Why are skyscale skins in a separate pack?

It's a weird turn considering the previous mount skins were obtainable with RNG liscences. The first pack was made for the Warclaw and I already didn't like it, but I just assumed it was because the mount was made for a separate mode. But this one is for PvE. It could be that it's a premium mount or that you need to have living world season 4 in order to unlock it, but yet again the griffon and the roller beetle are avalaible in mount liscences. So what makes the skyscale different?

@ROMANG.1903 said:It's a weird turn considering the previous mount skins were obtainable with RNG liscences. The first pack was made for the Warclaw and I already didn't like it, but I just assumed it was because the mount was made for a separate mode. But this one is for PvE. It could be that it's a premium mount or that you need to have living world season 4 in order to unlock it, but yet again the griffon and the roller beetle are avalaible in mount liscences. So what makes the skyscale different?

Your wallet.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Think of the Warclaw and Skyscale mount bundles as 'catch up' bundles, for variety.

^This.

ANet recently released a set of mount adoption licenses, barely 2 months ago by now. So they would either have to introduce yet another set, for all mounts. Or they could release a Skyscale only set so people have more options to choose from until the next mount adoption license comes out, which will more than likely contain Skyscale skins as well. Makes perfect sense, to be honest, and I expected them to go this route for the first set of Skyscale skins. They didn't do it with the Roller Beetle because there weren't that many mount skins released yet (only 2 sets were released by then), and a new set was already planned (it was released a month after the Roller Beetle was introduced). Right now we have 5 sets, and the next one is not likely to be released before the summer is over. This is just so people don't have to wait so long for new Skyscale skins.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:I'm pretty sure if they cranked out another general mount adoption set right now with skyscales mixed in, people would be upset...people WITH skyscales because all they want is new skyscales, and not to get skimmers and bunnies via RNG, and people WITHOUT skyscales for the opposite reason.

No, because for those you have the option of either RNG or select. Personally, I think they should have added them to one or more of the existing sets and brought those back to the Gem store — those who had already collected the other skins then get a guaranteed Skyscale unlock if they decide to go the RNG route while the rest of us still have options.

Selling THEMED skins for the various mounts as a pack makes sense to me but releasing a set of skins for one mount really does not imho. :confused:

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Think of the Warclaw and Skyscale mount bundles as 'catch up' bundles, for variety.

^This.

ANet recently released a set of mount adoption licenses, barely 2 months ago by now. So they would either have to introduce yet another set, for all mounts. Or they could release a Skyscale only set so people have more options to choose from until the next mount adoption license comes out, which will more than likely contain Skyscale skins as well. Makes perfect sense, to be honest, and I expected them to go this route for the first set of Skyscale skins. They didn't do it with the Roller Beetle because there weren't that many mount skins released yet (only 2 sets were released by then), and a new set was already planned (it was released a month after the Roller Beetle was introduced). Right now we have 5 sets, and the next one is not likely to be released before the summer is over. This is just so people don't have to wait so long for new Skyscale skins.

As @Haleydawn.3764 and @TheNecrosanct.4028 both stated, this is a catch up bundle for those that have obtained the Skyscale and in all honesty if anyone would just put a minimum of thought into it before commenting you'd see it makes complete sense to do it this way(especially since we just had older sets on sale within the last 2 months).

@Zaklex.6308 said:

^This.

As @Haleydawn.3764 and @TheNecrosanct.4028 both stated, this is a catch up bundle for those that have obtained the Skyscale and in all honesty if anyone would just put a minimum of thought into it before commenting you'd see it makes complete sense to do it this way(especially since we just had older sets on sale within the last 2 months).

I have to say I disagree for one small reason: they added a branded skin in. This means my previously complete set of branded mounts for 1600gems will now cost me another 2000 for one more.

@Zaklex.6308 said:As @Haleydawn.3764 and @TheNecrosanct.4028 both stated, this is a catch up bundle for those that have obtained the Skyscale and in all honesty if anyone would just put a minimum of thought into it before commenting you'd see it makes complete sense to do it this way(especially since we just had older sets on sale within the last 2 months).

To me, that only makes sense for those who like to collect a lot of mount skins. I only buy premium skins I really like, mount selects and the occasional mount RNG license on sale. I only have 1-3 skins for each mount, so you can see that a pack like this does not appeal to players such as myself. If all mount skins were available individually (packs are a discount if you want the whole set) or were tradeable (I’d buy this for the skins I like and knowing I’d be able to get a nice chunk of gold for the branded skin that so many others want, for instance), then I think everyone would be reasonably happy.

@VDAC.2137 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:I'm pretty sure if they cranked out another general mount adoption set right now with skyscales mixed in, people would be upset...people WITH skyscales because all they want is new skyscales, and not to get skimmers and bunnies via RNG, and people WITHOUT skyscales for the opposite reason.

No, because for those you have the option of either RNG or select. Personally, I think they should have added them to one or more of the existing sets and brought those back to the Gem store — those who had already collected the other skins then get a guaranteed Skyscale unlock if they decide to go the RNG route while the rest of us still have options.

Selling THEMED skins for the various mounts as a pack makes sense to me but releasing a set of skins for one mount really does not imho. :confused:

Actually, yes, because the select licence is a lot more expensive and this has historical precedent: people were upset because they got griffon skins or rollerbeetle skins and they don't have that mount or don't like it. Look at the old mount threads and you'll see plenty of examples.

They've tried different tactics, large grab bags, small grab bags, themed sets and sets for a particular mount. I'm just glad to get 5 new skyscale skins now rather than waiting months for the next licence to be ready.

This just seems to be one tactic they use, it doesn't mean that they won't add them to future mount adoption grab bags.

@Pifil.5193 said:

Actually, yes, because the select licence is a lot more expensive and this has historical precedent: people
were
upset because they got griffon skins or rollerbeetle skins and they don't have that mount or don't like it. Look at the old mount threads and you'll see plenty of examples.

They've tried different tactics, large grab bags, small grab bags, themed sets and sets for a particular mount. I'm just glad to get 5 new skyscale skins now rather than waiting months for the next licence to be ready.

This just seems to be one tactic they use, it doesn't mean that they won't add them to future mount adoption grab bags.

Ah, I hadn’t seen those threads and I didn’t realize that you could get through RNG a skin for a mount you didn’t have. And it does make sense to offer the mount skins in different ways and at different price points and it is impossible to make everyone happy! For me, I like the original Skyscale and love the Shimmerwing; I don’t need anything else but am always happy to be wowed. B)

@ROMANG.1903 said:It's a weird turn considering the previous mount skins were obtainable with RNG liscences. The first pack was made for the Warclaw and I already didn't like it, but I just assumed it was because the mount was made for a separate mode. But this one is for PvE. It could be that it's a premium mount or that you need to have living world season 4 in order to unlock it, but yet again the griffon and the roller beetle are avalaible in mount liscences. So what makes the skyscale different?

ANet makes mounts. ANet releases mount bundles for all the mounts as well as individual unique skins. ANet releases the Roller Beetle and says beyond a shadow of a doubt, old bundles will not be updated to include Roller Beetle. ANet release unique skin for Roller Beetle. ANet releases Roller Beetle skin pack. ANet releases Warclaw. ANet releases Warclaw skin pack. ANet releases Skyscale. ANet releases unique skin for the Skyscale. There is confusion as to why ANet would then release a Skyscale skin pack? I've been wondering when they would get around to it. The only thing that confuses me is why there wasn't a unique skin for the Warclaw, but I suppose it's niche enough for them not to. At the same time the Warclaw is my only mount on my second account, so if it's good I might just go for it.

@Blocki.4931 said:Considering that it is the mount with the least skins, of course they'd push a bunch of them at once. Plus since the journey takes far longer than the one for the beetle, getting a random skin before you even unlock it feels very scummy.

That’s what people said about the the other Mount Adoption Licenses that have Griffon and Beetle skins. If you don’t have either mount, or have no interest in getting either, you can only avoid those skins by paying 1,200 gems for select licenses.

Thematically, it was right to include branded skins in both the Warclaw and Skyscale bundle. The original set was for the core set of mounts, of which the Warclaw and Skyscale don’t belong to. People paid 1,600/2,000 gems for 5 skins. That’s what was agreed upon when you bought the pack of Branded mounts, and that’s what you got. Anet said they would not adjust previous Mount bundles, or add another skin to the mount bundle. They had this conversation when the beetle was introduced, and people wanted the Branded/Wintersday sets to be retroactively changed to include a Beetle version. Anet basically said no, but didn’t take off the table they’d use the same theme for other mounts.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Considering that it is the mount with the least skins, of course they'd push a bunch of them at once. Plus since the journey takes far longer than the one for the beetle, getting a random skin before you even unlock it feels very scummy.

That’s what people said about the the other Mount Adoption Licenses that have Griffon and Beetle skins. If you don’t have either mount, or have no interest in getting either, you can only avoid those skins by paying 1,200 gems for select licenses.

Thematically, it was right to include branded skins in both the Warclaw and Skyscale bundle. The original set was for the core set of mounts, of which the Warclaw and Skyscale don’t belong to. People paid 1,600/2,000 gems for 5 skins. That’s what was agreed upon when you bought the pack of Branded mounts, and that’s what you got. Anet said they would not adjust previous Mount bundles, or add another skin to the mount bundle. They had this conversation when the beetle was introduced, and people wanted the Branded/Wintersday sets to be retroactively changed to include a Beetle version. Anet basically said no, but didn’t take off the table they’d use the same theme for other mounts.

Yeah, because they'd have to increase the price of an updated brand pack etc. People wouldn't want that at all. Actually pretty smart what they are doing.

As for Griffon and Beetle: They're easy enough to get to be honest. Griffon might be a better argument because of the gold required, but that would just be another goal for people who have to catch up on all the content anyway, which is definitely a good thing. Ideally you wouldn't get skins for them until you unlocked them, but that could also cause some issues where people are mad they'd rather get better chances at base mounts etc.