Feelings about the legendary runes/sigils

So by now everyone is aware of how much they cost, i'm just curious to know what do you think about its price and the absence of auras/effects. I myself believe the price is not bad since 2k+ gold is the expected to any legendary , but they generally have the mix of utility, skins and effects while the runes/sigils right now have only utility.

Would you change something ?

I definitely wouldn't want them to have auras. I've made 2, soon to be 3 legendary weapons purely for how they look but I can reskin them if I ever wanted the functionality without the effects or swap to a different weapon set relatively easily. Plus the majority of legendary weapon effects are on the weapon itself, not in a cloud around your character. If legendary upgrades had effects it would have to be something around the character since they have no model of their own and unless they re-worked the UI it would be something you couldn't turn off or hide unless you stop using the runes.

I do think they could do with being cheaper since they're invisible (so literally no cosmetic benefits, not even comparable to WvW and PvP legendary armour which have the same skins as their precursors) and since the usefulness is limited, especially for people who already have legendary armour - who I imagine will be the most likely players to make them.

I'm not especially concerned about the cost myself, because if I ever decide to make them I'll do it no matter what, but I have to admit hearing that they're so expensive is one reason I'm not planning to make them any time soon.

For those using ascended gear, I've tried to compare the material/coin costs and the amount of clicking required:

Costs

• The endless upgrade extractor is trading at around 2000 gold (https://www.gw2tp.com/item/86497)
  • A single legendary rune includes 474 gold in materials, of which ~120g comes from charms & lucents. A set of six would cost ~2850g (~2200g without the charms/lucents).

Convenience

• With extractor: reserve a slot for each type of rune. Mouse-actions-per-build-change: ~26 (open extractor, drag+extract each gear, open hero panel, select each piece+replace rune)
  • With legendary runes: no slots for runes needed. Mouse-actions: ~19 (open hero panel, select each rune, scroll to find stat, select, confirm)

Additional note:The extractor also works on all upgrades and all infusions, whereas there are no legendary infusions. (Downside: it's all/nothing; to replace one item, you have to reslot all the others, too).

edit: added an extractor benefit/detriment, per the suggestion of @Irbis.4932

I didn't vote because the issue for me isn't the material cost, it's the lack of convenience. It's a lot of effort to obtain and it won't make inventory management a lot easier.(I don't think they should have auras, although I wouldn't mind being allowed to slot an infusion or something.)

• It costs more for even one character than using the upgrade extractor.
  • It's only modestly more convenient (it's still around a dozen mouse actions)
  • It's only good for a single character

If I was on the fence, the clover requirements (20 mystic clover per rune) make the decision easy: unless there's a user-friendlier source of clover, it's not at all worth the effort.

What would push me in the other direction:Potentially, build templates/loadouts that can swap upgrades stats on the fly. That convenience depends heavily on the implementation.

It was really hard for me to pick between 'fine' and 'should be cheaper'. I would have preferred a 'surprised it's so expensive' option . . .

It's fine as is bc it is totally optional legendary content completely unaffiliated with the game in any way. But I'm surprised it's so expensive bc I can't imagine that many ppl would be interested in making them . . .

I'm ok with the price...........only if it's for something else better like armor or weapon not runes/sigils, heck you can even swap runes/sigils on legendary gears without destroying them, some people stick to 1 type of rune for every classes build and there are cheap account bound exotic armors. So yea, I won't bother with something so expensive while there are cheap alternatives.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:For those using ascended gear, I've tried to compare the material/coin costs and the amount of clicking required:

Costs

• The endless upgrade extractor is trading at around 2000 gold (https://www.gw2tp.com/item/86497)
  • A single legendary rune includes 474 gold in materials, of which ~120g comes from charms & lucents. A set of six would cost ~2850g (~2200g without the charms/lucents).

Convenience

• With extractor: reserve a slot for each type of rune. Mouse-actions-per-build-change: ~26 (open extractor, drag+extract each gear, open hero panel, select each piece+replace rune)
  • With legendary runes: no slots for runes needed. Mouse-actions: ~19 (open hero panel, select each rune, scroll to find stat, select, confirm)

Interesting comparison. One thing I would add to conveniences is that the extractor also works with sigils and infusions - which is both pro and con and could add to clicks for putting for example infusions back.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

I'm curious, because I don't have legendary runes/sigils yet (and probably never will), can you change the rune/sigil stat while they are on the weapon or you need to extract them first?

. + aside from provisioner tokens, only requires gold (play how you want, no requirement). + timegated provisioner tokens are straightforward to get

. - the quantity of gold per rune/sigil seems excessive compared with eg legendary armour. - running around to faction provisioners every day is purely tedious.

For the first negative point, I'm hoping they do something to reduce the price of the mystic aspects/motes once this releases properly - eg increasing drop chance of charms or other sources maybe when LW5Ep1 releases or something. And maybe reducing mystic clover cost slightly to be on par with something like legendary armour.

For the second negative point - I wrote down a system for myself to get at least 8 easy/cheapest ones every day - but it's still tedious nonsense. In any case I accept this as it is, given that's the process for a lot of time gates in this game, and the provisioner tokens are not difficult to get.

I will very likely make a set of runes at some point - hence currently stockpiling provisioner tokens to bypass the time gate when I get to that point, and at least don't have to think about them aside from this - just let gold roll in until having enough.

@"Curunen.8729" said:For the first negative point, I'm hoping they do something to reduce the price of the mystic aspects/motes once this releases properly - eg increasing drop chance of charms or other sources maybe when LW5Ep1 releases or something. And maybe reducing mystic clover cost slightly to be on par with something like legendary armour.

For the second negative point - I wrote down a system for myself to get at least 8 easy/cheapest ones every day - but it's still tedious nonsense. In any case I accept this as it is, given that's the process for a lot of time gates in this game, and the provisioner tokens are not difficult to get.

I will very likely make a set of runes at some point - hence currently stockpiling provisioner tokens to bypass the time gate when I get to that point, and at least don't have to think about them aside from this - just let gold roll in until having enough.

Quite hard to reduce mystic aspect/mote price now as it is mainly based on the cost of charms and symbols ( that haven't changed significantly even after the announcement), but they surely could reduce the amount of clovers needed ( it is just ridiculous to ask for more than even a legendary armor) or change the recipe to use other things than gift of condensed might/magic (hardly since those gifts are the trademark of the legendaries).

Unlike almost everyone i would be happy with just an aura or footprints giving a "unique" aspect to the runes, but surely prefer a reduced price w/o auras.

@Curunen.8729 said:. + aside from provisioner tokens, only requires gold (play how you want, no requirement). + timegated provisioner tokens are straightforward to get

. - the quantity of gold per rune/sigil seems excessive compared with eg legendary armour. - running around to faction provisioners every day is purely tedious.

For the first negative point, I'm hoping they do something to reduce the price of the mystic aspects/motes once this releases properly - eg increasing drop chance of charms or other sources maybe when LW5Ep1 releases or something. And maybe reducing mystic clover cost slightly to be on par with something like legendary armour.

If you buy enough Christmas bags you technically are not timegated for tokens.

@yann.1946 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:. + aside from provisioner tokens, only requires gold (play how you want, no requirement). + timegated provisioner tokens are straightforward to get

Oh? :o You mean they drop in wintersday gifts or something?Edit - Oh I get what you mean - charged quartz drops from wintersday gifts.

In any case I should likely have enough for full set of runes and sigils before then with 10 mins running around each day, even if on average logging in half of a week.

@Hynax.9536 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:For the first negative point, I'm hoping they do something to reduce the price of the mystic aspects/motes once this releases properly - eg increasing drop chance of charms or other sources maybe when LW5Ep1 releases or something. And maybe reducing mystic clover cost slightly to be on par with something like legendary armour.

Quite hard to reduce mystic aspect/mote price now as it is mainly based on the cost of charms and symbols ( that haven't changed significantly even after the announcement), but they surely could reduce the amount of clovers needed ( it is just ridiculous to ask for more than even a legendary armor) or change the recipe to use other things than gift of condensed might/magic (hardly since those gifts are the trademark of the legendaries).

Unlike almost everyone i would be happy with just an aura or footprints giving a "unique" aspect to the runes, but surely prefer a reduced price w/o auras.

I dunno they could do things like introduce a vendor in a new map that trades them for some other account bound currency or something (unlikely, just thinking a random example off top of my head).

I reckon the condensed might/magic is there to stay, but yeah agree that mystic clovers could be reduced to say 10 per rune/sigil.

@Curunen.8729 said:

Oh? :o You mean they drop in wintersday gifts or something?Edit - Oh I get what you mean - charged quartz drops from wintersday gifts.

In any case I should likely have enough for full set of runes and sigils before then with 10 mins running around each day, even if on average logging in half of a week.

Yeah, I forgot they were called wintersaygifts. Ofcourse gifts are an unreasonable way to go about it but it's funny that we technically have no timegate anymore.

@Curunen.8729 said:For the first negative point, I'm hoping they do something to reduce the price of the mystic aspects/motes once this releases properly - eg increasing drop chance of charms or other sources maybe when LW5Ep1 releases or something. And maybe reducing mystic clover cost slightly to be on par with something like legendary armour.

I dunno they could do things like introduce a vendor in a new map that trades them for some other account bound currency or something (unlikely, just thinking a random example off top of my head).

I reckon the condensed might/magic is there to stay, but yeah agree that mystic clovers could be reduced to say 10 per rune/sigil.

I personally would like vendor which gives then more then a reduce in amount needed.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

I'm curious, because I don't have legendary runes/sigils yet (and probably never will), can you change the rune/sigil stat while they are on the weapon or you need to extract them first?

According to Reddit posts, no... not yet.

https://redd.it/cl2mu1You can't change legendary runes while they're slotted.You have to take them out, then put them back in and while you're putting them in you have to select the rune set.

However, those reporting the issue suspect that it's a bug, because the interface "makes it look like you can change ...while slotted."

I understand that they are a legendary and legendaries are expensive, but as you said, legendaries also have the added bonus of visual effects/skins/etc. That's a huge reason that people make legendaries and without it these are essentially a half legendary, so they shouldn't cost as much as a full legendary. I'd honestly be fine with either lowering the cost and leaving them without an aura, or actually giving them an aura and not touching the crafting method. Doubt anything will change but that's just my 2 cents.

@Ototo.3214 said:I understand that they are a legendary and legendaries are expensive, but as you said, legendaries also have the added bonus of visual effects/skins/etc. That's a huge reason that people make legendaries and without it these are essentially a half legendary, so they shouldn't cost as much as a full legendary. I'd honestly be fine with either lowering the cost and leaving them without an aura, or actually giving them an aura and not touching the crafting method. Doubt anything will change but that's just my 2 cents.

The sigils cost ~500g or two for 1000g, which is roughly half the cost of legendary weapons. The runes cost ~450-475g, which is currently around 30% more than the cost of legendary armor pieces.

Why on earth does cost 500-ish gold to make ONE signle rune/sigil? Thats 3k for a full set... thats more than a legendary weapon.The price is way too high and should absolutely be lowered to about 150-200 gold per rune/sigil (around 1k for a full set MAXIMUM)