Potential Future Balance Changes

I will try to be as objective as possible here since Scourge is my main class in WvW, well Necro in general has been for years.

-The current problems with WvW Meta- Boon spam, CC spam, Stealth Spam

-Problems with Necromancer Class- Lacks defensive abilities, relies on offense and group support. Weapon skills are pitiful and frankly pathetic. Too many single target skills, and they are really all long due for an overhaul, especially Staff.

-Problems with Scourge- This is a necessary spec in WvW to counter blobs and boon spam. Scourge has been nerfed many times with damage reduction, increased cooldowns, and reducing boon corruptions. What this does is force groups to use more Scourges to counter enemy groups. Scourge shade skills are weak on their own and can only kill anything when spammed, this is the fundamental core issue. Those shade skills are also tied to the Scourges defense like barrier and cleanses. With the removal of Shroud as a second health bar, it forces Scourges to play more offensively. Reducing the barrier provided by a Scourge makes little sense since the player has to rely on it for defense and has to rely on Healing power on buff it, since there is no second health bar as with Shroud and few defensive abilities.

-A better solution would be to reduce the barrier applied to Allies. Weapon skills are already weak, no need to nerf them even more. Boon corruption is a necessity in WvW as one of the few counters to groups spamming and stacking boons and being unkillable. This carries bad players and just ruins the fun in fights when enemies can reapply and stack boons and instantly heal up to full while also instantly resurrecting allies.

On a side note, Stealth gyro needs to be removed from the game. Seeing an entire zerg going invisible, freely moving around, for such a long duration is one of the most absurd things I have ever seen. This is an absolute failure in terms of design and balancing. Increasing the cd will not improve anything, since you can just rotate which Scapper uses it. The skill itself needs to be completely reworked.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lmfao where is elementalist?

If any dev ever reads this, please seriously consider from a 4k hours ele main:

• Reduce Fiery Greatsword cd to 100 seconds until you rework conjures. It's the only 180s elite in the game with no way to reduce its base cast cd.
  • Consider changing the "more hits = less damage" for multi hitting aoes such as meteor shower and lightning storm. It's very frustrating and un-fun as a player to be the only class with this kind of specific nerf.
  • Rework Glacial Drift (weaver scepter air/water). It's the most useless ability in the game. Does no damage, flies very slowly and fizzles mid travel. Not even a projectile finisher.
  • Fix Fiery Frost (weaver scepter fire/water) bugged for 2 years now. It goes randomly on interrupt cooldown when you use it. To this day I don't know if you can use it while facing away from opponents, or only while looking at them (works randomly).
  • Please buff autoattacks for most weapons.-------Staff autos are clunky and useless outside fireball.-------Scepter autos are clunky and useless except air (only for fresh air resets)-------Dagger autos are somewhat better except water and earth being too slow.-------Sword autos have pitiful range (130). Please increase it a bit.
  • Trait wise I think ele is okay for now.
  • Some utilities need work like most cantrips. Namely ether renewal, I'd reduce the cast time and also reduce the pulses (5 condis removed instead of 8 which is overkill).

RIP GW2

@hunkamania.7561 said:Lots of nerfs are needed in wvw. Since we're dealing with large battles with a lot of people wvw should be more under tuned. We need longer fights and not everyone getting one shot and stealthing for 15 seconds

+1 correct

That is the problem and that is why i make a case about Toxicity. Toxicity destroys all competitiveness

+1 shotting is Toxic

(there is a thread where Thief doing 40k damage, so why is there no hotfix patch or even a band-aid nerf patch in their damages until it is addressed in a later balance patch)

Why is Thief Profession immune to nerfs?

Why make the exception?

With regards to mantras (in pvp),

Would your gameplay change as a result?Yes, making them basically impossible to use quickly when necessary during key situations

Do you feel these changes would improve or worsen the state of the game?Absolutely ruins mantra by making it clunky and feel terrible.

Are you looking forward to these potential changes?No.

What are your concerns with this set of changes?Nerfing something by making it clunky to the extreme and basically unusable in most situations they were normally good in before is a terrible balance choice. I.E. Chrono shatters, look how well that went.

What consequences do you expect would come from these changes?Essentially mantra mes is removed from the game, which equates to all viable core mes builds as well, due to it feeling absolutely terrible to play if these nerfs go live. Its possible that mantra stays technically viable, but it will absolutely be unfun and feel atrocious, if not just be unusable at any high level, where mantra is, quite frankly, already borderline garbage unless carried by mirage.

Would be great to nerf things in a way that doesnt ruin the experience of playing a build, dont mess with instacasts requiring you to face a target especially when they almost certainly won't autoturn your character like most other skills. Please don't let this go live.

Engineer• Chemical Field: This skill is replaced by Detection Pulse (from the old Sneak Gyro elite toolbelt) as the toolbelt skill for Purge Gyro. This would be fine, I currently use Chemical Field but I would also use Detection Pulse. Would hurt my DPS but would increase utility. Fine either way.• Purge Gyro: Reduce the number of cleansing pulses from 5 to 3 in WvW. This one would hurt. I use purge gyro as my only source of condi clears when I run a Juggernaut roamer build. After the most recent Scrapper changes, I feel I have to use divinity runes instead of water runes I was using before to make up for the -300 vitality. I get the change would be to tone down the Medi-Scrapper build but it would further hurt the build diversity of “off-meta” Scrapper builds more. I would probably look at changing Antitoxin runes first.
• Sneak Gyro: Increase the cooldown of this ability from 45 to 75 seconds in WvW. 75 seconds seems a little too high, 45 is too low, 60 seconds is probably the sweet spot.

• Would your gameplay change as a result? Yes it would change as a result. In my Juggernaut is already weak to spamming boon corrupt/conditions. This would make it even more so

• Do you feel these changes would improve or worsen the state of the game? If I’m being non-biased, they would probably improve the state of the game.

• Are you looking forward to these potential changes/ concerns with this set of changes? I am very nervous about these changes. I think that the last Scrapper patch was rather short sighted on deleting any kind of condition-based play style (which I ran). The Medi-Scrapper is a fun build to play. It isn’t as survivable nor is it as common as it was pre-patch. Without seeing how it interacts with the other changes on the list it could be ok or it could be too much. Either way it feels like Scrapper is being pidgin holed into a very particular play style with build diversity shrinking every patch.

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

• Would your gameplay change as a result?

• Do you feel these changes would improve or worsen the state of the game?

• Are you looking forward to these potential changes?

• What are your concerns with this set of changes?

• What consequences do you expect would come from these changes?[....]Mesmer

• Illusion of Life: Increase the cooldown of this skill from 75 to 90 seconds in PvP & WvW and reduced the duration from 15 seconds to 8 seconds of its effect in PvP & WvW.

• Power Break (Mantra of Pain): This skill now requires you to face your target and respects line of sight.

• Power Lock (Mantra of Distraction): This skill now requires you to face your target and respects line of sight.

• Chaos Storm: This skill now always dazes on the first strike but can no longer randomly daze on other strikes. This change also applies to Lesser Chaos Storm. Added skill fact to show chaos storm's duration.

• Chaotic Interruption: This trait has been re-worked and now reduces the cooldown of one of your weapon abilities by 5 seconds when you interrupt a foe.[....]We look forward to seeing your thoughts and feedback!

Sincerely,GW2 Systems Team

• Facing target for mantras seems legitimate
  • If you want to kill Illusion of life in competitive mode, just deactivate it instead of nerfing it (that's my thought after having seen Wooden Potatoes playing it in PvP, not everyone can use this skill, other players must also know it, it's powerful but hard to play, while in WvW scourge+firebrand+weaver backline does not need any illusion of life)
  • ok for nerfing Chaos Storm but please pretty please do not nerf it more.
  • let chaotic interruption deactivated instead of making it quite to fully useless imho. At least deactivated is clear.

I'm not looking forward these changes, I'll change chaotic interruption in PvE to something else. I'm waiting for wp video to understand more of all changes to happen.I quite don't play other classes atm.note about long range shot, while playing a beastmaster from time to time, whatever the game, the further the target the higher damage always seemed strange to me :)

Personally i think the Scrapper Changes aren't good and you should be looking at more ways to encourage build diversity as opposed to shoe-horning scrapper into a certain role.As others have mentioned scrapper isn't seen very much now in wvw (at least on the servers i play on and against) to justify these changes.

Impact Savant severely limits roles for scrapper , to take advantage of the trade off you need to do as much physical damage as possible which is just a bad deal for any other type of build (ie Support or Condi)Perhaps have impact savant grant a barrier on all 3 gameplay styles to encourage different types of play on Scrapper.Barrier on damageBarrier on condition damage (benefit and encourage condition and hybrid builds and not just hammer/rifle based)Barrier on Healing done to allies. (which would make using med kit 1 offer a little bit of self sustain)Build diversity is always a good thing (maybe not for you as a balance team but that's your job :P )

Personally i don't like the other changes as i feel scrapper isn't in a great spot at the moment and further nerfs will hurt the class and water it down too much.

Warrior War horn Changes seem interesting, though Warhorns would be pretty epic if they were channelled, Pulsing skills that gave a long - Helms Deep 'BAROOOOO' instead of a little one shot 'parp' :)Charge - Channelled 4x 4 seconds pulsing swiftness - final pulse gives a burst of superspeed and quicknessCall to arms -Channelled 4x condition clear - final pulse grants vigor and resistance (or some such)

What really needs to happen is this:

You cannot do damage whilst you are invulnerable.
After dodging you cannot do damage for 0.5 seconds.

Long range shot does not need changing...unless you remove retaliation from triggering on every hit a ranger does towards a blob.

So many other things need changing, like giving Tempest/staff ele a decent skill/auto...

Hopefully the balance team will work with some actual wvw players this time before throwing in changes...

Comments from a WvW perspective:

1. Engi. I wouldn't change the cleansing fields on purge gyro. Every class should bring something to a zerg and for engi it is condi clears. As for sneak gyro or the purge gyro toolbelt skill, I would only change one of those. The reason sneak is a problem is because there isn't counterplay. I don't care which you switch, but I'd only do one and then monitor how it goes.
  2. Rev: I like both of those changes

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:Greetings fellow Tyrians,

We've been thinking about implementing the following changes and wanted to share them with you to hear your thoughts and feedback. We’re aiming to bring into line some of the more dominant builds and compositions of the current WvW meta so that new options can be brought to the table, so the bulk of the changes shared here are WvW-centric. This is not the full list of changes that are being considered for the next balance update.

This is not a call for general profession feedback. Here are a few questions to think about while looking over the potential changes:

• What consequences do you expect would come from these changes?

With those types of questions in mind here's some of what we're looking at.

Warrior

• Charge: This skill would only removes movement impairing conditions and then increases the damage of affected allies' next 2 attacks by 25% in addition to its previous effects. Increase swiftness duration from 10 seconds to 15 seconds. This skill becomes a blast finisher.
  • Call to Arms: Removes 3 conditions from affected allies instead of specific conditions. Grants barrier in addition to vigor.
  • Sight Beyond Sight: Increase the radius of this ability to reveal hidden enemies up to 600 range away.
  • Quick Breathing: Thinking of kicking re-working it a bit to pair with the warhorn skill changes so they feel more cohesive. Continues to increase number of targets for warhorn skills from 5 to 10 and causes warhorn skills to grant an additional boon instead of reducing the cooldown (Fury for Charge and Resistance for Call to Arms). Grant +120 Concentration.

We look forward to seeing your thoughts and feedback!

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 @"Karl McLain.5604" please read https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/82655/2019-07-balance-wishlist-rev-08-06

• Would your gameplay change as a result?Yes, but I'm under the impression that this might be dragging the game in the wrong direction. We really don't need more damage modifiers, damage in this game has become out of control. Would much prefer if there's downscaling of the damage modifiers across the board.
  • Do you feel these changes would improve or worsen the state of the game?Improve for warrior, worsen for the rest of the game. A 25% damage modifier is massive.
  • Are you looking forward to these potential changes?I guess warhorn warrior would be viable but not looking forward to the direction of power creep.
  • What are your concerns with this set of changes?Power creep. Massive power creep.
  • What consequences do you expect would come from these changes?Power Creep.

I don't t know if im blind but no thief changes right? What a surprise.

I think Chrono don't need any other nerf, you already ruined the class pretty damn well. Thanks to some nice ppl coming up, with nice mirage builds so mesmer is actually still a thing.

As said before Meta will prob the same.

I dont see any changes listed there to tone down or change the 1 shot from invis that a thief can do, why are they being left unchanged, do Anet seriously not believe they are over powered and completely off the chart, there is no competition when fighting someone who can nearly ( if not completely ) 1 shot you from invis, and if they dont, they can just go invis, heal up reset all skills then finish you while your skills are on recharge, completely 1 sided.

@Vova.2640 said:

• Purge Gyro: Reduce the number of cleansing pulses from 5 to 3 in WvW.
    - I suggest leaving the gyro as it is and nerf Purity of Purpose trait instead. And Also take a look at antitoxin rune. Too many synergies there.

Disagree. Nerfing the number of pulses, possibly looking at the rune is the best solution. Nerfing Purity of Purpose would just remove Scrapper entirely since it would have no differentiating purpose from other classes and skills that cleanse conditions.

See the problem is, the way scrapper is right now, no other support class besides firebrand, who is being used thanks to all the stab and aegis it provide, is viable.Scrapper is killing support diversity (along with firebrands yes).I would be down if another class gave this many boons and heals like scrapper, while leaving scrapper as it is.I would also be down if another class gave this much stability and/or aegis like firebrand and firebrands left as they are.

But the problem is there isn't anything else. Only other class that has been used as support was tempest, and tempest has both mediocre healing and not nearly as many boons as scrapper + no way to give stab not aegis to allies. Makes it an inferior choice even to scrapper.

That's exactly why you're wrong to say that nerfing gyro is wrong. All those boons are coming from condi cleanses. Less condi cleanses == less boons. That's also why you were correct to say the rune should be looked at.

The bottom line is that you have said these are POTENTIAL CHANGES. I seem to recall when alliances were COMING SOON about 18 months ago so I have no faith in anything being changed. As many have said, WvW is the fogotten game mode.

A good start would be to make ALL classes equally viable in WvW and to add content like new maps for example.

You have WvW guilds leaving the game in droves as can be seen by the server populations, that should be a good indicator that something needs to be done SOON for real not just "soon".

Would your gameplay change as a result?

if scourges death carpet would fall down from meta, than maybe i would do some zerging

Do you feel these changes would improve or worsen the state of the game?

big improvement, fb and scurge are dominating zerg play in wvw and it need dire changes, but there are other stuff that should be done as well.any pvp in this game needs stability. firebrand gives tons of stability as well as aegis spam, healing and other boons spam. 1 class cant give it all

Are you looking forward to these potential changes?

yes

What are your concerns with this set of changes?

chrono in wvw is useless now, with nerf to illusion of life it will be even worse, if chrono wont get proper rework

What consequences do you expect would come from these changes?

lot of firebrands and scourge cry for sure, but its deserved. on more serious note: propably more diversity

Thanks for the post Irenio. Nice to see some of your thoughts. I feel inclined to comment on some of these, so I will post below. This is all from a WvW perspective unless stated otherwise.

• Chemical Field: This skill is replaced by Detection Pulse (from the old Sneak Gyro elite toolbelt) as the toolbelt skill for Purge Gyro.This seems like a fair change and would give Scrappers some utility back. I support this. Makes me wonder how many small-scale and roaming Scrappers would feel with the stunbreak gone though.
  • Purge Gyro: Reduce the number of cleansing pulses from 5 to 3 in WvW.I disagree very strongly with this. I think Antitoxin Scrapper's cleanse/conversion potential is extremely unhealthy for the game, but a better target for this is not in Engineer itself, but Antitoxin Runes. They literally double cleanse potential on Scrapper, which is just absurd. Instead of nerfing the spec because of a busted synergy it has with a rune, please tackle the rune itself. It is in need of a nerf.
  • Illusion of Life: Increase the cooldown of this skill from 75 to 90 seconds in PvP & WvW and reduced the duration from 15 seconds to 8 seconds of its effect in PvP & WvW.I can't comment on its impact in PvP, but I would say that the only change I think it needs in WvW is a reduced duration.
  • Sand Cascade: Reduce the barrier granted by this skill by 33% in WvW & PvP.If you reduce barrier granted, increase its healing power scaling. Give Scourges further incentive to invest in healing power.
  • Sand Flare: Reduced the barrier granted by this skill by 25% in WvW.If you reduce barrier granted, increase its healing power scaling. Give Scourges further incentive to invest in healing power.
  • Long Range Shot: Reduce the damage range of this skill from 0.7-0.9 to 0.65-0.75 in WvW only.I disagree with this. Longbow Rangers are annoying, yes, but this is unnecessary.
  • Gaze of Darkness: This skill would reveal stealthed enemies up to 600 range away in addition to striking enemies within its 360 radius.600 seems...excessive? I could see why y'all would want to implement this in WvW, but IMO it's a change that should not hit PvP. Also, if the change goes through I'd reduce the vuln from 10 to 5 in WvW only.

Some additional comments:-Support Scourge has been getting hit quite frequently since PoF dropped, but moreso as a bystander than an actual culprit. Others have mentioned this, but please just rework Sand Savant. This could really really round out a support spec and eliminate an unhealthy playstyle from the game. Remove its damaging component and condition application, revert the recharge time nerfs, and have it function as a pure support trait. Like pulse protection/other minor boons and have X% of barrier converted to healing.-It seems like you are trying to bring down the potency of the meta choices in WvW zergs. Please also consider how to bolster off-meta choices. Ventari Herald, for example, could use just a few tweaks to bolster its support viability. Druid? It needs some major attention and is a sad, abused puppy in the dark corner. Please give it some love. Every time I try to make a support Druid spec happen for larger scale, I log off because of how much of an uphill battle it is compared to other choices.

@Chaba.5410 said:

That's exactly why you're wrong to say that nerfing gyro is wrong. All those boons are coming from condi cleanses. Less condi cleanses == less boons. That's also why you were correct to say the rune should be looked at.

Yes, and I pointed out that they should look at runes of antitoxin since those runes are broken op. antitoxin gone will mean much less condi clear, but that wont change the fact that engi will still be the most superior healer support class cause purity of purpose will still grant plenty of boons.

I know these changes are focused on WvW (PvP) and not PvE, still I'd like to give a small feedback from my side regarding what hasn't been mentioned yet:

For Raid / PvE balance, I'd like you to take a look at Quickness stacking, as in how stacking Feel My Wrath and Time Warp or rather Guardian and dps (!) Chrono banishes both support and dps slots. Atm you have the "choice" between A] stacking dps with quickness (guard) or B] a dps without quickness + 1 support spec that provides it. You always go with A]. On the same note, Time Warp is underperforming for support Chrono due to the 5 stacks limit on Quickness. This issue appears often and makes TW more efficient on dps rather than support Chrono.

As for Engineer, while the band-aid fixes for Holo helped a little bit, the profession is still underperforming with having almost no damage out of forge, due to the complete loss of Laser's Edge when leaving, while the damage in forge is really good, but not massive. Holo needs a lot of love, the base spec, mostly explosives still lacks a power grandmaster (orbital is 300 dps, that's like 1% dmg for a gm trait) and laser's edge still has the 0 effect out of forge issue. And please consider removing the toolbelt lockout for blasting module.

Thank you for reading. :)

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:Greetings fellow Tyrians,

We've been thinking about implementing the following changes and wanted to share them with you to hear your thoughts and feedback. We’re aiming to bring into line some of the more dominant builds and compositions of the current WvW meta so that new options can be brought to the table, so the bulk of the changes shared here are WvW-centric. This is not the full list of changes that are being considered for the next balance update.

This is not a call for general profession feedback. Here are a few questions to think about while looking over the potential changes:

• What consequences do you expect would come from these changes?

With those types of questions in mind here's some of what we're looking at.

Engineer

• Chemical Field: This skill is replaced by Detection Pulse (from the old Sneak Gyro elite toolbelt) as the toolbelt skill for Purge Gyro.
  • Purge Gyro: Reduce the number of cleansing pulses from 5 to 3 in WvW.
  • Sneak Gyro: Increase the cooldown of this ability from 45 to 75 seconds in WvW.

Guardian

• Sanctuary: Increase number of enemies that can be knocked back by this skill from 10 to 20 before it expires.
  • Tome of Resolve, Chapter 2 - Radiant Recovery: The existing split from PvP of cleansing 2 conditions is brought to WvW as well. This ability would continue to cleanse 3 conditions in PvE.
  • Tome of Courage, Chapter 2 - Daring Challenge: This skill grants retaliation for 3 seconds instead of aegis.
  • Tome of Courage, Chapter 5 - Unbroken Lines: This skill no longer grants aegis or retaliation.

Mesmer

• Illusion of Life: Increase the cooldown of this skill from 75 to 90 seconds in PvP & WvW and reduced the duration from 15 seconds to 8 seconds of its effect in PvP & WvW.
  • Power Break (Mantra of Pain): This skill now requires you to face your target and respects line of sight.
  • Power Lock (Mantra of Distraction): This skill now requires you to face your target and respects line of sight.
  • Chaos Storm: This skill now always dazes on the first strike but can no longer randomly daze on other strikes. This change also applies to Lesser Chaos Storm. Added skill fact to show chaos storm's duration.
  • Chaotic Interruption: This trait has been re-worked and now reduces the cooldown of one of your weapon abilities by 5 seconds when you interrupt a foe.

Necromancer

• Feast of Corruption: Reduce damage by 20% in PvP & WvW. The existing split from PvP of corrupting 2 boons is brought to WvW. This ability continues to corrupt 3 boons in PvE.
  • Devouring Darkness: Reduce damage by 20% in PvP & WvW. The existing split from PvP of corrupting 2 boons is brought to WvW. This ability continues to corrupt 3 boons in PvE.
  • Sand Cascade: Reduce the barrier granted by this skill by 33% in WvW & PvP.
  • Sand Flare: Reduced the barrier granted by this skill by 25% in WvW.

Ranger

• Long Range Shot: Reduce the damage range of this skill from 0.7-0.9 to 0.65-0.75 in WvW only.

Revenant

• Coalescence of Ruin: This skill would no longer deals increased damage with successive impacts; instead it deals damage equal to what was previously the middle impact damage. Damage remains split between game modes. A red warning rectangle visible to enemies has been added to this skill.
  • Gaze of Darkness: This skill would reveal stealthed enemies up to 600 range away in addition to striking enemies within its 360 radius.

Warrior

• Charge: This skill would only removes movement impairing conditions and then increases the damage of affected allies' next 2 attacks by 25% in addition to its previous effects. Increase swiftness duration from 10 seconds to 15 seconds. This skill becomes a blast finisher.
  • Call to Arms: Removes 3 conditions from affected allies instead of specific conditions. Grants barrier in addition to vigor.
  • Sight Beyond Sight: Increase the radius of this ability to reveal hidden enemies up to 600 range away.
  • Quick Breathing: Thinking of kicking re-working it a bit to pair with the warhorn skill changes so they feel more cohesive. Continues to increase number of targets for warhorn skills from 5 to 10 and causes warhorn skills to grant an additional boon instead of reducing the cooldown (Fury for Charge and Resistance for Call to Arms). Grant +120 Concentration.

We look forward to seeing your thoughts and feedback!

Anet still don't get it. Balance isn't going to change anything.

Your customer advocates, your most loyal players, those that have been with you for years. They just want to know you give a shit about them. I guess you don't, if you did you'd be giving them content instead of drinking their money with trashy merchandise. If you really want to stop the game from dying, apologise to your current customers for you careless mistreatment of their loyalty and recommit yourselves to them.

You can make as much of a song and dance as you like with whatever legal speak you need, you can ban and silence anyone you want and point the finger at whatever. But you need to remember your customers are here by choice. There are thousands of other games out there, and blaming/banning them doesn't stop them from moving on, it just accelerates the process.

Do the right thing.