What's your rig like?

I'm looking to build a new pc and am specifically interested in what runs gw2 smoothly with max settings and most importantly, crash free..

Please let me know your rig stats say if you have an enjoyable and reliable gw2 experience!

Stats should include: cpu - make/model, ram - type/amount, cooling - type, gfx card, hdisk type. Thats all we really need to know! thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power source EVGA 750W G2 SuperNOVA 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 220-G2-0750-XRWaterCooler Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 120MM - CW-9060024-WWSSD Samsung 850 EVO 2.5´ 500GB SATA III - MZ-75E500B/AMProcessor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Refresh LGA 1150 BX80646I747902x Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 BlackVideo Card VGA MSI GeForce GTX 980 GAMING 4G Twin Frozr V 4GB DDR5 256 bit PCI-Express 3.0 912-V317-011Motherboard ASUS Micro ATX for Intel LGA 1150 Z97M-PLUS/BR, w/ CrossFireX, socket M.2Case Thermaltake ATX Urban S31 Black - VP700M1W2NHD Seagate SATA III Barracuda 7200 1TB ST1000DM003HD Samsung SATA 2 de 500.0GB 7200 RPM HD502HJ/SRA

I just have to lower character limits during World Bosses or any events that have a lot of people. But besides that, it's a solid 60-90 fps.

My PC (DESKTOP) is 6 yrs old, it's an i7 3930K hex core. (3.2 base 3,8 turbo, OC at 4.1) with an SATA 3 SSD RAID Stripe (3x 500Gb SSD's) for gamefiles and OS and 2 old GPU's: Nvidia GTX 780's in SLi. I run 2 1980*1200 60Hz screens, 1 for gaming, 1 for other stuff. it has 32 Gb of memory, and no swapfile.

It runs gw2 okay, windowed: say 45-60+ FPS in most maps in vanilla, (half) a dozen or so lower in HoT or PoF and about 30-45 FPS in LA at the bank.. That's wth most settings maxed except for the character model limit which is limited to medium or high depending on what I'm playing. Ambient temps are high, my PC is stationed in the attic and it tends to get hot there say 25-30 Celsius in the summer when not playing, when playing this will rise a bit 3-5 Celsius. In winter I do not need any heating.Power use is significant. Waste heat as well. Better (read: newer) GPU solutions could have cured this.

I get no crashes unless It's been on for a couple of weeks on end, in some cases I run out of memory mostly due to an enormous amount of open webpages and apps, this mostly occurs cause I get called away often and leave it running... I tend to be very strict with saving and closing apps when I need to do heavy calculations so it mostly happens during holidays.

I'm considering buying a new PC in the next year (4-16 months) or so.I've seen some figures the new (high end) ryzen 7 and 9 3000 CPU's are about 4 times the max speed of this one. A RTX 2080 Ti will be about 4 times the speed of 1 GTX 780.... I'm wondering If I want 1 4K screen or 2 2,5K screens. Most of my peripheral gear (screens, mouse, keyboard) has been used for well over a decade...

If I really go for it I'm still wondering if I buy a ThreadRipper or a Ryzen 9. I'll likely buy 64 Gb, maybe 128Gb of memory for it. but this is because I use it for work as well, so for me it's a mandatory choice. Having acces to PCI-E v 4.0 would be advantageous for me for required fast storage solutions, but I can imagine people not considering this.

I think most people would suggest:

• A high clockspeed would be useful (faster framerate in gw2), consider OC-ing your CPU....
  • A high IPC (instructions per clock) would be useful (faster frames in gw2) (new Ryzen 3000, or maybe high end 9th gen i7 or i9's)
  • A decent amount of RAM as GW2_64bit uses over 4 Gb's alone with ease. 16Gb is probably the worthwhile amount
  • A decent SSD solution preferably M.2 and non SATA. for good throughput to reduce loading times in gw2.

Not so relevant for gw2:

• Core count (GW2 only uses 3-4 cores at best, with the main things only using 1 maybe 2 cores) So buying an 8 or 16 core CPU might be overkill for gw2
  • High end GPU (No need to buy the be-all-and-end-all-GPU for gw2... Any decent GPU will do for gw2 as it's heavily CPU bound still.)

BUT:

• A decent core count would secure the PC's usefulness for the future (not really relevant for GW2 though). My old PC has 6 cores 12 threads and at times I find myself wanting more power. I'll likely see if I can find a decent 16 Core, though I might reconsider this for myself, for gamers I think 8 cores are a wise starting point nowadays.
  • A decent GPU for your screensize (no need for a 2080 Ti with a 1080p screen, but for 4K.... you could consider it) will be usefull on a lot of other use cases.

All in all it mostly depends on what you want to buy, can afford, price/performance and the usecase. If you need to study or travel you'd likely need to get a mobile solution. A lot of things to consider. I usually buy a High End PC and use it for 5-6 years then save up in the time for a new one. I do not care for upgradability as such.

@"PaxTheGreatOne.9472" said:My PC (DESKTOP) is 6 yrs old, it's an i7 3930K hex core. (3.2 base 3,8 turbo, OC at 4.1) with anAll in all it mostly depends on what you want to buy, can afford, price/performance and the usecase. If you need to study or travel you'd likely need to get a mobile solution. A lot of things to consider. I usually buy a High End PC and use it for 5-6 years then save up in the time for a new one. I do not care for upgradability as such.

Thanks for such a detailed explaination!

Based on your feedback, would something like this build:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-16gb-ddr4-6gb-evga-gtx-1660-500gb-2tb-win-10

be a good compromise between gw2 performance/price and somewhat useful for future MMOs? my budget is £1000-2000 but obviously I'd rather spend closer to 1000!

Got a new rig a few weeks back:

Power Supply: Rosewill Glacier 700WCPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 6 core 3.7 ghz / 4.6 ghz OCGPU: Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5Ram: 32GB DDR 4 3200Drive: 1TB SSD

And I consider this a budget model. I picked the components mostly based on the On Sale price. I'm running on high settings for the most parts, and am getting anywhere from 95-140 FPS. In the middle of a zerg fight in WvW, I'm still above 30 FPS, which is all I was looking for.

My struggle was building a comp to play other games that get released, but would also play GW2 well. For that, I looked for the CPU with the fastest GHZ speed in my price range. I could have moved up to an i7 for a few bucks more, but had a slower speed, which would be better for any other game on the market, but not so much for GW2.

The biggest BIGGEST QoL change for me was the SSD. Seriously, don't even bother with a conventional HDD unless you get it as a secondary storage drive for media and such. Booting from and playing GW2 on an SSD is like night and day. 6 seconds to boot up? No more than 3 seconds to load into LA or Mistlock Sanctuary? Yeah!

Wait for Ryzen 3000 and wait for benchmark. The cost performance, if demo presentation is true, should be better than intel while having on par performance.

Gw2 need a really fast (single core) cpu, it doesn't need super good gpu but still need a decent one to push the cpu to its limit. I believe gtx 1060 is the minimum for that.

@Calvsie.3675 said:Dying... I really need to upgrade my potato.

I hear ya. I was running a 8 core 3.2 ghz with 8 gigs of DDR3 and a GTX 960 4gb. Good enough to play Fallout 4 in Ultra settings, but standing in the desert of Crystal Oasis, I was lucky to hit 25fps. I found things got worse and worse as ANET added more stuff via patches, until I finally I opted to use that Dx12 wrapper. Saw a huge improvement in min FPS, but had so many other issues with load times and graphic glitches. I'm glad to finally be behind that.

Also Borderlands 3 is coming in September....so also had to upgrade for that :+1:

My setup:ASUS 17.5" Gaming Laptop (GL703VD )Intel i7-7700HQ CPU16GB RAMGeForce GTX 1050 4GB VideoCrucial 1TB SSDAlso use a Logitech G600 and Razar Tartarus v2

I get around 50fps on the old maps, low 40's on the new maps, 25-30 during meta's (with character model and limit set to low)

What I have:

• SilverStone Technology SST-SX500-G 500W SFX Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold
  • Noctua NH-L12S 70mm Low-Profile CPU Cooler with Quiet 120mm PWM Fan
  • Intel Core i5-8600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.3 GHz unlocked LGA 1151 300 Series 95W
  • GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel LGA1151/ Z370/ Mini-ITX/ 2xM.2/ 2xLAN/ Onboard Wi-Fi/ HDMI 2.0a/ PCIe Bifurcation/ USB3.1 Gen1 Type-C/ 2x2 11ac Wireless/ RGB Fusion/ Smart Fan 5/ DP/ Motherboard)
  • MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDRR5 256-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 SLI Single Fan VR Ready Graphics Card (GTX 1070 TI AERO 8G)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black
  • WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280
  • ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 - Fluid Dynamic Bearing Case Fan, 120mm PWM Speed Control
  • Silverstone Computer Case with Mesh Front Panel,Black

With the game at max settings, I get about 20 FPS in a full zerg at something like Shaman and rarely dip below 60 anywhere else. With model quantity turned down, I get around 40 or so FPS at Shaman but I'm just guessing from memory. The entire PC is about the size of a toaster which just sits on my bookshelf connected to my TV.

Mine is low end but I still manage playable frame rates even during world bosses and WvW zergs (surprisingly) at 1080p medium/high settings. I was building in a super tight budget.Kurohitoshiko 550w PSURyzen 3 2200g w/ stock coolerTeam Vulcan 8gb 3000mhz ramAMD rx560Msi B450 pro m2 motherboard480gb ssd

I live in Japan where they price of PC parts are horrendous but I am happy with my setup as I don’t look for 100+ FPS and I only have a 60hz monitor :)

That runs it fine at medium/high setting so maybe that can give you some idea for parts. For what I have read, Some people have amazing rigs that still can’t run the game smoothly at max settings.

I9-900K (OC 5GHZ)32 GB 3600 Ram2080 GTXSuper fast 2 TB NVME hard drives

Gains were not nearly as noticeable going from my 6 year old system to this one. I think the lack of Multithread/Core support really hurts this title. I am tempted to try the DX11 or DX12 add-on and see what happens. I am lucky to get 144FPS in the Open World. Have to do low Shadows. High population event's really hurt performance even with detail/amount of people on low. Anything under 60 frames is extremely noticeable to me. 140 is my sweet spot.

I am running an Asus ROG Strix. 16gb ram vers.

It can run FFXV Benchmark on High for 2 hours straight while still being able to open and browse multiple internet tabs.

It has absolutely no problem running GW2, it's an incredibly overpowered prebuilt rig that has lots of space for upgrades.

I got mine 2nd Hand for $1000 including keyboard and mouse. It's only about a year old. When I bought it, it was still being sold in stores.

Until last year I was playing on a Vista computer bought whichever year Vista came out and never upgraded. I had to have graphics on lowest of the low, but could still play wvw and meta events.

That said the game is certainly prettier now. :)

@"crepuscular.9047" said:almost 2 years old now...

YattWPo.jpg

• Intel i7 8700K, OC @ 5GHz
  • ASUS Prime Z370-A
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 (I have like 100+ chrome tabs open for work references)
  • GIGABYTE AORUS GTX1080Ti Xtreme
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

omg ? that is one sick rig! I love the inside out case!

ahow off! ??

@"zionophir.6845" said:i've noticed that people with AMD processors and NVIDIA GPU PCs encounter FPS problems.

Probably because AMD is in the GPU business too. AMD or Maybe NVIDIA hardware is "fighting" the other "internally".

Is this really a thing? Can anyone else varify this as the setup I was looking at is ryzen cpu + nvisia gfx...