Get the griffon or Skyscale first? (Thanks for the opinions)

Title pretty much says it all but I used to only play in WvW and had never set foot in the PoF PvE zones. However, I am taking a break from WvW and am enjoying playing through the PoF story and collecting the different mounts. I read that once I reach the end of the story, I can start the Griffon collection (lots of gold, though I do have it) but the Skyscale seems to be similar (lots of time from what I have heard?) in the way it works.Would you recommend going to Skyscale first?

I enjoyed getting the griffin more and at Max mastery the thing can fly extremely fast. I’m skewed towards it because I’ve had it for 18 months longer and it’s been a cornerstone of my gameplay.

The Skyscale is subjectively tedious to get due to the length and I’m still discovering its uses (it’s v useful for getting up and out of danger fast and up to ledges etc).

I would go for the griffin since it requires group content and right now pof is well populated. The Skyscale is largely solo to obtain

I'd say aim for both while keeping the other in mind. Griffon isn't particuarly hard to get, the hardest thing was the 250g paywall. Skyscale requires 23 charged quartz if you don't want to buy anything off the trading post, so I'd start charging Quartz (and hoarding Ls4 currencies) today.

Both require completely different resources to acquire. Gather resources simultaneously and do achievements for both occasionally. The Griffon collection is arguably a lot faster if the gold (250 gold) is present. The Skyscale collection is best done with small steps at a time.

That depends on what you want to do with it. For general travel the griffon is far faster and with practice can be kept in the air indefinitely. For precision vertical travel, the ability to pause in a safe place midair, and certain gathering tasks, the skyscale rules. The griffon is sort of the dragster of the air, the skyscale is more the Jeep. Either will likely cost you a similar amount of gold by the time you're done. The series of collections for the griffon is FAR easier and less time intensive. If you want to go for the skyscale, start collecting the mats for the saddle at the start. Having both at this point...much as I love the griffon, the skyscale edges it out just barely. And seriously Aurene, a Wyvern?!?!

Griffon will help you get Skyscale as you scramble around Dragonfall for eggs and sick skyscales collections. Additionally, Griffon will also make the Dragonfall Meta easier so you can get all the bosses after Kralk. Doing the meta is a part of the process to get skyscale since it helps you get the 250 currency of that map.

The skyscale is quite useful, dont listen to the naysayers whom doesnt know how to use it. The dash is essential to master.The skyscale excels in maps with considerable verticality like the hot maps, where youd be forced to swap to the springer or jump tediously on foot. The skyscale reaches many locations the griffon simply cant reach on its own. Furthermore I find the skyscale far more precise than the springer in getting upwards, more control.The hover function is also extremely useful for settling down on small ledges where vistas often is parked, where the griffon easilly misses the mark.

The griffons niche is super fast flying when you have a place to dive from, as well going down safely.

They are both a lot of fun for me and I find both incredibly useful. Either one is a good choice.

If I had to do it all over again and I didn't care about chronological order, I'd get the Skyscale first. That's I think the Dragon will ultimately make it easier to get the Griffon, compared to how much easier the Griffon is to get the Skyscale. In both cases, I'm presuming that the player max out the masteries quickly and spend some time learning how to make the most of the mount.

The skyscale is useful for climbing (and both mount acquisitions require that) and both have flight capabilities. The real difference is that the Skyscale allows you more flexibility as you move around. Since you'll spend some time orienting yourself to go this way or that (whether following the hints or a guide), the ability to hover while "taking out" your map is handy.

@XYLO.7031 said:Griffon will help you get Skyscale as you scramble around Dragonfall for eggs and sick skyscales collections. Additionally, Griffon will also make the Dragonfall Meta easier so you can get all the bosses after Kralk. Doing the meta is a part of the process to get skyscale since it helps you get the 250 currency of that map.Works the other way around, too. The Skyscale will help you immensely in getting to those hidden griffon eggs you need to collect to get the griffon, something that can be pretty frustrating with just the base mounts. Personally I do get a lot more use out of the Skyscale than the Griffon, so I'm seriously considering prioritizing the Skyscale over the Griffon for my alt account. The Griffon collections are however considerably shorter than the Skyscale journey if you don't have to gather the gold in the process.

@XYLO.7031 said:Griffon will help you get Skyscale as you scramble around Dragonfall for eggs and sick skyscales collections. Additionally, Griffon will also make the Dragonfall Meta easier so you can get all the bosses after Kralk. Doing the meta is a part of the process to get skyscale since it helps you get the 250 currency of that map.

I borrowed skyscales that are around the map, which made those collections very easy. You really don't need the griffon.

OP, it really depends. There are pros and cons to both. The griffom is only faster, if you already have somewhere high to fly off of. As people say, Its falling with style. It also takes a good bit of practice to use efficiently and its not precise.

The skyscale is a helicopter. It hovers, which can keep it out of enemy range. It can go quite high with the wall launch mastery and the LW mastery that recharhes mount skills. I find it more useful than the springer alot of times. Its slower but tbh, I don't find it too slow.You do need All 6 LS4 maps.And the grind is during the map currencies, where you have to get 250 of each. Most people did not find this too bad, just a bit boring. And make sure to start charging your quartz every day. You need a total of 22 or 24.

Do keep in mind the skyscale is probably easier right now, while mesmers are still offering ports for the jumping puzzles part of the collections.

Griffon you can complete within a day or two at the most, (so long as you have the gold & have completed PoF storyline). Skyscale will take a minimum of (10 days) & is pretty much all of the previous mount collections combined into one (if not more). Griffon is highly recommended first if your planning on going for the Skyscale as others have said it will greatly help complete the achievements for Skyscale. Without one.... good luck.

depends yeah but its more likely you will have fun with the griffon and pull off cool shit with it rather then the sykscale. I'd say depending on the collections you need to fulfill griffon is worth more getting, since the skyscale despite being still good, pale in comparison to his collection. the griffon one can be challenge, the skyscale is just tedious, specially since it for some stupid reason also required for the new legendary trinket. (WHYYY)