Would you buy the Armistice Bastion Pass and the Warclaw Skins if it is on offer this Anniversary?

EremiteAngel.9765

If they do add it to this year's anniversary sales, it might not get as much of a discount if it's going to follow last year's trend.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Anniversary_SalesI was planning on getting armistice bastion, but char slot is always my primary aim. I don't care for the mount skins, they probably won't make an in game reward skin for it either, and if they do it will just be one less than mediocre one. I mean, they could've done one for glider too but they choose to encapsulate that idea with warbringer and not an additional standalone one. I don't think there will ever be Warclaw skins obtainable outside of gem store, and they will most probably always be sold as packs too. That's just the way the wind blows here.

Through, if we have a huge discount on mistlock sanctuary can be tempted. Warclaws are just recolors. Well bastion is a bastion.Last year passes got -40% So can hope! Still it's 600 gems instead of 1000!Character slots are also always the priority for me.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Still not sure why I'd buy a pass to an area that only has the advantage of talking to other people in WvW, pretty sure that's what friends list and party chat is for. Mount skins would be nice, but honestly I'd rather see the arcane sniper rifle skin come back in the gem store before mounts.

it was back not too long ago actually, the arcane rifle

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Still not sure why I'd buy a pass to an area that only has the advantage of talking to other people in WvW, pretty sure that's what friends list and party chat is for. Mount skins would be nice, but honestly I'd rather see the arcane sniper rifle skin come back in the gem store before mounts.

it was back not too long ago actually, the arcane rifle

I know, I just found that out. Bloody annoyed with it actually, as it was a three day sale and I was at work for a total of 45h across those three days. Didn't see it at all.

I wouldn't mind, but I requested it in the gem store thread prior to the patch as well. Would be nice if the sale lasted longer than 72h.

Cosmetics just aren't my thing and I've never really seen the point of the special zone passes, so these items just aren't for me. Also I spent the gems I had when bank tabs went on sale recently, and I'm not likely to buy more gems while the gold-to-gem conversion rate is elevated by the August sales . . .

Already have Armstice pass, Warclaw is a joke if the only way you can buy one skin is that you need to buy 6 (like I could use them all at once, why arent we selling outfits in packs of 3 or so then, hm?). If they make another Warclaw skin thats gonna look cool and price it for 2k, im gonna buy it. But if the only option is 6 skins for 2k then Im sorry, im not taking part in this clown contest of money making.

There was a recent thread on the GW2 Reddit discussing the monetization/purchasing patterns of so-called "Whales". While certainly not a spender to any such absurd degree I can say that when I do purchase gems in GW2 my behaviour is very similar as to what was described. I tend to buy gems when the developers do something positive and I tend to motivate that as being more or less open to support different directions they take. I see it as a freely given investment into my own fun. For example, I bought a sizable chunk of gems when Ray posted the Alliance 2 update. I have stubbornly stayed away from buying gems since the Warclaw was announced and I am refusing to pay for server transfers even though my friends are spread all over the game now and I am actively hampering my own fun and enjoyment of the game by refusing to transfer after those who actively play together. While it concerns my own fun, it is not freely given, it is extorted. It means I have to pay to play with my friends in what is supposedly a social online game. That makes it mandatory for WvW and is actively hurting the product because players quit social online games over not getting to play with their friends and people can't start playing social online games if they can't play with their friends. That is WvW right now.

So it is definately a somewhat stupid principle that ends up hurting me but at the same time, the root of the doing isn't mine, hopefully it will change soon (the only real value left in the Alliance iniative) and in general I tend to respond poorly to extortive, unfair and "predatory" business practises. I am willing and able to support good moves and I am trying to speak against bad moves with my wallet, whatever drop in the bucket my business is to Anet. In this day and age, that is the only metric they understand so I try to practise it myself without necessarily being invested enough to try to influence others. I would have no qualms with people who would try to influence others in that regard though, it's often tempting to have a few words with the player who flashes a fancy new warclaw skin ;) .

However, one thing is for sure. With GW2 Anet was a company that for quite a long time managed their monetization in a relatively fair way. I often defended them when the topic came up in various places. What we've seen in recent years is them losing that balance however and we can see them throwing their product away for cheap short-term gains to a higher degree now. The WvW transfers ARE de facto ruining the game mode now, they have just spiralled out of control and the new outfit that just tramples all over both gem- and ingame items of the same theme while only being a gamble item (aka. SpaceTT's) makes Anet's recent behaviour no better than the other devils out there. For me that is the big deal breaker in this decade-long era of microtransactions. I take no major exceptions to them if managed ethically where they are treated as a mean towards producing the product. When companies deal in them at the expense of the product however, we have a problem. The focal point of the game is then no longer the game. The gaming studio does first and foremost no longer produce a game. That's the big crisis of identity that the industry will face going into the next decade.