Battle in Tarir: Why has the burn phase for South gate been changed?

Hello everyone, first of all I'm sorry if I'm digging out an old topic here, but I couldn't find any information about this neither on the old forums nor here.

So as some of you might have noticed, some time ago in summer the length of the burn phase at south Tarir has been extended, thus allowing people at south to deal a lot more damage during the phase. Now my simple question is: Why? I'm really curious, as I've tried to think of reasons for this sudden change. The meta had been fine the way it was for the past 2 years (disregarding the whole multiloot drama), so this sudden change feels sort of.. random? Has there been any information regarding this change?

My only two guesses so far have been:1) South was considered "too hard". I don't believe this though, since as I've said the meta has been fine for a long while, and every gate has already been responsible for failed events, not only south.2) Are there expected to be fewer people on the meta map, so that the meta itself has to be made easier? But again, I can't believe this reason either since there are always a bunch of maps up in LFG, and with that logic each gate (apart from east perhaps) would have to get nerfed. On top of that the event scales with players, so I've been in successful maps that had perhaps 5 people per gate.

I know it's been a while this has been implemented, but everytime I return to Tarir I ask myself this question, and wonder if anyone has any answers.

I'd assume its because South is the most difficult / time-consuming of all 4 paths to do. You're limited by the number of pull / knockback powers players have (other paths give players bundle skills which means every player is equal, not build-dependent) and often end up with people missing their skills because someone else hits it away, you have the mobs wrapping the bombs in vines (causing you to waste those CC skills) or just blowing the bomb up outright. Plus, the bomb has a huge radius and the people pushing / pulling the bomb often get downed by it, especially if you're on the last bomb needed and everyone clusters around the Octovine to get ready to start attacking it.

With equal numbers of players, South almost always takes the longest out of all 4 paths unless its stacked with highly coordinated players with a ton of CC. So in exchange they extended the vulnerability time so that it may take longer to complete the bomb pushing phase, but you have more time during the damage phase, and gave a bit more time to get everyone who gets downed by the bomb itself back on their feet.

@Electro.4173 said:I'd assume its because South is the most difficult / time-consuming of all 4 paths to do. You're limited by the number of pull / knockback powers players have (other paths give players bundle skills which means every player is equal, not build-dependent) and often end up with people missing their skills because someone else hits it away, you have the mobs wrapping the bombs in vines (causing you to waste those CC skills) or just blowing the bomb up outright. Plus, the bomb has a huge radius and the people pushing / pulling the bomb often get downed by it, especially if you're on the last bomb needed and everyone clusters around the Octovine to get ready to start attacking it.

With equal numbers of players, South almost always takes the longest out of all 4 paths unless its stacked with highly coordinated players with a ton of CC. So in exchange they extended the vulnerability time so that it may take longer to complete the bomb pushing phase, but you have more time during the damage phase, and gave a bit more time to get everyone who gets downed by the bomb itself back on their feet.

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter! I'm still surprised this change would happen so seemingly out of nowhere after almost two years, but it does make sense. Thanks again :)

Anyone who has done all four sides will instantly realize, that South is from all of the four sides the most difficult one, because the enemies there are the most annoying in numbers, the progress to get the side to become damageable, takes the most longest time, because only people with knockback skills can actually help bringing the bombs towards the vine, so that it becomes vulnerable.

The increase in the burn phase would be absolutely not needed, if ANet basically woudl redesign just the South Side so, that more players are able to help out there actually. If not only peopel with knockback skills, but also all those with general Stun Skills could help out there to move the Bomb forwards, then there woudl be no need at all to increase the burn phase, when in fact people at sould could get the bombs quicker to the vine. Maybe also slightly reduce as little compensation the range of how far you bring the bomb forward)On all organized Tarir Battles I have done successfully and lead as Mentor (and I belonged when Hot released among the peopel which made Tarir as first successful by coordinating East to whichever side needs help to ensure that all sides kil lit simoutanously, cause i had such a feeling from begin on, that we needed to do that, cause tarir isn't the first tiem, whee we had to do so, coming from known Triple Trouble experience before), it was always South in like felt 80% of all cases, which were the slowest side ending the event successfuly with everyone having to wait on South, that they give the final last green light command to all to initiate the last burn phase (a little pun i used also at my very first successful tarir battle hehe to burn down the vines literally, to describe players them oment of pushing out everythign they got to deal most possible damage in shrot time when everyone was basicalyl still new to this event and tons of peopel still asked in map chat constantly every time what to do, when and where)

But maybe its eventually also just only a little change based on the new Elite Specs from PoF, but I doubt that.To me it makes just more sense, to change Souths duration of the burn phase, so that chances are lower in this meta event, that peopel have to wait mostly all the time several minutes for south, until finally all four sides are ready to give the octovine its last burning blow to turn it into ash. It just will make this event run in the end smoother and will let it end quicker, without havign to stand around doing nothign for soem minutes on 3 of its four sides ^^

@Orpheal.8263 said:Anyone who has done all four sides will instantly realize, that South is from all of the four sides the most difficult one, because the enemies there are the most annoying in numbers, the progress to get the side to become damageable, takes the most longest time, because only people with knockback skills can actually help bringing the bombs towards the vine, so that it becomes vulnerable.

The increase in the burn phase would be absolutely not needed, if ANet basically woudl redesign just the South Side so, that more players are able to help out there actually. If not only peopel with knockback skills, but also all those with general Stun Skills could help out there to move the Bomb forwards, then there woudl be no need at all to increase the burn phase, when in fact people at sould could get the bombs quicker to the vine. Maybe also slightly reduce as little compensation the range of how far you bring the bomb forward)On all organized Tarir Battles I have done successfully and lead as Mentor (and I belonged when Hot released among the peopel which made Tarir as first successful by coordinating East to whichever side needs help to ensure that all sides kil lit simoutanously, cause i had such a feeling from begin on, that we needed to do that, cause tarir isn't the first tiem, whee we had to do so, coming from known Triple Trouble experience before), it was always South in like felt 80% of all cases, which were the slowest side ending the event successfuly with everyone having to wait on South, that they give the final last green light command to all to initiate the last burn phase (a little pun i used also at my very first successful tarir battle hehe to burn down the vines literally, to describe players them oment of pushing out everythign they got to deal most possible damage in shrot time when everyone was basicalyl still new to this event and tons of peopel still asked in map chat constantly every time what to do, when and where)

But maybe its eventually also just only a little change based on the new Elite Specs from PoF, but I doubt that.To me it makes just more sense, to change Souths duration of the burn phase, so that chances are lower in this meta event, that peopel have to wait mostly all the time several minutes for south, until finally all four sides are ready to give the octovine its last burning blow to turn it into ash. It just will make this event run in the end smoother and will let it end quicker, without havign to stand around doing nothign for soem minutes on 3 of its four sides ^^

Everyone having to wait for south is actually a good point that you're bringing up! The issue I see now is that everyone keeps having to wait for west actually, now that south is pretty much on par with east in speed (at least from my experience). But well - we can't have everything. Thank you as well for your input on the matter! :)

Archived