Renegade or Herald better tank?

ThatCharlie.8471

Lacking specificity, I am going to assume you are referring to raids, as these are the only content requiring "tank" builds. I apologize if this assumption is misplaced.

There are very few builds that can properly fill the role of "tank" in a raid setting, unfortunately, and fewer still which can also support. Chronomancer is the go-to for this particular role. Given that this post is in the Revenant forums, I will attempt to answer the direct question asked:

Both specs have their strengths.

Tanking

Herald

The addition of a shield is one of the stronger arguments for tanking as herald. The added block, protection, and healing will be needed to survive boss damage. In addition, Glint's activated heal is an immensely powerful tool for ignoring certain boss mechanics.

Renegade

You have access to powerful condition damage reduction, but this is fairly rare in boss encounters. Your greatest tools here will be the life steal and protection on summons trait. Overall, I cannot recommend Renegade for tanking.

Support

Herald

Boon support is literally the design principal behind Herald, and you will be able to maintain high levels of major boons to your allies as well as a unique buff which increases the durations of the boons they themselves share. Note that you have to sacrifice a large part of your uptime if you wish to also tank, as Glint stance is largely unhelpful for tanking except for the heal, which requires you to stop channeling to use. Also note that Glint has better synergy with Ventari for direct healing.

Renegade

Renegade offers minimal boons, but group lifesteal and an AoE heal make this spec a contender. It is also worth noting that Renegade can couple with Ventari to offer 90%+ uptime on Alacrity. The jury is still out, but I believe this will give Renegade the edge in the support role when there is no Chronomancer available.

TL;DR

Neither is currently recommended, but Herald makes a better tank, Renegade a better support.

Archived