Add dificulty options to every instanced content?

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Hmm. I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since 3 days before launch and Guild Wars years before that; does that make me a Veteran? I would guess so. Funnily enough, I have no desire for more challenging (difficult) content than what is already offered. In fact, I would not mind the oft-proposed 'training/easy' mode for Raids.

Thats why I typically include mentioning hardcore players because an increase in challenge more applies to them rather than someone with your perspective where you don't have the desire for it. You already have your accessible content, which is what this game already has, hardcore players currently don't really get the same challenge on GW2 that they would get on other MMORPGs like FFXIV and WoW, even ESO at this point.

Then, perhaps, using the term 'hardcore' only, rather than 'Veteran' might serve well.

Do keep in mind, that after the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) asked for 'more challenging content', ArenaNet acquiesced and released Heart of Thorns. It took no time for the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) to decry the decision, and Heart of Thorns' content was adjusted. Perhaps, then, ArenaNet may be wary about spending resources on something that may not go over so well. /shrug

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Do keep in mind, that after the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) asked for 'more challenging content', ArenaNet acquiesced and released Heart of Thorns. It took no time for the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) to decry the decision, and Heart of Thorns' content was adjusted. Perhaps, then, ArenaNet may be wary about spending resources on something that may not go over so well. /shrug

Heart of Thorns was released many years after players asked for "more challenging content". Maybe if Heart of Thorns was released when it was asked for it wouldn't go so bad, but acknowledging what some vocal posters want and then acting on it literally years afterwards is not a very good idea. Those asking for it probably left the game by that point.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Hmm. I've been playing Guild Wars 2 since 3 days before launch and Guild Wars years before that; does that make me a Veteran? I would guess so. Funnily enough, I have no desire for more challenging (difficult) content than what is already offered. In fact, I would not mind the oft-proposed 'training/easy' mode for Raids.

Thats why I typically include mentioning hardcore players because an increase in challenge more applies to them rather than someone with your perspective where you don't have the desire for it. You already have your accessible content, which is what this game already has, hardcore players currently don't really get the same challenge on GW2 that they would get on other MMORPGs like FFXIV and WoW, even ESO at this point.

Then, perhaps, using the term 'hardcore' only, rather than 'Veteran' might serve well.

Do keep in mind, that after the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) asked for 'more challenging content', ArenaNet acquiesced and released Heart of Thorns. It took no time for the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) to decry the decision, and Heart of Thorns' content was adjusted. Perhaps, then, ArenaNet may be wary about spending resources on something that may not go over so well. /shrug

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I seem to remember players asking for it right up until it launched.

In fact, it seems some are
still
asking for it.

Well while HoT Open World content was a tad bit more "challenging" for players, it wasn't really all that bad. I remember a friend of mine complaining that it was all way too difficult for him and I remember my only thought being "What are you talking about?" because while things like the Pocket Raptors and the addition of break bars were all new and people were in no way adjusted to them, many still aren't as getting people to bring enough CC along to actually put a dent in break bars is still a chore, the challenge came more from the environment of this community and its players rather than the actual content, basically what we talked about in some previous posts. It was all fresh and such so it was a nice change of pace but there hasn't been any real change in that dynamic since then.

Also I think one of the chief complaints in that scenario was that it was Open World content so it wasn't something people could have tailored to their degree of skill level. It was all mandatory, no choice and so it frustrated many. However if we're talking about instanced content like Dungeons and Raids, which I think we're boiling this down to these two things specifically, providing the option for much more difficult content with the proper interface like previously suggested would actually be a welcome addition to the game for players who are looking for more, much more. Players are very clearly still looking for this game to challenge them in PvE much more than it has, and it hasn't challenged them much, but I do believe many gave up years ago and have since moved on to games that actually provide it. FFXIV, WoW, ESO, etc.

Not gonna lie, if I could afford $60 + several months of a subscription I would probably be on FFXIV more than GW2 just purely because the PvE would actually be satisfying and sufficiently challenge me. I would like to like GW2 PvE...but I don't. It bores me, it doesn't challenge me and its horribly unsatisfying.

This stuff is why I don't think ArenaNet should really put much focus on an Expansion. They have Season 5 in the works but we don't know anything beyond that and I genuinely believe that ArenaNet should put a lot of their focus on the content they have currently in the game and improving on many aspects of it as it is desperately needed at this point. PvP balance is a nightmare, sPvP is stagnant, WvW is stagnant, PvE is in a better place than both of those but still not satisfying and needs improvement especially in the difficulty department, the entire point of this thread. Then we have QoL issues with glitches, inconsistencies and lack of accessibility options. Its 2019, this game is 7 years old and still they have no colorblind options. I have Deuteronomy colorblindness, so that pisses me off. Try playing WvW when you're on either Red or Green team and you can't tell which areas your team controls unless you physically mouse over them on the world map.

Anyway, this difficulty scaling is just one of many things ArenaNet needs to consider in the coming year, or year and a half.

@Ashen.2907 said:I would love to find FFXIV content challenging, perhaps that starts after the leveling process? So far its essentially mindless running back and forth without anything resembling a memorable fight.

Well I imagine thats the case. FFXIV is more of a traditional MMORPG in that sense, the challenging content sort of comes after the leveling process which in itself isn't exactly challenging and falls into typical questing.

The challenging PvE is in the form of Trials on FFXIV. They come with Normal, Hard and Extreme. Each difficulty can also, depending on the Trial, actually change the instance itself and there is a narrative element associated with it.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Do keep in mind, that after the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) asked for 'more challenging content', ArenaNet acquiesced and released Heart of Thorns. It took no time for the forums (and elsewhere, I would suppose) to decry the decision, and Heart of Thorns' content was adjusted. Perhaps, then, ArenaNet may be wary about spending resources on something that may not go over so well. /shrug

Heart of Thorns was released many years after players asked for "more challenging content". Maybe if Heart of Thorns was released when it was asked for it wouldn't go so bad, but acknowledging what some vocal posters want and then acting on it literally years afterwards is not a very good idea. Those asking for it probably left the game by that point.

That would be as big of a problem as you present it to be if ppl didnt come back.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I would love to find FFXIV content challenging, perhaps that starts after the leveling process? So far its essentially mindless running back and forth without anything resembling a memorable fight.

Wrong forum?

Sorry, was responding to the post prior to mine, where the poster mentions FFXIV challenge, and forgot to quote.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I like how FFXIV makes easy modes of the raids with reduced rewards. GW2 doesn't have a duty finder esque thing though, so I'm fine with it being solo content.

Is there a gear treadmill in FFXIV?

Yes but I'm not sure how that's relevant to what I said.

If it has a gear treadmill then maybe people run the easier modes to get their gear for the harder ones and not because it's easy mode. Like in many other popular MMORPGs with easy mode raids.

Except people still run them in the Duty Roulettes even with the gear being completely irrelevant for current content because it offers other rewards like bonus exp.

To be fair, were I in Anet's shoes, I would look at Numbers and base my decision solely on that factor :

How many different players play this instance : Many ? Few ?If many dont change a thingIf few, implement difficulty scales

How many instances result in success, and how many instances result in failure ?If the amount of Failure is too largely disproportionate, add an easier level.If the amount of Success is too largely disproportionate, add a harder level.

It's not something we players can easily quantify, at all. It's something only they can

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Except people still run them in the Duty Roulettes even with the gear being completely irrelevant for current content because it offers other rewards like bonus exp.

I guess a better way to ask this is if players are running the lower modes to experience the story or for -any- other reasons.

I did. Many of my friends did. Not sure what else you want me to say. That and the easy mode versions are really the only ones with story, the Savage versions of the raid cut out all the cutscenes and plop you right into the fight. Can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of making an easy mode version of the raid with story in it if they felt like people weren't doing it for the story. Besides, my suggestion for an easy mode version was specifically attached to the 'if they make the base versions of the raids more difficult.' Which I don't want to happen because as I've stated, I personally feel that the raids are fine as is. And if there is to be more difficult content, they should make more difficult challenge motes.

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Except people still run them in the Duty Roulettes even with the gear being completely irrelevant for current content because it offers other rewards like bonus exp.

I guess a better way to ask this is if players are running the lower modes to experience the story or for -any- other reasons.

I did. Many of my friends did. Not sure what else you want me to say. That and the easy mode versions are really the only ones with story, the Savage versions of the raid cut out all the cutscenes and plop you right into the fight. Can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of making an easy mode version of the raid with story in it if they felt like people weren't doing it for the story. Besides, my suggestion for an easy mode version was specifically attached to the 'if they make the base versions of the raids more difficult.' Which I don't want to happen because as I've stated, I personally feel that the raids are fine as is. And if there is to be more difficult content, they should make more difficult challenge motes.

I was just curious that's all I had no clue how it works in FFXIV

If the dificulty options are added those who don't like it can always ignore it, this is not a change to the current game. It would just add more options. If people are afraid this would divide the players more, than just have those options unlocked for everyone. I would love to see a level 1 player doing a story more instance in inferno mode with level 80 fully maxed players to help.