Way point unlock packages.

@"Elden Arnaas.4870" said:I think that the character-bound aspect, and the high cost are to prevent players from over using this. You can bet that if this sells well, there will be a Heart of Thorns version, and (eventually) a Path of Fire version.

re: Imo unlocking all waypoints should only be available for those who have 100% map completion on 1 character. Make it a part of an achievement. If you get 100% on a map, all waypoints will be unlocked for you alts. - This would have been nice, but now that it's a gem store item, nothing like that will ever happen.

As a business a reasonable assumption by that business might be that if a player was willing to even both with 100% map completion that might not be their market for this product. I could be dead wrong but this is being marketed at people that probably want to just hit up some of these areas more easily after they have done it once or twice or maybe more on other toons. Not to get "ahead" but to not suffer that which they already had over and over. Not 100% completion, just wanting to get around and not have to drive the entire freeway each time to get there.

I won't be buying it ever, I feel it is time vs money thing and I need my money for other things that my time cannot easily get me. I have no issues with others buying it even new players. This is a product and as much as it is also a game/home/bar/church/refuge for many people it is still a product. It only gets better if it ever will get better with profits made to further develop the product. In the end the risk is all on them. You can choose not to partake, why should they choose not to sell? There might be a reasonable explanation as to why I am just choosing a different side of the debate.

By the argument in this thread describing the wp unlocks as p2w, everyone who has bought PoF bought a p2w package. For $30 you paid ANet for the abilities to (out of combat and instances) have all your chars run at superspeed. They can now jump extremely high and get on top of tall structures. They have the ability to leap far past a non buyer’s ability to leap and the ability to blink and evade mobs. They have the ability to fall from a high distance and take no fall damage and the ability to have extended gliding. They have the ability to glide over water. Players who didn’t buy this package from ANet do not have any of these abilities and never will. By the p2w argument in this thread if you have these extended abilities it’s too late to object to another package that gives a different set of abilities, that is, the ability to have all wps unlocked in core Tyria.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I honestly doubt anyone who starts a brand new MMO has the mentality that everything needs to be achieved as fast as possible. Most players will likely prefer to level the good old way, getting themselves used to the game mechanics and professions, before even dreaming about max-level content. ESPECIALLY when they realize how flexible Guild Wars 2 is; there's no rush, you can always catch up and getting to the max level is doable in a few hours, as well as getting decent gear.

If a brand new player buys the WP unlock and lvl 80 boost, they will teleport around the map for a while, overwhelmed by everything and shut down the game having no idea what to do next. No one wants to get that feeling.

You are blissfully unaware and I envy you.I'd say the majority of new players want everything now. And exclusive skins.

Hello there was a thread not long ago about an admittedly bran new player raging because jetpack was overpriced and they need to fix NOW.

@Palador.2170 said:

@"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:Two players buy Guild wars 2 today. Create Charr character and finish intro story.

Player one buys 80 boost and WP unlockPlayer two does not.

Oh my, Silvereastes is on underground bosses followed by VW.

Guess who will make It to those events(The player who paid money)

So someone explain how this is not p2w.

Well, if they're both equal, then the person that paid will make it to those events. But, they wouldn't even know to go to those events if not for some foreknowledge of the game. And both being equal, that means that the other person ALSO knows such things about the game.

The non-spender will therefore know enough to quickly catch up in levels, and gear. They'll be on par with the power of the other player fairly quickly. However, because they took a slightly slower route, they'll also have more practice playing their character when they get to the Silverwastes. Guess which one is less likely to get the reputation of "that lack-wit that kittens up everything".

This isn't "Pay to Win", it's more like paying to get your first book published. That won't save you from your book being crap, and you'll miss out on the writing skills gained by doing it the hard way. And in the long run, it gives you no advantage, just a faster jump into the thick of things.

I'll accept this.

Does it count for all your characters? I can see it being worthwhile to buy then. I mean yea we have mounts now as well but I think most players have gone through the maps of central tyria at least a couple times by now. shrugs convenience more than anything.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I honestly doubt anyone who starts a brand new MMO has the mentality that everything needs to be achieved as fast as possible. Most players will likely prefer to level the good old way, getting themselves used to the game mechanics and professions, before even dreaming about max-level content. ESPECIALLY when they realize how flexible Guild Wars 2 is; there's no rush, you can always catch up and getting to the max level is doable in a few hours, as well as getting decent gear.

If a brand new player buys the WP unlock and lvl 80 boost, they will teleport around the map for a while, overwhelmed by everything and shut down the game having no idea what to do next. No one wants to get that feeling.

You are blissfully unaware and I envy you.I'd say the majority of new players want everything now. And exclusive skins.

Hello there was a thread not long ago about an admittedly bran new player raging because jetpack was overpriced and they need to fix NOW.

Well, there will always be new, immature "baby's first mmo" players that don't quite grasp how unrealistic it is to achieve EVERYTHING as fast as possible. Those people will propably quit in a week too, because their patience simply isn't fit for a game like this.

And true, I'm sure most players WANT to achieve everything right out of the box, exclusive skins as well, but anyone who has ever played a proper MMO before this one knows that simply isn't going to happen. It takes time and investment.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:

Well, there will always be new, immature "baby's first mmo" players that don't quite grasp how unrealistic it is to achieve EVERYTHING as fast as possible. Those people will propably quit in a week too, because their patience simply isn't fit for a game like this.

And true, I'm sure most players WANT to achieve everything right out of the box, exclusive skins as well, but anyone who has ever played a proper MMO before this one knows that simply isn't going to happen. It takes time and investment.

I like you

Converting real world currency to waypoints has always been possible, if a little convoluted.

1. Convert gems to gold.
  2. Buy a lot of Black Lion Chest Keys.
  3. Use gold to buy Black Lion Chests from the trading post.
  4. Use gold to pay other players to run to waypoints and let you use teleport to friend.

I'm not sure if there is anything in the game you can't buy with money via gem to gold conversion.Want Legendary Insights? Pay a group to run you through raids.Want Fractal Relics? Pay a group to run you through fractals.Want Dungeon Armor? Pay a group to......And so on.

Ultimately you could pay someone to sit at your computer and play for you. I think that would break the TOS, but it would be impossible to detect.If you were really invested paying-to-win you could buy enough NCsoft stock to have a controlling interest and get a land spear of +100,000,000 Power which would allow your exclusive Tengu playable character to one shot Bubbles McBubbleface (that's what you named the sea dragon, because owning the company allows you to do that).

I will never buy the waypoint unlock package; because personally, I do not find it to be a good value. But other players buying it does not negatively impact my game experience. It doesn't give players who purchase the pack anything that a free-to-play player cannot do in a reasonable amount of time. All it really does is allow people to pay to reduce running, if anything the level 80 boost is more pay-to-win (although I do not consider it to be pay-to-win due to the aforementioned ability of a free-to-play player to achieve the same result after a reasonable amount of time.)

How wonderful for World vs. World players who want to build a Legendary weapon.2000 Gems to knock out 1/5th of world completion requirements.And Proof of Heroics, which are obtained playing their favorite game mode to unlock another 1/5th.At this rate, they won't have to do PvE at all to get World Completion tokens.

I would be able to use it for 6 of my characters, but that would cost 12k gems. I'm not paying $150 for waypoints. I would pay 3k-4k gems if it were an account unlock.

I give ArenaNet credit for coming up with something some of the community asked for, but they didn't need to nickel and dime us to death over it.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:My opinion.

Mounts have changed the game enough that if you have them it’s now trivial to unlock waypoints. Even a low level char can unlock the wps on high level maps with the mount’s speed boost, leaps, teleports, ability to skim over water. If a low level char can unlock the wps in Orr using mounts then it no longer matters if someone buys the wps.

^^^ This

I don't think the implementation was necessary now that mounts are the common dandelion dotted in all corners of the maps - perhaps it most benefits those who are working towards Gift of Exploration on swift terms? Mind you, the package seems to be per character.. if that makes you feel any better.

Only unlocking 1 waypoint per map allows acces to all dungeons and the ability to travel to any point anywhere in under 2 minutes... I allways unlock WP's on all maps and it takes minutes per map... Paying 25 dollar or euro makes no sense IMHO. I'd prefer permatools or salvage o matics, bag, bank and character slots over this pretty trivial and costly unlock...

@Zephyra.4709 said:I don't think the implementation was necessary now that mounts are the common dandelion dotted in all corners of the maps - perhaps it most benefits those who are working towards Gift of Exploration on swift terms? Mind you, the package seems to be per character.. if that makes you feel any better.

If you're working towards the gift of exploration: You need to map all maps fully anyways. You'll pass all WP's anyways as well, so it had no use whatsoever. The only use is for a person just starting and instantly consuming his l80 boost and wanting to travel to World Bosses directly afterwards. In any other scenario It's a waste of a lot of money...

@Rikkagin.9472 said:I strongly suspect we'll see a build template saver in the gem store some time in the future.

While I could care less about WP unlock packages, I would definitely be interested in build templates. I would want it to store both build gear settings thou.

Archived