Character Creation Customization Question - Heterochromia

Hello,

I was wondering, if we had received a statement (way back then) as for why Heterochromia (different eyes pigmentations) is not a thing in Guild Wars 2?

I'm hypothesizing that it comes from the game's old engine.But I was searching if there was an actual statement on the matters. Would have been nice to have a character with two differents eye colors.

Thank you for your time!

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Who would notice?

Well, a fair amount of people I have been talking to who also wished it was a thing, most of the people that plays for the Fashion Part of the game, rather than the "intended" end content.

It's the same as length of nose, ears, and horns. Unless it's an extreme no one will look twice.

Unfortunately yeah...

Looking for things that may make the characters more like you see them is great, but I don't think it's a thing in this world.

If it is Lore-based that the "condition" is unexisiting, I can understand.

@WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:I was wondering, if we had received a statement (way back then) as for why Heterochromia (different eyes pigmentations) is not a thing in Guild Wars 2?Why would it be a thing? It's an uncommon phenomenon in humans.

Regardless of lore, it's impossible to offer every conceivable option in character creation. There's a limited number of artists with time to create (and support) a limited number of features. Why would two colors in the eyes be a more important feature to add than sliders for facial features (rather the the current hunt & peck), why would heterogeneous eyes be more important than asymmetrical noses or more facial hair? Or more smiles in the facial options?

I've got nothing against the feature. On the contrary, I've used it in other games and it can be a lot of fun. I just don't see that it's surprising in the least that this isn't in the game.

There was a point in time when even custom eye colors were impossible (ironically, at that time there were Charr face options that had blue-yellow heterochromia; mirrors of each other).

We know that they can modify and tweak numbers of dye channels per item, so it could be possible for certain headgear skins to replace eye color (similar to the Gaze masks), or attach the extra channel to a specific face or setting. All I'm saying is, it might be possible.

I'm all for more customization options, even seemingly trivial ones like this... though I don't see it rating highly on a cost/benefit ratio compared to, say, new armor skins or outfits. That would make it a very low priority, if its in the queue at all...

@Trise.2865 said:I'm all for more customization options, even seemingly trivial ones like this... though I don't see it rating highly on a cost/benefit ratio compared to, say, new armor skins or outfits. That would make it a very low priority, if its in the queue at all...

I could see a fair amount of people actually buying some Total Make Over Kits to not delete their toons, if the option was newly available (since the Self-Style-Hair Kit doesn't do the eyes).

But you do have fair points, other than that, it's a lot of cost in developpement, I concur.

@WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:

@Trise.2865 said:I'm all for more customization options, even seemingly trivial ones like this... though I don't see it rating highly on a cost/benefit ratio compared to, say, new armor skins or outfits. That would make it a very low priority, if its in the queue at all...

I could see a fair amount of people actually buying some Total Make Over Kits to not delete their toons, if the option was newly available (since the Self-Style-Hair Kit doesn't do the eyes).

But you do have fair points, other than that, it's a lot of cost in developpement, I concur.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Who would notice?It's the same as length of nose, ears, and horns. Unless it's an extreme no one will look twice.Looking for things that may make the characters more like you see them is great, but I don't think it's a thing in this world.

I'll have you know I always zoom my camera in 100% so that I can see mine and other toons eye colours when engaged in mass combat situation with max character limit set ......Best thing to use is the bloodstone glary eyes cos you can see them from the front and the back of the head making a real "look into my eyes and despair" statement to those world bosses. :)

All joking aside ... is it really so important to have devs spend time and resource on something as unneccecary as dual eye colours, really??

There honestly probably isn't any reason in particular. I imagine a certain amount of time was allocated for the development of the character creator, and if the developers had thought of different eye colours, it may well have been passed up in favour of finishing the customization system for a more noticeable feature on time. I don't doubt that it's possible to do, but someone would need to develop it, including making sure the data is correctly stored/loaded and the feature is bug tested, and doesn't break anything existing.

@WyvrnRipsnarl.5918 said:

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Looking for things that may make the characters more like you see them is great, but I don't think it's a thing in this world.

If it is Lore-based that the "condition" is unexisiting, I can understand.

There's definitely not a lore-based reason it's unavailable, at least for charr: Torga Desertgrave has heterochromia.