Skyscale worth?

@Vayne.8563 said:I'm not always interested in going somewhere faster. Sometimes I'm interested in getting to hard to get places.

Bingo! I never used my Griffon because it was the fastest, I used it because I could alter my z-axis while traveling. The Skyscale allows me to do this so much easier, and with a lot more precision, as I don't have to worry about building up/maintaining flight speed in order to hit the required angle to ascend to where I want to go.

Skyscale is undoubtedly slower, but I get to hard to reach places much faster than I do on the Griff.

Honestly, the only time I took out my Griff this whole week was to cross the Crystal Oasis to reach a bounty. My Springer has been used universally as a defiance bar bomb.

Maybe things will change once the new car smell of the Skyscale wears off, but I find it ironic how I used to think this was a useless mount, and now it's the one I use almost exclusively.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:I'm not always interested in going somewhere faster. Sometimes I'm interested in getting to hard to get places.

Bingo! I never used my Griffon because it was the fastest, I used it because I could alter my z-axis while traveling. The Skyscale allows me to do this so much easier, and with a lot more precision, as I don't have to worry about building up/maintaining flight speed in order to hit the required angle to ascend to where I want to go.

Skyscale is undoubtedly slower, but I get to hard to reach places much faster than I do on the Griff.

Honestly, the only time I took out my Griff this whole week was to cross the Crystal Oasis to reach a bounty. My Springer has been used universally as a defiance bar bomb.

Maybe things will change once the new car smell of the Skyscale wears off, but I find it ironic how I used to think this was a useless mount, and now it's the one I use almost exclusively.

Today I took a guildie into TD to help them complete the zone. I do this sort of thing a lot. We both have Skyscales. In the past, it was harder for her to follow me, even though we both have griffons. In the air, while flying once you lose site of someone they really can't wait. On the skyscale, I could take off, hover, wait for her to find me and continue. It was so much easier than it's ever been before, because we both had sky scales. I don't think it's just the shine of a new mount. I think the ability to hover and look around while stationary makes a huge difference in and of itself.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Today I took a guildie into TD to help them complete the zone. I do this sort of thing a lot. We both have Skyscales. In the past, it was harder for her to follow me, even though we both have griffons. In the air, while flying once you lose site of someone they really can't wait. On the skyscale, I could take off, hover, wait for her to find me and continue. It was so much easier than it's ever been before, because we both had sky scales. I don't think it's just the shine of a new mount. I think the ability to hover and look around while stationary makes a huge difference in and of itself.

Great point. The ability to hover is a great feature.

My wife is going through PoF content for the first time right now. Last night we were in the Tomb of the Primeval Kings, and the mastery insight at the top of the column used to require the Griffon, and you had to launch from one end of the room to crest up to it. This time I went to the base of the pillar, used the Skyscale to rise up to the top. Had to use Bond of Faith and grapple twice, but made it, dropped a portal, and the Mrs. got her mastery point.

@Tumtums.5164 said:Is it worth it completing the Skyscale collections. Ik there very long and very boring, also is there a paywall like the griffin?

I’ve tried riding the Skyscale and it runs out of green bar fast and then just declines, also it’s slow. I feel like everything you do with it can be accomplished by the griffin or springer. I don’t even use the griffin too much as is.

So is it worth doing the Skyscale collections?

Just played through the collection causally with a guildmate and its wasn't so bad. Have it, but still finding I lean on raptor/springer more when getting about. Noted still working on masteries but it seems like other mounts each will have their own niche but others can also be used. ANet's intent is about the joy of movement versus one mount to rule them all so.... granted your mileage will vary.

Just got mine last night. I took my time (especially grinding currencies to avoid burnout) and got one mastery done afterwards, will work on the rest today. Love it so far, trying to be mindful of other players and not shower them with dirt, now i'm playing around with dyes and waiting for another skin (the new one is pretty but a bit too delicate for my giant norn) In my opinion, worth every second of the journey.