Loot/rewards idea

Why doesn't ANet tie some specific weapons and such to certain maps? It is not game breaking for players to map complete the straits of Devastation and receive an Orrian weapon of their choice. Revamping map rewards would encourage players to revisit old maps and play for certain weapons or items they like. It also would not be difficult to exoticize some rewards such as the Shiverpeak and Krytan sets. It is a common complaint that loot is too randomized in this game which I agree with. If players know for certain that they're guaranteed an Etched weapon or a Corrupted weapon from completing Frostgorge then they absolutely will carrot on the stick those maps.

@Zenakou.7853 said:Why doesn't ANet tie some specific weapons and such to certain maps? It is not game breaking for players to map complete the straits of Devastation and receive an Orrian weapon of their choice. Revamping map rewards would encourage players to revisit old maps and play for certain weapons or items they like. It also would not be difficult to exoticize some rewards such as the Shiverpeak and Krytan sets. It is a common complaint that loot is too randomized in this game which I agree with. If players know for certain that they're guaranteed an Etched weapon or a Corrupted weapon from completing Frostgorge then they absolutely will carrot on the stick those maps.

I'm not sure that skins that are already common are the kind of carrot on a stick you are thinking it would be.

Besides many maps since core have had weapon sets tied to them and are purchased with the currencies from those specific maps.In a way your idea has been in place since Dry Top.

I didn't mean those skins specifically, I was just throwing out ideas to make map completion or revisiting some old areas more exciting. Tribal, Orrian, Ceremonial etc. are easily bought of course, but sexier weapons like Infinite Light or Spirit Links are not. They could of course adjust the caliber of item I just would like specific rewards tied to some maps like you see in other games.

Core maps already offer specifically weekly rewards. Expansion maps offer metas/AmGems. LS3&4 maps offer their own specific rewards.

The problem with any of this is: once you play long enough, you get all those things and not only is there no reason to return, there's now a reason to be sick of the place. Unless a map is intrinsically fun, no amount of reward (generic or specific) is going to be enough.

People don't return to the Silverwastes because it's fun; they return because they can get good gold/hour without much effort. Easy gold isn't an answer, either, because people go to the best rate/hour, ignoring anything perceived as worse or more effort. (Look how quickly Istan was dropped, even though its gold/hour is good, just because it can't be done regularly.)

That doesn't mean ANet can't or shouldn't consider different rewards for maps; it just means that there's a limit to its effectiveness in addressing the problem stated in the originating post.

@"Zenakou.7853" said:I didn't mean those skins specifically, I was just throwing out ideas to make map completion or revisiting some old areas more exciting.

If you didn't mean those specific sets (the Orrian, Krytan,Shiverpeaks) sets. Why did you explicitly reference those?Infinite Light or Spirit Links are not.Oh I see, another "better loot for less effort" thread.

If I understood your first post correctly, I think the suggestion is a good idea, i.e. that you get to choose what weapon you're rewarded with when you complete a map, rather than getting a random weapon that, in many cases, your profession probably can't use. I think you already get weapons from regional sets from map completion, at least some of the time.

Then somehow your suggestion became about this:

@Zenakou.7853 said:sexier weapons like Infinite Light or Spirit Links

But those weapons aren't region-specific. In fact, they never drop as loot anywhere. So now I'm confused about what you're suggesting.

It's a shame that GW2 is designed as a game that only feels fun to play for rewards (hence the many complaints about the lack of a proper rewarding system). Maybe the devs should have a look at that and do a better job at providing more atmospheric content and better stories. Living World episodes, for instance, play like instant soup instead of a gourmet meal.

They already do this, but in the base game it's done by region. Each one has at least one weapon set which is only found there:

• Glyphic and Verdant in the Maguuma Jungle (core game jungle)
  • Aureate & Modniir in Kryta
  • Norn in the Shiverpeaks
  • Steam and Flame in Ascalon
  • Orrian in Orr

Then there's unique weapon and armour sets for each dungeon, the Elonian and Sunspear weapons in PoF maps and numerous sets purchased with currencies specific to one area or crafting with things only found in certain maps (like the Ambrite weapons in Drytop).

It does provide some players an incentive to go back and play on those maps after completing them, but not everyone is going to care about all the skins so the impact is limited. Unless you like the ambrite weapons, for example, the possibility of getting an Unidentified Fossilized Insect from a chest in Dry Top won't be appealing to you and won't be an incentive to go back there.

@Ashantara.8731 said:It's a shame that GW2 is designed as a game that only feels fun to play for rewards (hence the many complaints about the lack of a proper rewarding system). Maybe the devs should have a look at that and do a better job at providing more atmospheric content and better stories. Living World episodes, for instance, play like instant soup instead of a gourmet meal.

Exactly - the atmospheric content. You get rewarded with everything going to wherever, so why bother choosing a specific map? Yeah, it's an instant soup. Tastes good when you're hungry, but once you eat it, no enjoyment is left.