Seeing my fellow guildies achievements

As in the title, I'd love to see what major achievements players in my guild are getting/doing. I'm obviously not suggesting every achievement should pop up in the guild chat but I like seeing a fellow guildie reach level 80, obtain a new mount/title, complete a raid wing etc.

I think it would be simple to implement and you can toggle it off if it was something that would bother you.

For me personally, it would make me aware of how active people in my guild are and a nice way to share your achievements.

@Valgar.9576 said:As in the title, I'd love to see what major achievements players in my guild are getting/doing. I'm obviously not suggesting every achievement should pop up in the guild chat but I like seeing a fellow guildie reach level 80, obtain a new mount/title, complete a raid wing etc.

I think it would be simple to implement and you can toggle it off if it was something that would bother you.

For me personally, it would make me aware of how active people in my guild are and a nice way to share your achievements.

Arent you called Big brother?

I don't know. This system was in (cough cough) WoW when I played it and it was great. Like I said, we don't need to broadcast everything. I find people to be generally passive in guild chat in most MMO's I've played and it just seems like a system that encourages communication.

In my first guild in this game, I was tasked by our leader to track the guilds development, which resulted in running statistics. Back in those days I had to make screenshots of the guild roster and type in the values into an excel sheet. We tracked: max. level, classes, crafting professions, achievement points, country, age, gender and commander tag (y/n). I had to make quarterly reports and annual reports about the development of the guild. Even had a ranking system for activity, measuring the AP increase over a certain time-period and comparing it with the rest of the guild. Calculated an average AP increase and categorized the members into more and less productive sub-groups. The top-group was mentioned in a published top 5 or top 3 list. The bottom group was subject to discussion in the management-meeting when the topic came to inactivity and kicks.

Although I never harmed any person, I still feel bad for that "research." Reducing players, my fellow guildmembers, to numbers was probably the worst experience I ever had in an MMORPG. That is also a very big reason why I disapprove ArcDPS so much, I have been at the bottom of the pit already. It is not very fun down there.

If you need data like this for your guild, to help people, work on your communication level. Tracking data from other players is not required for anything. It does not even improve things, only makes it easier to categorize people and manifest stereotypes and prejudices.

The most funny part is, everyone only wants to use the data to do good. The jerks are always the others. The most common argument I get when I discuss about the meter: The jerks are always there, with or without it. That is true, but giving them more and more tools only increases the problem.

There is a perfect way to learn what another player is doing or planing to do: talking. Whisper him or approach him in your guild-chat.

I would rather like to have a proper communicator-app in the game, that allows me to whisper with several people at once, without messing up my chat-windows.

I wouldn't mind if the game showed your guild when you'd completed an achievement. I used to like it in GW1 when it was broadcast across the map and people would congratulate each other.

But in my guilds people are already pretty keen to share when they've done something they're happy about, whether that's an achievement or getting to level 80 or finally getting their perfect combination of skins and dyes right, and I think in some ways it's nicer when they tell you instead of getting an automated message because then you know it's special to them. I probably wouldn't bother to say anything if a 'Guildie has completed Longbow master" notification came up because I tend to think of the weapon master ones as something that just happens sooner or later. But if they tell us about it then I know that it's meaningful to them and worth commenting on.

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:In my first guild in this game, I was tasked by our leader to track the guilds development, which resulted in running statistics. Back in those days I had to make screenshots of the guild roster and type in the values into an excel sheet. We tracked: max. level, classes, crafting professions, achievement points, country, age, gender and commander tag (y/n). I had to make quarterly reports and annual reports about the development of the guild. Even had a ranking system for activity, measuring the AP increase over a certain time-period and comparing it with the rest of the guild. Calculated an average AP increase and categorized the members into more and less productive sub-groups. The top-group was mentioned in a published top 5 or top 3 list. The bottom group was subject to discussion in the management-meeting when the topic came to inactivity and kicks.

Although I never harmed any person, I still feel bad for that "research." Reducing players, my fellow guildmembers, to numbers was probably the worst experience I ever had in an MMORPG. That is also a very big reason why I disapprove ArcDPS so much, I have been at the bottom of the pit already. It is not very fun down there.

If you need data like this for your guild, to help people, work on your communication level. Tracking data from other players is not required for anything. It does not even improve things, only makes it easier to categorize people and manifest stereotypes and prejudices.

The most funny part is, everyone only wants to use the data to do good. The jerks are always the others. The most common argument I get when I discuss about the meter: The jerks are always there, with or without it. That is true, but giving them more and more tools only increases the problem.

There is a perfect way to learn what another player is doing or planing to do: talking. Whisper him or approach him in your guild-chat.

I would rather like to have a proper communicator-app in the game, that allows me to whisper with several people at once, without messing up my chat-windows.

That sounds a lot like the type of statistics we collect on our volunteers at work. Having talked to people who felt similarly to you about it I'd say there's two important things which can make all the difference here: firstly do they know you're collecting this data, and secondly what do you do with the information? The volunteers know because they give us the data, and if we notice a possible problem - like someone coming in less and less frequently - we'll talk to them to find out if it's just other stuff taking priority or if there's a problem we can help with, but we'd never tell them they have to do more because they're volunteers and that's up to them.

I can see it being the same in a guild. If an officer whispered me to say they noticed I was levelling up slower than everyone else and asked if I needed any help I'd be happy they took the time to notice. Whereas if they told me I had to hurry up and keep on their schedule to be allowed in the guild I'd probably save them the trouble by leaving immediately.

@"Valgar.9576" said:I don't know. This system was in (cough cough) WoW when I played it and it was great. Like I said, we don't need to broadcast everything. I find people to be generally passive in guild chat in most MMO's I've played and it just seems like a system that encourages communication.

The system you propose doesn't encourage, it enforces. Much more in the spirit of this game, if I may speak for everyone, would be to build up a community of likeminded people, i.e. a guild, where this happens normally and naturally. I was in guilds that had this sort of communication, but nowadays all ppl get for posting an achievement they did is a snarky comment in the lines of "good for you" or "don't you have a life" so ppl stopped broadcasting what they were doing.

I feel like OP has grossly underestimated how private a lot of mmo players are :p

Also, when I feel like I've done something that is worth sharing, I do so. And when my sharing doesn't garner sufficient enthusiasm, I share it again in another channel :p

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Valgar.9576 said:For me personally, it would make me aware of how active people in my guild are and a nice way to share your achievements.

Doesn't seeing your friends' AP suffice to indicate their activity in the game?

Well sometimes they might complete a specific achievement that I haven't really heard of or seen. Total AP doesn't tell what achievements they actually got.> @"Cronospere.8143" said:

Cronospere reached lvl 2Cronospere reached lvl 3Crono.......Cronospere reached lvl 66Cronospere reached lvl 67....

Guildie: "Crono what are you doing?"

Me: Leveling my character with tomes!

To be honest i like the idea but only for a select achievements.

Yeah, i definitely don't want every achievement popping up otherwise my chat would look like spam. > @daydreamer.3092 said:

in contrast i would like it to join guilds with characters only (like classic WoW), so in case i dont want to be spied on i can just switch characters. atm i avoid guilds because many force you to join / talk to them all the time

I actually forgot you could do that in WoW. I wonder how many people would actually want this?

@Valgar.9576 said:Well sometimes they might complete a specific achievement that I haven't really heard of or seen. Total AP doesn't tell what achievements they actually got.

Got ya. Well, some might feel like Big Brother was watching them, though. So not sure about how well perceived this would be, unless ANet added an option for people to hide theirs if desired.