in twitch.Why are there few people watching Guild Wars 2?

@Hashberry.4510 said:I'd rather not play with folks who can't focus on the game. What a joke.

I'd say thats dependent on the game mode they are playing in, no?

PvP sure.

General PvE though? Doesn't require much attention. I've done meta event farms and the whole way through them I was able to keep up with a show I was watching on Netflix on my other screen.

@"Trise.2865" said:See, WoW, Final Fantasy, ESO, and other games take very little actual concentration to play and do well. These are games one can turn their brains off, for the most part, and let their personalities shine over the gameplay. Guild Wars requires a much heavier investment; paying attention to spacial and environmental cues in order to not die. Even WoodenPotatoes struggled to "shoutcast" his videos, long after he'd recorded them.

wha??? the very reason i play GW2 and still playing is i'm able to turn my brain off, by holding down the 1 key with a pebble and walk off to watch a movie

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:See, WoW, Final Fantasy, ESO, and other games take very little actual concentration to play and do well. These are games one can turn their brains off, for the most part, and let their personalities shine over the gameplay. Guild Wars requires a much heavier investment; paying attention to spacial and environmental cues in order to not die. Even WoodenPotatoes struggled to "shoutcast" his videos, long after he'd recorded them.

wha??? the very reason i play GW2 and still playing is i'm able to turn my brain off, by holding down the 1 key with a pebble and walk off to watch a movie

Maybe just stick to the movie?

@knomslayer.9457 said:So this Asmongold guy have 239k viewers on twitch yesterday streaming world of warcraft classic. Yes 239k viewers. I repeat 239000 kitten viewers! (and yes i typed kitten not the f word). Im just confused how on earth 239k people watching this guy play the game and leveling but dont play the game themselves.. For me, I got bored and left the stream after watching him play for 10 minutes. Im confused. Gw2 leveling is more entertaining to watch than classic wow questing in my opinion so gw2 why not gw2 streamer have more viewer????? hmm

Because not everyone thinks the same as you or enjoys the same things as you.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@knomslayer.9457 said:So this Asmongold guy have 239k viewers on twitch yesterday streaming world of warcraft classic. Yes 239k viewers. I repeat 239000 kitten viewers! (and yes i typed kitten not the f word). Im just confused how on earth 239k people watching this guy play the game and leveling but dont play the game themselves.. For me, I got bored and left the stream after watching him play for 10 minutes. Im confused. Gw2 leveling is more entertaining to watch than classic wow questing in my opinion so gw2 why not gw2 streamer have more viewer????? hmm

Because, and you might want to sit down for this, many of them are likely watching him stream
and
they are playing
at the same time

Oh and also what you perceive as more entertaining isn't what others perceive as more entertaining. Also not to mention WoW tends to have more worthwhile content to watch whereas GW2...doesn't.

Teapot's stream the other day pulled in 17k viewers at its peak but it was an event he was running, with special rules and prizes; all of which not promoted by ANet and also GW2 doesn't
directly
facilitate similar gameplay or content within the confines of its own mechanics and system. Teapot had to set it all up himself, including figuring out the rules for it as well as needing to use a mod to better spectate the participating guilds.

As much as I am not inclined to watch others play a game, I dont even look up video guides for content, I do consider it an unfortunate missed opportunity to have demonstrated engagement with the community on ANet's part. They didnt need to do much, a shout out on the launcher, perhaps some gems or BL keys, added to the prize pool, or something requiring similarly negligible effort on their part.

This could have simultaneously increased the perception of involvement with the community, supported some community driven marketing, and have demonstrated that the company does communicate all in one. I am not arguing that ANet has to participate in this sort of thing, but I am saddened by the missed opportunity.

I really do not see how participating in this event, even peripherally, could be anything but positive.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Because, and you might want to sit down for this, many of them are likely watching him stream
and
they are playing
at the same time

Oh and also what you perceive as more entertaining isn't what others perceive as more entertaining. Also not to mention WoW tends to have more worthwhile content to watch whereas GW2...doesn't.

Teapot's stream the other day pulled in 17k viewers at its peak but it was an event he was running, with special rules and prizes; all of which not promoted by ANet and also GW2 doesn't
directly
facilitate similar gameplay or content within the confines of its own mechanics and system. Teapot had to set it all up himself, including figuring out the rules for it as well as needing to use a mod to better spectate the participating guilds.

As much as I am not inclined to watch others play a game, I dont even look up video guides for content, I do consider it an unfortunate missed opportunity to have demonstrated engagement with the community on ANet's part. They didnt need to do much, a shout out on the launcher, perhaps some gems or BL keys, added to the prize pool, or something requiring similarly negligible effort on their part.

This could have simultaneously increased the perception of involvement with the community, supported some community driven marketing, and have demonstrated that the company does communicate all in one. I am not arguing that ANet has to participate in this sort of thing, but I am saddened by the missed opportunity.

I really do not see how participating in this event, even peripherally, could be anything but positive.

Anet was more than willing to support it and even offered to. It essentially came down to having Anet support or using the 3rd party cam tool. Both would not happen as that would essentially end up being the equivalent of Anet condoning that tool.

@Ashen.2907 said:

and
they are playing
at the same time

directly

I can't help but think people would then complain that they're forced to watch Twitch or YouTube or pick-program-of-choice to get rewards... maybe I've spent too much time reading the official forums and r/GuildWars2.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Because not everyone thinks the same as you or enjoys the same things as you.

And that's the answer to the OPs question. Most part of the GW2 community obviously couldn't care less about Twitch. And that's totally fine.I have a cool similar question: Why have more ppl seen The Twilight Saga than The Witcher Trilogy Twitch streams?

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@"knomslayer.9457" said:So this Asmongold guy have 239k viewers on twitch yesterday streaming world of warcraft classic. Yes 239k viewers. I repeat 239000 kitten viewers! (and yes i typed kitten not the f word). Im just confused how on earth 239k people watching this guy play the game and leveling but dont play the game themselves.. For me, I got bored and left the stream after watching him play for 10 minutes. Im confused. Gw2 leveling is more entertaining to watch than classic wow questing in my opinion so gw2 why not gw2 streamer have more viewer????? hmm

and
they are playing
at the same time

directly

I can't help but think people would then complain that they're forced to watch Twitch or YouTube or pick-program-of-choice to get rewards... maybe I've spent too much time reading the official forums and r/GuildWars2.

The only complaint I have seen from people about any such Twitch Drop thing or reward made available during a specific stream is "Its happening outside of my time zone I won't be able to get it" or "I won't be around that day" which are unfortunate circumstances in any scenario where thats a factor, but there are benefits to it that outweigh the few people that will unendingly whine about it. A majority of people will get over it, especially if its a recurring thing there will be more than just one opportunity.

If people aren't interested in watching Twitch or Youtube that's fine...whatever. However, from what I've seen on these forums many of their reasons for not doing so are seemingly due to their own negatively perceived assumptions of Streamers. Not true for all, but its what I've seen a number of people say already; paraphrasing "I'm not gonna watch some person streaming a video game just for the attention and money".

1) I've asked this before but...how much money do people think Streamers make? Not all of them are Pewdiepie or Ninja...2) Would they say something similar about a comedian? Actor? Any other similar entertainer? Streamers/Youtubers are entertainers, even if in some small capacity.3) Am I to believe that people on these forums, or elsewhere, are going to attempt to shame and insult other individuals because they were able to, or are trying to, make a legitimate living off of something that they love and are passionate about?