Why Thief can't get GS

Jack Redline.5379

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:Here's one way to implement a GS for Thief.

Base weapon skills will be shurikens just like what @Ghostt.1293 suggested.Then whenever the Theif gains a stolen item, he uses that stolen item to empower the GS.Once the stolen item is used, all 5 weapon skills will flip to GS skills and give the Thief 5 special initiatives.Each GS weapon skill will cost 1 special inititive. Then the skill bar goes back to shurikens once all the special initiative were spent.The damage of the GS weapon skills will be balanced comparable to the damage output of DE at full M7 stacks.Different stolen skill will grant different effects to the GS skills.

This way, traits like Improv will be a good competition against Exec for damage output.

Just a thought.

This would prevent the E-spec to function with other Weapons though, unless after using the stolen skills they'd flip to either their core weapon skills or special versions of them.

There will be no flipping with other non-GS weapons. The flipping mechanic will be exclusive to GS. However, using stolen skills with other weapons will just be a boring buff just like M7. The GS weapon skills need to be unique and should not be overshadowed by S/D or D/P. S/D and D/P will not gain much from this E-spec.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Thief shouldn't get great sword because they have two elite spec two handed weapons, not for any balance reasons. Plus single handed weapons are just more interesting on thief by default with their dual wield third skill gimmick.

The reason why we're trying to get 2h weapons knocked out of the way is because anet designing dual skills would likely turn into a mess.

@Zacchary.6183 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Thief shouldn't get great sword because they have two elite spec two handed weapons, not for any balance reasons. Plus single handed weapons are just more interesting on thief by default with their dual wield third skill gimmick.

The reason why we're trying to get 2h weapons knocked out of the way is because anet designing dual skills would likely turn into a mess.

They did fine with Weaver so I can't say I agree.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:

They did fine with Weaver so I can't say I agree.

Fair point.

Thief is not getting a GS because there's nothing stealthy, concealable or subtle about a huge frigging sword.Non-thrown ranged weapons can be used from out of sight and behind cover which makes them that, and that gives Rifle a sense of stealth and subtlety. But getting into an opponents face with a 2h sword is not.Thief is not a weaponsmaster sort of profession, it is a dirty fighting and tricks sort of profession, and in a fair fight a rogue should lose to a trained soldier/fighter in most cases. I mean that in a class flavor way, not regarding how the game mechanics handle it.Same goes for Hammer.

Axe and Mace though. I wouldn't put these in the same camp.A tomahawk, for example, is an easily concealed weapon.I could have a good rant about how this game does maces completely wrong but I'll keep it short.In reality a mace is easily the least defensive weapon you can find, because it has no cross sections of any kind to deflect attacks or the reach a 2h weapon allows you, but for some reason the devs thought it a good idea to make maces mainly a defensive weapon? If any of the main hands should be defensive, it should be sword. Decent reach for a 1-handed weapon and a crossguard to deflect/parry/block attacks.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:Thief is not getting a GS because there's nothing stealthy, concealable or subtle about a huge frigging sword.

There is nothing stealthy, concealable or subtle about Staff either and yet Thief got it.

Let me remind you off Gandalf in LotR when he passed guards with only staff and then screweed up possesed Theoden :P

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:Thief is not getting a GS because there's nothing stealthy, concealable or subtle about a huge frigging sword.

There is nothing stealthy, concealable or subtle about Staff either and yet Thief got it.

It's a good point that ESpecs can change the basic premise of a class. Daredevil turns your standard variety stealthy thief into an acrobatic fighter.But as @Jack Redline.5379 said, you can conceal a staff in plain sight. Same goes for sword. If you consider historical context, during some eras walking around public without a sword/dagger marked you as someone who couldn't afford one and as someone who can't stand up for themselves. During such an era where lawlessness was more common, leaving that impression on people could be fatal. The norm was to carry around a sword, a dagger or a walking staff, unlike today.

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

Let me remind you off Gandalf in LotR when he passed guards with only staff and then screweed up possesed Theoden :P

Saved possessed Theoden you mean!Besides, the Guards very much noticed the staff and very much wanted him to leave it! But sir McKellen managed to pull of an old guy that's pretending to be an old guy so well they fell for it

@Alatar.7364 said:

Saved possessed Theoden you mean!Besides, the Guards very much noticed the staff and very much wanted him to leave it! But sir McKellen managed to pull of an old guy that's pretending to be an old guy so well they fell for it

pretending for sake of masking hoe dangerous of a weapon his staff isERGOmaskibg it as a helping tool for old man he ''was''

@Zacchary.6183 said:

That's... just wrong.

• Confused 1

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:... Whenever I see topics like these, it makes me wonder if peeps realize by now that any weapon can be coded to do anything, and by no means even has to make sense.

Shotgun-chucks is obviously the next implementation.

Yeah, balogna, just look at..../looks at mesmer greatswordnevermind youre right. :pensive:

Arcane trickster with scepter would be awesome. Use Magic Device (UMD) as a skill type for the new elite.