They've added more invisi walls to Divinities Reach this summer than they have to WvW for warclaw

Warclaw is breaking WvW as we speak and they think it is a better use of their time to put more arbitrary walls in pve maps that do absolutely nothing but make the explorable area INSIDE the map boundaries even smaller and more difficult to navigate. Are they preparing for some kind of gemstore item to get rid of these new walls? Absolute waste of resources blocking harmless exploration in pve when they wont even respond on reddit to the multiple documented ways to completely break out of WvW borderlands with the warclaw. Why did they put walls around the inside of Divinitys reach BEFORE making sure they eliminated as many ways to break a competitive game mode as possible? This is carelessness in my eyes, how could it not be? Why did they even give us the griffon and the skyscale, and let us fly up to the top of the glass ceiling in the middle of the city, but we cant go over the walls that are lower than this spot, when we already used to be able to? These invisible walls are killing my desire to explore and make me question why they even gave us mounts when they wont even go back and remove some of the worst and most obstructive ones from the actual PoF maps that were literally designed for mounts. For every place in world v world you can still break out of, I can show you two fully meshed and textured cliffs whose tops are blocked for no reason, and are lower than AND surrounded by cliffs that are fully explorable. What the actual f. It makes no sense. It really makes no sense.

EDIT: I just had to edit this post to say that I found ANOTHER invisible wall to get stuck inside, by simply flying around at the height I was placed at by the very volatile magic trails we can trigger with skyscale that ANET DESIGNED THEMSEVLES. they are literally handcrafting ways to get stuck inside their egregious invisible walls. I can't believe this actually happened. Take the trail that brings you over the hilariously useless invisible wall over the biggest jahai fortress dome, and then fly around on the griffon. Now there are two ways that Anet has designed THEMSELVES to get stuck inside the insidiously stupid invisible walls that they seem to have no intention of going back and fixing. This is so sad and infuriating at the same time to see such a complete lack of care for their own designed game features. The second one im referring to IS EVEN EASIER BECAUSE ITS WHERE THE TRAIL BEGINS, on top of the displaced tower. Just fly in any direction toward the cliffs that are lower than the magic trigger for this trail, and you are almost guaranteed to get stuck in the walls they put on both sides of these lower cliffs. It just makes negative sense.

Invisible walls are not only an irritation to the players but also an unimaginative way to block players. These days they seem to use them to block random spots. For a supposedly "open game" they seem determined to put the game on rails with them.

There is one thing worse that them though; map edge kill zones. There are a number of maps that if you step to close >BOOM< dead! They've never seemed to care about players venturing into map edges just to look for hidden Easter eggs, bits of interesting map scenery or just a look behind the curtain but since HoT they added death zones to random maps. Some of which are way to close to playable area. There has been a number of times when I was just playing the game as normal and stumble into a death zone that extends to far into the normal map area. Verdant Brink, Bloodstone Fen, Crystal Oasis and Desert Highlands are the worse offenders of this. I was in the green area on Bloodstone Fen farming once and jumped up on a raised area to AFK for a minute then died; only warned after the fact.

If they absolutely feel they have to nudge players back for whatever reason then a far more creative way would be a fear zone with a scary roar only the player in the zone can hear. The mechanic is already in the game with some creatures that cast fear at players like the Claw of Jormag cast. It'd be like saying "Here be dragons!"

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:There is one thing worse that them though; map edge kill zones. There are a number of maps that if you step to close >BOOM< dead! They've never seemed to care about players venturing into map edges just to look for hidden Easter eggs, bits of interesting map scenery or just a look behind the curtain but since HoT they added death zones to random maps. Some of which are way to close to playable area. There has been a number of times when I was just playing the game as normal and stumble into a death zone that extends to far into the normal map area. Verdant Brink, Bloodstone Fen, Crystal Oasis and Desert Highlands are the worse offenders of this. I was in the green area on Bloodstone Fen farming once and jumped up on a raised area to AFK for a minute then died; only warned after the fact.

And there's this huge inconsistency all over the place.In Bloodstone Fen, when you fly to the border of the map with your griffon, you die instantly. In Dragonfall, you get ported ported back to the mainland.??????

This is what happens when multipe teams work on stuff and no one has a clue or even cares what the other teams do.

@LucianDK.8615 said:The maps isnt designed for creative exploration, and why they need invis walls to prevent players from going out of bounds.

The whole premise of the game is open exploration. There are even the odd Easter eggs like elements in odd places outside the map bounds that may have been placed there knowing that players will find them eventually. There are very interesting areas you can't see unless you break out of the map.

The release of mounts just reinforced that in that they allow players to get to places they never could before. Invisible walls conflict with the basic concept of the game and the ones that are put in place all the sudden are probably put in place as a bandaid fix by a lone dev or dev team that doesn't quite seem to get the openness of the game.

I think most are missing the OPs point. The mount allows for entering structures in WvW which could be solved by a few small invisible walls.

And yet, we have more walls added in DR which really don’t block areas that provide an advantage to players

Think what you want about WvW, but honestly, this just further let’s us know that WvW continues to get scraps.

Game breaking exploits that have been reported multiple times, over literally years, which a wall could prevent, and... nothing.

But flying mounts let people see a part of an area without enemies and Wham! Invisible wall.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:I think most are missing the OPs point. The mount allows for entering structures in WvW which could be solved by a few small invisible walls.

And yet, we have more walls added in DR which really don’t block areas that provide an advantage to players

Think what you want about WvW, but honestly, this just further let’s us know that WvW continues to get scraps.

Game breaking exploits that have been reported multiple times, over literally years, which a wall could prevent, and... nothing.

But flying mounts let people see a part of an area without enemies and Wham! Invisible wall.

Thats because WvW is not the focus, nor is its audience the targeted demographic A-net cares about. I mean all the broken promises lack of content for the mode, lack of fixes additions and above all the alliance system. All of which never happened and were promised ~ And they wonder why we have such little faith in them.

@"LucianDK.8615" said:The maps isnt designed for creative exploration, and why they need invis walls to prevent players from going out of bounds.

That's what the Gliding Disabled and Mounts Disabled effects are meant to be for.

IMO, ArenaNet need to take a moment for a feature release (a good time would have been this month tbh) and improve the "heights" of core/HoT zones for mounts. Add collision, make them non-desolate, and remove invisible walls there.

Invisible walls should only exist on the borders of the map, especially with the additions of gliding and mounts, and should have a Mount/Gliding Disabled boundary before you can hit it (giving just enough room before hitting the ground to deploy to avoid fall damage). Otherwise, invisible walls just shouldn't exist - if you want to block passage, add something else. Even if it's a banner with collision.