I told you Sylvari had teeth!

Ashantara.8731

@Psientist.6437 said:

Can Sylvari metabolize sunlight?

According to an out-of-game interview, yes, they can, although it isn't sufficient to meet their requirements. Sylvari still need to eat, but a sylvari who gets lots of sun is more energetic and doesn't need to eat as much as one who doesn't.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:The Pale Tree is the one who shaped them, from what we have been told. She shaped them in the appearance of humans.

That's what we were told
before
she presented us with the truth, though, which is that Mordemoth is their creator ("We come from the jungle dragon." - The Pale Tree).

Mordremoth didn't design their appearance. He might be the originator of them by the fact that the Pale Tree is a cleansed Blighting Tree (aka a normal tree corrupted by Mordremoth's magic, then purified by still unknown means), but he was still asleep and unconscious when the sylvari were first born; he only began to stir because of Scarlet's mind dive into The All via Omadd's Machine. The Pale Tree chose how to make the sylvari and sylvan hounds look.

The first minions designed by Mordremoth were very plant-like (thrashers, tendrils), were converting the sylvari's creations (husks), or were turning animals into plants (troll and wolves).
Then
he began creating mimicries much like the sylvari (teragriffs and menders) though he avoided the humanoid appearance.

He does also make Mordrem copies of the inhabitants of the jungle - hylek and dinosaurs in particular. To me, it came across as being rather Zerg-like: he could absorb a template and make Mordrem copies of it almost at will through the Blighting Trees.

My gut feeling is that the sylvari are humanoid because the Pale Tree used the deceased of Ronan's village as templates... possibly when she was too young to consciously realise what she was doing. Which could explain why there aren't also centaur sylvari - because she either didn't have enough to use as a template, or she chose not to absorb them out of respect.

(Which, ironically, might have been a bad call on her part - if there were centauriform sylvari, Faolain may not have responded so poorly to meeting actual centaurs.)

This shouldn't have come to any surprise that Sylvari had teeth. Just go back and look at the Tower of Nightmares cutscene with Scarlet.dims?quality=85&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fo

You can clearly see her teeth in that, as well as her final death scene. They are very apparent in that, as well as her eye lashes.
Scarlet_dead.jpg

@"draxynnic.3719" said:He does also make Mordrem copies of the inhabitants of the jungle - hylek and dinosaurs in particular. To me, it came across as being rather Zerg-like: he could absorb a template and make Mordrem copies of it almost at will through the Blighting Trees.

My gut feeling is that the sylvari are humanoid because the Pale Tree used the deceased of Ronan's village as templates... possibly when she was too young to consciously realise what she was doing. Which could explain why there aren't also centaur sylvari - because she either didn't have enough to use as a template, or she chose not to absorb them out of respect.

(Which, ironically, might have been a bad call on her part - if there were centauriform sylvari, Faolain may not have responded so poorly to meeting actual centaurs.)

The issue is that, whether as retcon or not, the Blighting Tree's ability to use corpses is "apparently" coming from Zhaitan's magic, not innately their own ability.

For whatever sense that makes.

@Abraxxus.8971 said:This shouldn't have come to any surprise that Sylvari had teeth. Just go back and look at the Tower of Nightmares cutscene with Scarlet.

I'm not saying it comes as a surprise. I just wanted to point this out once more to all the nay-sayers. :)

@"ROMANG.1903" said:Was there any doubt about this?

Apparently, as the last time I mentioned this, I got a variety of excuses as to why they had teeth in cutscenes ("due to dialogue mechanics that required teeth").

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"draxynnic.3719" said:He does also make Mordrem copies of the inhabitants of the jungle - hylek and dinosaurs in particular. To me, it came across as being rather Zerg-like: he could absorb a template and make Mordrem copies of it almost at will through the Blighting Trees.

The issue is that, whether as retcon or not, the Blighting Tree's ability to use corpses is "apparently" coming from Zhaitan's magic, not innately their own ability.

For whatever sense
that
makes.

Assuming Taimi's massive conclusion-jump is correct on that one, and even then, it might be that using Zhaitan's magic is enhancing an existing ability: for instance, a Blighting Tree might have always been able to use corpses, but copies from corpses might have been purely physical copies, while when Zhaitan's magic is added, the copies also gain the skills and memories of the original. Which fits in with the sylvari: they're physical copies of humans and have roughly human intelligence, but none of them have memories of Ronan's village.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:He does also make Mordrem copies of the inhabitants of the jungle - hylek and dinosaurs in particular. To me, it came across as being rather Zerg-like: he could absorb a template and make Mordrem copies of it almost at will through the Blighting Trees.

For whatever sense
that
makes.

Assuming Taimi's massive conclusion-jump is correct on that one, and even then, it might be that using Zhaitan's magic is enhancing an existing ability: for instance, a Blighting Tree might have always been able to use corpses, but copies from corpses might have been purely physical copies, while when Zhaitan's magic is added, the copies also gain the skills and memories of the original. Which fits in with the sylvari: they're physical copies of humans and have roughly human intelligence, but none of them have memories of Ronan's village.

Taimi's got nothing to do with my comment.

Still feels like a retcon on their part, done by taking advantage of the fact that non-Zhaitan ED corrupting dead being ambiguous in depiction and few.

Though there is one instance where NPCs die and, after a player-controlled delay, come back to life as icebrood.

• 7 months later...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Lumpy Forehead.2193" said:Why the surprise? Female sylvaries have breasts even though they don't breast feed.

Yes, there is a lot about the Sylvari that puzzles me. My personal explanation is that Mordremoth shaped them based on human physiology - why, though, I have no clue. ;)Nearly two hundred and fifty years ago, a human soldier named Ronan found a strange seed during his journeys and tucked it away to give to his daughter when he returned home. Sadly, by the time he reached his village, it had been destroyed, wiped out by the White Mantle. Ronan planted the seed upon his family's graves instead.You will be able to find where that came from
. The tree soaked up the "human essence" and [it](
of the Tree) got info/data on physiology so that's why the sylvari are like humans.

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@"Lumpy Forehead.2193" said:Why the surprise? Female sylvaries have breasts even though they don't breast feed.

Yes, there is a lot about the Sylvari that puzzles me. My personal explanation is that Mordremoth shaped them based on human physiology - why, though, I have no clue. ;)Nearly two hundred and fifty years ago, a human soldier named Ronan found a strange seed during his journeys and tucked it away to give to his daughter when he returned home. Sadly, by the time he reached his village, it had been destroyed, wiped out by the White Mantle. Ronan planted the seed upon his family's graves instead.You will be able to find where that came from [here](
and Nightmare). The tree soaked up the "human essence" and [it](
of the Tree) got info/data on physiology so that's why the sylvari are like humans.

As discussed above, that's one theory, but it's not the only one. Other sources have suggested that the Tree can control the shape of her children, and she chose humans because she grew up around them. It's also possible that there's another reason altogether- neither explanation cleanly accounts for Malyck, after all, and there are plenty of races in Tyria that are shaped like humans with having any connection to humans.

• 1 month later...

Without intention of advertising, i notice alot of similarities between Sylvari and Fae, salad people from the game Kingdoms of Amalur. If you are a Sylvari lover (or not really), look into Fae storyline (especially locations), its quite interesting and somehow feels like it could be an extension to Sylvari, the more imaginative you are, the more connections you will find.