Deadeye... what were they thinking?!

Silverstone.4539

@Choppy.4183 said:Yeah, the video showed pretty much what I came across except the person was further away and we weren't in the middle of a battle. As mentioned, the laser was visible for a split second and then it was over. I thought the second example I mentioned (when I was actually marked and hit for 29k) was also interesting in that I made attempts to mitigate using a pretty mobile build, attempted to block LoS, etc., but he had enough mobility and stealth to make those attempts much less effective than they'd be against (for example) a longbow ranger.

In any case, my bet is Anet makes malice stacking target specific (which is a big hit vs targets able to stealth) and/or increases the channel time/visual tell. I hope they don't dive too much into the damage to start, but my prediction is they'll do something. I think one data point worth keeping in mind is that most people don't run their Deadeyes like this, which either means people haven't learned how to do it or it's a super small niche. Deadeye really doesn't seem unbalanced though, so I hope the class isn't dumpstered by any fix we should all expect is coming.

You just have to keep in mind DE will usually get two of these things and no more. if you manage to avoid one expect a second incomnig. I have been trying a Spellbreaker warrior and rather like dagger off hand over shield. It just fun and skill 5 can be so very satisfying when while using it on an enemy it reflects one of these shots.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Silverstone.4539 said:I'm just sitting dead meat, not much more. WTH class is this? why don't they make something that is on par with current meta, not something that is so below the bar it's not even worth playing.

I do like the idea of deadeye, but it just does not work. People are not NPCs, they don't stop attacking when you stealth. And they now I can't really move so they just keep swinging.

I'll try a bit more to make this work but I'm just not seeing it.

Here's some tips.

DE is not Daredevil. Do not play it like one. To be a DE, you need to be as ballsy as a honey badger. Unlike Daredevil, you really can't run away from a fight very well. If someone engages you, don't run away. Just fight them. DE is built heavily around securing the kills. Look at his traits - they practically encourage you to duke it out. It might not seem like it, but DE can seriously rock someone's world in a heart beat.

Slot your cantrips. I've seen this a lot in WvW, very few DE's slot their cantrips and they complain about being easily killed. Your cantrips seem underwhelming at first glance but they are probably some of thief's most powerful utilities. So where DD's utilities revolved around dueling and damaging. Your Cantrips revolve around defense and pre-emption. Shadow Gust will launch marked targets, letting you throw them off cliffs, or to give yourself some room while you reposition. Shadow Bind is the three second knock down that will prevent most players from doing jack crap - letting you dump three DJs in their face for free. Mercy lets you do some stupidly deadly combos or play mind games. And don't even get me started on some of the Core thief utilities.

Get accustomed to thief's weapon sets. Dagger Pistol is nice, but that whole meta was built around the roaming style. You can be a tanky bastard if you role with sword and iron sights and hit like a truck with each swing with cleave. Or you can be a slippery man with dual daggers and just dance around them while using grievers or marshal trinkets.

The DE has the strongest self heal in the game without needing healing power. You can almost completely restore your HP with 5 marks, or gurantee a full HP pool with 7.

You can speed up malice generation by taking advantage of the Revealed Malice which grants a malice stack for being revealed, and mix it with Shadow Meld.

You can get up to 50% damage reduction from Shadow Arts and the Deadeye's Iron Sights, and even avoid taking critical hits while stealthed.

@babazhook.6805 said:

@Choppy.4183 said:Yeah, the video showed pretty much what I came across except the person was further away and we weren't in the middle of a battle. As mentioned, the laser was visible for a split second and then it was over. I thought the second example I mentioned (when I was actually marked and hit for 29k) was also interesting in that I made attempts to mitigate using a pretty mobile build, attempted to block LoS, etc., but he had enough mobility and stealth to make those attempts much less effective than they'd be against (for example) a longbow ranger.

In any case, my bet is Anet makes malice stacking target specific (which is a big hit vs targets able to stealth) and/or increases the channel time/visual tell. I hope they don't dive too much into the damage to start, but my prediction is they'll do something. I think one data point worth keeping in mind is that most people don't run their Deadeyes like this, which either means people haven't learned how to do it or it's a super small niche. Deadeye really doesn't seem unbalanced though, so I hope the class isn't dumpstered by any fix we should all expect is coming.

You just have to keep in mind DE will usually get two of these things and no more. if you manage to avoid one expect a second incomnig. I have been trying a Spellbreaker warrior and rather like dagger off hand over shield. It just fun and skill 5 can be so very satisfying when while using it on an enemy it reflects one of these shots.

Like I said, I'm just making predictions about what Anet will do while assuming their intent. I'm not personally calling for Deadeye nerfs, unless these effects are based on unintended factors (stacking malice by marking mosquitos, etc). I honestly don't think there's much chance of them letting things stay as they are.

@Raguel.9402 said:Has anyone actually died to a deadeye more than once? I only die "sometimes" when I fail to notice that HUGE marker around you, which actually has to be on you for like forever before they can one shot you.

I mostly notice "dead" deadeyes everywhere currently.... :)

I kill a lot of people.Also that marker doesn't have to be on you.....

@Raguel.9402 said:Has anyone actually died to a deadeye more than once? I only die "sometimes" when I fail to notice that HUGE marker around you, which actually has to be on you for like forever before they can one shot you.

DE's are one of the easiest to kill, especially by other thieves. We completely lack mobility unless you slot something like Shadowstep along with stealth, which they did an excellent job with. Snipers should have good access to stealth and that is in order I must say. Probably the only thing they didn't fail at.

Also, people complaining about being one-shot by a sniper - really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but snipers are always the most deadly unit in any war. You should never see them and once they hit you it should be very hard to recover from, possibly not at all. 99% of the times you should not survive such an encounter. In real life hardly anyone ever does.

Another EDIT:by definition, a target being stalked should never know it is stalked / marked. I understand that is a game mechanic intended to give you time to escape since you know you are a target, hence if a thief uses a mark on another target just to build up malice to use against another target that is perfectly in order.

Probably the misconception here is that once a target is marked it's as if it was analysed for a vital spot to hit and by that made more susceptible to receive fatal damage, while in fact it's just to focus / build up power. You can do that with any target.

The easiest remedy for this would be to remove malice and just make a target more vulnerable over a period of time by means of analysis. After some time the mark would indicate the shooter has found a vital spot to execute a deadly blow. That would force the mark being cast on a single target, but that would also render this mechanic pointless in most cases since people can see they are being aimed at and which fool will stand in somebody's crosshairs?

It's in order, get over it.

Most Deadeyes (roaming) are vicious in WvW only because of some secondary team support while people tend to ignore the ranged in the back (if you focus the DE, it's a landslide and DE loses or runs). And Spellbreakers absolutely annihilate DEs (Mirage for it's high-evade uptime isn't bad either). I've seen far more Spellbreakers as of late in roaming (thanks to Full Counter crazy damage/unblockable and 100% damage reduction while channeling) which beats any sort of equivalent DE defensive/stealth setup because DE is highly immobile to do good damage (outside of lame duck enemy builds that can't deal with condis/immobilize).

That being said for Deadeye (zerg), there is a decent condi version zerg build using DE Mark/Improvisation/Deadeye Line 3-3-3 that adds an absolute ton of burst Might/Boon support (thanks to all the lovely Scrouges running around, healing is very high or target a Revenant for good group Resistance uptime; Guardian isn't a horrible target either) and take cantrips. Opening in zerg clash looks like find right target, DE Mark, use, use, Mercy, DE Mark, use, use (can be 20 stacks of bleed at up to 1500 range right there on a target Scourge and nearby 4 with Daze/Boon rip if you take Trickery), you added up to 200 stacks of Might to yourself and others, and pumped out a ton of healing (typically, 1-3 are blocked or evaded) but Mug trait strong here. Then Shadow Meld elite (with One in the Chamber), and do it again which turns the Elite into an offensive zerg AoE option. On Thief forum, people keep asking for DE Mark to be instant/for it to be unblockable and haven't tried this. It's very strong, quirky WvW build and great for tagging in general. Mercy and Shadow Meld are really the only two decent Cantrips to use though because mainly no cast time and Mercy is stun break. It's kind of a lame build though (aka nigh-useless) while waiting for Steal/Cantrips to recharge so look for downed players (rez your own) and/or SB 4 enemy downs while waiting and spam SB 3 if in any trouble. It's not straight-up better than a Scourge in zerg but it's an option with better mobility and similar burst range pressure.

You can still do crazy numbers with DE.I took a 23k on my weaver in pvp with a mender amulet (no toughness yes, but 17k hp weren’t enough :D)

I though anet didn’t want classes which could one shot other players ?

Especially one which can stealth and hit you in the back ?

Overall if you stay focus when you see it, it’s not unbeatable. But the damage are still strong imo. Especially for a 1500 range class which can take a pretty safe position.

@Hana.8143 said:You can still do crazy numbers with DE.I took a 23k on my weaver in pvp with a mender amulet (no toughness yes, but 17k hp weren’t enough :D)

I though anet didn’t want classes which could one shot other players ?

Especially one which can stealth and hit you in the back ?

Overall if you stay focus when you see it, it’s not unbeatable. But the damage are still strong imo. Especially for a 1500 range class which can take a pretty safe position.

The damage from Death’s Judgement can’t come from Stealth, Thief is Revealed for the whole Cast of the skill, let’s not forget obvious tells, and making the Thief pretty immobile. Anet set it up as being a very obvious skill through forcing it to Reveal, have multiple visual tells and an audio tell, making it only able to be used while Kneeling etc.

Now the fact that Deadeye can Mark other things and get the Death’s Judgement bonus Damage could be changed, but so far it seems to be working as stated by Tooltip description.

@Artaz.3819 said:Most Deadeyes (roaming) are vicious in WvW only because of some secondary team support while people tend to ignore the ranged in the back (if you focus the DE, it's a landslide and DE loses or runs). And Spellbreakers absolutely annihilate DEs (Mirage for it's high-evade uptime isn't bad either). I've seen far more Spellbreakers as of late in roaming (thanks to Full Counter crazy damage/unblockable and 100% damage reduction while channeling) which beats any sort of equivalent DE defensive/stealth setup because DE is highly immobile to do good damage (outside of lame duck enemy builds that can't deal with condis/immobilize).

Ehhhh, I don't think I've lost to a roaming spellbreaker yet while using rifle. A Rifle DE can pretty much kill a SB with auto attack and Death's Retreat + the occasional shadowstep. It's very very rare to see a SB roaming with rifle, which would really be their only available counter-pressure to rifle DE. Same thing with Scourge. These two elites delete other melee players, but can't do much to ranged kiting. Which is perfectly fine as long as they are still able to delete melee players as effortlessly as they do. And oh boy, it sure is effortless....#plsnerfAoE's

@Inoki.6048 said:

Also, people complaining about being one-shot by a sniper - really? Correct me if I'm wrong, but snipers are always the most deadly unit in any war. You should never see them and once they hit you it should be very hard to recover from, possibly not at all. 99% of the times you should not survive such an encounter. In real life hardly anyone ever does.

So, I guess you would be fine with Anet changing the engineer mortar elite so all mortars do 30k-100k damage aoe in a 600 radius, because that is how mortars really are in a war. I guess you would be ok with them changing the ranger spike trap to 1 shot kill you because if you ever fell on a spike trap there is no almost way to survive.

You see where this is going. The point is that no class should be given a single skill that can kill every other class with 1 shot, can be fired twice, and can be made to ignore everything but a lucky dodge. I have been playing it, and it needs to be toned down. The tells last less than a second (.75) , and with the lag in wvw, they aren't even showing half the time. The fact players are marking walls and using the bonus damage on players (I tend to use ambient mobs like mosquitoes, but that's me) is not ok.

@Turk.5460 said:

@Artaz.3819 said:Most Deadeyes (roaming) are vicious in WvW only because of some secondary team support while people tend to ignore the ranged in the back (if you focus the DE, it's a landslide and DE loses or runs). And Spellbreakers absolutely annihilate DEs (Mirage for it's high-evade uptime isn't bad either). I've seen far more Spellbreakers as of late in roaming (thanks to Full Counter crazy damage/unblockable and 100% damage reduction while channeling) which beats any sort of equivalent DE defensive/stealth setup because DE is highly immobile to do good damage (outside of lame duck enemy builds that can't deal with condis/immobilize).

Ehhhh, I don't think I've lost to a roaming spellbreaker yet while using rifle. A Rifle DE can pretty much kill a SB with auto attack and Death's Retreat + the occasional shadowstep. It's very
very
rare to see a SB roaming with rifle, which would really be their only available counter-pressure to rifle DE. Same thing with Scourge. These two elites delete other melee players, but can't do much to ranged kiting. Which is perfectly fine as long as they are still able to delete melee players as effortlessly as they do. And oh boy, it sure is effortless....#plsnerfAoE's

I've lost plenty; mind you when I say lost, I mean pack up my bags and leave the area just as much as falling over. It's the Spellbreakers using GS/Hammer or GS and Sword/Sh. What kills you is the damage immunity through Endure Pain/2nd with trait and Blocks/Evade on GS/distance close followed by heavy CC pressure as well as the typical Line of Sight defense.

@EvilSardine.9635 said:This is hilarious. I guess no one has figured out how to use it.

Rifle deadeye is straight up unkillable in general roaming and can beat pretty much anything in a duel.

I kill or make DEs run 90% of time with my D/P Daredevil still (not talking about the couch potato bags without any reflexes). It's a stealth/alpha strike game (who sees who first because caught unaware means you lose) but D/P perma-stealth always wins on "stealth/re-positioning" because I can LoS. The key is the power of Shadow Shot/Headshot and immunity to immobilize/cripple on Dash if Rifle 2 is used (counterplay). It's a fight heavily weighted to Daredevil's advantage so not that big of a surprise really.

(Roaming), an opposing class matchup to DE without high mobility/or/high active defenses is screwed because they are dead before making contact or you have taken way too much damage before contact or just lose to kiting whether it's stealth/reposition or immobilize spam or both.

@Silverstone.4539 said:I'm just sitting dead meat, not much more. WTH class is this? why don't they make something that is on par with current meta, not something that is so below the bar it's not even worth playing.

I do like the idea of deadeye, but it just does not work. People are not NPCs, they don't stop attacking when you stealth. And they now I can't really move so they just keep swinging.

I'll try a bit more to make this work but I'm just not seeing it.

cus all the retarded thiefs in thief forum wanted rifle, while any non retard would have known rifle is slow as fuck thus doesnt suit a thief at all.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Inoki.6048 said:

So, I guess you would be fine with Anet changing the engineer mortar elite so all mortars do 30k-100k damage aoe in a 600 radius, because that is how mortars really are in a war. I guess you would be ok with them changing the ranger spike trap to 1 shot kill you because if you ever fell on a spike trap there is no almost way to survive.

You see where this is going. The point is that no class should be given a single skill that can kill every other class with 1 shot, can be fired twice, and can be made to ignore everything but a lucky dodge. I have been playing it, and it needs to be toned down. The tells last less than a second (.75) , and with the lag in wvw, they aren't even showing half the time. The fact players are marking walls and using the bonus damage on players (I tend to use ambient mobs like mosquitoes, but that's me) is not ok.

Mortar is weak. Imagine what Orbital Strike should do. You can keep launching those wimpy artillery shells at the enemy, I'm going to remove the battlefield.

Deadeyes are only useful on WvW against unexperienced players. P/P Daredevil is way better than any rifle build (in terms of long range weapons) in all scenarios (PvP, WvW, PvE/Openworld). Even P/P Deadeye is better than rifle Deadeye. I was really excited about using rifle, but I find miself lacking a lot of damage and survivability when using it, so now I only use it just so I don't feel I wasted my money on the expansion (regardless the extra content).

Let's hope ANet notices there are not enough people happy with Deadeye class and do something about it.

@Stoneheart.6547 said:Deadeyes are only useful on WvW against unexperienced players. P/P Daredevil is way better than any rifle build (in terms of long range weapons) in all scenarios (PvP, WvW, PvE/Openworld). Even P/P Deadeye is better than rifle Deadeye. I was really excited about using rifle, but I find miself lacking a lot of damage and survivability when using it, so now I only use it just so I don't feel I wasted my money on the expansion (regardless the extra content).

Let's hope ANet notices there are not enough people happy with Deadeye class and do something about it.

There are plenty of people happy with the Deadeye elite spec. I don't think the 5% of players who actually post on the forums are enough of a sample size to say "not enough".

@Ubi.4136 I mentioned even though I play Deadeye I am not OK with the fact a sniper spec was introduced to the game. The entire logic of it is flawed. For instance, normally one would expect massive range with a sniper spec (I'm talking about 2 - 3k range) that would however be widely exploited and this game just isn't suited for it. Now you got 1.2k (same as most classes = doesn't make sense for a rifle with a scope that can zoom), so if I were to picture my class as a sentry on rooftops, hills and camping towers from the safety of their walls I cannot. In my eyes, in this regard, it's utterly useless. I am actually thinking of going back to melee thief as I enjoy its mobility a lot more and don't even need stealth.

I think all the classes need to be toned down so they make more sense and greater class diversity would be introduced to the game. With that each class would become more unique and thus more desirable in a composition. e.g. Confusion as a condition would only be exclusive to Mesmers, Necros are known for curses, Burning and Bleeding can be shared with most, Poison and Bleeds are good with Thieves and Rangers (Hunter classes)... you get my point; Druids' heals need to be changed from targetted to heal selected target or to be able to heal an entire party at once. Guardian's Dragonhunter spec and teleportation skills completely removed, given leaps or charges instead...

...something that will not happen sadly.

@Cerby.1069 said:One of them 1 shotted me on my warrior today with death's judgement. So just under 21k damage in a single shot. Which I guess is fine.....just they did it from stealth with that one skill. I'm literally ooc then suddenly im dead in 1 hit. Kinda kitten, since it revealed them after it alrdy hit me and I was down for the count. I can't remember if I could see the projectile or not as it shot from stealth......definitely wasn't time to see anything that fast and discrete if ur not looking out for it. I didn't die since others were around me and we were looking for him the whole time...so he was obviously stacking stuff on me from stealth the entire time even though I didn't notice the deadeye mark on me (im pretty sure i didnt have the mark till he shot).

Its a case of you know a deadeye is in the area. YOu are ooc, full hp, full armour. You have no way to reveal him out of stealth, which can stack a stupid long time, so you don't know if he still around lurking or ran off at anytime. Thennn ur ded. Im pretty darned sure I didnt have the deadeye mark on me the whole time...I def woulda noticed. Even if I did though...I literally couldn't do anything other than try to dodge at the second he shoots me...lol. And even then that wouldn't reveal him since he didnt hit anything, he could just try again.

I don't think that's okay.....1-shotting from stealth, especially when the penalty is only being revealed for 3 seconds on a class that can easily do a marathon run in that time and back for a stealth stomp. That needs a change. Using such a powerful skill should reveal or drop stealth 'as its' casting, not after it hits lol.

I have the same experience today, being one shot 20k damage from stealth, i don't think the damage is the main problem here, stealth provided perfect cover provide zero counter play is the issue.

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@Cerby.1069 said:One of them 1 shotted me on my warrior today with death's judgement. So just under 21k damage in a single shot. Which I guess is fine.....just they did it from stealth with that one skill. I'm literally ooc then suddenly im dead in 1 hit. Kinda kitten, since it revealed them after it alrdy hit me and I was down for the count. I can't remember if I could see the projectile or not as it shot from stealth......definitely wasn't time to see anything that fast and discrete if ur not looking out for it. I didn't die since others were around me and we were looking for him the whole time...so he was obviously stacking stuff on me from stealth the entire time even though I didn't notice the deadeye mark on me (im pretty sure i didnt have the mark till he shot).

Its a case of you know a deadeye is in the area. YOu are ooc, full hp, full armour. You have no way to reveal him out of stealth, which can stack a stupid long time, so you don't know if he still around lurking or ran off at anytime. Thennn ur ded. Im pretty darned sure I didnt have the deadeye mark on me the whole time...I def woulda noticed. Even if I did though...I literally couldn't do anything other than try to dodge at the second he shoots me...lol. And even then that wouldn't reveal him since he didnt hit anything, he could just try again.

I don't think that's okay.....1-shotting from stealth, especially when the penalty is only being revealed for 3 seconds on a class that can easily do a marathon run in that time and back for a stealth stomp. That needs a change. Using such a powerful skill should reveal or drop stealth 'as its' casting, not after it hits lol.

I have the same experience today, being one shot 20k damage from stealth, i don't think the damage is the main problem here, stealth provided perfect cover provide zero counter play is the issue.

Good thing Death’s Judgement can’t deal Damage from Stealth.

@Inoki.6048 said:@Ubi.4136 I mentioned even though I play Deadeye I am not OK with the fact a sniper spec was introduced to the game. The entire logic of it is flawed. For instance, normally one would expect massive range with a sniper spec (I'm talking about 2 - 3k range) that would however be widely exploited and this game just isn't suited for it. Now you got 1.2k (same as most classes = doesn't make sense for a rifle with a scope that can zoom), so if I were to picture my class as a sentry on rooftops, hills and camping towers from the safety of their walls I cannot. In my eyes, in this regard, it's utterly useless. I am actually thinking of going back to melee thief as I enjoy its mobility a lot more and don't even need stealth.

I think all the classes need to be toned down so they make more sense and greater class diversity would be introduced to the game. With that each class would become more unique and thus more desirable in a composition. e.g. Confusion as a condition would only be exclusive to Mesmers, Necros are known for curses, Burning and Bleeding can be shared with most, Poison and Bleeds are good with Thieves and Rangers (Hunter classes)... you get my point; Druids' heals need to be changed from targetted to heal selected target or to be able to heal an entire party at once. Guardian's Dragonhunter spec and teleportation skills completely removed, given leaps or charges instead...

...something that will not happen sadly.

I think we're on the same page here. I had the same thought last night. I try to limit my thief wvw time anyway, but have insta-killed enough people with deadeye this past 2 weeks that I feel like I shouldn't even be playing the spec (like I am exploiting a broken system). I will be going back to vanilla thief, maybe sw/dag and p/p or something and just stick to chrono for wvw for the foreseeable future.

Gais, obviously one video is not proof enough of being one shotted from stealth, so until a less laggy better quality slomo video with music is provided, actually showing the shot from stealth without the fricking shark laser beam, we cannot condemn an entire class of being overpowered.

Also pro obvious tips of the day, don't turn your back to a deadeye.. I don't care if you can't see him, you all should be using stealth traps because if there were five stealth traps around one of them would have hit it foshaw, use more vitality so the next time the 24k shot won't one shot you, also it's power so use more toughness, so that's kinda obvious to use all pvt gear, obviously captain obvious's's.

Everything is working as intended in this game, including stealth, thieves are very squishy, if that deadeye didn't have stealth he would have been one shotted by another deadeye who could have also been one shotted by another deadeye present or even a revenant around the corner or an engineer mortar by the stairs, before a deadeye could have one shotted that warrior. So if you're gonna complain about their shot, then first think about how they get one shotted by everyone else, and see if your complaint makes sense and worthwhile to post.

I didn't post my video as some proof that it happened from stealth. I never claimed he did it from stealth. Just that I was never marked, and if the whole system is "you mark some insignificant creature to build up massive damage stacks against ANYBODY without them knowing", then that's stupid and makes no sense.

One big damage number and everyone freaks out.

Put that same player on a Mesmer, ranger or pretty much anything else that can deliver ranged pressure, with burst and youll have a lot more to worry about. Ive already benched my deadeye till it gets massive buffs, because as it stands I can take several other of my alt characters and do a truck load more damage, sustained or burst and have better defences that don't include "stealth and run away, hoping to stay alive after the enemy uses a gap closer".

Dear Dwayna, people, the deadeye is the least of your worries. As it is, it flat out sucks and any thief worth their salt is playing a daredevil instead or....if they really have to play deadeye....they are wielding dual pistols so they can actually hurt you while having some initiative left after they press two buttons. Also so they aren't, you know, rooted to the spot and lumbered with massive, telegraphed skills.

Archived