in twitch.Why are there few people watching Guild Wars 2?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ultramex.1506 said:I feel that GW2 needs a review from big youtuber

It did. TotalBiscuit, Angry Joe, Jesse Cox, several Yogscast channels, Boogie2988, Day9, Cryaotic, Markiplier, the list goes on. Even that [insert derogatory term] PewDiePie got in on the action. Some of them were chased out by community inability to accept (or give) criticism.

GW2 got more than enough reviews and most of them were positive. Unfortunately all of them were from the release version and during the honeymoon period of the game, so many things changed. The expansions had very few reviews

And so far, the only review from big youtuber i've seen so far is LazyPeon

I don't really buy the arguments of GW2 being easier/better to play than watch as the sole reason. It's certainly true, but doesn't explain why GW2 viewership is so consistently low when you take into account similar MMOs like ESO have a viewership 5-10x larger. Not WoW, not FF, but games of a similar audience base and reputation within the market. Even BDO has a viewership of 10x GW2. I feel like GW2 attracts a lot of players who don't like interacting with people outside of structured and "safe" constructs. Like a guild. The game makes it very easy to be a solo player in a world full of other solo players where you never have to interact or be held accountable for anything unless you really want to.

So it follows naturally that people of this sort don't see the value of community oriented platforms like twitch. Not saying twitch is perfect, or that it doesn't have downsides, or that people have to be interested in it. But it's one thing to say "I'm not interested in watching streams" to "anyone who even watches streams at all must be a loser" which seems to be a semi-common sentiment going by this thread.

Here's an idea: Guild Wars 2 is very hard to banter over.

See, WoW, Final Fantasy, ESO, and other games take very little actual concentration to play and do well. These are games one can turn their brains off, for the most part, and let their personalities shine over the gameplay. Guild Wars requires a much heavier investment; paying attention to spacial and environmental cues in order to not die. Even WoodenPotatoes struggled to "shoutcast" his videos, long after he'd recorded them.

That would explain why the GW2 Twitch streamers are struggling for viewership, because they're so lifeless-feeling. Yes, all of them. You can all do better. Even Rubi, whom I respect the heck out of, and Lord knows she tries harder than most. It's too easy to get lost in playing/concentrating on this game... which is not a bad thing on its own, but not as entertaining to watch.

That, by the way, is what separates great Twitch streamers from the merely okay ones. Consider this a challenge, streamers! It's time to raise the bar! You can be and do better! Show them, show us, show the world why you deserve to be one of the greats!

Edit: Oh, and to answer the WoW question: because it's in the news right now. WoW Classic is in full hype mode (despite... well, you'll see it when it happens), so streamers are latching on to that to get more visibility, and hopefully attract more audiences to grow their channels.

@"Trise.2865" said:Here's an idea: Guild Wars 2 is very hard to banter over.

See, WoW, Final Fantasy, ESO, and other games take very little actual concentration to play and do well. These are games one can turn their brains off, for the most part, and let their personalities shine over the gameplay. Guild Wars requires a much heavier investment; paying attention to spacial and environmental cues in order to not die. Even WoodenPotatoes struggled to "shoutcast" his videos, long after he'd recorded them.

That would explain why the GW2 Twitch streamers are struggling for viewership, because they're so lifeless-feeling. Yes, all of them. You can all do better. Even Rubi, whom I respect the heck out of, and Lord knows she tries harder than most. It's too easy to get lost in playing/concentrating on this game... which is not a bad thing on its own, but not as entertaining to watch.

That, by the way, is what separates great Twitch streamers from the merely okay ones. Consider this a challenge, streamers! It's time to raise the bar! You can be and do better! Show them, show us, show the world why you deserve to be one of the greats!

Edit: Oh, and to answer the WoW question: because it's in the news right now. WoW Classic is in full hype mode (despite... well, you'll see it when it happens), so streamers are latching on to that to get more visibility, and hopefully attract more audiences to grow their channels.

Any time I play PvE on GW2 my brain shuts off. That is not something the GW2 is not also "guilty" of, because it is. Open World events, especially meta events, don't require that much conentration, Fractals aren't much different, Raids are the only exception and even then that just requires figuring out the boss rotations.

"requires a much heavier investment" Eh...

Also I assumed you meant PvE, as in PvP thats a different story entirely for any of those games regardless of your opinion of them.

@Drakz.7051 said:Probably because the story isn't that great, PvE is just following a train and you can even just auto attack events and end up finishing them with gold.

WvW and PvP would be where you'd bring in the viewers but these two modes are on the back burner.

Agree, wvw and pvp would be the only things worth watching or entertaining. Nobody really cares if someone finished a fractal or raid in this game.Unfortunately wvw and pvp just don't get enough attention. Even when pvp had leagues it was poorly managed and lack of balance and updates erodes followers very quickly.Heck, you can't even have a match-up thread in the wvw forums, lol. How can you have a reason to fight if you can't have a little banter amongst foes?No rivalries no team to pull for....kinda makes things meh.

Simply put, it's an MMO. MMOs generally can't accumulate enough interest on Twitch. They're of a slower pace than other fast paced genres. Those that somehow do, still can't put numbers or buzz like MOBAs, RTS or FPS games. Those are fast-paced genres, which reflects what Twitch, and social media in general, is about...fast, buzz and clicks. But honestly...is that gw2 needs?....I'm sorry, but Twitch, like all social media, is merely a hype machine for advertising brands and products as well as a cesspool of cyber courage, as well as the internet itself. Social media is pretty much sold to us as a 'cool kids club', so to speak. Like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, if you're not getting views....you ain't jack, you ain't good enough!

I don't see Twitch as something this game needs, I see it as a blessing.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:Here's an idea: Guild Wars 2 is very hard to banter over.

Any time I play PvE on GW2 my brain shuts off. That is not something the GW2 is not also "guilty" of, because it is. Open World events, especially meta events, don't require that much conentration, Fractals aren't much different, Raids are the only exception and even then that just requires figuring out the boss rotations.

Also I assumed you meant PvE, as in PvP thats a different story entirely for
any
of those games regardless of your opinion of them.

Riveting arguments like this are why there can't be rational discussion.

But by all means, show on your stream how much simpler GW2 is.

@Trise.2865 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Here's an idea: Guild Wars 2 is very hard to banter over.

Also I assumed you meant PvE, as in PvP thats a different story entirely for
any
of those games regardless of your opinion of them.

Riveting arguments like this are why there can't be rational discussion.

But by all means, show on your stream how much simpler GW2 is.

Well sadly the last time I streamed anything remotely relating to PvE on GW2 was well over a month ago and Twitch doesn't hold vods for longer than that when you're only an Affiliate. I drew in more viewers playing PvP than I did if I even bothered to stream PvE stuff. I would link you my stream, but I feel uncomfortable doing that here as it isn't the place to just inadvertently advertise my stupid freakin' channel amidst all this streamer talk just to "prove" something to some random person for the sake of this discussion.

But short of video or stream reference the most I can provide you is an explanation, so bear with me here.

GW2 PvE hasn't amounted to requiring very much concentration. Jumping into really any Open World event, especially any large Meta Event, and you can quite literally get through it by just mashing your 1 skill. Maybe the occasional dodge roll, but as effects requiring a dodge are typically telegraphed by a giant orange indication on the ground I wouldn't push that too far as needing "concentration". Fractals might require a bit more attention, but in the grander scheme of things it isn't by much more. Once you get the recommended AR for any particular Fractal scale it really just amounts to avoiding the telegraphs and DPSing the enemies and most telegraphs I would argue don't necessarily even require a dodge roll.

Raids are the most involved, likely requiring the most attention out of anything in the game, but even then the point being made of "it requires so much concentration that they can't commentate or interact" feels kind of flimsy because there are "shotcallers" or people directing things during a Raid. Not to mention sometimes it can just boil down to whether or not someone has their rotation down just by pure muscle memory rather than needing to devote their entire attention to making sure they get their rotation right.

PvP out of all of them might require the most attention as rather than any fight being scripted or the player themselves needing to simply maintain their rotation, which they may likely have the muscle memory already developed for, it has the most unpredictable circumstances that anyone as a player would need to react to. However even then there have been streamers in the past, like TubbyTwoTon, who would actually be able to commentate on what they were doing and how they were going to react to a given situation during a fight.

Really it boils down to player capability, and also, in the case of streamers, the learned skill that many streamers have to develop. Commentary and engagement. As well as being entertaining. I imagine some are still learning that, hell I know I'm still learning, but there are streamers like Teapot who I've seen have done pretty well with it.

So while you might view GW2 streamers as being "so lifeless-feeling" that could very easily be chalked up to personal preference as clearly hundreds of people find Teapot worth watching, as well as any other streamers hitting really any viewer count worth mentioning in the context of GW2. Which usually amounts to like...70+, Teapot's viewer count typicaly being the highest out of any of them. I mean I'm about 60% sure part of the only reason why I even got to the like 20 or so viewers I could pull in with GW2 WvW roaming was because if I hit like 9 or 10 viewers, depending on time of day, I would be in the third row when you search for GW2 streams.

You may like the game, I like the game, other people like the game, but lets not ignore the reality here. GW2 hasn't done as well as it could in the realm of streaming because of its content. People quite literally enjoy watching people grind mobs for hours on Black Desert online more than they like watching GW2. People like watching FFXIV Raids, Normal difficult and beyond, more than they like watching GW2.

CGGnfHO.pngQnKRaZ4.pngaV1eK3o.png

Not going to lie, streamer personality is a factor here. However I wouldn't sell some of the GW2 streamers short as I don't doubt a number have the capability to grow more...its just GW2 doesn't give them much to work with as content creators. Thats why so many have left or moved on.

@sorudo.9054 said:it's twitch, not even worth thinking about.

Just because Twitch isn't a blip on your radar doesn't mean it isn't for others.

It would be silly to ignore the part that Twitch plays gamer culture just in general.

GW2's lacking presence on Twitch isn't an implication that the game is dead, but I do think it is an implication that GW2 has had some pretty bad marketing and advertisement strategies for the game, even ranging as far back as when it released.

I find the fact that GW2s streamers have either moved on, will move on, or have had such difficulty growing beyond where they are might be a little telling as to where GW2 stands in the current era of games and how little it has evolved since release. Whereas you have a game like Warframe which is the same age as GW2 and how it has evolved drastically over the 7 years of its existence. Its content creators are supported, promoted and interacted with by the developer themselves constantly and in depth, with them appearing on the streams of their content creators, or in videos, as well as other means.

@"KryTiKaL.3125" said:CGGnfHO.pngQnKRaZ4.pngaV1eK3o.png

Not going to lie, streamer personality is a factor here. However I wouldn't sell some of the GW2 streamers short as I don't doubt a number have the capability to grow more...its just GW2 doesn't give them much to work with as content creators. Thats why so many have left or moved on.

Streamer personality is the only factor here. I can name four reasons Final Fantasy XIV has these numbers. They're all well-established, Maker Studios channels that were around LONG before any of these games even came out. Some before Twitch even existed. They are themselves living proof that quality creators can make solid content out of literally anything.

Believe it or not, I get it. Streaming is hard. That was the whole point. And to reiterate the point again: far too many streamers, even some of the... let's call them "popular" channels, simply aren't up to par as content creators... at least not yet. Blaming it on the games, any game not just Guild Wars, is about as strong an argument as blaming the controller or keyboard.

You got me on BDO though. Makes absolutely no sense. Must be the fanservice. People do love their anime tiddles, don't they?

@Trise.2865 said:

@"KryTiKaL.3125" said:
CGGnfHO.pngQnKRaZ4.pngaV1eK3o.png

Streamer personality is the
only
factor here. I can name four reasons Final Fantasy XIV has these numbers. They're all well-established, Maker Studios channels that were around LONG before any of these games even came out. Some before Twitch even existed. They are themselves living proof that quality creators can make solid content out of literally anything.

Believe it or not, I get it. Streaming is hard. That was the whole point. And to reiterate the point again: far too many streamers, even some of the... let's call them "popular" channels, simply aren't up to par as content creators... at least not yet. Blaming it on the games, any game not just Guild Wars, is about as strong an argument as blaming the controller or keyboard.

You got me on BDO though. Makes absolutely no sense. Must be the fanservice. People do love their anime tiddles, don't they?

Don't get me wrong, there is for sure a lack of "personality" streamers for GW2, most of which can't match up against others for other games. However I feel like they can't really flex those muscles, or work on them, because of how limited of an audience GW2 has for streaming. Just look at this thread, all of the judgment and insults and what, to me, honestly looks like envy or just a severe lack of understanding.

Teapot has done quite a bit for the GW2 community, mostly those whom watch him because of the crowd that he seems to cater to. I'm not even a fan of the guy, like at all, but I can accept the reality of his presence or that of anyone else whom does anything similar. The thing is that the game doesn't really offer those opportunities and its disappointing. Like I touched on indirectly in my previous post, other games seem to support their content creators in such a way that it can stimulate content and their games even provide avenues for it. That isn't the case with GW2 or ANet. The most you see them do these days is promote an artist, and as much as they deserve the support what about the others? Teapot has run an arguably fairly large Raid event almost 3 times now and ANet hasn't gone anywhere near promoting it. Player run PvP tournaments have happened, they've been posted about on the forums and reddit, ANet hasn't promoted those either.

I don't watch Twitch simply because I rather be playing the game myself. I've found myself on twitch streams interacting with a streamer before in several games. I have nothing against them on the whole. Some of them I enjoy playing with, some of them I can't stand because they are too busy mugging for their stream and repeatedly make bad plays (had this happen in a few shooters).

As for GW2 not being very Twitch friendly?

The game is very action oriented and the skills create chaos. If someone is playing at a high level the camera is constantly in motion and you may only see an attack go off, get dodged, then some random effect on the ground for a few seconds. It is less interesting to watch because knowing what is going on is harder to read unless you are also a player and knowledgeable of all the classes and skills. Where as an FPS you have the guns and, typically only one or two skills you need to ever remember, making it a much easier thing to just watch. The other MMOs that are twitched more successfully aren't action oriented, they are a 'slower' game pace and that makes it easier to keep track of what is going on. FF for example has very long cooldown times on skills making it much easier to watch. WoW has a list of people that no longer play but are nostalgic enough to watch it, and the skills are once again going off slower compared to GW2 creating less visual chaos.

GW2 is a game that streamlines a LOT of things, precisely to make it easier to do things and get around. This makes it a great game to play, but a less interesting game to just watch.As an aside, the streamers of GW2...aren't the most charismatic ones. If you just listen to them, they aren't nearly as interesting as MANY FPS streamers. Less surprises/reactions...and less good banter too. They talk about the game and such but it came across as rather dry when I looked into it.

I watched several videos this week for light in darkness and Kingslayer Queen’s gauntlet achievement.

There is usually not hard enough content that requires watching a YouTube video but this was one of them. It’s also extremely useful to watch PvP videos for builds or general PvP knowledge.

But the truth is that most of the GuildWars 2 community tends to skip the game’s harder content, and complain when it’s too hard for them.

Take the Skyscale launch, oh no it takes too long and too much effort to get the newest mount !

@Runiir.6425 said:I don't watch Twitch simply because I rather be playing the game myself. I've found myself on twitch streams interacting with a streamer before in several games. I have nothing against them on the whole. Some of them I enjoy playing with, some of them I can't stand because they are too busy mugging for their stream and repeatedly make bad plays (had this happen in a few shooters).

As for GW2 not being very Twitch friendly?

The game is very action oriented and the skills create chaos. If someone is playing at a high level the camera is constantly in motion and you may only see an attack go off, get dodged, then some random effect on the ground for a few seconds. It is less interesting to watch because knowing what is going on is harder to read unless you are also a player and knowledgeable of all the classes and skills. Where as an FPS you have the guns and, typically only one or two skills you need to ever remember, making it a much easier thing to just watch. The other MMOs that are twitched more successfully aren't action oriented, they are a 'slower' game pace and that makes it easier to keep track of what is going on. FF for example has very long cooldown times on skills making it much easier to watch. WoW has a list of people that no longer play but are nostalgic enough to watch it, and the skills are once again going off slower compared to GW2 creating less visual chaos.

GW2 is a game that streamlines a LOT of things, precisely to make it easier to do things and get around. This makes it a great game to play, but a less interesting game to just watch.As an aside, the streamers of GW2...aren't the most charismatic ones. If you just listen to them, they aren't nearly as interesting as MANY FPS streamers. Less surprises/reactions...and less good banter too. They talk about the game and such but it came across as rather dry when I looked into it.

That still doesn't address Black Desert Online or Elder Scrolls Online. Both of which have action cameras, both of which still have flashy effects and shorter cooldowns.

BDO is also, I'd say, much more involved in terms of the combat system; PvP tending to require the player know a number of combos for different situations and needing to know animations and PvE involving grinding for levels, money, etc with there also being large scale PvP daily and weekly that people tend to watch.

ESO is very similar to GW2, limited action bar, shorter cooldowns. It has a WvW mode, even battlegrounds now as well as, arguably, more challenging PvE content. It doesn't have much more viewership than GW2 but its still there.

I would also point out Warframe, as it is a game that is at least trying to aim itself more in the direction of having open worlds and connecting its currently instanced content more fluidly than it has been in the past (and they are doing well with it so far). Warframe and GW2 are of similar age, have been worked on by similarly sized development companies yet GW2 is the only one of the two that has essentially been stagnant. Warframe has really only grown, it has taken advantage of Twitch to great effect and the game has evolved from what it once was in drastic ways. Warframe is also pretty flashy, the combat is fast paced, and the PvE isn't hard but the developers have been trying to make efforts to accommodate the hardcore subset of players.

Begs the question...what is ANet doing wrong here? I'd argue...a number of things.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:Begs the question...what is ANet doing wrong here? I'd argue...a number of things.

Well to be honest, Warframe has Rebecca Ford, the best community manager of any game I've ever played, and by a significant margin. She is one of the (many) reasons that Warframe is successful and I love watching her streams. Why? Because she is part of the company that develops the game and not a random streamer that streams for attention and/or money, she has access to all the juicy information, she has an excellent way of presenting it and showing off what is coming in the future. Her personality is great too.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"KryTiKaL.3125" said:Begs the question...what is ANet doing wrong here? I'd argue...a number of things.

Well to be honest, Warframe has Rebecca Ford, the best community manager of any game I've ever played, and by a significant margin. She is one of the (many) reasons that Warframe is successful and I love watching her streams. Why? Because she is part of the company that develops the game and not a random streamer that streams for attention and/or money, she has access to all the juicy information, she has an excellent way of presenting it and showing off what is coming in the
future
. Her personality is great too.

I feel like there is a misconception about streamers. I keep seeing this repeating trend of people thinking they are doing it "for the money" or "for attention". That may be true for some, and honestly maybe its true for most that they want attention. But are you any less entertained by an actor acting in a movie/play? Or a comedian doing a set or performing in their very own comedy special? Many of them have freely admitted "Yeah, we're all maybe a little attention seeking. Otherwise why would we do what we do?" However I think this idea of "they are in it for the money" needs to be dismissed a bit more. Say someone who starts a business doing say...crafts, making something unique and then selling it and their business takes off and they are able to make a living off of it, are they doing it "for the money" or do you think maybe they were just able to realize their own personal dream of being able to earn a living doing something that they love and are passionate about? This all sounds very idealistic, which is a pretty significant detraction from how I usually portray myself, at least in my opinion, but I don't think its any less true despite that.

Also...how much money, and how quickly, do people even think streamers/youtubers make? Not all of them are Pewdiepie, not all of them are Ninja, not all of them have an entire company behind them like the Achievement Hunter boys and gals from Roosterteeth (in fact several of them still stream so that they can make that little extra money that can help them just with life in general).

Streamers do not start making tons of money very quickly, in fact most of the time they don't make tons of money worth the derisive assumptions of "they do it for the money" outside of the few streamers and youtubers that are out there (like Pewds and Ninja). Thats why incentives like merch and other things come into play for many and it helps them earn a living off of something that they are passionate about and that they love to do and enjoy waking up every morning and doing. They are entertainers, whether you like any particular one or watch them at all or not, that is irrelevant. They might not be professional actors or comedians, but they typically only become successful in the particular field of streaming/youtube by being entertaining. Which again, whether or not any one individual here finds them entertaining is irrelevant...other people do.

1) it's a particle effect seizure2) its pvp scene is completely dead3) loot design

No single aspect of GW2 is worth streaming except maybe for one of our annual holidays because its something different and unlike any other game where there are only micro holidays with a fraction of content put into.

I think Guild Wars 2 should add more automatically defined player interactions, one without npc, only the player's real role playing. Each player can play different things.Raid I only watched others play, I think the skill system of Guild Wars 2 is great, but the character movements are too repetitive and there are no cool movement changes. I really hope that Guild Wars 2 can jump higher in the air and use weapons skills in the air. , cooler skill moves, like < Ninja Gaiden> and

So this Asmongold guy have 239k viewers on twitch yesterday streaming world of warcraft classic. Yes 239k viewers. I repeat 239000 kitten viewers! (and yes i typed kitten not the f word). Im just confused how on earth 239k people watching this guy play the game and leveling but dont play the game themselves.. For me, I got bored and left the stream after watching him play for 10 minutes. Im confused. Gw2 leveling is more entertaining to watch than classic wow questing in my opinion so gw2 why not gw2 streamer have more viewer????? hmm

@knomslayer.9457 said:So this Asmongold guy have 239k viewers on twitch yesterday streaming world of warcraft classic. Yes 239k viewers. I repeat 239000 kitten viewers! (and yes i typed kitten not the f word). Im just confused how on earth 239k people watching this guy play the game and leveling but dont play the game themselves.. For me, I got bored and left the stream after watching him play for 10 minutes. Im confused. Gw2 leveling is more entertaining to watch than classic wow questing in my opinion so gw2 why not gw2 streamer have more viewer????? hmm

Because, and you might want to sit down for this, many of them are likely watching him stream and they are playing at the same time.

Oh and also what you perceive as more entertaining isn't what others perceive as more entertaining. Also not to mention WoW tends to have more worthwhile content to watch whereas GW2...doesn't.

Teapot's stream the other day pulled in 17k viewers at its peak but it was an event he was running, with special rules and prizes; all of which not promoted by ANet and also GW2 doesn't directly facilitate similar gameplay or content within the confines of its own mechanics and system. Teapot had to set it all up himself, including figuring out the rules for it as well as needing to use a mod to better spectate the participating guilds.