount is too much of a change to be limited to the expac. ( mounts in wvw have much more use so should be bind to expac)

• 6 months later...

It's August 2020 and there is still NO option to buy or rent a mount in WvW without the expansion packs? Multiple friends and another person in my household quit this game due to this. We only play GW2 for WvW. We are not going to buy expansions just for a mount.

Not allowing mounts in WvW without the expansions is a game breaking feature, and this game will never grow. Summit1g started streaming this game, and players will quit once they find out they can't use a mount in WvW.

Again, I only played GW2 for the WvW. I do not want or need the expansions. I just want a mount in WvW, and it's not worth paying for an expansion just for a mount. Staff elementalists are fine without an expansion, so don't use the "you need the new specializations anyway" excuse.

Please finally fix this issue.

• Haha 1

@"Ryan.3675" said:It's August 2020 and there is still NO option to buy or rent a mount in WvW without the expansion packs? Multiple friends and another person in my household quit this game due to this. We only play GW2 for WvW. We are not going to buy expansions just for a mount.

Not allowing mounts in WvW without the expansions is a game breaking feature, and this game will never grow. Summit1g started streaming this game, and players will quit once they find out they can't use a mount in WvW.

Again, I only played GW2 for the WvW. I do not want or need the expansions. I just want a mount in WvW, and it's not worth paying for an expansion just for a mount. Staff elementalists are fine without an expansion, so don't use the "you need the new specializations anyway" excuse.

Please finally fix this issue.

The base game is f2p, if you want to use mounts then pay $30 or whatever for the xpac bundle. It's not too much to ask.

In addition warclaw gives unmounted players a run speed boost to keep up with the mounted players. So maybe if your multiple anecdotal friends go in together one of you can afford the xpac and give the others the boost after you level it up. Or you know do what we use to do and build in swiftness.

@Fengzhou.9853 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:As a paying member of this game that owns both expansions, I am fine with a rented version.

It would make as a good selling point for one but it also gives WvW something unique.You can go to PvP to try fully maxed out characters, so I see no issue in making WvW a place to go if you want to try the basic mount. It might actually increase sales and population.

I agree.

NOT having a rental service, will just make people stop playing who didn't get in on the mount when it first came out and people where rushing to get the collection done.

It's quite an unfun experience to get left behind/constantly creamed by enemies :<

Get a commander tag and create your own squad in that case. With a squad you will be able to see other players around (which is needed for Blessing) and it make it possible to see if there are any getting attacked that. If there are player with Warclaw in our squad then they need to unlock https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warclaw%27s_Blessing (total cost 16 WXP) and you and everybody that are running close enough will have that buff. Remember that even people with Warclaw can be in combat which means that wont be able to mount up when they need to away from a zerg.

You will miss out on Elite specialization when you only have core or HoT and play in WvW.

@"Ryan.3675" said:It's August 2020 and there is still NO option to buy or rent a mount in WvW without the expansion packs? Multiple friends and another person in my household quit this game due to this. We only play GW2 for WvW. We are not going to buy expansions just for a mount.

Please finally fix this issue.Yet you are still here playing WvW huh?

Base PoF + HoT cost €30.

A single mount skin cost €25.

Think about that for a moment. Think real hard.

IMO it would be absolute hilarity if Anet offered access to the warclaw only to those that dont want to buy expansions for... €25.

Hey you'd get what you want, right? Cheaper than the expansions!

They did introduce a WXP trait that lets you share your mount speed with a friend.

Aside from that everything already said about the mount fiasco still holds true.

It's quite sad how the Warclaw made it in before Alliances and with such a margin. Good priorities there, rewriting the physics and changing the maps to accomodate the mount while they seem to have major issues rewriting the physical confines of the mode and creating new maps that are actually conducive to the mode that they are put into.

Eight years in the scoring system still doesn't reflect who performs best on even matchups.

We still have a queue system so you have to wait to play. We still do not have a lobby even though every other mode has lobbies and hubs.

We still have a server system with full servers so people can't come play the game with friends and paid transfers on a four year-old ad-hoc fix.

@kraai.7265 said:whatwhat

@shiri.4257 said:p2w would have to imply that you are paying to win something. what exactly are you winning in wvw?

You win the chance to run away from any fight you might loose, have a free pass over any wvw zone with no fear of getting killed, you win an extra hp bar and 3 dodges-

Why would I want to engage in a fight I might lose? I would rather escape and come back with more allies for an assured victory!

Warclaw is not mandatory. You can still run. And if someone with a claw is nearby, they speedboost you.

Stop being cheap. You use the services, you generate costs. It is mandatory for every company to make money to cover those costs. Buckle up and pay, if you don't want to run. But stop being agressive about it. Because if you don't pay, you are basically leeching off the paying customers.

Why do people think a once of payment entitles them to years of content and updates.

If you can't afford the expansion, suck it up, everyone else has paid, why do you think you deserve the same without paying for it.

Infact anet should go the route of a monthly subscription. Atleast then we should get consistent updates and a lag free service. When will people realise that a once of payment is not enough to fund a mmo?

@kraai.7265 said:whatwhat

@shiri.4257 said:p2w would have to imply that you are paying to win something. what exactly are you winning in wvw?

You win the chance to run away from any fight you might loose, have a free pass over any wvw zone with no fear of getting killed, you win an extra hp bar and 3 dodges-

Clearly you've not tried solo roaming vs Gandara. Also it's 2 dodges on Warclaw, not 3.

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:06 PM, Ryan.3675 said:

Just getting back into the game. I cannot afford any expansions, and I want to play WvW, which is one of my all time favorite game modes. I cannot keep up to my group without a mount. This game is now unplayable for me. This is a very disappointing feature that has been added. Please make it so that people without expansions can use or "rent" a mount only in WvW. It is a game killer.

Clearly understand that because I had the same experience.  You can't keep up on foot and the enemy players will just pick you off like cowards the moment you get isolated.  What I don't understand is, why the "Devs" didn't see this coming to begin with...it's as plain as day.

A rental system is the best way to go because you can already "rent a griffon" in game...so why not a WvW mount?  This even has connection with the idea I dropped in forum some time ago about how players fairly new to fracs could benefit from an NPC rental system as well.  Lets face it, older players who do fracs are way ahead and if you're in early T1, you're going to have a hard time trying to find anyone that's willing to run multiple fracs at your level.  So why not do the Guildwars 1 thing and allow players to hire NPCs to run fracs with until they catch up with older players?  It can't hurt because you'll end up spending more coin for NPCs the higher level/tier you go in fracs, so once you catch up to older players, you wouldn't want to continue using the system because it'll cost too much gold at that point...that's how you control the usage.

There's so much the "Devs" could be doing to polish up the game and fix issues that happen as an MMO gets older...like older players moving on out of reach.  It won't hurt to insert these "gap closers", it'll only make GW2 a more polished and tighter developed game.

As for expansions....  I don't mind spending money because game development is a business/job, which is why I've bought all expansions (including EOD) and spend money in the "cashshop."  As someone who's been with the game before POF came out, I can say...I'm NOT in love with GW2.

It's the things that can be fixed that are holding the game back from really being something.  Not being able to find frac players at lower frac levels...  Not being able to craft legendary without going through WvW, PvP or Raids....  Cool downs on crafting certain items, which makes zero sense...  No mount in WvW so you can't keep up....  Having to create a special build just for PvP instead of having one build for all (like in WOW)....  Gold sinks are a little too harsh since farming gold is done over days or even weeks depending on how much you need...  Not being able to sell directly to players, items you craft....  Infusions in TP are way too expensive....  Having legendary weapons in the TP but not armor....  The fact armor types don't really mean a thing....  The fact ability attribues are useless because the time limits are too small; 1 second of this...3 seconds of that...

You basically get nothing from most skill attributes in the game because of this and that's BAD!!!  The WORST concept I've seen in any MMORPG!!!  What's the point of me stacking concentration to increase boon durations if the increase is so little you can't even notice it?  What's the point in having 1 second might because it's gone before you can even drop an attack?  What's the point in having tiny little heal effects when you're being hit for 10+K damage a pop?  If you say it helps, you're lying and don't give me the whole group thing, I get that GW2 is not base on Tank, Healer DPS, etc...  I'm not saying give super heals, I'm just saying make them count more, especially for anyone that does not stack power ("zerker") because small fry in Drizzlewood do enormous damage and if you can't "zerk" kill them fast...  "Gawd" help you then.

For example...as a support Necro...  You're not built on might/power...not if you're a total support Necro.  You have to stay alive by healing, absorbing damage (shielding boons) and killing your enemy.  Here's the thing...  You can only do DOT (damage over time) and when look at some of the attributes on skills...  The durations are so low or the effect amount is so low...  You do good to stay alive at all in a place like Drizzlewood because the enemies there are high in defense or something and only "zerks" can kill them quickly.  If you're a support player, you feel weak as hell in Drizzlewood and that's with ascension gear on.  The game is basically all about damage...it's gone to the"zerks" so to say and a big part of that is due to the ridiculous low boon durations.

That's one thing WOW did better...  If you buffed yourself on that game, you saw and felt the difference.  You didn't have these useless 1 to 3 seconds perks that don't stop a deer in Drizzlewood from killing you.  That might sound like a joke, but seriously...  I saw a player in Drizzlwood trying to kill a deer and coudn't do so, so they just gave up before the deer killed them.  That players was most likely a support build player...a DOT damage player.... OR they could have been a conditional damage based player which is still DOT.

And easy fix would be, increase overall healing but handi-cap it as a player stacks power (percision, etc) so if they go full "zerk", everything would be the same for them but support players would get the benefit of better healing because they are not stacking power, percision and...forgot that third "zerk" attribute but you know that they are.  Support players are going to stack healing, conditional damage, concentration, expertise, etc...  This will help the support players not only with supporting the whole group better...but staying alive because the healing will make up for the slow DOT attack style, especially on a deadly small fry map like Drizzlewood.

And what's up with all the Knock Downs in the game now?  Small fry enemies are like world Bosses now because you spend 90 percent of your time on the ground.  This is also making my action tray none responsive because the knock downs happen as you click on an action; really poor choice adding that in.  In fact, it's the only MMORPG where I've seen such a thing.

If World of Warcraft were to go totally free to play with just an in-game shop like GW2 and sell all expansions in one pack for a reasonable price, I would considered going back to it just because WOW was well polished.  Bad concepts for the game but it was well polished.  Looks like FF14 online is still King.  I'm a Final Fantasy Fan by the way...  Loved FF 7,  8,  9 and 10.

Edited by Horace.3184
  • Haha 2

as i recently raised a new character (3 months old by now), it's not all crazy to gear and build it. having no mount is annoying, but u can get it within roughly two weeks. surely, helps if u're aware roughly how to farm stuff within wvw. the design fail rather was, to even put mounts into Wvw.

necro for example was easy: core necro can be made bulky quite easily. i played it basically like a scourge and used shroud as panicbutton. signet of movement on swap for one well (so out of battle: signet, in battle well of suffering or corruption), spectral walk... and alone with these ur yet pretty able to keep up to most squads. friendly warclaws give u speedshare also, i think

the "knock downs" = CC is afaik overwhelming, as they are easy to spam, easy to chain and many skills lost additional stability in some of the later years' updates.

funny that u criticize "low boon durations", bc the "boonballs" is what many others cry again about 😉

before feb20, the dmg coefficients been significantly higher. supports COULD do dmg and even kill bad dps players. anet messed up Wvw balance extremly and made the overall situation way worse than it was with a nerf-initiative that they called "balance patches"

that's basically the story there.

about the OP... man, the game's expansions sofar without EoD cost only 30€. that is nothing to complain about really. look at all the expensive digital games on consoles, where one game costs double amount of this, and even the average gw2 player will get way more hours out of HoT+PoF than of any console game, i bet.

the game is still fun if u play it with others, especially in Wvw. for me its mostly fun to tryhard there, as wiping other groups is more fun (for me) than anything. and to just roleplay as defender, u don't need a lot. i started as well like that on my first character.

5 hours ago, Horace.3184 said:

Clearly understand that because I had the same experience.  You can't keep up on foot and the enemy players will just pick you off like cowards the moment you get isolated.  What I don't understand is, why the "Devs" didn't see this coming to begin with...it's as plain as day.

A rental system is the best way to go because you can already "rent a griffon" in game...so why not a WvW mount?  This even has connection with the idea I dropped in forum some time ago about how players fairly new to fracs could benefit from an NPC rental system as well.  Lets face it, older players who do fracs are way ahead and if you're in early T1, you're going to have a hard time trying to find anyone that's willing to run multiple fracs at your level.  So why not do the Guildwars 1 thing and allow players to hire NPCs to run fracs with until they catch up with older players?  It can't hurt because you'll end up spending more coin for NPCs the higher level/tier you go in fracs, so once you catch up to older players, you wouldn't want to continue using the system because it'll cost too much gold at that point...that's how you control the usage.

There's so much the "Devs" could be doing to polish up the game and fix issues that happen as an MMO gets older...like older players moving on out of reach.  It won't hurt to insert these "gap closers", it'll only make GW2 a more polished and tighter developed game.

As for expansions....  I don't mind spending money because game development is a business/job, which is why I've bought all expansions (including EOD) and spend money in the "cashshop."  As someone who's been with the game before POF came out, I can say...I'm NOT in love with GW2.

It's the things that can be fixed that are holding the game back from really being something.  Not being able to find frac players at lower frac levels...  Not being able to craft legendary without going through WvW, PvP or Raids....  Cool downs on crafting certain items, which makes zero sense...  No mount in WvW so you can't keep up....  Having to create a special build just for PvP instead of having one build for all (like in WOW)....  Gold sinks are a little too harsh since farming gold is done over days or even weeks depending on how much you need...  Not being able to sell directly to players, items you craft....  Infusions in TP are way too expensive....  Having legendary weapons in the TP but not armor....  The fact armor types don't really mean a thing....  The fact ability attribues are useless because the time limits are too small; 1 second of this...3 seconds of that...

You basically get nothing from most skill attributes in the game because of this and that's BAD!!!  The WORST concept I've seen in any MMORPG!!!  What's the point of me stacking concentration to increase boon durations if the increase is so little you can't even notice it?  What's the point in having 1 second might because it's gone before you can even drop an attack?  What's the point in having tiny little heal effects when you're being hit for 10+K damage a pop?  If you say it helps, you're lying and don't give me the whole group thing, I get that GW2 is not base on Tank, Healer DPS, etc...  I'm not saying give super heals, I'm just saying make them count more, especially for anyone that does not stack power ("zerker") because small fry in Drizzlewood do enormous damage and if you can't "zerk" kill them fast...  "Gawd" help you then.

For example...as a support Necro...  You're not built on might/power...not if you're a total support Necro.  You have to stay alive by healing, absorbing damage (shielding boons) and killing your enemy.  Here's the thing...  You can only do DOT (damage over time) and when look at some of the attributes on skills...  The durations are so low or the effect amount is so low...  You do good to stay alive at all in a place like Drizzlewood because the enemies there are high in defense or something and only "zerks" can kill them quickly.  If you're a support player, you feel weak as hell in Drizzlewood and that's with ascension gear on.  The game is basically all about damage...it's gone to the"zerks" so to say and a big part of that is due to the ridiculous low boon durations.

That's one thing WOW did better...  If you buffed yourself on that game, you saw and felt the difference.  You didn't have these useless 1 to 3 seconds perks that don't stop a deer in Drizzlewood from killing you.  That might sound like a joke, but seriously...  I saw a player in Drizzlwood trying to kill a deer and coudn't do so, so they just gave up before the deer killed them.  That players was most likely a support build player...a DOT damage player.... OR they could have been a conditional damage based player which is still DOT.

And easy fix would be, increase overall healing but handi-cap it as a player stacks power (percision, etc) so if they go full "zerk", everything would be the same for them but support players would get the benefit of better healing because they are not stacking power, percision and...forgot that third "zerk" attribute but you know that they are.  Support players are going to stack healing, conditional damage, concentration, expertise, etc...  This will help the support players not only with supporting the whole group better...but staying alive because the healing will make up for the slow DOT attack style, especially on a deadly small fry map like Drizzlewood.

And what's up with all the Knock Downs in the game now?  Small fry enemies are like world Bosses now because you spend 90 percent of your time on the ground.  This is also making my action tray none responsive because the knock downs happen as you click on an action; really poor choice adding that in.  In fact, it's the only MMORPG where I've seen such a thing.

If World of Warcraft were to go totally free to play with just an in-game shop like GW2 and sell all expansions in one pack for a reasonable price, I would considered going back to it just because WOW was well polished.  Bad concepts for the game but it was well polished.  Looks like FF14 online is still King.  I'm a Final Fantasy Fan by the way...  Loved FF 7,  8,  9 and 10.

It always amazes me that people will take the time to write such long and rambling diatribes about things, yet cannot put 3-4 minutes to google a good solution to their problem like picking a highly mobile build, ideally with stealth or something. I mean they could have probably gotten the mount with that kind of effort, but hey, who am I to say how one should spend their time?

Yes, I think we should be able to rent mounts. But, yea....

One should read their own writing before submitting. Ask yourself "would I want to read it?" before unleashing it on humankind.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 1

the problem with rent-a-mount: get demounted, and then? need a portable rent-provider? xD

like u use your mount at any engage basically. the renting sounds fun and games in theory, i see not much out of it irl. in and around fights, i unmount probably 20 times on my own yet, be it to scout ahead, sniff somewhere, look over walls for inc etc.

like, u are basically not on the map as long as ur mounted. yet u can easily get dismounted, dazed and ganked. thing of seconds. people may forget about that part.

37 minutes ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

the problem with rent-a-mount: get demounted, and then? need a portable rent-provider? xD

like u use your mount at any engage basically. the renting sounds fun and games in theory, i see not much out of it irl. in and around fights, i unmount probably 20 times on my own yet, be it to scout ahead, sniff somewhere, look over walls for inc etc.

like, u are basically not on the map as long as ur mounted. yet u can easily get dismounted, dazed and ganked. thing of seconds. people may forget about that part.

I mean there could just be a buff on your character that allows all mount use. So you just pay to be able to use a mount whenever for 1 hr.

But said mount would have no abilities or anything extra you get from ability pts.

My solution has always been to make reward tracks go faster. This would help mtigate Gob/warclaw issues while benefiting everyone else.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Horace.3184 said:

tldr; look up Trailblazer gear.  

As for boons, if you instead go Celestial, you get everything and like 50% boon duration.

This is why the average player needs to consider stats before coming here and typing out novels...it is an RPG, stats do matter.  I get it's a casual RPG and we don't have Path of Exile like tree structures, but stats still do matter for a lot of encounters.  

• Thanks 1

What people are overlooking with the rental option: There is no good reason what so ever for mounts to be hidden behind an expac purchase to begin with. It is just greed cheapening your own product or negligence that ever drove such a decision. What is convenience (at best) or inconvenience in PvE is directly affecting competition in PvP.

Instead of renting the thing they could just make it a baseline purchase feature. I would have no more quarrel with core or HoT players having direct access to the mount than I would have with a renting system. Whatever irritation I may still have for getting cheated out of an expansion four years later is at the very least nothing I would take out on other players or use as a call to poison my own game mode further and make it worse than it could be.

Especially since we have MTX. People essentially "buying the mount" could have been buying mount skins instead. If metrics showed WvW players not buying PoF when they bought HoT, maybe that would say something about what was developed for them. The Warclaw was just allround terrible implementation when it came out, errecting a pay wall for no good reason. It's a typical example of what you see game reviewers and such talk about when they bring up games being sabotaged to attempt to sell. It isn't too surprising that it came out in a period of time when things like the first armory and such came out as well. Anet was really out on thin ice during that time, with metrics wizards akin to some tax-fraud shysters, causing long-term self-inflicted damage to product and brand that they still try to repair (new armory, et. al.).

F2P players is another topic. I don't think they should access WvW at all (especially not with features-for-competition locked out) because I do not see it adding any value that superceeds all the downsides (troll accounts, hacker accounts etc.). The whole F2P thing was always a shambles for WvW with all the other systems in place hampering the mode and sabotaging any real positives that could be garnered from the change (ie., F2P for potential players but full servers, etc.).

The turtles are looking like a much better implementation (funnily enough, what WvW players first spitballed when considering mount features for WvW). It would be quite ironic if they only came to PvE and even more ironic if the reason would be the developers turtling over the Warclaw.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501
I saw that I made the same or similar remarks 18 months ago at the top of this page. Anyway, at least this gives an updated context and more exposition.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

i guess will be a nice touch to make the wvw mount free no expancion need you just unlock by doing what it need and puff you have a mount it dont jump that high it dont run fast as the others it dont fly above water just a simple mount for new players run across the map doing what they need maybe even make more people pay for the dlc its really good the path of fire and the other one i love the history but the preople around should have something to start even now every rpg game have a mount for free even a simple horse the prince of the dlc is good they need that money for keep up but still i feel for new players who enter and see everyone running around with raptors and jackals and he dont even can keep up 

• Confused 1

I find gliders a bigger problem than mounts when trying to get somebody new into WvW and you need HoT for that. There is nothing they can do if you're gliding into dawn's from spawn.

Both are a huge problem when you are getting a friend or sibling to try the game but they can't keep up with the group and get ganked or they jump off a cliff not knowing they are the only one that can't glide. Never mind the fact they will struggle to get a spot in a proper party on core classes.

• Like 2