[Skyscale] Can't die on login by logging out while hovering.

@Menadena.7482 said:It is a long-time known bug and is not unique to mounts. If you get on the roof of a building and logout you will find yourself inside when you login.

That's different to this. This is literally about logging out of a mount then logging back in dismounted which isn't a bug since your character is reset to default parameters when logging back in (default being dismounted).

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:It is a long-time known bug and is not unique to mounts. If you get on the roof of a building and logout you will find yourself inside when you login.

That's different to this. This is literally about logging out of a mount then logging back in dismounted which isn't a bug since your character is reset to default parameters when logging back in (default being dismounted).

No. This is literally about logging out at a fatal altitude (hovering / gliding / etc) and not dying of falling when you log in because the game moves the character to ground level.

Variation: if, on the other hand, you are somewhere where there isn't any ground below you (example: in the centre of the Crown Pavilion when the event below isn't on, then you appear in mid-air and fall until you get displaced to the nearest WP.

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

That's different to this.It's not. Basically, the game doesn't remember your vertical coordinates (height), only your horizontal ones. Thus, on login, it places you in a spot according to those horizontal coordinates only. In case where there are several options at different height available, you may end up in a different spot than the one you logged out from. In no case you will end up in the air, though, unless there simply isn't any ground option available.

It has nothing to do with skyscale, or even mounts in general.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

That's different to this.It's not. Basically, the game doesn't remember your vertical coordinates (height), only your horizontal ones.

This isn't true, or at least it isn't true in all cases. Examples:

• If you log out down below the Minister's WP in DR, you aren't raised up to the WP on logout, nor in the opposite direction.
  • The game does remember which part of The Grove you are in.
  • I tried a different thing by hovering above the hole in the bottom of the Crown Pavilion (way above, so I could look down on the bird's head), and my character fell from there into the hole when I logged in.
  • You log in to the same depth in water that you were in before you logged out. (Does that make your character ... waterlogged? Sorry.)

The first two can be explained by what you said being true for the particular sub-map you're on, and it's possible I was high enough to be in the DR-upper map. However, the water thing shows that the game does, indeed, remember your height. It just has rules about how to process the height on log-in.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:In the interests of science, as it were.Your sacrifice non-sacrifice in the Service of Science is much appreciated.

Clarifying: it's one of those non-useful tidbits about the game's mechanics that I love to learn about (or discover). I appreciate the OP taking the time to verify their theory and posting about it.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Menadena.7482" said:It is a long-time known bug and is not unique to mounts. If you get on the roof of a building and logout you will find yourself inside when you login.

That's different to this.It's not. Basically, the game doesn't remember your vertical coordinates (height), only your horizontal ones.

This isn't true, or at least it isn't true in all cases. Examples:
  • If you log out down below the Minister's WP in DR, you aren't raised up to the WP on logout, nor in the opposite direction.
  • The game does remember which part of The Grove you are in.
  • I tried a different thing by hovering above the hole in the bottom of the Crown Pavilion (way above, so I could look down on the bird's head), and my character fell from there into the hole when I logged in.
  • You log in to the same depth in water that you were in before you logged out. (Does that make your character ... waterlogged? Sorry.)

The first two can be explained by what you said being true for the particular sub-map you're on, and it's possible I was high enough to be in the DR-upper map. However, the water thing shows that the game does, indeed, remember your height. It just has rules about how to process the height on log-in.

Even better. The image linked here: https://i.imgur.com/gk8nZX8.jpg was taken when my character was 5018 game units (something like 420 feet) above the Palace Waypoint in DR (in front of Logan's office). Note that I'm above the glass dome.(1) I logged out there. When I logged in again, I was standing on top of the dome, not on the ground under the waypoint, so the game remembered that I was way up high.

(1) How I got there is my little secret.

How do you know you’re actually flying/hovering? Maybe you’re just really tall with the bottom “footprint” portion invisible and no collision and the top visible portion is charmount. When you move you see what looks like a charmount flying/hovering but it’s actually an illusion and when you log back in you revert to char standing on your footprint.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:How do you know you’re actually flying/hovering? Maybe you’re just really tall with the bottom “footprint” portion invisible and no collision and the top visible portion is charmount. When you move you see what looks like a charmount flying/hovering but it’s actually an illusion and when you log back in you revert to char standing on your footprint.

It's not impossible that's how it works, sort of, provided you add also that because your apparent altitude is not affected by the lumpiness(1) of the ground below you, clearly your height (tallness) is. Of course, your theory doesn't explain how you can fly over the "hole" in the Crown Pavilion, and it's not a good explanation of how your flying mount / glider can fly over water but not run over it. The more cases you find like that of oddities that require special explanations, the more Occam's Razor suggest that we are, indeed, flying.

Absent an official explanation of the mechanics, it's all speculation, of course.

(1) Hills, large rocks, buildings, cliff edges, etc.