Photonic Blasting Module doesn't work with the new Toolbelt Lockout

Xyonon.3987

100% Agree with this post. Being locked out of toolbelt skills for half the rotation completely kills what versatility the PBM build had. Now the rotation is more rigid than ever and doesn't reward skilled play. I really hope they go back on this awful and completely unnecessary change. Rifle holo has been my favorite build since PoF launched; I just want to enjoy and feel rewarded for playing it well again.

Holo was already being shadowed by better dps classes and builds in both fractals and raids. I really can't understand what they were thinking when they changed PBM. Others here pointed out all the problems with the change and I really hope they will revert the change so that the spec is at least playable. Feels bad as Holo main being crippled like this ;(

Really anet, thief 35k dps, holo at 31k (wich is NOT good, just ok), and then you nerf it not only with dps drop (not fine, but could live with it) but you kill the whole dynamic feel of the profesison by killing toolbelt skills (wich are a MUST have for CC and other stuff, it's what makes engineer dynamic). Rifle auto attack, sword auto attack and bomb auto attack now must have at least 30% more damage, just to make up for this. Pre-patch holo made up with it, by overheating, spamming skill in the correct time window, and rotation cooldowns well. Now you can't make up anything, the weak holo 1 auto attack, wich kills the use of holo mode quite a bit is barely worth it, to burst into the 3-4 dps combo of holo.

Terrible patch Anet. You don't play the game, you don't play raids. I feel like there's a new guy in town, with this very principal idea of 'this is what balance should be', but at same time he's kililng the fun, usability, flexibility of the classes in game (IF i had to pick a number onf reason for being pissed at game and maybe leaving it, it's stuff lif like kiling playability of a class. Nerf numbers, ok (you can always fix back), but kill a dynamic fun to play class? Are you out of your mind! Do you know how few elite specs are actually a succes in pve (fun to play wise)? Very few tbh. And with recent 'principal elite spec nerfs', you killed even more. How will you make the new elite specs even succesful? Same like you killed druid. Glyphs are fun to play but totally crap. Same like you killed chrono (fun to play thing) with last 7 nerf patches. Arenanet I urge you to stop this. There's a better way for balance.

PS the current amount of nerfs will make raids a lot harder, especially for new people, the KP requirement will be even worse then before. What is your goal arenanet? really, i must know.

Thanks for forcing me to search other classes for fractals (and i must be honest, that list grows thinner then ever).

Fun times to play gw2 (not). And 'fun' is the definition of what makes a game a game. Stop the principal crunching arenanet and bring back the fun to classes (adjust numbers only please!).

Engineer patch notes are absolute works of art. I really gotta hand it to ArenaNet. From the game's early days to now, it's been a master class in intellectual trauma. It's as if I learned how to play a piano, and I wake up one morning and every piano has had its keys rearranged, the strings tuned differently, and I've gotta learn it all over again. They came up with a full Scrapper rework and decided to preface it with "oh btw, we are also gutting the Holo" in a single line. And gut it they did. Bravo. It is nothing but consistency. I still remember the pain of Kit Refinement's change and spending 2 gold (which was a lot to me back then) just on changing my traits around to find out what fun even meant.

My solution to my PBM problems was to literally just swap to Scrapper only to realize that we also lost 3000 HP in the process. I don't even know how I skipped over that change when I read it. So now I just play Mirage because seeing confusion hit 20k ticks against rapid firing world bosses is amazing.

No idea why Photonic Blasting Module wasn't updated to shield the Holosmith from being Toolbelt locked, just like it shields the Holosmith from direct damage and prevents loss of heat therapy.

Photonic Blasting Module is supposed to remove the drawbacks of overheating. This is more of a bug than a feature. Expecting fix

@Chaith.8256 said:No idea why Photonic Blasting Module wasn't updated to shield the Holosmith from being Toolbelt locked, just like it shields the Holosmith from direct damage and prevents loss of heat therapy.

Photonic Blasting Module is supposed to remove the drawbacks of overheating. This is more of a bug than a feature. Expecting fix

Agreed, either a bug or a big time oversight.

Coming back from the golem again, I have to say the Enhanced Capacity Storage Unit rotation is truly amazing. Since I assume there won't be any gameplay / mechanics changes until the next balance patch (as those normally require a company to to talk to each individual dev team), I'd say "ok just leave it how it is for this patch", however what they easily can do is increasing a modifier for us to gain ~15% dmg in order to keep up with the other dps specs in pve (as a band-aid fix). Best would be to do this in explosives, as this won't affect pvp (unused traitline there mostly), as Holo is already quite strong there.

@Chaith.8256 said:No idea why Photonic Blasting Module wasn't updated to shield the Holosmith from being Toolbelt locked, just like it shields the Holosmith from direct damage and prevents loss of heat therapy.

Reason why I don't think this is simply oversight is because this is just too huge of a change. It's clear they wanted a downside that actually mattered and this really does matter a lot. Letting PBM go free would make just about every Holo run PBM, if you weren't running it already.

@Nilix.2170 said:

Reason why I don't think this is simply oversight is because this is just too huge of a change. It's clear they wanted a downside that actually mattered and this really does matter a lot. Letting PBM go free would make just about every Holo run PBM, if you weren't running it already.

But the change to overheating was intended to punish PvP players. So either they're lying, incompetent, or both.

@Nilix.2170 said:

Disagree. In competitive PvE content every Holo was already running PBM. In other game modes Holos don't overheat, so this nerf doesn't really affect them - continue to use Vent Exhaust or ECSU.

This nerf should be to raise the stakes on non-PvE holos heat management, not simply ruin PvE Holo for fun as a side effect.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

But the change to overheating was intended to punish PvP players. So either they're lying, incompetent, or both.

Was the meta ECSU? Even then, they probably didn't want it to end up as "Everyone migrates to PBM to get around this pretty big change" and kept it across the board.

@Chaith.8256 said:

This nerf should be to raise the stakes on non-PvE holos heat management, not simply ruin PvE Holo for fun as a side effect.

If this is really the case, then maybe I can look forward to a fix... a year from now.

@Nilix.2170 said:

@"Chaith.8256" said:No idea why Photonic Blasting Module wasn't updated to shield the Holosmith from being Toolbelt locked, just like it shields the Holosmith from direct damage and prevents loss of heat therapy.

Was the meta ECSU? Even then, they probably didn't want it to end up as "Everyone migrates to PBM to get around this pretty big change" and kept it across the board.

The PvP meta has always been Thermal Release Valve. ECSU has never had a place in either game mode except in niche builds.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@"Chaith.8256" said:No idea why Photonic Blasting Module wasn't updated to shield the Holosmith from being Toolbelt locked, just like it shields the Holosmith from direct damage and prevents loss of heat therapy.

The PvP meta has always been Thermal Release Valve. ECSU has never had a place in either game mode except in niche builds.

Now it's probably the more consistent PvE choice but still abysmally bad compared to basically every other class.

Yea from what I've seen the patch has risen like condi Weaver, power Berserker, good ol' DH n DE etc, we're in need of ~15% more damage to be in their range. That's really really a lot.

I also disagree that PBM was too strong or too meta in PvE. The ESCU was not too far behind - yes it was behind - but point is, you don't have to punish the meta if it means reducing complexity and fun, you have to make the traits defining. PBM still needs to gain toolbelt lockout immunity, but it doesn't need to be buffed further. ESCU then however needs a small buff on it's own, like 50% of Lasers Edge's modifier to work out of forge in general (which won't affect PBM) just to make the harder rota slightly the better. No need to crush either of them.

And then, after that we need those general ~15% damage increase. Make Lasers Edge 20% (30% if traited), make it grant 50% of that bonus out of forge in PvE only, finally make Orbital Strike a useful power trait by straight up adding a 10% modifier on top of it, etc etc. There are many easy number changing ways to fix it, but regardless how they fix the issue, we can all agree on one thing:

It's important that we get those ~15-20% more damage before the next balance patch. Engi / Holo has been too weak for way too long now and that last patch was just a kick in the nuzz. :(