Anti loot box law

Hi everyone. First of all i'm not english speaker so I apologize if it's hard to read me.

So, I was wondering after reading the bill of Josh Hawley. If it happens how the gem store will be affected ?Considering Black Lion keys are already forbidden in Belgium due to a similar law. Will it be fordidden for every country or just USA ? Same for the mount license (400 gems). Cause actually I really love both and I'm a french player. I would be sad if i can't use it anymore because of a law that doesn't concern my country.

if it affects USA you can bet it will be banned everywhere... since the game is based in USA (even tho a Korean company owns it) i dont get it eitehr dont ask me. publisher = korean, develoeprs = usa. gemstore transaction = UK... am so confused.

As is, even if the bill passes, its goal is protecting children and ensuring games designed and marketed for children aren't predatory. In short, useless bill designed to make some random guy no one knew before look like they care, while accomplishing nothing. As usual, bunch of talk with no real action.

@"sorudo.9054" said:with things like this, they can just as much close all of lass vegas gambling halls since it's the same exact principle.but guess what, it's not gonna happen because they will have allot of ppl against them.

No it's not the same principle.. these are grown people that know why they are there and can gamble only if they're 21.

This is about children playing games rated everyone/teens and getting a taste of gambling, when tempted with cool "exclusive" stuff

Normally a parent will not allow their kid to buy these kinds of things, as oppose to.. Hey that's a cute skin the price doesn't look too bad, sure you can have it. They know what they're getting and not have to empty their wallet out.

But at last, I don't have any kids, but what do I know right? ahaha

@Gambino.2109 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:with things like this, they can just as much close all of lass vegas gambling halls since it's the same exact principle.but guess what, it's not gonna happen because they will have allot of ppl against them.

No it's not the same principle.. these are grown people that know why they are there and can gamble only if they're 21.

This is about children playing games rated everyone/teens and getting a taste of gambling, when tempted with cool "exclusive" stuff

Normally a parent will not allow their kid to buy these kinds of things, as oppose to.. Hey that's a cute skin the price doesn't look too bad, sure you can have it. They know what they're getting and not have to empty their wallet out.

But at last, I don't have any kids, but what do I know right? ahaha

when they get an amount of gems for 2 months and no more, it's a good way to teach them how to spend their gems.the principle is still the same, whether you're a grown man or a kid of 13, gambling is just as addictive, starting out young shows you how easily they're subjected to it so parents can take action early on.just because vegas limits ppl younger than 21 doesn't mean it's any better, better yet, it's allot worse where you will always lose. (at least in the BLC you are guaranteed to get something on it's value or better)

@Samnang.1879 said:if it affects USA you can bet it will be banned everywhere... since the game is based in USA (even tho a Korean company owns it) i dont get it eitehr dont ask me. publisher = korean, develoeprs = usa. gemstore transaction = UK... am so confused.

Gemstore transactions are not UK, they go to Ireland, as far as I know, and it's due to Ireland being a tax haven. Apple used to be there, too (maybe still is).

@Samnang.1879 said:if it affects USA you can bet it will be banned everywhere... since the game is based in USA (even tho a Korean company owns it) i dont get it eitehr dont ask me. publisher = korean, develoeprs = usa. gemstore transaction = UK... am so confused.

Where have you been Anet not only developed GW2 it also Publishes it too. Anet is a fully owned subsidiary of NC Soft. In the USA gem store transactions are handled by Digital River who also does transactions for the education department for lower priced software for collage students. Besides in the USA more studies would have to be done. Since the black lion chests also drop other things like the statuettes you have more options now. Also where will it stop will there be a guarantee on every drop to be exotic or ascended? Come on it a computer game and things are random and always should be.

This reminds me I need to e-mail everyone that is getting on board that they will have to change the legal definition of gambling as it's currently printed in the Federal Register...and that they should all fire their staffs for not pointing this out beforehand.

The bill targets pay to win boxes like star wars battlefront 2, where you can only get the best characters from loot boxes which you have to purchase with real money. We should be safe since nothing in the black lion chests give any combat advantage, and keys are a rare drop in random loot. Plus map completion.

@archmagus.7249 said:The bill targets pay to win boxes like star wars battlefront 2, where you can only get the best characters from loot boxes which you have to purchase with real money. We should be safe since nothing in the black lion chests give any combat advantage, and keys are a rare drop in random loot. Plus map completion.

Weren’t those characters already available without needing to purchase them but behind a grind though?

@"archmagus.7249" said:The bill targets pay to win boxes like star wars battlefront 2,It does more than that.

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/sites/default/files/2019-05/Loot-Box-Bill-FAQ.pdfLoot boxes are defined as microtransactions offering randomized or partially randomized rewards for purchase ... [and those in which] the purchase of one such loot box enables a subsequent purchase of a new loot box whose contents are unknown to the player prior to the first purchase. This category includes ...games featuring some form of player progression and covers any game that a reasonable user perceives as including a set of goals, rewards, progression through content (including narrative progression), or a scoring system. For such games, pay-to-win is defined as downloadable content that, from the perspective of an individual user, eases progression through such content, assists in accomplishing the game’s goals, or permits a user to continue to access game content rendered inaccessible after the expiration of a timer or number of gameplay attempts. Cosmetic downloadable content is excluded from the bill’s prohibitions. The bill does commission a study of microtransactions that includes a study of the potential of cosmetic downloadable content to induce compulsive purchasing behavior by children

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"archmagus.7249" said:The bill targets pay to win boxes like star wars battlefront 2,It does more than that.

Loot boxes are defined as microtransactions offering randomized or partially randomized rewards for purchase ... [and those in which] the purchase of one such loot box enables a subsequent purchase of a new loot box whose contents are unknown to the player prior to the first purchase. This category includes ...games featuring some form of player progression and covers any game that a
reasonable user
perceives as including a set of goals, rewards, progression through content (including narrative progression), or a scoring system. For such games, pay-to-win is defined as downloadable content that, from the perspective of an individual user, eases progression through such content, assists in accomplishing the game’s goals, or permits a user to continue to access game content rendered inaccessible after the expiration of a timer or number of gameplay attempts. Cosmetic downloadable content is excluded from the bill’s prohibitions. The bill does commission a study of microtransactions that includes a study of the potential of cosmetic downloadable content to induce compulsive purchasing behavior by children

Interesting.

Expansions are downloadable content and mounts, gliding, and elite specs ease progression through content.

If there's a regulation in USA that goes against anet's practices, they will just find another legal way to get you to give them your money while giving you practically nothing in return. They manage to sell you virtual chairs for nearly 10$, they will find a way.

How is pay-to-win defined?The bill covers two types of pay-to-win microtransactions in overlapping categories of games.

PROGRESSION-BASED GAMESThis category includes both single-player games and multiplayer games featuring some form of player progression and covers any game that a reasonable user perceives as including a set of goals, rewards, progression through content (including narrative progression), or a scoring system. For such games, pay-to-win is defined as downloadable content that, from the perspective of an individual user, eases progression through such content, assists in accomplishing the game’s goals, or permits a user to continue to access game content rendered inaccessible after the expiration of a timer or number of gameplay attempts.

I have to wonder if home instance nodes, unlimited gathering tools, and other such utility items will be included in this umbrella since it can be argued that they ease progression through certain in game goals (crafting legendaries/collection completion/crafting in general)