Dragon's Stand Dead Map

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:People can still group at specific times to do it. Making the timer start when there is enough people means that it can be more accessible at any time.The problem is that without fixed timers you have no clue when "enough people" are available. People jump on the map, see not enough people, and jump away again. Right now you know you have a decent chance at a squad with enough people if you show up ahead of the timer and get organized via an lfg squad. The timer makes people check at the same time and find each other. Without it, the people looking will be spread out, only a few will be lucky to look at a time with enough players to make things look promising, and the vast majority of players won't find a working map at all.

The existing problem doesn't change, though:Show up early.Squad up through LFG.Taxi to ma- oh wait, it's full.Taxi to- still full.Taxi - full.
If you're lucky
, you get in before the map starts.Sit around.DIE.Pray you get into the right map and not a different shard.
If you're lucky
, actually get to do Dragon Stand.

If not, welcome to the leftovers. No one else shows up, because "Dead Map."The existing method is a lottery, and that's it. They'd be better off having a queue system for it at this point.

In EU I've never belong to the leftovers because you don't just try 2-3 times to enter the map. You try it every possible 5 seconds (after the message: "The map is full.") and you only need to do that for a minute or less to get a proper map. There's always a spot if you come early and be persistent. Also, most often there is of course more than one map running.Can't speak for oceanic but this server itself is the problem like in many other games as well because the overall population isn't that high. Just one example out of many: TD2, where people had to be sent to the chinese or the us server to find adequate players.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Stu Grockalot.2937 said:Something needs to be done about Dragon's Stand.At release of HoT this was an amazing map, the meta was fantastic, and I enjoyed the big push to take down Mordremoth.Now a days the map ALWAYS seems empty, the meta never progresses and large areas of the map are un-explorable.Something needs to be done to fix it :(

Yes, in the daytime it's pretty much dead...most people are working, going to classes, etc.. The best time to go is in the evening when everyone is playing, i.e. doing their daily stuff. That said, though, there are a lot of people who like to play a bit before they head off to work, or whatever, so the early morning hours can be really good, too.

If you're able to play a lot, keep your eye on the timer and pop over there a few mins early and see how it looks...if there are around 10-15 people there it will most likely happen; but if there are only a few people there it probably won't happen. On the other hand, if there are a couple of tags up they might be able to attract enough people to make it happen, so take that into consideration when you go.

• 2 weeks later...

@arielwind.8921 said:Is there any chance to get collection items easier now? Since this map is really dead, no longer playable.

Perhaps make it so we can buy them from vendors? Not only does the meta almost never get run, so that means almost no obnoxious pods, but also the drop rate is so damn low you can spend years in it to get them? I have every single achievement in the map, but not one time did I get the machine parts.Thanks, although I doubt anyone from anet will read this. :/

there is no any reason to believe in magic full map after new path, duriung active pvp season, and by post date we also have active lunar event .. ? nvmI never try start solo something like that events, if not 7-20 memebers from guild also want to do that.Try find guild and sync wiht them. This is GuildWars !

@Bassdeff.1895 said:Dead? Are we playing the same game? I run DS almost every evening (NA). It must be a time zone thing because I start checking LFG 10 15 mins before the map resets and almost always find a group running it.

Not everyone can play in the evening hours indeed. Some of it might be a time thing. Have you been on the map during the day? it has the lowest density of all maps, since there is nothing there but the meta. :/

@aspirine.6852 said:

@arielwind.8921 said:Is there any chance to get collection items easier now? Since this map is really dead, no longer playable.

Perhaps make it so we can buy them from vendors? Not only does the meta almost never get run, so that means almost no obnoxious pods, but also the drop rate is so kitten low you can spend years in it to get them? I have every single achievement in the map, but not one time did I get the machine parts.Thanks, although I doubt anyone from anet will read this. :/

Not once? Every time I've done the meta with an open collection the final chest have given me one! According to the wiki it's supposed to be guaranteed to get a part for an open collection. Though note, you must have the collection open before the meta starts.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

Perhaps make it so we can buy them from vendors? Not only does the meta almost never get run, so that means almost no obnoxious pods, but also the drop rate is so kitten low you can spend years in it to get them? I have every single achievement in the map, but not one time did I get the machine parts.Thanks, although I doubt anyone from anet will read this. :/

Not once? Every time I've done the meta with an open collection the final chest have given me one! According to the wiki it's supposed to be guaranteed to get
a
part for an open collection. Though note, you must have the collection open
before
the meta starts.

Ah, that absolutely makes no sense. Not what yoy said but you would need to have started some collection so you can get very specific items. The rest of the things needed for the weapons did not require any starting. Why would you as a game designer want to punish your players like that....

@aspirine.6852 said:

Not once? Every time I've done the meta with an open collection the final chest have given me one! According to the wiki it's supposed to be guaranteed to get
a
part for an open collection. Though note, you must have the collection open
before
the meta starts.

Ah, that absolutely makes no sense. Not what yoy said but you would need to have started some collection so you can get very specific items. The rest of the things needed for the weapons did not require any starting. Why would you as a game designer want to punish your players like that....

Yes they did, at least all drop related items required the collection be started. That's pretty common for achievements btw, not just this one.

Also yes, the final chest was changed in the rework phase of HoT to provide 1 random machine collection part chosen between all open collections. The drop rate from Noxious pods was around 1 part per 20-30 pods if I recall correctly, which lead to unlocking 1-3 collection items per run (given an available amount of around 50+ pods per cleared map).

@Svarty.8019 said:Dragon's Stand isn't dead, but the loot is kitten. Why would anybody go there? My friend and I spent a couple of hours doing pods and it just felt like we were earning barely enough to cover the cost of machetes to do the whole thing again with very little profit.

Only reason i go is for the dragon shard things for Dragonite ingots.

• 4 weeks later...

I just reached Dragon's Stand yesterday. Weird thing is that in Verdant Brink and in Auric Basin a lot of people seemed to constantly do events and progress the meta. I haven't been that long in Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand to get a better impression. But I found it weird that after 30 mins in the evening no other waypoint was unlocked. I guess it was already too late and no one was playing the event (1 hour before midnight in Europe) an people were sleeping because of work the next day? Or maybe another map was "full" and I joined an empty one? (Like with the Great Jungle Wurm where you have to join 10-15 minutes before it starts to get into a full map.)

If the thing about rewards (someone mentioned the rewards were bad compared to other maps) is true ... maybe they could change it a bit. (Maybe some achievement/collection with rare drops there ... like the one that requires to you grind core stuff or buy it expensive from TP. Where people even are active in unpopular core maps like forOgre Wars event and stuff like that. :D)

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:I think many players just don't understand how to properly use LFG and join squads across other maps. You may land on a dead map which remains dead, even on reset. How people don't get it, I wonder...

Or maybe I think many players do not understand what its like to not to be able play prime time or reset. There's a world of difference of what your choices are when people have already done it and moved onto the next thing.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:I think many players just don't understand how to properly use LFG and join squads across other maps. You may land on a dead map which remains dead, even on reset. How people don't get it, I wonder...

You join a squad and then click on a member and Join in their map?

It was a rhetorical question :wink:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

You join a squad and then click on a member and Join in their map?

It was a rhetorical question :wink:

Perhaps. I thought I'd just check, though, in case someone reading this thread didn't know and we all know how intuitive things are in GW2.

@"Luthan.5236" said:I just reached Dragon's Stand yesterday. Weird thing is that in Verdant Brink and in Auric Basin a lot of people seemed to constantly do events and progress the meta. I haven't been that long in Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand to get a better impression. But I found it weird that after 30 mins in the evening no other waypoint was unlocked. I guess it was already too late and no one was playing the event (1 hour before midnight in Europe) an people were sleeping because of work the next day? Or maybe another map was "full" and I joined an empty one? (Like with the Great Jungle Wurm where you have to join 10-15 minutes before it starts to get into a full map.)

If the thing about rewards (someone mentioned the rewards were bad compared to other maps) is true ... maybe they could change it a bit. (Maybe some achievement/collection with rare drops there ... like the one that requires to you grind core stuff or buy it expensive from TP. Where people even are active in unpopular core maps like forOgre Wars event and stuff like that. :D)

I can confirm that Dragon's Stand is still being done regularly on EU, I did it yesterday morning. I don't think we had a full map but there were more than enough people to succeed.

IMO the biggest difference between Dragon's Stand and other GW2 maps is that the entire map is one big, structured meta-event with very little to do outside of that. It's not a map where you can just hang around doing individual events, chipping away at things until there's enough interested people for the meta to get going properly (like Silverwastes or Verdant Brink). It's pretty rigid - get there when the meta is due to begin, wait for the map to reset, then start the meta. All the events tie into that, so they've all got to be done, one after the other, in order, moving across the map and all within the timer. But unless you already know that, or you happened to end up on the map when the meta is starting (or about to reset and you notice all the people hanging around the starting area) it looks like it's just an empty map.

If you want to do it the best way is to use the Wiki to check the timing and make sure you get there when it's about to begin. I actually find LFG isn't as important for this one because the map resetting will cluster everyone into new maps, but it can still be helpful to check if you don't see anyone getting groups together on your map.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:You can also wait as people trickle into the newer map instance except how likely are players to stay?

Read, then respond. I already said "introduce new events to promote players staying on the map". So I'll say it again.While waiting for players to populate the camps, have defense events at the gates. Low-consequence stuff as busy-work so players have
something
to do on the map and get the chance at a unique map reward. Since, besides story, the main reason to be there is crystalline ore, have successful events leave a single noxious pod behind. Now there is incentive to keep a player around long enough for others to show up.tl;dr - unique reward make players show up

The benefits of having the map on a timer is that you know when it always begins and it consolidates players into map instance(s) rather than having them hop onto the map over time.

Dragon Stand's process is completely player-unfriendly. Full stop. Don't justify it just because it's "predictable." It's bad, but since it's old, the odds of it getting fixed are pathetically low. The pivotal point in HoT's open world, and it's in a completely garbage state. Having this nonsense of the One Sacred Map is just going to confuse and frustrate new players who haven't learned to game GW2's awful instancing system.It's also a 2-hour timer. Severely inconvenient. In a similar amount of time, I could easily have plodded about Silverwaste until it became a meta map, done Vinewrath, and been on my way.

TBH, Silverwastes is a bad example. When it was extremely popular, people would just hop to the more progressed map. You may remember how maps tended to not fill up until the bar was close to 90%.

That's why Dragon Stand should be locked after it progresses past the first camps. Bam, done. New map opens and cycle continues with players filtering in. It's like ANet could, in theory, learn from mis-steps in previous design and even go back to fix them.

Horrible ideas. Hope these never get implemented. Metas on a timer get completed. Metas off timer rarely do. Only exceptions are Silverwastes and Dragonfall as they are the best gold/hour atm so ofc will always be farmed. Dragons stand isnt dead at all on EU unless u play at 3am CET.

I really wished we could switch instances on demand without having to have someone post it on LFG like other MMOs do. It sucks when sometimes there's just people to do 1 instance, and when it hits the soft cap it puts you in a new one. But no one has the first one posted in LFG, so you and a bunch of other people end up in the new one, and there's not enough to do the meta so everyone leaves or it just fails. If you could see there's another instance, and see how full/empty it is and you could switch, it would really help for issues like these that are common to a lot of older metas.