Why give raiders and fractal players so much more attention than pvp and wvw?

@"Danikat.8537" said:I suspect part of the reason WvW so rarely gets new maps is because when one has been added WvW players hate and avoid it. When Edge of the Mists was being developed it was tested by WvW guilds and apparently got some really good feedback, with lots of excitement about the new mechanics like destructible bridges and different power-ups at different keeps. But when it was released it was almost immediately declared a "PvE" map for karma farming and nothing any self-respecting WvW player would ever have anything to do with.

Then the Desert Borderlands were added, again introducing new mechanics (some from Edge of the Mists, some entirely new) and WvW players complained so much the planned rotation system and the idea of adding further new maps was scrapped and it became one optional Borderlands which is almost always the least populated.

Honestly after that I'm not surprised Anet are in no rush to create any more new WvW maps for players to complain about and avoid. (As you may be able to tell I'm disappointed - I actually prefer the Desert Borderlands and I'd like to see more of a variety of maps because running around and around the same 3 places (counting the two Alpine Borderlands as 1) taking over the same keeps and towers and camps over and over gets boring. But I can understand that it's just not worth the time and effort required for something the majority of the target audience refuses to play.)

About the only changes to WvW which have been tolerated are the addition of reward tracks and WvW abilities, so I suspect that's the route any future development will take - adding small, optional mechanics one at a time so players have plenty of time to get used to the change.

Pretty much this. While players say they want new and interesting maps and mechanics, what they really want is No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination. For anyone who doesn't get the meme, it is a reference to Super Smash Bros. Melee. The game itself is meant to be a chaotic, King-of-the-Hill, arena fighting game. But, the more competitive players hated that aspect and wanted it to play like Street Fighter. So, these players would play with no items of any sort, only using top tier characters (Fox), and only on a featureless, flat map (Final Destination). It got so bad that in later games, Nintendo just made it a feature to transform all stages into a re-skinned version of Final Destination.

It's the eternal conflict between being competitive and being interesting.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I suspect part of the reason WvW so rarely gets new maps is because when one has been added WvW players hate and avoid it. When Edge of the Mists was being developed it was tested by WvW guilds and apparently got some really good feedback, with lots of excitement about the new mechanics like destructible bridges and different power-ups at different keeps. But when it was released it was almost immediately declared a "PvE" map for karma farming and nothing any self-respecting WvW player would ever have anything to do with.

Then the Desert Borderlands were added, again introducing new mechanics (some from Edge of the Mists, some entirely new) and WvW players complained so much the planned rotation system and the idea of adding further new maps was scrapped and it became one optional Borderlands which is almost always the least populated.

That is completely different from the series of events that I read. Which involves people telling ANet about problems with the design of the two maps. ANet ignored the feedback, released the maps with the problematic elements in place. The problems that they were told about happened. People hated the maps.

@Luthan.5236 said:Cause they buy the skins for gems they bought with real money. These types of players always will get the most attention. And I guess working people that only login 1 or 2 hours every day will buy a lot of new content and skins related to new Living World story stuff. (Also they have the money - when they work a lot.)

I agree with this Luthan. I am such a player.

On another note, is there any way we can have solid statistics on the activity by player populations in Open World, Raid, Fractal, PvP, and WvW?

It would be good to know so that we can add a statistical layer to this discussion, and it would give us the ability to make calculations for monetary gain per mode.

@beatthedown.2651 said:The real question would be, why LW is getting this much attention. Are players who log in every three months to play the story really spending that much gems?

Honestly... Probably.

I would assume that the casual players that take a month+ to finish their LW chapter and its accompanying meta achievements DO account for the proportional majority of gemstore sales. Casual gamers as a whole have much more disposable income to spend on things like this, and then you add to that the fact that things like the raid chairs and legendary armor skins aren't a reality for them... It just makes sense.

Most of my friends don't spend hardly any real money in GW, because if a gemstore shiny comes out that they want, they have plenty of gold to convert from farming, raid sales, and playing the market.

@XYLO.7031 said:

@Luthan.5236 said:Cause they buy the skins for gems they bought with real money. These types of players always will get the most attention. And I guess working people that only login 1 or 2 hours every day will buy a lot of new content and skins related to new Living World story stuff. (Also they have the money - when they work a lot.)

On another note, is there any way we can have solid statistics on the activity by player populations in Open World, Raid, Fractal, PvP, and WvW?

It would be good to know so that we can add a statistical layer to this discussion, and it would give us the ability to make calculations for monetary gain per mode.

Not really. Last time ANet gave some stats was roughly 90 something percent plays PvE and 30 something percent plays PvP/WvW(they were rolled into a single group) and I think it was around 60 percent that does both. That sort of data is not very clear.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Not really. Last time ANet gave some stats was roughly 90 something percent plays PvE and 30 something percent plays PvP/WvW(they were rolled into a single group) and I think it was around 60 percent that does both. That sort of data is not very clear.

Thanks for the response. It explains a lot. I do kinda feel bad that that all the hardcore PvP and WvW people are neglected, but then again, I mained core engi since pre-expac gw2 and like the beetle mount (which has the least amount of skin purchases as stated on another thread I read). Neither are getting any real love lol.