Are true Flying mounts ever gonna come out in Gw2??

@LucianDK.8615 said:Theres completely no need for true flying. You could then bypass practically all content. With the limitations on the current mounts, you dont get to avoid everything and thusly making it more dependent on player skill to get the most out of them.

I can tell you for a fact that even before the Skyscale I could bypass any content I wanted to anyway.And even before mounts I could do the same.. just slower.

And furthermore, free flying would invalidate most mounts, which Anet doesnt want to. Whats the point of the skimmer if you could fly freely above water? So no, it will never happen.

This simply isn't true unless you had a flying mount that had the max speed of the Beetle.I can use the Griffon on pretty much any map to get to almost any location that was designed to be reachable with any other specific mount.Now I can use the Skyscale to get to literally ANY location on any map that I want to.. even breaking out of said maps if I wish.

Skyscale having the abillity to freely fly would literally not change anything about the game right now other than making flying a bit less tedious by removing the need to land on the ground and take off again every so often.If I wanted to, I could play the rest of Gw2 without ever having to use the Springer, Raptor, Skimmer, Warclaw or Roller Beetle ever again.Jackel, Skyscale and Griffon would be the only mounts I'd ever use unless another was added with a special skill i'd need.Most of the current mounts are already invalidated by the 3 I mentioned above anyway.. and the Jackel is only even in there because of it's portal ability and there being a handful of sealed locations that are only accessable by using them.

I could narrow that list down to just the Skyscale if I really wanted to push it as I can get just about anywhere in the game with that mount alone.. it's just slow to get there hence why it having free flying would't change the fact that many of the other mounts would still get from A to B faster than the Skyscale and that is what would keep them relevant.That's why people would still use a Skimmer over water.That's why people would still use a Raptor or Beetle.That's why people would still use a Griffon.

Free flying Skyscale would be for the most part exactly the same as it is now.. minus the inconvinience of being forced to the ground every few seconds.It would change nothing and it wouldn't allow you to do anything you can't already do with it right now.

I think a full flying mount would be possible, but with one huge restriction. Having its ability bound to a specific map that would be made with flying in mind. With being bound to a specific number of maps, we get flying and it won't interfere with the other mounts or gliding. So thinking about it I think we don't need a new mount for this, skyscale could fit easy in that position. Only problem remains, compared to a new mount skyscale is an optional mount not every body has access to.

I think it would be cool having a full flying map designed with no ground level. A map above the clouds or something like that. A flying city, Airships moving through the map, fight flying enemies and enter or destroy hostile airships.

Probably not as a lot of people seem to gloss over that in WoW, there are no portals between zones. I can go from Mulgore to Thunderbluff no problem. You could fly from Winterspring all the way down to Uldum as that was the way it was designed. With GW2, there's portals between all the zones, and why waypoints are a thing. Having a 'true' flying mount wouldn't make sense as you are confined to the map you are currently in. You can't fly down to Crystal Oasis from Desert Highlands. You have to take the portal connecting them or waypoint.So unless a massive overhaul of the maps themselves happen where portals are no longer necessary to traverse between them, 'true' flying mounts would feel like a waste of resources. And that kind of overhaul would be a lot of time, coding rework and funds that just aren't here for Anet. It is one of those, if you didn't start with it from the beginning, good luck implementing it later on. In that sense, that's why flying mounts are popular in WoW and it is because of the way they designed their maps to be fluid.Now there's no discounting that they may appear in the future however, I would believe if they did something like that, it would be an expansion feature. Until we get a yes or no on future expansions (Anet themselves said it was never ruled out), all we can do is spend the year playing the Icebrood Saga and see what happens next.

@"mikhail.3506" said:Seriously if there is one thing that is lacking in Gw2 it would be the ability to truly explore freely and the ability to fast travel while seeing the beautiful environments that the developers have created. We have Gliding mounts but I feel like Instead of having to use portals to fast travel, that adding flying mounts would add so much more to the game, in terms of replayability and gameplay wise.

pic9-guild-wars-2.jpg

Not only does it invalidate the other mounts, but also the maps weren't designed for it. I am a map breaker, I see all the bits that weren't meant to be seen. Having unlimited flight would further expose all the broken geometry and unfinished areas in the game reducing the immersion and cohesiveness of game play. They at the very least would need to redo all the barriers in the game. It wouldn't be worth the undertaking.

@Cobrakon.3108 said:

@"mikhail.3506" said:Seriously if there is one thing that is lacking in Gw2 it would be the ability to truly explore freely and the ability to fast travel while seeing the beautiful environments that the developers have created. We have Gliding mounts but I feel like Instead of having to use portals to fast travel, that adding flying mounts would add so much more to the game, in terms of replayability and gameplay wise.

pic9-guild-wars-2.jpg

Not only does it invalidate the other mounts, but also the maps weren't designed for it. I am a map breaker, I see all the bits that weren't meant to be seen. Having unlimited flight would further expose all the broken geometry and unfinished areas in the game reducing the immersion and cohesiveness of game play. They at the very least would need to redo all the barriers in the game. It wouldn't be worth the undertaking.

And they cant even hide it. Once you go up high enough you can see everything, even if its within the games boundaries still.

I don't think it will ever happen, but ...

I would look at limitations to put on the mount because you would take a person out of combat range.

• Use Ascended cooking to make something to entice the new mount to you for a limited amount of time (10 mins) not a permanent mount
  • Craft a Summoning Stone that feeds off of health for empowerment (costs more to go higher)
  • Summoning Stone with a cool down equal to two or three times the duration of the flight
  • Rent mounts from merchants across the maps for Karma, Volatile/Unbound magic, etc

Just my 2 Gems

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I would hope not unless its an Airship that I can fully customize the insides.

An airship (guild airship, anyone?) would be lovely. I'm not thinking of speed or skipping content so much as just cruising above the gameworld and admiring its beauty. The opening HoT cutscene where you ride Captain Kiel's airship to Elona is one of my favorites.

• 1 year later...

I am for a perma flying mount , you guys are thinking too small, as you can see Anet has added mounts with various expansions. Look at HOT = Gliding and bouncing mushrooms to get around, POF introduced the other mounts, each area is purpose build to accommodate the new mounts and bring new ways to explore the maps.You guys are talking as if a new player has an option of jumping straight to a air mount thus invalidating all the other mounts. Anet has implemented progression systems to earn all of these, now yes I know you may choose to do POF, then do the other stuff first with a boosted 80 , but so what? It is that players choice.I love the formula that they have implemented and apparently so do many of you, so let me ask this, why couldn't Anet introduce a perma flyer with a whole new region specifically designed for flying mounts ? they already have certain areas blocked off the all mounts, they could do the same for a real flyer. There are so many possibilities, I for one believe that it would be awesome. For those of you that still disagree maybe Anet could implement a requirement of having to finish all current campaign's before unlocking a flyer, For me personally after unlocking it I would love to be able to fly around everywhere because I have earned that right, and that wont stop me from using my other mounts from time to time when the mood arises.

the problem with this is that your expectations will be shattered by the sheer amount of invisible walls that will suddenly appear all over the game world, once you have permaflying, you will complain that everything around it needs to be improved too.

this is something that can only work in maps built to support it, and then all we'll get is puzzles involving never touching the floor or else you die.

@ReignOfDeath.9385 said:I am for a perma flying mount , you guys are thinking too small, as you can see Anet has added mounts with various expansions. Look at HOT = Gliding and bouncing mushrooms to get around, POF introduced the other mounts, each area is purpose build to accommodate the new mounts and bring new ways to explore the maps.You guys are talking as if a new player has an option of jumping straight to a air mount thus invalidating all the other mounts. Anet has implemented progression systems to earn all of these, now yes I know you may choose to do POF, then do the other stuff first with a boosted 80 , but so what? It is that players choice.I love the formula that they have implemented and apparently so do many of you, so let me ask this, why couldn't Anet introduce a perma flyer with a whole new region specifically designed for flying mounts ? they already have certain areas blocked off the all mounts, they could do the same for a real flyer. There are so many possibilities, I for one believe that it would be awesome. For those of you that still disagree maybe Anet could implement a requirement of having to finish all current campaign's before unlocking a flyer, For me personally after unlocking it I would love to be able to fly around everywhere because I have earned that right, and that wont stop me from using my other mounts from time to time when the mood arises.

You already have perma-flying mounts. You just switch between griffon and skyscale.

While I would welcome true flying mounts, I would do it in the same way they do mounts currently...it has to have a point. Even with the addition of the skyscale, people still ride their raptors or bunny or jackal, because they serve a purpose for specific function. This design was the reason I loved the mounts...they weren't just some speedwalk skin but a gameplay mechanic.

I see no point however in restricting them to a certain area...let people play. They already have mount restrictions in places that need them. Areas designed for the flying mounts...yes please.

pic9-guild-wars-2.jpg

I don't know how it's done, but this video shows that you can do incredible things with the griphon if you know how.

I see someone necro'd a thread...We already have "true flying" you can literally fly to the sky ceiling if you learn how to use sky scale and griffon, usually together. There is no where, that isn't invisible walled off, that you can't get to. Does it have a skill limitation? Yes. Its not point up and go endlessly, but it doesn't need to be and will never be.

New mount: Hot Air Balloon;

• You can only navigate straight up or down.
  • The environmental winds will guide you through the map.
  • See glittering shinies in the distance, out of reach, wondering what treasures might be hiding inside.
  • Engage in an adventurous collection to acquire your new hot air balloon.
  • Explore Guild Wars 2 like never before.

Have fun exploring, Tyrians!(Beware of stingy critters. Don't let them poke your balloon.)

@Tanith.5264 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I would hope not unless its an Airship that I can fully customize the insides.

An airship (guild airship, anyone?) would be lovely. I'm not thinking of speed or skipping content so much as just cruising above the gameworld and admiring its beauty. The opening HoT cutscene where you ride Captain Kiel's airship to Elona is one of my favorites.

The guild airship would indeed be nice, but for mount purposes I always thought it should be more personal to your character. For that, I think a snazzier Charr copter of some kind would be smarter. As for limitations, I think it should require a fuel item of some kind. You should be able to craft it (maybe from artificing, as that skill at least has you making fluids? 10 Extended Potions of Diesel!) at a reasonable but noticeable cost yourself, or buy it at a much higher price from large enough towns or fleet personnel stationed at some war zone bases. They could of course sell different Legion skins, or a more Asura-themed exo-suit kind of skin, etc.

As for the exploratory value of true flight mounts... OP have you been high up on the edge of any maps? Frankly one of the most disappointing things you can do in this game is to find a perch high up on the edge of a map and look over to the other side and see nothingness. I think the limitation on map size and the inability to at least simluate being able to view adjacent maps from the edge is the biggest visual limitation of this game.

to not invalidate the skyscale mounts or griffon mounts, they could add sky born gusts of wind that recharge everything as if you were doing skyscale energy collections, the more you hit the longer you can stay in the air...think of it like hitting refreshing rings in Spyro...then just allow zone walls in the sky that spawn you in the sky in the next zone.

@Batel.9206 said:Most likely not, because that would immediately invalidate all other mounts.

I'd argue that it wouldn't. The skyscale and griffon don't invalidate other mounts and the two of them together is pretty close to a single flying mount.

Why use a raptor to jump across long distances? Just fly over it.

You can already do this with the griffon, skyscale, and Jackal to some extent.

Why use a skimmer to go over water? Just fly over it.

Skimmer is also the only mount to be able to traverse underwater, it'll still have its uses.

Why use a springer to jump high? Just fly up to it.

People already ignore the springer in favor of the skyscale. Honestly, I don't blame them as the skyscale is an easier to use and control mount that gets about the same amount of height.

Why use a griffon or skyscale at all? Just fly.

Over long distances, Griffon > Skyscale. Over height distances, Skyscale > Griffon. A flying mount would not be able to out pace a Griffon over a long enough distance.

The only mount that would still be slightly relevant is the rollerbeetle because of its insanely fast speed...but even then you have to carefully navigate around obstacles in the terrain - so you may as well just fly and avoid all the hassle.

Roller beetle is great for instant speed if you know how to control it. Otherwise Griffon > Roller Beetle.

And then there's the fact that true free exploration would still be impossible - you'd be boxed in by the confines of the map. As expansive as those maps are, you'd eventually run into invisible walls, or unexpected loading screens for crossing map boundaries into the next map. It'd limit exploration quite a bit.

So? You can already hit those invisible walls without mounts. Just let the people fly up as high as they want and explore.

@Sir Alymer.3406 said:

And then there's the fact that
true
free exploration would still be impossible - you'd be boxed in by the confines of the map. As expansive as those maps are, you'd eventually run into invisible walls, or unexpected loading screens for crossing map boundaries into the
next
map. It'd limit exploration quite a bit.

So? You can already hit those invisible walls without mounts. Just let the people fly up as high as they want and explore.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, and I even agree with this last bit too. However, I think you being correct about this also indicates why a true-flight mount would be a waste - they wouldn't really add anything. People can already hit the map walls, and even scale most of them with a springer. As you said, other mounts are already invalidated, and they could easily design a flying mount that can still be outperformed by griffon laterally and perhaps the skyscale vertically (if the grip-recharge mastery still allows skyscale to get greater total height).

So if it neither adds or removes anything really of note, why bother at all? As others have already said, skyscale already has ways to refill flight, and some of us learned how to really fly with the griffon on maps that allow for it. just seems like another wasted effort.