A solid case as to why Tengu could be a playable race, and why it would be worthwhile.

@derd.6413 said:

1. the quotes and interviews i've been provided everytime this discussion comes up never talk about xpacs or their supposed "not being worked on"-status it's always anet talking about wanting more/better LW (which doesn't mean they're not working on xpacs)

Actually quotes, and links to source, in this very thread DO speak specifically about xpacs and their status.

if you're talking about the mmorpg.com article: no, it doesn't. speculation from a journalist is still speculation

A statement from the top brass at Anet hardly qualifies as speculation.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we do need tengu as playable race or tonic combats if is that hard to make them playable we wait almost 6 year to play tengu so many year we waiting them is about time arenanet must do something to end this long year of wait for play tengu as race or else a combats tonic.

Yea...while some want Tengu for RP or to looks cool with outfit/skin, i only want them if they have impact on the dialouge and other characters acknowledge your race but since HoT, vanilla races don't matter anymore we got few race-specific dialouge but nothing important, until Anet can fix that i'm not gonna bother. Plus what are the chances that they won't re-use Charr animation for Tengu? Sylvari don't have many unique animation beside running/dance same goes for Norn

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:With the cantha expansion looming; Or more the Idea of one becoming closer and closer to reality I felt its time we touched this once again.

Huh, where is this coming from?

First we must cover two things which are the models and animations are done.

Charr have tails, Tengu do not have tails. Ironically, this means some of the armors will look better on Tengu than Charr (there are Charr skins that miss the tail) but the others will need to be edited. Charr tails appearing when the armor isn't compatible is less of an issue than a Tengu wearing armor with a tail...

Animations aren't done, Charr run on four legs, Tengu run on two legs. Their skeletons might be similar but the animations are different because Charr animations need to account for the body posture. Tengu require more human-like animations.

1. The first is simple, its an expansion seller.

No it's not. Mounts are expansion sellers because they are content for everyone. A new race is not, only those interested in the new race will see this as an expansion seller. Moreover, Mounts can integrate with content, making them essential to progress the story, or making them incredibly useful to navigate the maps. A new race offers no such convenience, therefore a new race will never be an important game feature, or an expansion seller.

1. They Don't need a starting zone but the city is already there;

Can I go to that city? No, it still needs to be created.

or else a tonic combats if making tengu as playable race is too hard.but my question is.which model tengu you want to be a tonic combats ? the version of heart of thorn or the classic tengu we see in lion arch ? between those model https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/008/388/698/large/hyunbo-park-tengu-upgraded-v03-arenalogo.jpg?1512453701 https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/a5/Swift_Arrow.jpg

While I don't disagree with many of your points and I like the idea to see a new race, I would be strongly against introducing it without a personal story. This is one. Second would be that I would never choose a new race as the main selling point of the expansion. It may be easy to implement everything, or maybe not. What I know is that if it is not easy I prefer more content elsewhere. For example, I want great, new elite specializations. I want to participate in well-thought, interesting meta events, which are developed with the idea of uniting as many players as possible, like a true MMO. I want a great and interesting story, which is so huge that it blows my mind. I want more collections, which are not only time consuming but also interesting and engaging. I want a new interesting mechanic which can stand "proudly" next to the mechanics of HoT and PoF (gliding, mushrooms, mounts, etc.). I want performance and engine optimization of the game. I want QoL tweaks to make the game more intuitive. I want WvW and PvP additions and improvements, like swiss tournaments or alliances.

P.S. These are the open positions at ANEThttps://www.arena.net/en/careers

well devs must listen this time i repeat myself.we have enough of waiting tengu.and again make them as tonic combats would be perfect as we wait 6 year for them. a tonic combats tengu that what i waiting .a race or tonic whatever but they must do something for us.

I really love the idea of new races. I almost 100% sure that we won't be getting news classes ever, but a race would definitely do the job.Race change and new race for me.

You know that the problem is? We have literally no idea whether ANet is planning / willing to make new playable races.We don't know whether they will implement visual-clutter-bar.We have no idea whether Living World replaced Expansions or if it's a current way od content.We don't know literally anything about the future plans for GW2 except "they are working on Build Templates" and "LWS5 is coming" - that's all we have.This bothers me now a lot more often than ever.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:
  1. there are so many other more worthwhile races to be added and more ways to add new races (without conflicts).

That's almost objectively false. Tengu have repeatedly been the most requested race-add out of
so many new race polls
. So many. Weekly, even. And they were
almost
included in the original 5 races before Charr made the cut.That doesn't change that it's a huge undertaking to retrofit armor, hire a dozen voice actors, perform Season 2 on up, have
some
kind of 1-80 experience (unless they're treated as a post-vanilla hero race), etc...

Worthwile doesnt mean popular.

I feel like this is one of those things people think they want, but fun would quickly fade away and it would turn out as investment was way bigger than it was worth it.Making a new race playable is quite a serious task and investment. They would really need to be sure that enough people want it and that it would "last". I don't know how many people would care about new race. I can only speak for myself and I would definetly not care and buy expansion if new playable race was the selling point for it.

I play GW2 and for that matter GW. When both games had expansions come out I bought them. In GW2's case that was both PoF and HoT of course and I got them because they were expansions, not because of masteries and mounts. The only selling point is that they were the expansion for the game I play.And I would do the same IF we get another.I would buy it if it was GW:EN all over if it was cantha if it was on a planet far far away.And thankful that the game was still running.Noone seems thankful we have GW2 these days.

@Dami.5046 said:I play GW2 and for that matter GW. When both games had expansions come out I bought them. In GW2's case that was both PoF and HoT of course and I got them because they were expansions, not because of masteries and mounts. The only selling point is that they were the expansion for the game I play.And I would do the same IF we get another.I would buy it if it was GW:EN all over if it was cantha if it was on a planet far far away.And thankful that the game was still running.Noone seems thankful we have GW2 these days.

How did you gather that no one is thankful for gw2? Because we wouldn't buy an expansion that provides content we don't want to play? If you want to support the game, you can do so by buying gems, no need to buy content you don't want to play...

@derd.6413 said:except 1. xpacs are a big money maker for anet and 2 why would they talk about xpac stuff to us when there's at least an entire season of LW before it (and we tend to get xpac news at the end of the preceding season)We heard that an expac is in the works shortly after HoT, and it got confirmed later on when MO mentioned expac team. That was a loong time before any official mention of PoF. SInce PoF however Anet has been curiously silent on the issue - the only definite statement we've heard so far has been negative.

so to me there's no reason for anet to talk about it or not be working on itThey were trying to reassure players that all is well with the game even after layoffs. Mentioning expac would have been one of the best ways to do that. As i see it, the only reason why they wouldn't do that is if no expac was actually being worked on at this point.It doesn't mean they haven't started working on one since, or that they won;t start working on one in near future, but that would push any possible release date to late 2021/early 2022 at best.

Also, they clearly mentioned that their plan is to develop the game (and introduce features) through living world releases. That also doesn;t sound to me like them plannig for a future expac.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@derd.6413 said:except 1. xpacs are a big money maker for anet and 2 why would they talk about xpac stuff to us when there's at least an entire season of LW before it (and we tend to get xpac news at the end of the preceding season)We heard that an expac is in the works shortly after HoT, and it got confirmed later on when MO mentioned expac team. That was a loong time before any official mention of PoF. SInce PoF however Anet has been curiously silent on the issue - the only definite statement we've heard so far has been negative.

i always thought the xpac team discussion was more in response to the massive content droughts around HoT

so to me there's no reason for anet to talk about it or not be working on itThey were trying to reassure players that all is well with the game even after layoffs. Mentioning expac would have been one of the best ways to do that. As i see it, the only reason why they wouldn't do that is if no expac was actually being worked on at this point.It doesn't mean they haven't started working on one since, or that they won;t start working on one in near future, but that would push any possible release date to late 2021/early 2022 at best.

Also, they clearly mentioned that their plan is to develop the game (and introduce features) through living world releases. That also doesn;t sound to me like them plannig for a future expac.

to me everything points to anet wanting more time beween xpacs rather then it's cancellation (when i say making xpacs i don't mean they're already programming it, more early design developments like espec ideas, what xpac seller to use, that sort of thing) but the big thing i'm trying to get across is we don't know what anet is up to with xpacs and proclaiming that anet has cancelled all development on them is baseless negativity.

A new race brings very few things to the table. It's essentially a skin wrapped around existing professions. On the other hand ANET would need to develop a whole personal story for this new race for every profession. It would also need to do all the attack and skill animations for this new race for every existing profession and specialization. It would also need to do the graphics for all the armor sets worn by this new race across all equipment types. It would be too much extra work with very little pay off.

@derd.6413 said:

i always thought the xpac team discussion was more in response to the massive content droughts around HoTThe first mention was very shortly after HoT, so
before
content drought became an issue.

to me everything points to anet wanting more time beween xpacs rather then it's cancellationYes, sure, them saying that they think they can move the game forward through living world points to them wanting to do expacs. Them not mentioning a word about expacs when they talked about the future of the game, when they mentioned things they themselves said were at best on a far away wish list, and not even worked on, is them planning to do another expac.[/sarcasm]

but the big thing i'm trying to get across is we don't know what anet is up to with xpacs and proclaiming that anet has cancelled all development on them is baseless negativity.It's not baseless. It is based on what Anet said. It's actually the opposite - there is no basis whatsoever to assume they are working now, or planning to work on another expac.Yes, we do not know for certain, but currently there's far more pointing to them
not
doing another expac than to them doing one.

Just regarding the "we aren't working on an expansion" thing - that comment was before the non-GW2 projects got cut, and because S5 was already in production, it will naturally be what comes next.

But it's entirely possible that the events of February might change their minds regarding what happens after S5.

@Healix.5819 said:If they were going to add a new race, they would want something with a major wow-factor, something that would sell the game and get people talking. Tengu would only end up as one of the least played races. Although they've obviously left the Tengu open as an option, they would likely go with something not currently in the game. For example, they would never do this, but having Aurene continue to amass power, take on a hybrid human form and found a new nation/race with the unique racial of built-in gliding/skyscale would sell a lot better.

Something to talk about. How about Tengu get to fly natively. That would make them the most played race.

@Nol Fran Shee.1285 said:

@"Healix.5819" said:If they were going to add a new race, they would want something with a major wow-factor, something that would sell the game and get people talking. Tengu would only end up as one of the least played races. Although they've obviously left the Tengu open as an option, they would likely go with something not currently in the game. For example, they would never do this, but having Aurene continue to amass power, take on a hybrid human form and found a new nation/race with the unique racial of built-in gliding/skyscale would sell a lot better.

Something to talk about. How about Tengu get to fly natively. That would make them the
most
played race.

Putting aside weight/wings size ratio, they are flightless per lore.

[Tengu] are a unique species of avian humanoids found in both Tyria and Cantha. Females are generally larger than males of the species, though their plumage is plainer, even drab. Tengu lost the ability of flight some time in the distant past, but can use their almost human hands to wield all manner of weapons—when they want to. Their talons make most weapons superfluous. Tengu hate cooked food, and most live on a diet of fresh, raw meat.