The only reason poeple complain about soulbeast is because it has a chance to dismount them

Anput.4620

@DeathPanel.8362 said:

@Doug.4930 said:I'm pretty sure no reasonable person look at soul beasts being able to perform 17k auto attacks when combined with sic em and attack of opportunity and thinks its balanced. I mean seriously. I made some posts about this a while ago and it sounded like the player base was 50/50 about this. But this thread has restored my hope in these forums a little bit. So SoulBeast + Sic em, is broken, with only a small minority (who probably run it) of people trying to delude the rest of us.

Also might add, that it would be a dream come true if mounts were only useful for out of combat movement. Have mounts have a 2k health pool, with a single dodge when traited. This way people would actually have to fight in WvW again, and not use mounts as a shield, but as transportation.

The majority of players are not complaining about this build because we love being invincible on mounts. We're complaining because its broken.

It is so broken yet a holosmith will trash an SB every time? Arc divider, anyone? It really isn't broken when compared to the other roaming builds.

There's never a limit on 1 broken build at a time. Just because holo smith needs serious nerfing too doesn't excuse soulbeast.

Balance is relative. No one build dominates and every class has a meta build for WvW in someplace of WvW.

But when a small number of builds immensely dominate a certain field to the point that if you don't run it you hamstring yourself, then I think its time for some balance adjustment. Soul beast fits this criteria at the moment. Its able to apply way way way too much damage over 1500 range in a very short amount of time, with an insane amount of survivability and kiting potential. No build should have insane 1 shot potential and yet be so hard to put down IF you manage to hail mary survive its burst somehow.

I could make a list of builds that excel far far above others in different areas and need nerfing, but I don't want to distract from the class at hand.

Single target, and only with skills activated and assuming there's no evade, block, reflect, bubble on target. You're also going to be full glass without the same mitigation abilities other classes have. They fill the role of long range single target sniper. Nerf that and there will be no reason to be rangers in wvw.

And they do that job far far too well. We're not talking about nerfing them into the ground. But 40k damage? On a single target in 2 seconds? Nope that should not be a thing, and I think given the replies on threads like this and others, most people would agree with me.Also, the soul beast dual axe hybrid roamer would like a word with you. Rangers have more than just a pew pew you're dead build.

@Doug.4930 said:I'm pretty sure no reasonable person look at soul beasts being able to perform 17k auto attacks when combined with sic em and attack of opportunity and thinks its balanced. I mean seriously. I made some posts about this a while ago and it sounded like the player base was 50/50 about this. But this thread has restored my hope in these forums a little bit. So SoulBeast + Sic em, is broken, with only a small minority (who probably run it) of people trying to delude the rest of us.

Also might add, that it would be a dream come true if mounts were only useful for out of combat movement. Have mounts have a 2k health pool, with a single dodge when traited. This way people would actually have to fight in WvW again, and not use mounts as a shield, but as transportation.

The majority of players are not complaining about this build because we love being invincible on mounts. We're complaining because its broken.

It is so broken yet a holosmith will trash an SB every time? Arc divider, anyone? It really isn't broken when compared to the other roaming builds.

There's never a limit on 1 broken build at a time. Just because holo smith needs serious nerfing too doesn't excuse soulbeast.

Balance is relative. No one build dominates and every class has a meta build for WvW in someplace of WvW.

But when a small number of builds immensely dominate a certain field to the point that if you don't run it you hamstring yourself, then I think its time for some balance adjustment. Soul beast fits this criteria at the moment. Its able to apply way way way too much damage over 1500 range in a very short amount of time, with an insane amount of survivability and kiting potential. No build should have insane 1 shot potential and yet be so hard to put down IF you manage to hail mary survive its burst somehow.

I could make a list of builds that excel far far above others in different areas and need nerfing, but I don't want to distract from the class at hand.

SB doesn't overperform when compared to Holo, Rev, Mesmer or Berserker, so no. It even gets trashed by many of these like mesmer and Holo.

Balance is relative and pretty fair right now, only necro doesn't have a build that is good for roaming, and heck, rangers don't even have a zerg build and no one is complaining about zerg balance!

We'll have to agree to disagree. I could find common ground with you on SB vs holo. But in my opinion SB greatly outperforms Revs, mesmers and berserkers. A well played soulbeast really shouldn't lose those matchups. Further more Its more than just 1v1 balance. A Soul beast being able to sit in a tower and deal 40k worth of damage in 2 seconds or less at 1,500 range is extremely unbalanced in my view.

Idk maybe im just cynical, but balance seems to have died long ago when HOT released. These days the vast majority of players are running builds that they've pasted directly from meta battle. I feel like Soulbeasts and Holosmiths take up more than half of the roamers (groups of 3 or less, even 3 is starting to become a squad raid rather than roaming imo.) on a map at any given time. If you're not running a holo or SB then you need to work so much harder to perform what those builds can do with much less effort.

You’re leaving out a lot of info in your assessment. The burst damage you’re talking about is only assuming target is full glass and the ranger is full glass+utilities used+25 stacks of might given by supporting teammates and only if the guy doesn’t evade/block/invul/reflect. You’re talking about 1 in 100 encounters. It’s exaggerated. If that aspect gets nerfed without any other aspect getting massive buffs no one will play ranger in wvw.

Agree with you. Maybe I suck but in normal circumstances, the Soulbeast deals abysmal damage at best. Never seen a SB being able to perform 40K type dps. It's also funny that the SB damage according to forum posts continually creeps up.

I guess one way to look at it is... how many Soubeast commanders do we see? I mean if they can deal 40K dps, they obviously are the secret to battles. Why don't we see Soulbeast commanders along with Soulbeast comprised squads? Surely if they deal 40K dps like the person mentioned, no minstrel firebrand could stand a chance... but wait...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rapid fire is annoying at best, sure a full volley will kill a player, and especially if you get +1 by a pewpew ranger from 1800 range, but so will most other burst specs unless you play something with either mass evasion or passive/active defenses = anything meta rly.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

Single target, and only with skills activated and assuming there's no evade, block, reflect, bubble on target. You're also going to be full glass without the same mitigation abilities other classes have. They fill the role of long range single target sniper. Nerf that and there will be no reason to be rangers in wvw.

And they do that job far far too well. We're not talking about nerfing them into the ground. But 40k damage? On a single target in 2 seconds? Nope that should not be a thing, and I think given the replies on threads like this and others, most people would agree with me.Also, the soul beast dual axe hybrid roamer would like a word with you. Rangers have more than just a pew pew you're dead build.

SB doesn't overperform when compared to Holo, Rev, Mesmer or Berserker, so no. It even gets trashed by many of these like mesmer and Holo.

Balance is relative and pretty fair right now, only necro doesn't have a build that is good for roaming, and heck, rangers don't even have a zerg build and no one is complaining about zerg balance!

We'll have to agree to disagree. I could find common ground with you on SB vs holo. But in my opinion SB greatly outperforms Revs, mesmers and berserkers. A well played soulbeast really shouldn't lose those matchups. Further more Its more than just 1v1 balance. A Soul beast being able to sit in a tower and deal 40k worth of damage in 2 seconds or less at 1,500 range is extremely unbalanced in my view.

Idk maybe im just cynical, but balance seems to have died long ago when HOT released. These days the vast majority of players are running builds that they've pasted directly from meta battle. I feel like Soulbeasts and Holosmiths take up more than half of the roamers (groups of 3 or less, even 3 is starting to become a squad raid rather than roaming imo.) on a map at any given time. If you're not running a holo or SB then you need to work so much harder to perform what those builds can do with much less effort.

You’re leaving out a lot of info in your assessment. The burst damage you’re talking about is only assuming target is full glass and the ranger is full glass+utilities used+25 stacks of might given by supporting teammates and only if the guy doesn’t evade/block/invul/reflect. You’re talking about 1 in 100 encounters. It’s exaggerated. If that aspect gets nerfed without any other aspect getting massive buffs no one will play ranger in wvw.

Agree with you. Maybe I suck but in normal circumstances, the Soulbeast deals abysmal damage at best. Never seen a SB being able to perform 40K type dps. It's also funny that the SB damage according to forum posts continually creeps up.

I guess one way to look at it is... how many Soubeast commanders do we see? I mean if they can deal 40K dps, they obviously are the secret to battles. Why don't we see Soulbeast commanders along with Soulbeast comprised squads? Surely if they deal 40K dps like the person mentioned, no minstrel firebrand could stand a chance... but wait...

Yea its almost like different aspects of the game require different builds, and just because a build is broken in some aspects and needs balancing doesn't mean the entire profession needs nerfing. But we're going in circles here, many people have made the arguments I've made, seems you're doubting the 40k claim? How about I link a video that's been doing the rounds.

Now if you tell me that build is balanced after watching this, then Ill leave you with the first reply of this thread that I think is the only thing worth saying:

@noot.8641 said:Seems to me that you don’t want your broken build to get nerfed.

@Doug.4930 said:

Yea its almost like different aspects of the game require different builds, and just because a build is broken in some aspects and needs balancing doesn't mean the entire profession needs nerfing. But we're going in circles here, many people have made the arguments I've made, seems you're doubting the 40k claim? How about I link a video that's been doing the rounds.

Now if you tell me that build is balanced after watching this, then Ill leave you with the first reply of this thread that I think is the only thing worth saying:

@noot.8641 said:Seems to me that you don’t want your broken build to get nerfed.

All of these could obviously be dodged. Clearly a scam.

Just LoS every single attack and you'll be fine.

@steki.1478 said:

Don't you have 2 passive invulns, 3 evades, 3 active invulns and a block to counter all of these? L2p and stop complaining, rev and holo are more OP.

@steki.1478 said:

Don't you have 2 passive invulns, 3 evades, 3 active invulns and a block to counter all of these? L2p and stop complaining, rev and holo are more OP.

Quoting yourself eh

@Doug.4930 said:

So what happens if you dodge the winters bite, how does the build perform in general combat after that? I think we should heavilly dumb down necro, guardian and engie first as they are 100x more played and abused than ranger, makes more sense rite?

@Anput.4620 said:

So what happens if you dodge the winters bite, how does the build perform in general combat after that? I think we should heavilly dumb down necro, guardian and engie first as they are 100x more played and abused than ranger, makes more sense rite?

Its clear that by that comment you only watched the first 15 seconds? Maybe watch the whole thing before commenting next time.And no, soul beast is by far the most common class i run into outside zerging. Also where did you get dumbing down from? People just want the damage soul beasts can put out to be toned down, how would that dumb the class down? If anything it would force players to play more intelligently as they can no longer rely on a crutch that allows a single skill to down opponents instantly.

@Doug.4930 said:

@"noot.8641" said:Seems to me that you don’t want your broken build to get nerfed.

Its clear that by that comment you only watched the first 15 seconds? Maybe watch the whole thing before commenting next time.And no, soul beast is by far the most common class i run into outside zerging. Also where did you get dumbing down from? People just want the damage soul beasts can put out to be toned down, how would that dumb the class down? If anything it would force players to play more intelligently as they can no longer rely on a crutch that allows a single skill to down opponents instantly.Its funny, because its the mirage situation all over again. According to so, so many people there was a mirage hidden behind every tree, every rock or just permastealthing in plain sight. Walk out a keep and
boom
30 stacks of confusion and torment because a mirage was
always
waiting for you.

I'm not really seeing that many soulbeasts. I meet more dragonhunters than soulbeasts. And the dhs are generally more dangerous. The most common encounter is probably spellbreaker - pretty much same thing as it was during the above mentioned mirage era. Holos are a big chunk as well. And of course who could forget the scourge, definetly up there as a common encounter. The allmighty immortal scrapper? Well playing as a condi scrapper, I only see them as a threat like... once a week. Maybe two. 98% of them run meta healer. Sure they can cleanse. Cant roam though.

When I do meet a soulbeast, exceedingly few of them is the typical one-shot glass cannon even close to the "skill" shown in videos. In fact in the last month, I can only remember one in all the roaming and smallscaling. He downed me once because I was careless (hunting another target). After I was ressed we just piled on top of him. Next encounter I saw the buffing up with boons (25 might being the obvious tell) so simply pressured him first and piled on him when we could. And every encounter following. He always died. Because its a kitten spec outmanned against people that can dodge. The rest of the soulbeasts are merely "there" and offer no real advantage over any particular class. In fact the more kitten soulbeasts the better. Its like "oh no is that two holos approaching, not going to stand a chance against those 2km radius AoE stuns!" then "phew its just two glassy soulbeasts, right, stealth and burst one of them then bulwark/stabstomp while the other does nothing usefull."

@Doug.4930 said:

Its clear that by that comment you only watched the first 15 seconds? Maybe watch the whole thing before commenting next time.And no, soul beast is by far the most common class i run into outside zerging. Also where did you get dumbing down from? People just want the damage soul beasts can put out to be toned down, how would that dumb the class down? If anything it would force players to play more intelligently as they can no longer rely on a crutch that allows a single skill to down opponents instantly.

You see them more because they can dismount poeple, look at the dueling area, more variety there because no mounts.

Just putting it out there, a single soulbeast is almost never going to pluck a player out of a group of players running a wvw comp. Even if their unblockable is up (which is hardly always the case) to negate the pretty much permanent AoE reflection a wvw comp generally has going, the odds of their being able to drop someone with protection among other boons surrounded by scrappers, firebrands and scourges is negligible. (Catching someone off tag is of course a different story.)

Also, with rare exception, longbow rangers are only going to drop mounted players if those players have already wasted their dodges before noticing the ranger. Its probably the best class to do the job, but the expectation is still low.

~ Kovu

I love when people use that video as evidence that soulbeast is some godmode class that one shots everyone and never dies.

@Doug.4930 said:

Its clear you haven't played ranger or spend little time on it. That build is good for nothing but taking out the afk and those not paying attention/bad at the pvp aspect of the game. He blows his heal and at least two utilities to down someone. He has no stun break or stab and no unblock-able damage. With the magic of editing it makes this trash meme build look amazing but at 2:54 you see him nuke the mes that's off in lala land not paying attention then cuts the video when the base warrior puts up its shield and goes for him. 99% positive he got his backside handed to him by that guy. One dodge or block then a followup burst with some cc and this ranger setup is a sitting bag. There's much more effecting roaming builds that are 10x as annoying to deal with as this smc wall hugger special.
Warrior must be the real god since it killed it. nerf thief and ele. /s

@Lightning Xv.8705 said:I love when people use that video as evidence that soulbeast is some godmode class that one shots everyone and never dies.

Its clear you haven't played ranger or spend little time on it. That build is good for nothing but taking out the afk and those not paying attention/bad at the pvp aspect of the game. He blows his heal and at least two utilities to down someone. He has no stun break or stab and no unblock-able damage. With the magic of editing it makes this trash meme build look amazing but at 2:54 you see him nuke the mes that's off in lala land not paying attention then cuts the video when the base warrior puts up its shield and goes for him. 99% positive he got his backside handed to him by that guy. One dodge or block then a followup burst with some cc and this ranger setup is a sitting bag. There's much more effecting roaming builds that are 10x as annoying to deal with as this smc wall hugger special.

Warrior must be the real god since it killed it. nerf thief and ele. /s

Welcome to the forums where highly edited joke videos are used as actual evidence. I even saw that video and a similiar one from unranked, posted in the PvP forums for an argument. Yeah good luck running that in high rated games.

@Anput.4620 said:So what happens if you dodge the winters bite, how does the build perform in general combat after that? I think we should heavilly dumb down necro, guardian and engie first as they are 100x more played and abused than ranger, makes more sense rite?

You can one tap people with other skills (including racial ones), which is even presented on the video. Considering that soulbeast boosts make your skills hit for at least twice than you'd usually do, there's at least 2 skills on each (power) weapon set that can do incredibly high damage during that period.

What would you do on other classes if they miss their combo? Wait for (at least) 15 seconds and try again. On soulbeast you have at least 2 comeback chances or you can just disengage with gs+owl leaps. Besides, half of the classes dont even have stealth and you're asking what happens if you dodge a 1-shot from stealth.. What happens when you dont have dodges and you face a fully buffed slb? You're dead. At least some classes' bursts can be facetanked, reflected, blocked. We can discuss forever how many classes have high bursts, but this thread isnt about them. If you want to talk about rifle zerkers, gs chronos etc, make a thread about them.

Again, the point is not in avoiding the burst, the point is doing it effortlessly, doing incredible damage with it (no matter how much you dodge, high damage is high damage), having multiple high damage skills (or autos, depending on weapons) and still having tools to escape (which have quite low cooldown). Bonus points for using stealth or 1800 range to do all that.

@steki.1478 said:

@Anput.4620 said:So what happens if you dodge the winters bite, how does the build perform in general combat after that? I think we should heavilly dumb down necro, guardian and engie first as they are 100x more played and abused than ranger, makes more sense rite?

You can one tap people with other skills (including racial ones), which is even presented on the video. Considering that soulbeast boosts make your skills hit for at least twice than you'd usually do, there's at least 2 skills on each (power) weapon set that can do incredibly high damage during that period.

What would you do on other classes if they miss their combo? Wait for (at least) 15 seconds and try again. On soulbeast you have at least 2 comeback chances or you can just disengage with gs+owl leaps. Besides, half of the classes dont even have stealth and you're asking what happens if you dodge a 1-shot from stealth.. What happens when you dont have dodges and you face a fully buffed slb? You're dead. At least some classes' bursts can be facetanked, reflected, blocked. We can discuss forever how many classes have high bursts, but this thread isnt about them. If you want to talk about rifle zerkers, gs chronos etc, make a thread about them.

Again, the point is not in avoiding the burst, the point is doing it effortlessly, doing incredible damage with it (no matter how much you dodge, high damage is high damage), having multiple high damage skills (or autos, depending on weapons) and still having tools to escape (which have quite low cooldown). Bonus points for using stealth or 1800 range to do all that.

I hate when poeple say you can disengage with leaps when other poeple will just gun you down while you wait 10s for beastmode CD to come off to meld with owl. These builds are trash, whenever the burst fails to someone that knows how to dodge i get my ass handed to me, meanwhile when i play the normal balanced build that uses durability runes and marauder gear with wilderness survival i have followups, auto attacks hit 5k with sicc em and everything else, not 10, these meme builds are as bad as the poeple dying to them.

@Anput.4620 said:

I hate when poeple say you can disengage with leaps when other poeple will just gun you down while you wait 10s for beastmode CD to come off to meld with owl. These builds are trash, whenever the burst fails to someone that knows how to dodge i get my kitten handed to me, meanwhile when i play the normal balanced build that uses durability runes and marauder gear with wilderness survival i have followups, auto attacks hit 5k with sicc em and everything else, not 10, these meme builds are as bad as the poeple dying to them.

Umm with zerk-maurader stats,scholar runes,sic em,owp and dps boosting traits u can easily proc UU with merge on owl and do enough dps to down most classes or close to in one rapid fire succession and if get pressured swoop,gs leap away with swiftness from ur other owl skill all with a extra heal. I do it all the time,its a great disengage. If u camp smokescale for that bit of extra dps u dont even need that's on u. But dont say u have to wait out ur 10 sec beast mode CD to disengage cuz u definitely do not.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I hate when poeple say you can disengage with leaps when other poeple will just gun you down while you wait 10s for beastmode CD to come off to meld with owl. These builds are trash, whenever the burst fails to someone that knows how to dodge i get my kitten handed to me, meanwhile when i play the normal balanced build that uses durability runes and marauder gear with wilderness survival i have followups, auto attacks hit 5k with sicc em and everything else, not 10, these meme builds are as bad as the poeple dying to them.

Umm with zerk-maurader stats,scholar runes,sic em,owp and dps boosting traits u can easily proc UU with merge on owl and do enough dps to down most classes or close to in one rapid fire succession and if get pressured swoop,gs leap away with swiftness from ur other owl skill all with a extra heal. I do it all the time,its a great disengage. If u camp smokescale for that bit of extra dps u dont even need that's on u. But dont say u have to wait out ur 10 sec beast mode CD to disengage cuz u definitely do not.

Except the standard build uses smokescale and rampage as elite skill because these full zerk scholar cheese builds are bad in actual duels and only good to stomp random bads.

@Anput.4620 said:

Except the standard build uses smokescale and rampage as elite skill because these full zerk scholar cheese builds are bad in actual duels and only good to stomp random bads.

Umm than dont? Use smokey and hooter, ya still one burst noobs down and have mobility and a heal.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Umm than dont? Use smokey and hooter, ya still one burst noobs down and have mobility and a heal.

Yeah exactly, it kills bad players easilly, vs decent ones it is the same as any other roaming build, arguebly weaker than some like holo.

@Anput.4620 said:

Yeah exactly, it kills bad players easilly, vs decent ones it is the same as any other roaming build, arguebly weaker than some like holo.

Having a burst high enough to kill bad players from 100-0 in one skill makes it less broken if it's more apt to be successful against the bad players? The 100-0 still exist either way and shouldn't especially with such ease of execution and being done from such a safe range on top is silliness.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Having a burst high enough to kill bad players from 100-0 in one skill makes it less broken if it's more apt to be successful against the bad players? The 100-0 still exist either way and shouldn't especially with such ease of execution and being done from such a safe range on top is silliness.

If you.facetank a whole rotation you absolutely should die for it.

@LetoII.3782 said:

Yeah sic em burst sure is quite the rotation lmao. That's like saying a skill that's dodgeable but is a one shot everytime is fine because if u didn't dodge it u deserved it. The point is the potential to do what sic em does and how it does it shouldn't exist in a pvp mode of any kind.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Yes, you don't balance around bad players, otherwise almosmt everything unconventional needs to be nerfed into the ground(long ranges, stealth, mesmer clones etc etc.)

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Yeah sic em burst sure is quite the rotation lmao. That's like saying a skill that's dodgeable but is a one shot everytime is fine because if u didn't dodge it u deserved it. The point is the potential to do what sic em does and how it does it shouldn't exist in a pvp mode of any kind.

It uses your elite, your class mechanic and a utility. And, it doesn't happen instantly. Between prebuffing and channeling is a good 4 seconds for the target to do... Well... Anything but stand thereIf a warrior popped that much on your face and you ate it, you'd be dead 3x over