Why not merge classic dungeons with story instances

Into a single "system" concept? I think this would be a cool way to kill two birds with one stone. The original dungeons were set up as story instances in a sense anyway. Figure out a timeline for them and add them to the story journal, then, going forward, design some of the new story instances as proper dungeons. That way you can keep FotM as the true "dungeon system", but we can still get the occasional new world dungeon in the form of a new story expansion that is designed to be ran with NPCs and other players.

From what I understand they've abandoned dungeons on technical grounds, similar to how SAB will never be finished. Just more trouble than it's worth, they'd rather do new fractals/raids. Without insider knowledge it's hard to argue their point . . .

The OP's suggestion confused me, because it doesn't clarify what they mean by "dungeon" or "open world" or "story," nor how that would be distinguished from fractals or other instanced content.

If I understand correctly, the OP would like to see the following:

• An instance that can be repeated solo or in small group.
  • Reasonable rewards (however that might be defined)
  • An entrance to said instance in the open world, rather than in a hub, like the fractal lobby.
  • A story that goes with the instance, connecting it to lore and to its entrance location.

("Dungeon" is not the most useful name for this, because the word has so many other meanings, in the context of MMOs and GW2 specifically.)

This seems unlikely for ANet to do, mostly because it would take the same resources they have for LS+fractals and devote it to something else. This would slow down story creation (by creating yet another type of content that needs its own team & QA & support). Unless these instances were massively superior to the existing ones, I don't think the community would be happy with the delays. And, if ANet could produce massively superior instances, I'm sure they'd be doing so; they aren't going to be magically better because they have a different name or style.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:What is the difference between a "proper dungeon" and what we experience now in story instances?

That's kind of the point I'm making. Conceptually, there's no need for a difference. That's why they should be unified into one concept, and story instances are the best way to introduce new 5 man content that is not part of FotM.

I would rather the story mode just be made soloable for the average player so that the whole story can be done solo whenever one wishes and the more rewarding explorable paths are the only ones requiring groups.

edited for typos

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The OP's suggestion confused me, because it doesn't clarify what they mean by "dungeon" or "open world" or "story," nor how that would be distinguished from fractals or other instanced content.

If I understand correctly, the OP would like to see the following:

• An instance that can be repeated solo or in small group.
  • Reasonable rewards (however that might be defined)
  • An entrance to said instance in the open world, rather than in a hub, like the fractal lobby.
  • A story that goes with the instance, connecting it to lore and to its entrance location.

("Dungeon" is not the most useful name for this, because the word has so many other meanings, in the context of MMOs and GW2 specifically.)

This seems unlikely for ANet to do, mostly because it would take the same resources they have for LS+fractals and devote it to something else. This would slow down story creation (by creating yet another type of content that needs its own team & QA & support). Unless these instances were massively superior to the existing ones, I don't think the community would be happy with the delays. And, if ANet could produce massively superior instances, I'm sure they'd be doing so; they aren't going to be magically better because they have a different name or style.

You're more or less correct. "Dungeon" is basically a flavor name in this context, and would simply refer to story instances that took place in dungeon-type environments. Think about, for example, how awesome exploring a cave of wonders style dungeon as part of the story would have been in PoF. Huge missed opportunity there (along with failing to introduce land spears.)

I think, though, because the LW is a high priority for Anet that they already devote a lot of resources to, and this would be a natural update/extension to the LW model that can really help jazz it up while bringing the classic dungeons under it in a unified system.

@VDAC.2137 said:I would rather the story mode just be made soloable for the average so that the whole story can be done solo whenever one wishes and the more rewarding explorable paths are the only ones requiring groups.

I think combining the two systems would allow them to create a scaling difficulty/rewards system for both, which is what really needs to happen.