About buying a new PC

Hi!I'm going to buy a new PC. Now I'm running GW2 at AMD A8-7600 with Radeon R7, so my average FPS in open world Tyria is 30. In Lion's Arch it's getting worse to around 15fps.I would like to have 50/60fps in fractals or raids and be able to set high quality enviroment and character. Is GW2 CPU or GPU based game?

GW2 taxes a single core more than others so great single core performance is the best feature of a CPU to get high FPS in GW2. Which is why in many cases of bad performance setting max settings or lowest settings give the exact same amount of FPS. So get the CPU with the best single core performance you can afford, stay away of CPUs with multiple cores and lower speeds. Hope that helps.

GW2 suffers from a limiting CPU mainthread. The more single core performance you have the better. Nevertheless the game utilizes 6 cores @ ~ 90% usage in populated areas and mass combat like world bosses or wvw zerg fights. So you will see improvements when switching form a 4-core to a 6-core CPU in the mentioned scenarios.

If you want to buy a CPU mainly for GW2 then buy an Intel 6 core CPU that clocks as high as possible.

The i5 9400 and i5 9600 have good price/performance ratios for GW2 and more expensive CPUs will only give you about 10 to 20% more performance at much higher costs.

I do not recommend AMD CPUs for GW2 unless you do already have a Ryzen compatible AMD mainboard. If you have one, then get a Ryzen 5 3600 which has a signifcantly improved single core performance compared to previous Ryzen generations.

I would recommend the new 3rd Gen Ryzen. The R5 3600 single core performance is within 10 points better than the i7 8700K and i5 9600K and runs $199 US on Newegg. The X570 MBs start out in the same area and include PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVME support. If you want GPU, AMD's new RX 5000XT runs around $399 (stock cooler option only at the moment) and performs near RXT 2070 levels if not slightly better depending on the situation.

I run Gen1 Ryzen myself and get 40+ FPS in everything exect world boss zergs, where I get 25 FPS or so...which isn't too far from the norm.

@maddoctor.2738 said:stay away of CPUs with multiple cores and lower speeds. Hope that helps.

@KrHome.1920 said:I do not recommend AMD CPUs for GW2 unless you do already have a Ryzen compatible AMD mainboard

I'm not an AMD fanboy by any means (I use an i7-8700K for corn's sake), but Ryzen 3000, clock for clock, is faster than Intel's 14 nm CPU's at this point. Hardware Unboxed showed this by pitting the new Ryzen 8-cores vs. Intel's current 8-cores, both locked to the same frequency. I would not recommend an i5-9400 because six threads is pretty limiting outside of gaming, while with an R5-3600 you get twelve threads and significantly more performance. Hell, the R5-3600 is faster than my i7-8700K with its slightly lower clock speed. Ryzen 3000 just does more work per clock cycle than current Intel CPU's do.

If we were still on Ryzen 1000 and Ryzen 2000, I'd agree with you, but Ryzen 3000 is a game changer. Really, the only way I'm seeing people differentiate them is if you're using an RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti, and I'm sure the OP isn't ready to drop $1000+ on a GPU. Ryzen will give him equivalent gaming performance, and better non-gaming performance, for his apparent budget.

All of that said, these folks are conceptually correct. GW2 really only heavily leverages one to two cores at any given time. You want either a Ryzen 3000 series CPU (honestly any one of them will do), or if you want more performance than what Ryzen 3000 can offer, I'd skip the i5's and go straight for the i7-9700K or i9-9900K. Ryzen 3000 killed the current Intel 9000 series i5's.