Server transfer costs after change

Ashantara.8731

@neven.3785 said:If anything, they should triple the cost or lock it completely a week before and atleast 2 weeks after

We were two servers that had been linked for ages, therefore we had many guilds that had players from both servers. Now we had to vote on which server we were going to play. That resulted in a kittenload of gold or RL money being paid for transfers.

I don't think this is fair. Your suggestion would have been even worse than what we are already dealing with (i.e., guilds falling apart, alliances falling apart).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@neven.3785 said:If anything, they should triple the cost or lock it completely a week before and atleast 2 weeks after

We were two servers that had been linked for ages, therefore we had many guilds that had players from both servers. Now we had to vote on which server we were going to play. That resulted in a kittenload of gold or RL money being paid for transfers.

You had a rare luxury.

We had to deal with this for a long time, and server xfers are cheap. This is generally a free to play game, welcome to what the rest of the world has been dealing with because we didn't get special treatment like the nationality based servers did

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"neven.3785" said:We had to deal with this for a long time, and server xfers are cheap.

I don't think 12 EUR (or ~280 gold) are "cheap". Also, the value of friendships formed and now lost after so many years cannot be expressed in Gems or gold... call me sentimental. ;)

Only 12 EUR? That’s cheap even if the game had a monthly user fee...

280 gold is cheap considering you can earn gold for free, you probably have that amount sitting in mats in your bank.I've never had to buy gems to transfer, sell your t6 mats, sell ascended mats, sell ectos, sell mythic coins, turn your skirmish tickets to unidentified dyes and sell those.Like seriously.

Am I the only one thinking that it would have been a proper gesture to make server tansfers free of cost for a week after implementing such a huge change?Why?

First, the change is (a) to test mechanics for the upcoming Restructuring (aka Alliances) and (b) to ensure that the matchups are better balanced (or at least, less-poorly balanced). Offering any sort of reduction in transfer costs or penalty would undermine both goals: it would make it harder to use the data and it would make any metrics from the last two months useless in determining links.

Second, the change only directly impacts some people. Specifically about half the worlds got a link that does not share the same language preference and half did not. Should common-language links get the same discount? Should primaries get the discounts? or only links? It's a whole set of issues to work out.

And perhaps most importantly: why? How would offering a discount to anyone improve WvW for the next 2 months?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

I don't think this is fair. Your suggestion would have been even worse than what we are already dealing with (i.e., guilds falling apart, alliances falling apart).

That's like saying buying a new car after 5 years is a big expense for one time

You gotta safe in advance, because you know one Day in the future you need to spend this gold

Experience tell pairings never last longer Then 4 months in a row