Removing Language Restrictions for EU World Linking

@nonuothree.4937 said:So you are saying that at the moment I can play on any server I like, European or North American. And in the future I can also play on any server I like. So what do they mean by removing language restrictions? You can't both be right, either there are restrictions or there are not.You are getting hung up on the language restriction part and is missing the full meaning and core functionality change:

Removing Language Restrictions for EU World Linking.

There is no current language restriction on individual servers and yes you can play on any server you want today and in the future (assuming its not full).

@"nonuothree.4937" said:So you are saying that at the moment I can play on any server I like, European or North American. And in the future I can also play on any server I like.

Yes. For example I live in California (native English speaker) but played on Kodash a few times in the past.

So what do they mean by removing language restrictions? You can't both be right, either there are restrictions or there are not.

As the title of this topic says, "Restrictions for EU World Linking". There were never any restrictions for who can play on which servers. They're talking about restrictions in how they link worlds together. When server linking was implemented, Anet would link German language servers only to German language servers. They are removing that restriction.

@DamiVlad.2689 said:at the end of this month, we can have already like Kodash linked with Gunnar's Hold or is it for even laterWas that not answered in the original post?@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:As we prepare for world restructuring in World vs. World, we’ll be removing language restrictions in the upcoming EU world links.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@DamiVlad.2689 said:at the end of this month, we can have already like Kodash linked with Gunnar's Hold or is it for even laterWas that not answered in the original post?@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:As we prepare for world restructuring in World vs. World, we’ll be removing language restrictions in
the upcoming EU world links

It is still ambiguous, the relink of August is also a upcoming link :) But I saw elsewhere they confirmed that it will be for the relink in 2 weeks

I can see why it's being done; the 3 unlinked German servers regularly filling the bottom tier, the odd number of French & German servers and Baruch being the only Spanish one. It's either this or the removal of some servers which would be a sore point for many. I think this is the only interim option until Alliances roll out. Alliances will ofc mean the end of all servers in WvW.

I don't have any language skills but I have scouted on BB and one of the French servers. It wasn't too hard to learn enough names and terms to call out threats or to say things were fine. Commanding when you don't speak the same language as half the map won't be so easy though.

If anyone gets linked with Baruch, will they be wondering where all those Mexican Nightcappers got to? Probably not.

edit for typos

@escoces.4870 said:I can see why it's being done; the 3 unlinked German servers regularly filling the bottom tier, the odd number of French & German servers and Baruch being the only Spanish one. It's either this or the removal of some servers which would be a sore point for many. I think this is the only interim option until Alliances roll out. Alliances will ofc mean the end of all servers in WvW.

I don't have any language skills but I have scouted on BB and one of the French servers. It wasn't too hard to learn enough names and terms to call out threats or to say things were fine. Commanding when you don't speak the same language as half the map won't be so easy though.

If anyone gets linked with Baruch, will they be wondering where all those Mexican Nightcappers got to? Probably not.

edit for typos

As an American, it has been a rough ride since the start of my EU playing experience. That being said, I have spent a great deal of time on German servers (usually bc they lacked a NA primetime lead for obvious reasons). Without too much experience in German, it was a bit difficult communicating, but it didn't stop me or my guild (also mostly English speaking Americans, British, and Canadians) from working with our servers.

I think the issue that actually stems from language based servers, is not actually the language, but rather the culture. Breaking the barrier between international and national servers most likely will result in niche groups clinging to each other.

While I have the thought here, I think with prepping for the Restructuring that most players are actually more scared of having to play alone and losing their communities/cliques. And of course, that is why they won't support the restructuring or something that leads to it, such as opened linking.

Edit: I quoted bc I really like the thought that was provided

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:I want to make a specific statement about the part of this discussion where players' feedback address countries: this change is not about the countries, it's about the language and the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking.Your "specific statement" then proceeded to say nothing about the second issue; "the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking." Meanwhile, according to what others have seen elsewhere, this change actually WILL be used during the next World Linking.

So, can we please get clear indication from an ArenaNet representative in THIS thread about whether or not this change will take effect in 8 days?

@kafka.1657 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:I want to make a specific statement about the part of this discussion where players' feedback address countries: this change is not about the countries, it's about the language and the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking.Your "specific statement" then proceeded to say nothing about the second issue; "the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking." Meanwhile, according to what others have seen elsewhere, this change actually WILL be used during the next World Linking."...the language ... won't be used for the next world linking."

I think ANet could have rephrased their statements. They could have said more simply: "the next linkage won't use language as a criterion; any EU world can be matched with any other, just as it's done in the NA region."

It's technically correct that this is a "language restriction" and it's also true that there are lots of ways that people interpret that phrase, especially because it uses the word "restriction." Players have never been "restricted" in their choice of world; this is entirely a restriction that ANet imposed on its own algorithm. So their choice of words reflects their (ahem) world view, while comments in this thread reflect our perspective as players rather than as the wizard behind the curtain.

• ArenaNet Staff

@kafka.1657 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:I want to make a specific statement about the part of this discussion where players' feedback address countries: this change is not about the countries, it's about the language and the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking.Your "specific statement" then proceeded to say nothing about the second issue; "the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking." Meanwhile, according to what others have seen elsewhere, this change actually WILL be used during the next World Linking.

My statement was specific to this feedback thread on the Guild Wars 2 forums, where I've started to see players talk about things that shouldn't be part of the discussion. We all use shortcut by saying French, German and Spanish servers, while we mean French-speaking (that includes players from Canada, France, French territories, etc.), German-speaking and Spanish-speaking (that includes Spain, but also players in North and South America). My statement was meant to re-align expectations about this very discussion on the forums, where racism and xenophobia have no place.

So, can we please get clear indication from an ArenaNet representative in THIS thread about whether or not this change will take effect in 8 days?

That is correct.

@"DeathPanel.8362" said:This is definitely going to backfire spectacularly. Communications is important for wvw and if you put people that can’t understand each other together you’re not going to get an effective team. Instead of making things “fairer” you’ll make it more frustrating and less effective.

In in NA and not EU, but I can offer at least some feedback on this. A while back my server received a transfer from a Mandarin speaking WvW guild, playing in late OCX / mid-morning NA time. The commander would encourage players to join their TS channel, where most of them were conversing with each other in Mandarin. Seems like a problem at first, but the commander used squad markers to while driving, and was able to speak with limited English to give out instructions. "Move to mark" "Follow". "Back". One of this guild lieutenants was more fluent in English, but for the most part, didn't need to really speak up.

As pugmanders go, I found it to be just fine. Nowhere near as good as a dedicated guild, and I'm sure had we all been speaking the same language things could have been better, but I still enjoyed myself, and we were successful in our goals.

YMMV obv, but there is no guarantee that it will backfire. Just sharing my experience.

@escoces.4870 said:I can see why it's being done; the 3 unlinked German servers regularly filling the bottom tier, the odd number of French & German servers and Baruch being the only Spanish one. It's either this or the removal of some servers which would be a sore point for many. I think this is the only interim option until Alliances roll out. Alliances will ofc mean the end of all servers in WvW.

Some host servers will still suffer, especially being considered full though.If they do get linked to a national server, most players or guilds may not move there at all,. That's unless it's really cheap, like some international servers ATM, to the link server they want to transfer to, as the host server is stuck at 'Full' status.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I think ANet could have rephrased their statements. They could have said more simply: "the next linkage won't use language as a criterion; any EU world can be matched with any other, just as it's done in the NA region."The subject of Stephane's sentence was "the change" and technically "it" referred to the subject. Therefore, "it won't be used during the next World Linking" should mean that the change won't be used. Nonetheless, your explanation has clarified the matter. Thanks. :)

Somewhat ironic that a language-usage issue should crop up in this of all threads. ;)

not sure how this is going to work. is there any information on how world linking is going to work?I guess if server is opened up... players can narrow down to guild based eg. French speaking guild, Spanish speaking guild etc Portuguese guild etc... as far as i know in wvw, it is the commander that players are following right. there are also the common commander that everyone just jump in to play with.

@Talindra.4958 said:not sure how this is going to work. is there any information on how world linking is going to work?I guess if server is opened up... players can narrow down to guild based eg. French speaking guild, Spanish speaking guild etc Portuguese guild etc... as far as i know in wvw, it is the commander that players are following right. there are also the common commander that everyone just jump in to play with.

Uhm... It's going to work exactly as it does now?

We have many foreign speaking language guilds and commanders on the non language specific servers.

It'll just be a little more if you are on an international server getting linked to a national server or a little less if you are on a national server getting linked to an international server.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Talindra.4958 said:not sure how this is going to work. is there any information on how world linking is going to work?

Sorry, what I mean was are they going to rename server ? join servers up or keep existing servers but remove tag eg (Fr) (DE) etc..

If servers name remain the same even without the tag players already have a set mind that server is FR, Sp etc you get what i mean? :pI feel removing language specific server is actually good i wont called it restriction because i can still join any server i like without speacking specific language required and i still believe i can make friends there if i tried.. but for how far i can go im not sure... There are many ways a commander or guild can lead a squad that only speak a certain language without the current dedicated language server so they will survive for sure :).

@Talindra.4958 said:

@Talindra.4958 said:not sure how this is going to work. is there any information on how world linking is going to work?

Sorry, what I mean was are they going to rename server ? join servers up or keep existing servers but remove tag eg (Fr) (DE) etc..

Servers stay the same they are now. They are simply removing the restrictions in the linking process. Where up to now a (DE) world could only be linked to another (DE) world, starting next week they can be linked to any EU world of the appropriate size.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

Servers stay the same they are now. They are simply removing the restrictions in the linking process. Where up to now a (DE) world could only be linked to another (DE) world, starting next week they can be linked to any EU world of the appropriate size.

thanks for explaining.. i think its cool ..

@"kafka.1657" said:The subject of Stephane's sentence was "the change" and technically "it" referred to the subject. Therefore, "it won't be used during the next World Linking" should mean that the change won't be used. Nonetheless, your explanation has clarified the matter. Thanks. :)

Somewhat ironic that a language-usage issue should crop up in this of all threads. ;)

I understand Stephane's sentence like: "..., it's about the language and the fact that it (=the language) won't be used during the next World Linking"

@"Rhiannon.1726" said:I understand Stephane's sentence like: "..., it's about the language and the fact that it (=the language) won't be used during the next World Linking"In English, "...the language won't be used during the next World Linking" doesn't really make much sense. :/

@kafka.1657 said:

@"Rhiannon.1726" said:I understand Stephane's sentence like: "..., it's about the language and the fact that it (=the language) won't be used during the next World Linking"In English,
"...the language won't be used during the next World Linking"
doesn't really make much sense. :/It makes perfect sense in the context,
"... the language [preference of the worlds] wont be used during the next world linking"
. Arguing the structure of sentences is pointless.