Leveling advices

Aigleborgne.2981

I'm leveling a necro (currently level 17) and I am looking for advices.First, I don't play minions, not my cup of tea and I don't play easy mode.Second, I like to solo most champions in core tyria, so I need decent sustain.

My first question is power vs condition. I chose power but I wonder if it is the best choice.

Axe and dagger are mainly single target, which is terrible in OW. Shroud 4 and 5 are great AOE, and lifeblast if I can align foes (not easy usually, especially with ranged foes).Well of suffering is great but high cooldown.I consider lich as elite despite its reputation. (not many elites anyway).Finally, power allow me to have a strong downed attack (along with spite).I am seduced by the well trait in blood magic (because I'm also using well of blood and darkness for sustain). But death magic seems good too for sustain.

Condition seem easier with scepter dagger, great aoe, along with staff as control/dps.Also I feel that condi skills bring more sustain through cripple, weakness, and poison cloud projectile protection.Poison cloud, blood is power, all good utilities, and plaguelands as elite.As for attributes, I was thinking of viper. Extra power/precision is good for shroud 1, 4, 5.

Most people say power but here I'm not sure, necro is lacking aoe power weapon outside of reaper.

at lv 17, your build really doesnt matter. Just update your gear as you get drops and worry about it at lv80.

For most open world bezerker gear is best to kill enemies fast, however, soloing champs is slow, which would let condi gear shine. But viper gear is best for condi and you need hot expansion to access it.

You don't really need sustaining, more knowing when to dodge, block(warhorn), how to kite, use flesh golem as a sort of shield. Unless you're struggling to survive.

btw, elementalist, engineer a n mesmer are the hardest classes to play well. If you want something more challenging.

I would suggest getting expansions for elite specializations when you hit 80, core necro is very weak.

again, traits don't really matter right now, just experiment with them. When you hit 80, you can look into build

@Taygus.4571 said:at lv 17, your build really doesnt matter. Just update your gear as you get drops and worry about it at lv80.

For most open world bezerker gear is best to kill enemies fast, however, soloing champs is slow, which would let condi gear shine. But viper gear is best for condi and you need hot expansion to access it.

You don't really need sustaining, more knowing when to dodge, block(warhorn), how to kite, use flesh golem as a sort of shield. Unless you're struggling to survive.

btw, elementalist, engineer a n mesmer are the hardest classes to play well. If you want something more challenging.

I would suggest getting expansions for elite specializations when you hit 80, core necro is very weak.

again, traits don't really matter right now, just experiment with them. When you hit 80, you can look into build

Thanks for reply.Since a recent update, I have access to viper with item reward while leveling (I got all expansions).I won't use flesh golem as well, no minion.

You says berserker gear to kill enemies fast but I have the feeling of missing aoe skills, and often waiting for my cooldowns (well of suffering, shroud 4 and 5).

Most of my sustain comes from shroud if 4 and 5 are available. If not, it drops quickly vs 5+ foes.When facing 5 enemies at once (most of the times in OW), you have troubles if you kill enemies one by one, especially in events when numbers don't give you time to reload all cooldowns.This is why I think condi might be better for all points I said (easier to kite weakened/cripple foes).

I already have mesmer and ele. But I want to play necro right now ?.

And I disagree, build matters when leveling. Not a fully detailed build, but going on the right direction with synergy between attribute, traits and skills.Playing randomly will get you killed more often, and not beeing able to kill any champion.There is a life before reaching 80, and it matters to me, leveling phase is a full part of my character life and not a tutorial as some people say.

@KrHome.1920 said:gear unlock priorities for leveling:berserkerstaffdagger+warhornwellsspitesoul reapingblood magic

most important skills to kill and build up life force quickly:staff 4, dagger autoattack, shroud 1, 4, 5, well of suffering, well of corruption

You would advice staff for a power build? Its utilities are nice but wouldn't it better to use dagger/warhorn and axe/focus?

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:gear unlock priorities for leveling:berserkerstaffdagger+warhornwellsspitesoul reapingblood magic

most important skills to kill and build up life force quickly:staff 4, dagger autoattack, shroud 1, 4, 5, well of suffering, well of corruption

You would advice staff for a power build? Its utilities are nice but wouldn't it better to use dagger/warhorn and axe/focus?

Axe isn't that useful in open world, in dungeons yes, but I'd also recommend staff for open world, regardless of power or condi.

@Taygus.4571 said:

Axe isn't that useful in open world, in dungeons yes, but I'd also recommend staff for open world, regardless of power or condi.

Thanks, I'll try it then, just got a level 15 green staff.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

Staff is fantastic for leveling as it gives you utility, some damage and CC. However, when facing a champion, I would recommend switching to axe/focus. Axe gets a bit of a bad rap; skill 3, while slow, I find very useful for clearing trash in OW when they're at 25% health as the second hit will typically finish them off. And of course skill 2 is awesome.If you're adamant on no minions, I would recommend wells and spectral skills, maybe something like:Well of BloodSignet of SpiteWell of SufferingSpectral ArmorLich Form

Traits I would go for:Spite

• Spiteful Talisman (1)
  • Awaken the Pain (2)
  • Close to Death (2)

Blood Magic

• Quickening Thirst (2)
  • Vampiric Presence (2)
  • Vampiric Rituals (1)

Soul Reaping

• Unyielding Blast (1)
  • Soul Barbs (1)
  • Death Perception (2)

Once you get Reaper, drop Blood Magic for it but everything else remains the same trait-wise.

@Methuselah.4376 said:

Staff is fantastic for leveling as it gives you utility, some damage and CC. However, when facing a champion, I would recommend switching to axe/focus. Axe gets a bit of a bad rap; skill 3, while slow, I find very useful for clearing trash in OW when they're at 25% health as the second hit will typically finish them off. And of course skill 2 is awesome.If you're adamant on no minions, I would recommend wells and spectral skills, maybe something like:Well of BloodSignet of SpiteWell of SufferingSpectral ArmorLich Form

• Spiteful Talisman (1)
  • Awaken the Pain (2)
  • Close to Death (2)

Blood Magic
  • Quickening Thirst (2)
  • Vampiric Presence (2)
  • Vampiric Rituals (1)

Soul Reaping
  • Unyielding Blast (1)
  • Soul Barbs (1)
  • Death Perception (2)

Once you get Reaper, drop Blood Magic for it but everything else remains the same trait-wise.

Thanks for your explanation ?My problem with axe 3 is you need other weapon / skills to get 5 targets under 25%. Axe other skills don't help as single target. Assuming you can get them that low with well/shroud, either a part of your targets are already dead, either only a part are really below 25 and others might be around 25-30%.Without bonus damage, axe 3 seems average. Wish it was below 50%...

Regarding traits:

• spiteful spirits can a decent alternative? I like its concept more than a raw damage increase (which might be too good unfortunately)
  • Banshee's Wail seems good too, but Vampiric presence might be more steady

I really like Spectrals, I'm sad since they remove Spectral mastery.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

• Spiteful Talisman (1)
  • Awaken the Pain (2)
  • Close to Death (2)

Blood Magic
  • Quickening Thirst (2)
  • Vampiric Presence (2)
  • Vampiric Rituals (1)

Soul Reaping
  • Unyielding Blast (1)
  • Soul Barbs (1)
  • Death Perception (2)

Thanks for your explanation ?My problem with axe 3 is you need other weapon / skills to get 5 targets under 25%. Axe other skills don't help as single target. Assuming you can get them that low with well/shroud, either a part of your targets are already dead, either only a part are really below 25 and others might be around 25-30%.Without bonus damage, axe 3 seems average. Wish it was below 50%...

Regarding traits:
  • spiteful spirits can a decent alternative? I like its concept more than a raw damage increase (which might be too good unfortunately)
  • Banshee's Wail seems good too, but Vampiric presence might be more steady

I really like Spectrals, I'm sad since they remove Spectral mastery.

Spiteful Spirit is pretty much useless in PvE, that's a PvP trait. If you do not like Close to Death then pick Signets of Suffering so your Signet of Spite will give more power and that power stays when you're in shroud. Banshee's Wail is not worth it; warhorn has become a shadow of itself and while the unblockable stun is nice, you'd be sacrificing sustain and damage (meager though it may be) from Vampiric Presence for practically no gain.

Power strugges with multiple targets, condi struggles with killing stuff fast.

I would recommend condition build personally. Reason for it being simple - power tempts you too much into glass stats (berserker) which are NOT good for a necro. You don't have massive evade frames, block times or 0 damage taken per x seconds like other classes. You're expected to facetank stuff and out-heal/shroud it so you can't afford to be glass if 1v1 vs champs is your desire.

Once you're 80 you can go ham with power, because you get tons of free crit from high tier traits, and that was can skip tons of precision in your gear to get something tanky in your stats (think valkyrie/crusader/cavalier gear).

Condi on the other hands needs only two things to do it's damage - condition damage and expertise, and the latter can be replaced by condi duration runes until you hit 80 and unlock serious condi gear sets. That leaves much more room for tanky stats in your gear. Few very nice gear combos for condi necros:

Dire - condi damage (primary), vitality and toughnessShaman - vitality (primary), condi damage and healing power (great for self sustain).Carrion - condition damage (primary), vitality, powerApothercary & Settler - healing (primary for apo), toughness (primary for settler), condi damageTrailblazer (if you got HoT) - condi damage and tougness (both primary), expertise and vitality

If you are goind condi, be sure to take blood magic and use blood bond minor trait - it's a sick sustain tool for condi builds. Also nothing wrong with taking a dagger for it's life siphon if you chose a condi set with healing power in it.

Your main damage tool will be plaguelands , and epidemic for big mobs.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Power strugges with multiple targets, condi struggles with killing stuff fast.

I would recommend condition build personally. Reason for it being simple - power tempts you too much into glass stats (berserker) which are NOT good for a necro. You don't have massive evade frames, block times or 0 damage taken per x seconds like other classes. You're expected to facetank stuff and out-heal/shroud it so you can't afford to be glass if 1v1 vs champs is your desire.

Once you're 80 you can go ham with power, because you get tons of free crit from high tier traits, and that was can skip tons of precision in your gear to get something tanky in your stats (think valkyrie/crusader/cavalier gear).

Condi on the other hands needs only two things to do it's damage - condition damage and expertise, and the latter can be replaced by condi duration runes until you hit 80 and unlock serious condi gear sets. That leaves much more room for tanky stats in your gear. Few very nice gear combos for condi necros:

Dire - condi damage (primary), vitality and toughnessShaman - vitality (primary), condi damage and healing power (great for self sustain).Carrion - condition damage (primary), vitality, powerApothercary & Settler - healing (primary for apo), toughness (primary for settler), condi damageTrailblazer (if you got HoT) - condi damage and tougness (both primary), expertise and vitality

If you are goind condi, be sure to take blood magic and use blood bond minor trait - it's a sick sustain tool for condi builds. Also nothing wrong with taking a dagger for it's life siphon if you chose a condi set with healing power in it.

Your main damage tool will be plaguelands , and epidemic for big mobs.

Great! It sounds good. While power is tempting, I'm not so sure about its sustain.I have access to everything, I have looked at your combinations.Shaman seems good, very high health, nice scaling with shroud, decent condi damage, and high healing power (good synergy with blood magic).Should be average damage, but good cc and sustain.

You advice dagger main hand. Should be great with shaman, but you drop scepter (unlikely) or staff (which would decent aoe dps)?

Staff alone could outsustain dagger 2, no?

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

You would advice staff for a power build? Its utilities are nice but wouldn't it better to use dagger/warhorn and axe/focus?You use it only to spam your marks into a group of mobs, build some life force while doing so and switch to shroud right after everything is on cooldown.

When using it at the right time staff is better than axe for leveling as you want as much aoe as possible - which is very limited on core necro.

Don't switch to staff when shroud is on high cooldown as well. You have to camp on it for too long then minimizing your damage output.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Nimon.7840 said:I'd play power. Something like this:

Gives decent amount of sustain as well as good dmg.

Bad link !

Why is it a bad link?

Did you try it by clicking on it ? Well, just copy paste hash on gw2skills, then it works.Okay, you are using golem that I won't use. I like your choice of traited wells but it's your only AOE beside shroud.You are going for berserker, aren't you ? Your sustain only depends on staying inside your wells and I suppose it works well most of the times, but what about fighting champion assuming you don't have golem ?