It's time to lower the material cost of Flax Seeds to create Linseed Oil

Ravij.9856

Anet; you've made material cost adjustments in the past - like lowering soft wood logs required to make planks from 4 to 2 and even increased thick leather from 3 to 4. What I've had a hard time from the beginning is the material cost of Linseed oil having it set as needing 20 flax seeds to create one oil.

As a friend and I were discussing this; they made mention that you can farm flax nodes on the average amount of characters a player owns and only come up with enough seeds for 10 -15 Linseed Oils. The Flax seed nodes are too far and uncommon on the maps they exist that people end up buying these off the TP. The price on Flax and Linseed oil has only increased since PoF went live despite the introduction of additional maps that can carry flax nodes.

I think it's time you lower the cost in Flax Seed's required for the recipe of Linseed Oil as an abundance of new recipes have been introduced that require up to 2-3 or more Linseed Oils to create a single piece of armor or other items that use this material.

There are currently three major flax farms with 8|8|10 nodes available per character each day, enough for 2 oils/day. If you're in a rush, you can farm more by acquiring gold through whatever method you prefer and purchasing flax (or oil directly). Due to the new content/stats, oil & flax are trading at a huge premium, around double what it was 4 months ago. So if you want to save time & money, just wait. Demand will drop, supply will go up, and price will fall or by that time, you might have farmed your own.

Why are people always wanting to remove any method of making money in this game? For you flax is expensive. for others it is a source of income, one day you may be in the other group so don't ask for anet to gut it. Google "flax farm" and it may help you get over this momentary requirement for the mat.

I don't really think lowering the amount needed for Oil is necessary.

However, I would like them to add a couple of Flax farms to PoF maps. HoT has two, LS3 has one and a half, but far as I'm aware PoF has none (I could be mistaken on that, however, I'm not really an expert on PoF yet). And considering a bunch of the stuff from the new expansion requires Linseed Oil, that's kind of crapping on the people who only buy PoF, because unlike players who have access to HoT, the PoF-only players have no access to any sort of Flax farms and are thus stuck with the TP or running around the maps gathering random nodes.

I'm not asking for a drastic lowering of the material cost to make Linseed Oil. Even cutting the material cost in half would be helpful and still allow people to make money.

Linseed Oil is and always will be the most needed and bought material item. So the price of it would not waver much if it was cut in half on flax seeds needed to make it. HoT and now PoF both have recipes where Linseed Oil has been shown to be used heavily.

I honestly think your worries of "losing profits" aren't justified when, as I said, Linseed Oil is the most used material item bought on the TP.

• 2 months later...

@Ravij.9856 said:I'm not asking for a drastic lowering of the material cost to make Linseed Oil. Even cutting the material cost in half would be helpful and still allow people to make money.You consider cutting requirement in half not drastic? That would possibly be the bigggest recipe change in the history of GW2, and would completely upset the market. Besides, linseed oil prices are very, very stable since a really long time.

Linseed Oil is and always will be the most needed and bought material item. So the price of it would not waver much if it was cut in half on flax seeds needed to make it. HoT and now PoF both have recipes where Linseed Oil has been shown to be used heavily.Do you have any source for this? All my information points to it being a very modestly traded commodity. Not that I'm an expert of course, but supply and demand are around 10k, which is very low compared to a lot of other things.

I agree completely with the OP. I have way too many milling stones and never enough flax. People may think it's fun to go to the flax farms daily to get less than enough flax for one oil vial, but really, that's probably one of the grindiest things to do in the game; I doubt people think it's fun, they probably just think it's profitable.

I'm glad that the new weapon skins introduced in the season 4 don't require flax. I hope the next skins won't require it either, so we can finally let this grind die.

@Erasculio.2914 said:I agree completely with the OP. I have way too many milling stones and never enough flax. People may think it's fun to go to the flax farms daily to get less than enough flax for one oil vial, but really, that's probably one of the grindiest things to do in the game; I doubt people think it's fun, they probably just think it's profitable.

I'm glad that the new weapon skins introduced in the season 4 don't require flax. I hope the next skins won't require it either, so we can finally let this grind die.

ley-line tools are worst imho

@Electro.4173 said:I don't really think lowering the amount needed for Oil is necessary.

However, I would like them to add a couple of Flax farms to PoF maps. HoT has two, LS3 has one and a half, but far as I'm aware PoF has none (I could be mistaken on that, however, I'm not really an expert on PoF yet). And considering a bunch of the stuff from the new expansion requires Linseed Oil, that's kind of crapping on the people who only buy PoF, because unlike players who have access to HoT, the PoF-only players have no access to any sort of Flax farms and are thus stuck with the TP or running around the maps gathering random nodes.

There are a few farm-like areas. Under the Temple of Kormir in the Crystal Desert there's a lot of herbs 1/3 of them, at least is flax. Also there's a farm in a cave in Riverlands (where you have the desert lily? node, which is mostly flax).

On topic:I don't think this will happen. It should have happened at HoT launch, when flax was like 1g per seed.But you're right, the requirements for the recipe make no sense, especially looking at how pervasive the oil is in the newest material recipes.But the trend seems to be to make crafting harder and more frustrating (because you know, too many people are already very fond of crafting) and they constantly create newer and more time consuming grinds for materials and currencies (Elegies btw), because like Colin Johanson said in Arena Net's Manifesto. GRIND IS FUN!! Or was it the opposite?

The sad truth is that Arena Net stray further and further from the ideals that drew people into GW2 in the first place. And getting closer and closer to the archetypal MMORPG. So it's no wonder that a lot of people end up quitting.

• 4 months later...

It takes 5 linseed oils to make a one component of oiled armor. that' 5 x 20 flax seeds. It takes 2 components to make plus the insignia to make one piece of oiled armor, that 100 flax seeds. 7 pieces of oiled armor = 700 flax seeds. I would go insane farming all that.

@Oneira.7691 said:It takes 5 linseed oils to make a one component of oiled armor. that' 5 x 20 flax seeds. It takes 2 components to make plus the insignia to make one piece of oiled armor, that 100 flax seeds. 7 pieces of oiled armor = 700 flax seeds. I would go insane farming all that.

700 is nothing.. try 12000 for the Tavern Restoration 2 Guild Hall upgrade.. And that's not counting all the other ridiculous amounts of materials we need.

My guild went very quiet over the years, and it's pretty much me and a friend regularly playing, and then about 3 to 4 others hopping in one night every few weeks.I just finished my grind for a Legendary, and then I'm looking at these numbers.. I'm losing the will to play tbh.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

But you're right, the requirements for the recipe make no sense, especially looking at how pervasive the oil is in the newest material recipes.But the trend seems to be to make crafting harder and more frustrating (because you know, too many people are already very fond of crafting) and they constantly create newer and more time consuming grinds for materials and currencies (Elegies btw), because like Colin Johanson said in Arena Net's Manifesto. GRIND IS FUN!! Or was it the opposite?

The sad truth is that Arena Net stray further and further from the ideals that drew people into GW2 in the first place. And getting closer and closer to the archetypal MMORPG. So it's no wonder that a lot of people end up quitting.

Colin lied.. this feels like Grindwars 2..

@Erasculio.2914 said:I agree completely with the OP. I have way too many milling stones and never enough flax. People may think it's fun to go to the flax farms daily to get less than enough flax for one oil vial, but really, that's probably one of the grindiest things to do in the game; I doubt people think it's fun, they probably just think it's profitable.

Your visiting the farms and only getting enough for 1 oil.. your dpoing something really wrong if that's the case.Each farm I am yielding between 12-25 flax seeds per toon.. I have 4 toons parked at verdant brink and others I just run around to on occasion.. bloodstone fen, draconis and of course plenty to be had on other hot and pof maps.. I make around 10 oils a day without even trying tbh.But then again Rome was not built in a day, that shiny guild hall or ascended armour etc will still be there waiting for you tomorrow

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Your visiting the farms and only getting enough for 1 oil.. your dpoing something really wrong if that's the case.Each farm I am yielding between 12-25 flax seeds per toon.. I have 4 toons parked at verdant brink and others I just run around to on occasion.. bloodstone fen, draconis and of course plenty to be had on other hot and pof maps.. I make around 10 oils a day without even trying tbh.But then again Rome was not built in a day, that shiny guild hall or ascended armour etc will still be there waiting for you tomorrow

If you've parked multiple characters at flax farms, I think that qualifies as trying.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

If you've parked multiple characters at flax farms, I think that qualifies as trying.

Not in the grand scheme of things. Considering how many toons I have.. and I only have 1 account.Add to that I don't farm the seeds every day.. that side of things kills my gaming brain.. they are there when I need a few.. the rest I pick up as I go through maps. But yeah 4 toons I suppose can be considered some effort, just not a whole lot tbh in comparison to those that really farm, but if someone really wants to get that shiny you have to put some effort in or pay the piper to do it for you, hence why flax is a reasonable income on via the TP.

As someone who has farmed tens of thousands of flax for 3 guild halls over the years, id say flax to linseed is in a good place. It is easy for 1 toon to get 2 oils a day with min effort, but with multiple toons, i can get 6-7 if i choose to. Yeah it can be a bit of a chore, but for solo use or income it is well balanced. For guild use, it just requires commitment from a wider group of players (which is as expected).

Whilst i wouldnt object to a change, i dont think it is needed given how quick and easy a player can get thrm for their own needs and the abundance of flax nodes out there

Node patches exist in;

• verdant brink
  • Tangled depths
  • Bloodstone fen
  • Draconis mons
  • Another map, poss in pof - i forget where i found it

Apart from scattered nodes, they also drop from hot mobs

@Kerastrasza.3784 said:Trying to get flax to level a guild hall is driving me insane. Flax farms every day for so few oils when thousands are needed is really killing my desire to play xX

At about 25-50/week per account, even having 4 people doing the daily flax farms could have enough oil most any guild hall upgrade in a week or two.that's if you're a small guild. A larger guild could smash that out in much less time.

I know, my guild of ~6 peeps with 5 or chars each managed it.... Eventually it becomes a matter of not having other materials, or needing to wait.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:On topic:I don't think this will happen. It should have happened at HoT launch, when flax was like 1g per seed.But you're right, the requirements for the recipe make no sense, especially looking at how pervasive the oil is in the newest material recipes.But the trend seems to be to make crafting harder and more frustrating (because you know, too many people are already very fond of crafting) and they constantly create newer and more time consuming grinds for materials and currencies (Elegies btw), because like Colin Johanson said in Arena Net's Manifesto. GRIND IS FUN!! Or was it the opposite?

The Eulogy Mosaics are in a weird place. They aren't just a currency - they're also the gate for the Gift of the Rider, as you have to earn them instead of maxing out four different mastery tracks for the Gift of Insights. Which takes something like 110 mastery points, plus the XP.

@Randulf.7614 said:As someone who has farmed tens of thousands of flax for 3 guild halls over the years, id say flax to linseed is in a good place. It is easy for 1 toon to get 2 oils a day with min effort, but with multiple toons, i can get 6-7 if i choose to. Yeah it can be a bit of a chore, but for solo use or income it is well balanced. For guild use, it just requires commitment from a wider group of players (which is as expected).

Whilst i wouldnt object to a change, i dont think it is needed given how quick and easy a player can get thrm for their own needs and the abundance of flax nodes out there

Node patches exist in;

• verdant brink
  • Tangled depths
  • Bloodstone fen
  • Draconis mons
  • Another map, poss in pof - i forget where i found it

Apart from scattered nodes, they also drop from hot mobs

Elon Riverlands where the node that always drops an Elon Lily is.

Archived