What's your rig like?

@bbop.9706 said:

@"zionophir.6845" said:i've noticed that people with AMD processors and NVIDIA GPU PCs encounter FPS problems.

Probably because AMD is in the GPU business too. AMD or Maybe NVIDIA hardware is "fighting" the other "internally".

Is this really a thing? Can anyone else varify this as the setup I was looking at is ryzen cpu + nvisia gfx...

look at bugs section or technical support section.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"crepuscular.9047" said:almost 2 years old now...

YattWPo.jpg

• Intel i7 8700K, OC @ 5GHz
  • ASUS Prime Z370-A
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 (I have like 100+ chrome tabs open for work references)
  • GIGABYTE AORUS GTX1080Ti Xtreme
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

2 years old? it's waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of its time looks like..

@bbop.9706 said:

@"zionophir.6845" said:i've noticed that people with AMD processors and NVIDIA GPU PCs encounter FPS problems.

Probably because AMD is in the GPU business too. AMD or Maybe NVIDIA hardware is "fighting" the other "internally".

Is this really a thing? Can anyone else varify this as the setup I was looking at is ryzen cpu + nvisia gfx...

AMD users that complain FPS issue are using the old gen cpuThe amd old gen cpus are particularly bad when come to IPC performance

Not applicable to Ryzen 2000 and upcoming Ryzen 3000Amd has been back in the game for CPU for awhile now, beating intel in sales

@bbop.9706 said:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/46302/fps-capped-problem

or

just search keyword "ryzen fps"

My system is a couple years old by now, but I usually don't have a problem hitting 60 FPS. I cap it at 30 for most of the stuff I do however, as I really dislike FPS jumping up and down depending on what's happening in a meta or something. Consistency is all that matters to me.

Running W10.AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3 .20 GHzRadeon RX 480 8GB24GB RAMOn an Asus Prime B350 Plus Motherboard

Disabling name tags is one of the best things to do for FPS in this game. For open world I don't even bother joining any squads anymore, so that's never an issue.

...so, I was in the market to refresh my current system (AMD 8 core Bulldozer), but with the news prior and after Computex I decided I'd wait 6-12 months or so to build a new system just to see how the AMD vs Intel battle actually shakes out.In the mean time I had a opportunity to buy a referb HP Z800 workstation for cheap (less than $400) and the specs might surprise you. First let me say that my primary goal has been to move off Windows totally switching to Linux and of course I need to run Windows games and programs either in a VM or on a bare metal Linux box.... sound impossible? naw!

The spec of the Z800 are:PSU: 1115W

CPU (s): 2x Xeon 5650 6 core 2.66 GHZ (yea slow but we don't really care that much about clock cycles)(12 physical threads 24 hyper threads)

RAM: 96 gig of DDR3 ECC memory (yeah a total waste, way more memory than it'll ever need or use) ( the ECC memory alone cost more than I paid for the entire PC)

GPU (s): 2x AMD Radeon RX570 (4 gig) (purchased to add to the system) (older but still viable cards for my usage) I need two cards because I run 4 monitors and like to multi-task, and don't want to over task one card trying to do everything I might ask it to do. (these cards are NOT in Crossfire although I have in the past used it to link two cards)

HD: The Z800 came with a WD 1TB spinning platter drive, but was replaced with two SSDs both Samsung EVO drives, then a NVMe PCIe card was added with a 1TB M.2 drive for games.

All totaled I have a little less than $1k in the PC, it runs everything I throw at it, has plenty of capacity to run VMs, KVMs, running Fedora 30 and a combination of Wine, Lutris, Steam (Proton), and Play On Linux I can play all my games along with running most of the Windows software I need which isn't much these days..., lol

BTW after a few tweaks I have a very stable GW2 install that averages 45-65 FPS on this old junk hardware...the core/thread utilization is way higher than I thought and while I don't see 100% core usage across both CPUs I do see way over 50% usage on all cores across both CPUs, while playing a game and watching YouTube at the same time, the primary CPU does hit 100% on some cores while the secondary CPU will balance out at 40-60% per core, it's interesting to watch as I never thought both CPUs would be utilized as much as they are.

When the time comes to build a new PC this HP will find a new role as a headless media server or running our CCTV security system, heck maybe it'll do both! =)

@zionophir.6845 said:2 years old? it's waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of its time looks like..

2 years is nothing, it only seems a long time to kids and teenagers. ;) Stylish PCs have been a thing for a long time, it's a serious hobby for some people.

My rig posted earlier will be 10 years old next year (most of it at least), but it is likely I will buy new hardware by the end of summer.

My PC is about 4-5 years old. Replacing it in July.CPU: AMD A10 7850K Black EditionGPU: MSI AMD Radeon R7 270 4GB (IIRC)PSU: Corsair CX750Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD (x2).Memory: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 2400 (2x8GB)Motherboard: Asus A88XM-PLUSMonitor/s: Asus 1920x1080 (FHD) VS248H & Huion 1920x1080 GT221.

Avg fps: ~45High-end fps: 60Low-end fps: ~25(Character Limit set to Medium, and Character Model Quality set to Lowest, all other graphics settings set to High)

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

AMD users that complain FPS issue are using the old gen cpuThe amd old gen cpus are particularly bad when come to IPC performance

Not applicable to Ryzen 2000 and upcoming Ryzen 3000Amd has been back in the game for CPU for awhile now, beating intel in sales

yeah, the Bulldozer architecture was a complete failure for AMD, hence a lot of gamers that demanded high performance rigs switchover to intel

Ryzen 1 and 2 has been lacking in performance in terms of highest single core performance, hence intel is still the preferred CPU; will see how Ryzen 3 goes

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@zionophir.6845 said:2 years old? it's waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of its time looks like..

2 years is nothing, it only seems a long time to kids and teenagers. ;) Stylish PCs have been a thing for a long time, it's a serious hobby for some people.

My rig posted earlier will be 10 years old next year (most of it at least), but it is likely I will buy new hardware by the end of summer.

what i meant was that its parts were top of the line and even the displayed premade brand new computers around 1-1.5k dollars in Computer Stores today will look like they're made in 2012 compared to his rig.

@zionophir.6845 said:what i meant was that its parts were top of the line and even the displayed premade brand new computers around 1-1.5k dollars in Computer Stores today will look like they're made in 2012 if compared to his rig.

Yes, quite expensive stuff. I've never paid more than 1.5k EUR for a full rig + peripherals (i.e., monitor, mouse etc), but even with that amount you can build something that can last a decade these days, with the upgrade of your gfx card (and possibly the OS) after ~5 years.

i tend to use older stuff and stretch it to the limits, a older Xeon workstation can be the base for a powerful gaming rigat current i am using a HP420 with the followingIntel Xeon CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz 4 core hyper threaded64 GB ECC memoryXFX RX 570 4GB card

for a OS I am using Manjaro GNU/Linux

less that 400 us and i have a machine that plays any games that interist me

@bbop.9706 said:I'm looking to build a new pc and am specifically interested in what runs gw2 smoothly with max settings and most importantly, crash free..With Anet's crappy servers - no such thing as crash free.I7 2600k 3.4I have 16 gig ramSSD 500Asus P67 boardAsus 1060 GTXAnd with all this and a very good connection close to Montreal Anet still managed to kick me this afternoon every frack'n 15 minutes to character select while Ubisoft let me play Division 2 for hours at a time with a game that is only 2 months old not 7 years. GW 2 wasn't always like this I don't know why it seems like they cut their server budget but now the servers stinks like Pepe Le pew.

@Derdzvero.7051 said:Already thinking over what other games I can put on the SSD instead of that GW2boring lagfestOh you mean like when I mount my Griffon for 15 seconds and the server suddenly realizes that I have paid good money too much in fact for a Nightfang skin and suddenly displays the proper skin and that only happens if the server lets me mount anything at all......Before I go to bed, what about all those times when I try to mine and the game still thinks I'm mounted, only I'm not.I've even had to log out to force the game to reset to unmounted status, because it had been a few minutes yes not seconds,Sometimes I thing the game is asleep at the helm or is it our DEVS? Oh I also forgot, what about all those times you land and unmount and you're forced to watch everyone fight because you can't the game still thinks you're mounted.Anet for crying out loud your mount feature is broken, would you please fix it? :#

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:

@Derdzvero.7051 said:Already thinking over what other games I can put on the SSD instead of that GW2boring lagfestOh you mean like when I mount my Griffon for 15 seconds and the server suddenly realizes that I have paid good money too much in fact for a Nightfang skin and suddenly displays the proper skin and that only happens if the server lets me mount anything at all......Before I go to bed, what about all those times when I try to mine and the game still thinks I'm mounted, only I'm not.I've even had to log out to force the game to reset to unmounted status, because it had been a few minutes yes not seconds,Sometimes I thing the game is asleep at the helm or is it our DEVS? Oh I also forgot, what about all those times you land and unmount and you're forced to watch everyone fight because you can't the game still thinks you're mounted.Anet for crying out loud your mount feature is broken, would you please fix it? :#

Hahahha, absolutely! The funniest part is I'm using default mount skins!

@"bbop.9706" said:I'm looking to build a new pc and am specifically interested in what runs gw2 smoothly with max settings and most importantly, crash free..

Please let me know your rig stats say if you have an enjoyable and reliable gw2 experience!

Stats should include: cpu - make/model, ram - type/amount, cooling - type, gfx card, hdisk type. Thats all we really need to know! thanks!

OP... just to state, before anyone says Intel IPC is superior, remember that a computer is more than just a GW2 machine and that while this held very true a couple of years back, it is not really the case anymore. You should opt for a B450 board with decent VRM cooling and a 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPU, assuming you don't care about the Intel vs AMD fanboy wars. It is exceptional bang for buck and will be PLENTY for GW2 and other games and for a good number of years (5+ for the CPU, RAM, SSD, etc). Couple this with a good GPU with the savings you will have made and 8GB+ DDR4 (preferably 16GB of RAM) and you have a very powerful machine that costs less. The benefit of AMD is that not only do they have tons of cores, but a ridiculously high amount of cache. I know GW2 is basically dual core, but a 3rd Gen Ryzen is both inexpensive, modern and powerful and will be more than enough for your current needs and any future requirements.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wDym6s - here is a perfectly capable computer, which I threw together pretty quickly. This also includes a new copy of Windows 10. If you don't need a new OS, that is fine and you can save yourself some money by installing your old OS. It also includes an SSD with plenty of space, so you can put some games on there that require fast load time (map changes and such in GW2) and can serve as a boot drive for Windows to start up quickly and a typical mechanical 1TB drive for a plethora of other games that aren't constantly loading off of the drive, and of course a good place for your typical documents, images and whatnot. The GPU is good and packs a massive 8GB of VRAM, which is necessary these days, even at 1080p. Sadly, the Nvidia GPUs using 6GB are not amazing because some games running Ultra textures can gobble up more than 6GB of VRAM, though it is uncommon, it is best not to limit yourself for the future so that extea 2GB of VRAM will ensure that. The 580 is great up to 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings at 60fps on most games and should serve you for a good few years. If you play on a higher resolution, look for a different GPU. Or if you only intend on playing Guild Wars 2 and only Guild Wars 2, then you can swap that out for a lower end card.

I'm sure you can shave a few more $$$ here and there off of that build, but it's a lot of kit for the money.

@Holgarf.6581 said:

@"bbop.9706" said:I'm looking to build a new pc and am specifically interested in what runs gw2 smoothly with max settings and most importantly, crash free..

Please let me know your rig stats say if you have an enjoyable and reliable gw2 experience!

Stats should include: cpu - make/model, ram - type/amount, cooling - type, gfx card, hdisk type. Thats all we really need to know! thanks!

OP... just to state, before anyone says Intel IPC is superior, remember that a computer is more than just a GW2 machine and that while this held very true a couple of years back, it is not really the case anymore. You should opt for a B450 board with decent VRM cooling and a 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPU, assuming you don't care about the Intel vs AMD fanboy wars. It is exceptional bang for buck and will be PLENTY for GW2 and other games and for a good number of years (5+ for the CPU, RAM, SSD, etc). Couple this with a good GPU with the savings you will have made and 8GB+ DDR4 (preferably 16GB of RAM) and you have a very powerful machine that costs less. The benefit of AMD is that not only do they have tons of cores, but a ridiculously high amount of cache. I know GW2 is basically dual core, but a 3rd Gen Ryzen is both inexpensive, modern and powerful and will be more than enough for your current needs and any future requirements.

- here is a perfectly capable computer, which I threw together pretty quickly. This also includes a new copy of Windows 10. If you don't need a new OS, that is fine and you can save yourself some money by installing your old OS. It also includes an SSD with plenty of space, so you can put some games on there that require fast load time (map changes and such in GW2) and can serve as a boot drive for Windows to start up quickly and a typical mechanical 1TB drive for a plethora of other games that aren't constantly loading off of the drive, and of course a good place for your typical documents, images and whatnot. The GPU is good and packs a massive 8GB of VRAM, which is necessary these days, even at 1080p. Sadly, the Nvidia GPUs using 6GB are not amazing because some games running Ultra textures can gobble up more than 6GB of VRAM, though it is uncommon, it is best not to limit yourself for the future so that extea 2GB of VRAM will ensure that. The 580 is great up to 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings at 60fps on most games and should serve you for a good few years. If you play on a higher resolution, look for a different GPU. Or if you only intend on playing Guild Wars 2 and only Guild Wars 2, then you can swap that out for a lower end card.

I'm sure you can shave a few more $$$ here and there off of that build, but it's a lot of kit for the money.

Thanks for your feedback dude ?im all in favour of saving cash!

@bbop.9706 said:

@bbop.9706 said:I'm looking to build a new pc and am specifically interested in what runs gw2 smoothly with max settings and most importantly, crash free..

- here is a perfectly capable computer, which I threw together pretty quickly. This also includes a new copy of Windows 10. If you don't need a new OS, that is fine and you can save yourself some money by installing your old OS. It also includes an SSD with plenty of space, so you can put some games on there that require fast load time (map changes and such in GW2) and can serve as a boot drive for Windows to start up quickly and a typical mechanical 1TB drive for a plethora of other games that aren't constantly loading off of the drive, and of course a good place for your typical documents, images and whatnot. The GPU is good and packs a massive 8GB of VRAM, which is necessary these days, even at 1080p. Sadly, the Nvidia GPUs using 6GB are not amazing because some games running Ultra textures can gobble up more than 6GB of VRAM, though it is uncommon, it is best not to limit yourself for the future so that extea 2GB of VRAM will ensure that. The 580 is great up to 1440p gaming at high/ultra settings at 60fps on most games and should serve you for a good few years. If you play on a higher resolution, look for a different GPU. Or if you only intend on playing Guild Wars 2 and only Guild Wars 2, then you can swap that out for a lower end card.

Thanks for your feedback dude ?im all in favour of saving cash!

No problem. Also, just to note that the build there uses a 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen, which is still exceptionally good. Picking 3rd Gen parts is allowed on that website but not advisable as there is no pricing currently as they aren't actually released yet but will be very soon. The 3rd Gen Ryzen processors are priced very well from what I have seen, so if that is of any interest to you, be sure to check out some videos for it on Youtube.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

I was using a 4.4GHz Core i5 2500K and Nvidia GTX 970 before moving to a Ryzen 5 1600X, 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4 with great timings, an a RX 580 and I've been playing GW2 mostly at 60fps at 1080p with everything on High/Ultra besides reflections, which is set to terrain only and Character Models and Quantity at medium. In the busiest of meta events though it does drop to 20fps, but... you know... that's crazy meta. My CPU isn't overclocked manually either so I run on XFR. 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen chips have IPC increases and have better XFR refinements and will be perfectly fine for GW2. Now, back in ye old days, AMD was a no go, especially on the old Phenoms and the lower end FX series, but with Ryzen that is not the case anymore.

I hope that people realise this when making their PCs, that Intel aren't king of IPC and that AMD CPUs and GPUs can handle all sorts of things these days. I'm not being biased, I've used both brands for many years and I'm just trying to tell people that you'll get plenty of GW2 performance but a ton of bang for buck if you opt for AMDs platform as well as having a system that is capable of handling lots of modern games and applications really well. Before Ryzen, I'd of recommended Intel, but it seems AMD are back in the game.