Engi balance

Bazooka.3590

I think the problem with increasing the holo skills is that your generally intended to stay in Holo mode until your heat piles up. If you increase skill recharge on those skills, what skills do you have available to use? running around in auto attack waiting for your skills to show up again isn't going to play out. Also Corona burst is the source of stability for eng.'s, so how would you compensate as Engi's don't have a lot of stability in Holo builds.

@Snellibee.2761 said:I agree with photon forge recharge, I don't get why literally every form of attunement changing on other classes is a 9s CD but for some reason Holo gets away with mere 6s? Changing it to 9 would reduce holo skill spam for sure

Might be because unlike other professions with that Ability, Engi has only one weapon set and all of its weapon skills are s*** except specific set-up scenarios, but definitely not sustain dmg worthy.

@"shion.2084" said:I think the problem with increasing the holo skills is that your generally intended to stay in Holo mode until your heat piles up. If you increase skill recharge on those skills, what skills do you have available to use? running around in auto attack waiting for your skills to show up again isn't going to play out. Also Corona burst is the source of stability for eng.'s, so how would you compensate as Engi's don't have a lot of stability in Holo builds.

^ I agree with that idea - I feel like the playstyle of a Holosmith revolves around balancing high heat and not reaching critical levels (unless you trait for it). My build has me constantly popping in and out of forge at red levels so that I keep gaining might. (Not to mention, reaching critical puts you on a much longer cooldown vs other transformation skills)

This feels quite different than something like Reaper's Shroud which gives an extra health bar + can earn more "time" due to life force draining skills. I don't think either is unfair, just that they were designed to work differently (and I hope with any future specs that may get a similar mode, the devs continue to make them feel unique rather than just "mesmer shroud"/etc).

I think Holosmith's flow feels good right now which is probably why the devs left it at that number. I hope that a decent level of balance could be achieved without needlessly gutting the flow of any particular profession!

In my wildest dreams, power balances could be fixed by improving "non meta builds". I was reading a discussion about how bad Guardian's hammer is and how it doesn't fit either a Power or Condition build model and instead does something different (and unoptimal) by trying to be a Control weapon (The main reason I used to love hammers). The game's mechanics don't really support wards in PvE or PvP. The game's mechanics don't really support tanking either. If the only options a player has revolves around high burst or fat stacks of conditions then it will feel obvious when one class can easily dish out big numbers vs another class (or in Elementalist's case, dish out high numbers while avoiding downed state). The only way to break this constant nerf/buff cycle is to give players other tools in fights and buff Utility builds.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:so adaptive armor would equal to 200 barrier per second, making it another dead gm trait.bulwark gyro is the problem, change it from self pulse to other allies.if holo leap cd was increased and heal turret nerfed, then holo would be fine.

200 barrier per second is like having a second healing skill in barrier on long fights. 200 HPS is where most healing skills are tuned to.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:so adaptive armor would equal to 200 barrier per second, making it another dead gm trait.bulwark gyro is the problem, change it from self pulse to other allies.if holo leap cd was increased and heal turret nerfed, then holo would be fine.

Bulwark gyro's mechanic is a problem, but adaptive armor is pretty stronk against non-spike builds. I'd like to see the other GM traits in the scrapper line more useful, because all scrapper is is a tank right now. IMO adaptive armor should have double the cooldown, and 33% more barrier. This would make it less able to withstand heavy pressure, better withstand spike, and still be good against condi.

• Kinetic Stabilizers using F-gyro is way too situation-specific. The 10% bonus is hard to trigger reliably without speccing specifically for stability, and the boost doesn't make such speccing worth it
  • Applied force often only works with specifically designed builds that are generally one-shot gimmicks.

I'd like to see these two GMs have more general purpose.

As for the other changes to holo in the OP...

• Holographic shockwave CD increase wouldn't change as much as you think it would, so by all means. The limiting factor on holographic shockwave is the heat generation, not the cooldown.
  • Corona Burst is needed to stay in melee range currently. Holos already get knocked around quite a bit with corona burst as is, and this would further hurt stability. If you increased stability duration to compensate, this might be justified.
  • Increasing the cooldown on Photon Forge would certainly be more punishing for people who spam, although it might limit playstyles as someone previously mentioned. I'm ambivalent on this.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

200 barrier per second is like having a second healing skill in barrier on long fights. 200 HPS is where most healing skills are tuned to.

its strong for sure. wouldn't mind a small nerf. with out this trait tho scrapper becomes useless again, since it cant hold off non dps classes nearly as well. its always been bulwark gyro and its dumb 8k barrier that has been pushing scrapper over the top.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Snellibee.2761 said:I agree with photon forge recharge, I don't get why literally every form of attunement changing on other classes is a 9s CD but for some reason Holo gets away with mere 6s? Changing it to 9 would reduce holo skill spam for sure

Might be because unlike other professions with that Ability, Engi has only one weapon set and all of its weapon skills are s*** except specific set-up scenarios, but definitely not sustain dmg worthy.

The CD is applied when a holo goes into photon forge, not when he leaves it. So the whole thing about engi's weapons being shit doesn't apply because theres close to no CD to go into Photon Forge, only to get out.

@Bazooka.3590 said:Scrap:Adaptive Armor recharge 3 -> 6

Holo:Holographic Shockwave recharge 15 -> 25Corona Burst recharge 6 -> 10Photon Forge recharge 6 -> 9

Thank you anet

Ok, guys. may be those CD are a bit short, but...-> How generate Heat without Photonforge and their skils?-> What is the point of Holosmith without Photonforge?If least half of those traits works out of Photonforge, i agree with larger CDs.