About Avatars

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ArenaNet Staff

About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars: The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars. And given the decision that must be made by any company as far as priorities, I believe that the best use of our dev team's time is in creating game content that can be enjoyed by players. Remember, I'm "the forum person" for ArenaNet, and yet I'm saying this! Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have this spiffy new toy and that amazing new element to enhance the forum experience. But as a player, and with eyes on the main thing we do here at ArenaNet, I want -- I think we all want -- game content most of all. :3

I will add this to the informal FAQ I posted yesterday.

@Neoma.3207 said:

About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars:
The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars.

With this statement, I find myself wondering how Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft do it on their community website.

They probably spend more money, resources and technology on useless stuff, letting game-content suffer.

@Frostfang.5109 said:

@Neoma.3207 said:

About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars:
The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars.

With this statement, I find myself wondering how Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft do it on their community website.

They probably spend more money, resources and technology on useless stuff, letting game-content suffer.

Nope.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Just remove them altogether.They are a waste of screen real estate and their implementation on these forums is tokenistic at best.Avatars are about personal expression and identity. The opportunity for this is almost entirely absent given their implementation here.They are pointless and get in the way.~TG

Fully agree. If we are not getting personalized avs, then is better if you remove them.

Archived