Deadeye... what were they thinking?!

Silverstone.4539

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So since starting this topic I have been pretty much playing deadeye to try and make it work. In the right situation it can be very effective. But it's almost like the stars and planets need to align for it to work.

Some of my bug bears.

• Taking the knee means the chanced of the shot getting obstructed goes up 100%. if your target runs over the smallest hill, good luck hitting them. - Instead of taking the knee, you would be much better off pulling out a highchair to stand on.
  • Pets, birds, animals, other players, the number of times things get in the way of my shots is crazy.
  • Shots seem too slow. Evading is too easy. I even had someone "evade" "and "block" my deadeye's mark. how is the even possible? that's like saying " sorry, say that again, I dodged the sound that came out of your mouth."

Other than that it is starting to get pretty fun.

@Cerby.1069 said:So as long as the deadeye has to invest enough to get the numbers, it will be left along cause its okay. warrior rifle damage values literally cannot be nerfed anymore than they are to date, or the rifle itself comes into question as an actual weapon. We cant have certain weapons performing THAT badly in general use situations.

Have you played deadeye?

You don't invest much (though a lot to me is 3 dedicated trait lines and 2+ utilites) to reach the damage that say the ranger has to, to be able to get 5k AA's ( and that number depending on the target should be over 12k)

Secondly please don't put words in my mouth, because if I recall I did say " NO ONE LIKES BEING ONE SHOT FROM RANGE".

Thirdly,I currently roam on a deadeye, why roam on mes when you can delete people with half the effort?All it takes is patience, and positioningI would recommend you try the class first

And also, you failed to present a screenshot of you getting close to the deadeye damage, and until you do or can, I honestly don't believe you as a warrior get close to the damage a deadeye can.

@Turk.5460 said:I highly doubt you are roaming on a deadeye. Otherwise you'd know how much effort it takes to set up a high-damage shot. It isn't quite as braindead as a blink-mirrored blade-shatter combo.

If you are on FA me and some guildies are actually roaming around now, you are free to join us.And I am well aware of how much effort it takes, as I am doing it right now, and it honestly is not that difficult, unless you are singled out on engage by another thief, then it gets a lot more luck based...I think I said something similair in this thread about that situation.

Anyway, offer stands come join us.

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Rangerdeity.5847 said:

@Rangerdeity.5847 said:

@Rangerdeity.5847 said:Deadeye works better in zergs your the ultimate down finisher and the ultimate deletion of problem enemies. not everything thiefs do need to be focused on roaming.

Except that LB Ranger does that better and is considered useless.

LB ranger is a joke in zergs.

Thank you for echoing.

meanwhile deadeyes are a terrifying monster in zergs. thus your comment is just assinine at best.

And yet whatever they can do, LB Ranger can do better.

Stealth for 20 seconds?

1 shot people from 100 - 0?

Teleport? Running? Steal Items?

May wanna specify a bit more on your statement ;)

I played all Saturday night on my thief (as deadeye) and it is one of the classes that I am just not very good at. There was almost 0 effort to get 12k-15k hits.Example from Saturday:T2 QL, opposing force is larger (their 30 to our 20ish). I'm on the north end of the wall when it goes down, so there is no way for players to melee me (the aoe'rs are too busy trying to push our zerg and farm the hole/door and kill lord). I literally sat on the wall edge, and 1 shot downed people for a good minute. I marked anyone in range, kept that mark and used the bonus damage on any player that got close (without switching my mark). Mark player A (goes just out of range, still gaining malice). 1 shot down player B (14k). 1 shot down player C (12k). Within 3 secs of each other. Mark new player D. See scourge (no mark change). 1 shot down player E (15k -1k barrier 14k sourge). Burn him 'cause scourge. Mark new target and actually attack marked target. First DJ 11k, second 12k (3k auto) on the spellbreaker. Finish him.

Got feared a few times, but in the fray no one could really spend any time on me. If they took an attack at me on the wall, I just insta-downed them and let our zerg kill them. People act like this is hard to do, it isn't.

@Solori.6025 said:

@Turk.5460 said:I highly doubt you are roaming on a deadeye. Otherwise you'd know how much effort it takes to set up a high-damage shot. It isn't quite as braindead as a blink-mirrored blade-shatter combo.

If you are on FA me and some guildies are actually roaming around now, you are free to join us.And I am well aware of how much effort it takes, as I am doing it right now, and it honestly is not that difficult, unless you are singled out on engage by another thief, then it gets a lot more luck based...I think I said something similair in this thread about that situation.

Anyway, offer stands come join us.

I only browse the forums at work, but sure, I can join you later - you will see Jekkies in one of the borderlands most evenings. Keep in mind patience and positioning is more effort than a lot of other professions bursts. Considering DJ takes time to ramp up, you are expending much more effort to remain alive, reposition and/or stay stealthed to achieve that than:-Power GS mes burst-LB Ranger burst-Any form of TB/Dire necro-Power DHEtc.

@Ubi.4136 said:I played all Saturday night on my thief (as deadeye) and it is one of the classes that I am just not very good at. There was almost 0 effort to get 12k-15k hits.Example from Saturday:T2 QL, opposing force is larger (their 30 to our 20ish). I'm on the north end of the wall when it goes down, so there is no way for players to melee me (the aoe'rs are too busy trying to push our zerg and farm the hole/door and kill lord). I literally sat on the wall edge, and 1 shot downed people for a good minute. I marked anyone in range, kept that mark and used the bonus damage on any player that got close (without switching my mark). Mark player A (goes just out of range, still gaining malice). 1 shot down player B (14k). 1 shot down player C (12k). Within 3 secs of each other. Mark new player D. See scourge (no mark change). 1 shot down player E (15k -1k barrier 14k sourge). Burn him 'cause scourge. Mark new target and actually attack marked target. First DJ 11k, second 12k (3k auto) on the spellbreaker. Finish him.

Got feared a few times, but in the fray no one could really spend any time on me. If they took an attack at me on the wall, I just insta-downed them and let our zerg kill them. People act like this is hard to do, it isn't.

This is not a valid argument against Death's Judgement, please re-read the first sentence of your own "example" and you will come to the conclusion that nothing was wrong in this scenario. In fact, if you were a power hammer rev in your example, you would have been much more effective with even less effort.

@Turk.5460 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:I played all Saturday night on my thief (as deadeye) and it is one of the classes that I am just not very good at. There was almost 0 effort to get 12k-15k hits.Example from Saturday:T2 QL, opposing force is larger (their 30 to our 20ish). I'm on the north end of the wall when it goes down, so there is no way for players to melee me (the aoe'rs are too busy trying to push our zerg and farm the hole/door and kill lord). I literally sat on the wall edge, and 1 shot downed people for a good minute. I marked anyone in range, kept that mark and used the bonus damage on any player that got close (without switching my mark). Mark player A (goes just out of range, still gaining malice). 1 shot down player B (14k). 1 shot down player C (12k). Within 3 secs of each other. Mark new player D. See scourge (no mark change). 1 shot down player E (15k -1k barrier 14k sourge). Burn him 'cause scourge. Mark new target and actually attack marked target. First DJ 11k, second 12k (3k auto) on the spellbreaker. Finish him.

This is not a valid argument against Death's Judgement, please re-read the first sentence of your own "example" and you will come to the conclusion that nothing was wrong in this scenario. In fact, if you were a power hammer rev in your example, you would have been much more effective with even less effort.

There is nothing wrong with what I said. I am an average thief at best (currently playing deadeye when I do which is about once a week). I have about 12k health, exotic viper's armor (pack runes), berserker trinkets. With my little to no skill, I was constantly 1 shot downing players who were NOT my marked target. And, I can do that twice in succession before pausing to regen initiative. I am hitting cloth for 15k, leather for about 13.5k and plate for roughly 11.5k with just that one ability. The only "setup" is just waiting for malice to stack (time).

With regards to other classes/skills, that isn't what this specific thread is about. Sure, coalescence of ruin needs to be toned down. Gun flame still hits for 14-16k and ignores reflects/conversions (when it shouldn't). But, I wasn't looking to hijack this thread. We can discuss balance to those things in another thread.

@Solori.6025 said:

@Cerby.1069 said:So as long as the deadeye has to invest enough to get the numbers, it will be left along cause its okay. warrior rifle damage values literally cannot be nerfed anymore than they are to date, or the rifle itself comes into question as an actual weapon. We cant have certain weapons performing THAT badly in general use situations.

Have you played deadeye?

You don't invest much (though a lot to me is 3 dedicated trait lines and 2+ utilites) to reach the damage that say the ranger has to, to be able to get 5k AA's ( and that number depending on the target should be over 12k)

Secondly please don't put words in my mouth, because if I recall I did say " NO ONE LIKES BEING ONE SHOT FROM RANGE".

Thirdly,I currently roam on a deadeye, why roam on mes when you can delete people with half the effort?All it takes is patience, and positioningI would recommend you try the class first

And also, you failed to present a screenshot of you getting close to the deadeye damage, and until you do or can, I honestly don't believe you as a warrior get close to the damage a deadeye can.

I played deadeye back during the demo period, didnt much like it. Got an idea what the damage values were like though. I also have an idea from other players what kind of damage output they can do at the expense of what kind of tank.

And what words am I putting in your mouth? Yes I also recall you saying "no one liked being one shot from range" infact that was mentioned right in my argument when I made my counter for you.....look at your own post to remember perhaps? Maybe my posting as well? maybe

You are saying: I put words in your mouth, which I don't know what specifically are since you just say it without context, and yet I addressed words you specifically did say...

It's a little bit confunding.

And you roam as a deadeye, don't take a mesmer when you can delete people with half the effort....but you have to put in patience and positioning..........? And you play something more often than your mesmer but you don't like it and are clearly in the mesmer camp.....?Shouldn't patience and positioning be considered a large effort in this mode? Everything is op in this mode, it is literal 1 op thing vs another op thing. If you have to take patience and positioning in order to be op....I have to question just how op you really are.

I never run into a competent mesmer that has to fight based on patience and positioning.

I mean your point about deadeye not having to take much in terms of getting its damage values still stands. I have to question if that point is unbiased or not, other people seem to think it is and the rest of your argument supports this idea. So maybe provide a build or something to backup your claims and we can go from there.

Well, in wvw / pvp you will never beat d/p or s/d weaponsets - they provide way too much for the concept of the thief class and as such are the most taken weaponsets with d/p being the largest out of the 2 ... You just won't replace them ever - too much utility, spammable daze , invis on demand , there's just too much utility + dmg in d/p and with s/d you can basically evade chain and wear down opponents esp in acro (s/d is also used in top level pvp as well). Even staff is better than rifle although you'd probably not run this in a top level pvp environment , but could see it working for roaming in wvw.

it doesn't matter how good rifle is , unless it literally 1-shots people with auto attacks (even then you STILL wouldn't take it over d/p or s/d honestly as crazy as that sounds) ... The steal mechanic cannot be beaten either, plasma against mesmers is a massive example.

So in reality, you're arguing for nothing because nothing will beat d/p or s/d in both wvw/pvp.

Sorry

@Cerby.1069 said:

@Solori.6025 said:

Have you played deadeye?

I played deadeye back during the demo period, didnt much like it. Got an idea what the damage values were like though. I also have an idea from other players what kind of damage output they can do at the expense of what kind of tank.

And what words am I putting in your mouth? Yes I also recall you saying "no one liked being one shot from range" infact that was mentioned right in my argument when I made my counter for you.....look at your own post to remember perhaps? Maybe my posting as well? maybe

You are saying: I put words in your mouth, which I don't know what specifically are since you just say it without context, and yet I addressed words you specifically did say...

It's a little bit confunding.

And you roam as a deadeye, don't take a mesmer when you can delete people with half the effort....but you have to put in patience and positioning..........? And you play something more often than your mesmer but you don't like it and are clearly in the mesmer camp.....?Shouldn't patience and positioning be considered a large effort in this mode? Everything is op in this mode, it is literal 1 op thing vs another op thing. If you have to take patience and positioning in order to be op....I have to question just how op you really are.

I never run into a competent mesmer that has to fight based on patience and positioning.

I mean your point about deadeye not having to take much in terms of getting its damage values still stands. I have to question if that point is unbiased or not, other people seem to think it is and the rest of your argument supports this idea. So maybe provide a build or something to backup your claims and we can go from there.

The 1 "op" thing atm in wvw is spellbreaker, everything else has counters and EVEN spellbreaker has counters with ranger and condi mirage and good s/d thief play.

Every class will never be good at everything , it's really simple and when you understand this you will then see that it's more important to multi-class in this game than it is to focus on one class.

Besides, if you don't have a fundamental understanding of counting dodges, defensive cooldowns , offensive pressure at the appropriate times and positioning in regards to class(es) you're matching up with , then it's really irrelevant anyway right? Every class at that point would appear OP when in reality you just need to learn the classes, their traits, weaknesses, understand what it takes to beat them and so forth but the most important thing is 1 class will not be able to hard counter everybody , that's not how this game works.

That's not to say deadeye doesn't need adjustments, it most likely does starting with the "steal" mechanic. You can't compete with the Steal mechanic , esp against classes like mesmers (plasma , you need it or you're just a sitting duck esp against condi with resistance necessary) ... The other is competing weaponsets, like I said in my above post - you can't beat d/p or s/d or shortbow as weaponsets in wvw/pvp - they provide miles of utility and mobility over rifle, by far. To even compete with d/p alone rifle would need to be a massively godlike weapon.

In my experience so far it doesn't hurt to have a deadeye in your zerg, I'm a staff tempest (I'd like to be weaver but tempest is just better) and deadeyes are a huge problem for me since they can kill me quite quickly without getting themselves into too much trouble.So I think Deadeye isn't bad in WvW he has a niche which he fills pretty well but I agree that he's underperforming, I've tried deadeye for a bit and while I liked him in PvE he didn't seem very versatile in WvW. Although arguably a sniper spec isn't supposed to be very versatile but rather very good at that one thing - sniping.

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:Rifle is absolutely clunky right now, and trading Mobility for more range, when infact, that's the least you need in something like WvW, where mobility makes thieves so strong while roaming (or even scouting), obviously they are still useless in zergs, because of all the AOE.

Rifle is a poor choice of main weapon, unless you're sniping something that's distracted, even they you'll probably die from trying to keep in range to actually hit something.

rifle inst for roaming, but for zerging. u farm kills like crazy if learn positioning in blob fights.a run indepedent, dont need be in a squad.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

There is nothing wrong with what I said. I am an average thief at best (currently playing deadeye when I do which is about once a week). I have about 12k health, exotic viper's armor (pack runes), berserker trinkets. With my little to no skill, I was constantly 1 shot downing players who were NOT my marked target. And, I can do that twice in succession before pausing to regen initiative. I am hitting cloth for 15k, leather for about 13.5k and plate for roughly 11.5k with just that one ability. The only "setup" is just waiting for malice to stack (time).

With regards to other classes/skills, that isn't what this specific thread is about. Sure, coalescence of ruin needs to be toned down. Gun flame still hits for 14-16k and ignores reflects/conversions (when it shouldn't). But, I wasn't looking to hijack this thread. We can discuss balance to those things in another thread.

We can discuss it in this thread, considering it is relevant to your argument. Rev's hammer auto attack requires less effort than the attack you are singling out, and is more effective in the setting that you are providing in your example. It requires no resource to cast and hits up to 5 targets for on average, 5k damage. So if you're spamming that into a zerg, you are doing about 25k damage per auto attack. Much more effective than downing one person, and not being able to finish them. Then possibly downing a second person - also not being able to finish them. This is relevant to your scenario, because nobody is freaking out about hammer rev auto attack, yet for some reason you DJ is too much to handle. And there are plenty of other attacks from other professions that are much more effective and requiring much less effort than DJ - I only use Rev hammer auto because it is easy to visualize.

How you use deadeyes rifle to repositionfirst:

• Equip Withdraw and roll for iniative. And shadowarts with d/p.Then:
  • Keybind action camera, this way you can shoot in any general direction and roll backwards after
  • When you roll backwards you can use rifle 4 skill to leap backwards after the backwards roll finishes staying kneeledResult:
  • There, no1 should ever catch you. Mesmers will still 1 shot you from stealth, but guess thats just the thief/mesm game.

result: Cancerous, not very great build. Gets considerably worse if enemy gets protection/boonshare/reflects (organised).

@Turk.5460 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

We can discuss it in this thread, considering it is relevant to your argument. Rev's hammer auto attack requires less effort than the attack you are singling out, and is more effective in the setting that you are providing in your example.

I actually disagree, personally I don't think it's more difficult to set up, but some people think marking an ambient or even a front line target in the middle to gain malice is difficult.

Anyway, Let me be clear if I haven't been before ( and I probably haven't been) No one likes to be one-shot from range, and given the nature of thief I honestly dont think rifle should be touched, but I am not an optimist when it comes to Anet for " adjustments" I have learned not to be, based on the nerfs to classes I play.This spec is not hard to play,waiting for malice is not hardre positioning is not hardbeing aware is not hardand hitting 1- 2 buttons to kill things is not hard.

Now@"Cerby.1069" I don't think you have the proper experience to comment on the difficulty of setting up a DJ or any thing on rifle to be honest. You played it during demo weekend, cool. I played warrior through demo weekend, I will not sit and pretend though that warrior is easy, or complicated, because I don't know it like people that pour their free time and love into the profession. With that being said, I tried a gunflame build and it hits like a mack truck, and you are durable as well, but you do not get close to the damage I have been able to consistently get on a thief through a combination of 3RB+DJ or just straight DJ.But when you link me your build maybe I could try that and put some type of credit behind your claimLet me be the first though to post what my findings are, as I'm not afraid to.

the build you asked me for

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaEWALstQ0aZE5FAOANA+zYb8OC-jVBXgAA7PQrEsX9nQ9BBK/IDg+YA-w

This is the skeleton but you pretty much get that it is built for damage, survival comes from not being bad at awareness, which is honeslty harder than it sounds when you have counter snipers, or bad coordination with the group you are following

Ex, You go left when the tag goes right and the enemy zerg rotates into you

The results I have gotten from this are in the screenshots here:

https://imgur.com/mnIRZ5S

^This is a kill by peppering with 3RB and then finishing them with a DJ, this was a necro who popped shroud in panic and basically died from the overflow of damage from shroud to health.Please note that the people are different, meaning I marked one and DJ'd the other

https://imgur.com/iyUGLbR

^This is what happens when I get two crits in a row.This is on an ele in SMC that I saw trying to be cute on a wall as I glided back in to rejoin the fightdowned instantly because quickness.

https://imgur.com/DeNvbNJ

^this is me gaining might, then using assassins signet when the EP wears off (this was a warrior for those that dont understand)This fight was tricky because their are a lot of places rangers and other DE's could pick you off, but thats how SMC fights go

https://imgur.com/nM6vraw

^No signet on a guardian targetNot as high but still death

This is not hard to do, I really dont understand why people think this is hard to dostealth-steal-move-DJor Stealth-steal-#RB-DJ

and most of the time a 3RB will kill someone depending on what they are running an how much health they have.

Now for my roaming buddy Ninja FishHe runs in full berserker everything

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/313221240712331264/365626854763134984/image.jpg?width=419&height=559

^ thats his DJ from last nightassasins signet + bloodlust

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/313221240712331264/364162091185340416/image.jpg?width=419&height=559

^ Thats usually what he backstabs for in WvW on light and medium armor classes

When I solo roam, I like DD over DE because it is tons more mobile (through dodges) and has more ways to respond to random pop up enemy roamers.In zerg and group play (4v4+)DE really shines because you have more cover between teammates to maneuver and down, provided you are aware of your surroundingsNeither spec is really difficult to play, if you know basic mechanics

Both specs have a place for doing something different for WvW.

Extra stuff-bugs i observe that keeps DE from being amazingObstructed from uneven terrain.This is the single most annoying bug i have ever seen and needs to be hotfixed, a rock on the ground should not obstruct my view of a target 3 feet in front of me -_-

Edit: 10-8-17Biggest hit tonight :D I'm actually pretty happy with this, changed my build also to DE 1-1-1This is full malice+BL+15might

target also had 10+ stacks of vuln so this could be very unrealistic

https://imgur.com/vTDJVV2

Does DJ sound effect go off for everyone?I think this would be a huge help for people not able to dodge roll properlyOr their is a desync problem with the sound effect and shadow stepping.

I have also noticed that bushes will also obstruct you , so my list of obstructions are now

tree'sbushesrocks on the groundgentle slopesuneven, jagged terrainshotting upwardsshotting down on uneven terrainrandom white animalsshotting next to water ( cause rocks)and shotting on the side of hills

Oh man, I just got hit tonight with (I guess) the exploit people have mentioned. Started rezzing someone when nobody was around, red laser beam for a brief sec and "blam" 22.5k (and not marked). XD Got hit not long later while marked for an even 29k.

The issues needing fixes or buffs for Deadeye not withstanding, I gotta think Anet will put the brakes on whatever the cause of that is (building malice on walls or whatever).

@Choppy.4183 said:Oh man, I just got hit tonight with (I guess) the exploit people have mentioned. Started rezzing someone when nobody was around, red laser beam for a brief sec and "blam" 22.5k (and not marked). XD Got hit not long later while marked for an even 29k.

The issues needing fixes or buffs for Deadeye not withstanding, I gotta think Anet will put the brakes on whatever the cause of that is (building malice on walls or whatever).

If you were rezzing someone then they were probably marked, and you took the hit for them.My recommendation is if you res someone that is down alone, assume they arent, and put up a reflection field first.

If you are marked and alone, assume that a deadeye is going to shot you, at that point, you need to cover about 2000u very quickly and find uneven terrain and lots of places with LoS.

and a 29k means you were marked for a while, or were in a zerg and took a DJ to the face, I have no advice on how to avoid that in groups 100% of the time, maybe stand in front or around teammates, so that they will get hit with a non marked buffed DJ( though that does mean that they run the risk of being hit for you, and the hit will be large if it crits).

Hope that helps a little.

@Solori.6025 said:

@Choppy.4183 said:Oh man, I just got hit tonight with (I guess) the exploit people have mentioned. Started rezzing someone when nobody was around, red laser beam for a brief sec and "blam" 22.5k (and not marked). XD Got hit not long later while marked for an even 29k.

If you were rezzing someone then they were probably marked, and you took the hit for them.My recommendation is if you res someone that is down alone, assume they arent, and put up a reflection field first.

If you are marked and alone, assume that a deadeye is going to shot you, at that point, you need to cover about 2000u very quickly and find uneven terrain and lots of places with LoS.

and a 29k means you were marked for a while, or were in a zerg and took a DJ to the face, I have no advice on how to avoid that in groups 100% of the time, maybe stand in front or around teammates, so that they will get hit with a non marked buffed DJ( though that does mean that they run the risk of being hit for you, and the hit will be large if it crits).

Hope that helps a little.

I also got one-shot the other day by a deadeye. 24k crit with DJ. I was not ever marked. Forgive my ignorance as I don't play thief and haven't read up on Deadeye much, but should it be possible to do this kind of damage to an unmarked target without some sort of exploit or something fishy going on? It's one thing if I'm marked...I know to be careful, get out of range, LoS the Deadeye, etc. But it came out of nowhere and literally one-shot me. Something fishy is going on unless I completely misunderstand how this class works.

Archived