GW2 ERP TORUNAMENT JUST PASSED 10K Viewers

Lacko.6572

@phokus.8934 said:

@Yahkov.8217 said:I was unaware ArenaNet tried to back this. How do we know this?

teapot (host), had to choose between anet support or his camera addon (its against anet rules).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If this is ERP 3, how many live views did ERP 1 and 2 garner?

I dont know about ERP 1 view numbers, but i guess it was 2-3k. ERP 2 final had 5k viewers. And ERP 3 had 17k

Why do people keep saying that? Seems like some made up garbo from the spam in twitch chat.

saying what?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@vyncius.6105 said:

@Yahkov.8217 said:I was unaware ArenaNet tried to back this. How do we know this?

teapot (host), had to choose between anet support or his camera addon (its against anet rules).

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If this is ERP 3, how many live views did ERP 1 and 2 garner?

I dont know about ERP 1 view numbers, but i guess it was 2-3k. ERP 2 final had 5k viewers. And ERP 3 had 17k

Why do people keep saying that? Seems like some made up garbo from the spam in twitch chat.

saying what?

That teapot had to chose whether to accept ArenaNet support or some camera addon. It's obviously made up. Just sit back for a second and think how stupid this sounds.

I asked how we know this and you just repeated what was said. That doesn't provide an answer.

@FOX.3582 said:Thousands of people watching a game they could easily play themselves, yeah, we ain’t all that stupid. Next.

The more viewers you have for a game, the more popular people will see the game, the more people will play the game, the more money ArenaNet makes from the game, the more content the developers put in the game, and the people who easily play themselves benefit. Idk, could be why a company like Epic Games makes billions of dollars and even gives over 100 million dollars to eSports for it's games. But that's just stupid, huh?

Question is, how do you attract the viewers? Casual play sure as hell won't do it.

I already think Raids are too centered around "Finishing as fast as possible" so that's essentially celebrating something I dont particularly enjoy about that mode. I'd probably enjoy a show about finishing raids without relying on meta build instead, since that'd take quite a lot more skill.

If getting people to view that is going to make them interested in playing the game, they're in for quite a surprise, as raids comprise only 10% of the game. It's a good publicity stunt, sure. The problem is that it's not likely to have the effect folks think it'll have on raids, or the game itself.

@Yahkov.8217 said:

saying what?

That teapot had to chose whether to accept ArenaNet support or some camera addon. It's obviously made up. Just sit back for a second and think how stupid this sounds.

I asked how we know this and you just repeated what was said. That doesn't provide an answer.

he said himself on stream multiple times

I was going to say I must be old because I remember a time when players doing things the developers never thought of with a game was considered a positive, but actually those things are still going and still a core part of some communities. It's not a bad thing that Anet didn't get in there first, and certainly not a bad thing that they didn't come and take it over after players got it organised. One of the nice things about MMOs is that with all these people in the game together things will happen which weren't planned or expected or facilitated by the developers. It's that kind of creativity which not only keeps communities going but makes it feel like a community in the first place.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@C Cspace Cowboy.5903 said:Has anet even responded once to this?

They aren't going to. And there really isn't any reason for them to (at least in my opinion).

Really? The largest stream in gw2 history?

k.

We had some large streams before, not sure this is the largest, though.

Largest player created one at the very least

The only two bigger streams were the HoT and PoF reveals by Anet. Even the biggest pro league PvP stream "only" had 12k peak, this was 17k+. At one point Teapot was beating the official Hearthstone championship stream, and the numbers were comparable to that of the Mythic Dungeon Invitational tournament which is an official Blizzard sponsored PvE competition with professional shoutcasters and everything.

@witcher.3197 said:

They aren't going to. And there really isn't any reason for them to (at least in my opinion).

k.

The only two bigger streams were the HoT and PoF reveals by Anet. Even the biggest pro league PvP stream "only" had 12k peak, this was 17k+. At one point Teapot was beating the official Hearthstone championship stream, and the numbers were comparable to that of the Mythic Dungeon Invitational tournament which is an official Blizzard sponsored PvE competition with professional shoutcasters and everything.

Well the bottom line is there were some behind the scenes things, apparently, that I'd be worried to talk about here for fear of infractions, but Teapot will be posting a video tomorrow with further explanation. He did say not to go hard on Anet over not supporting the tournament, so there's obviously stuff we don't know. No matter how big it was.

@Vayne.8563 said:

k.

Well the bottom line is there were some behind the scenes things, apparently, that I'd be worried to talk about here for fear of infractions, but Teapot will be posting a video tomorrow with further explanation. He did say not to go hard on Anet over not supporting the tournament, so there's obviously stuff we don't know. No matter how big it was.

I see. Personally I'm not mad at Anet for not supporthing this one specific tournament, but this tournament did confirm that GW2 could absolutely generate interest on twitch and there are plenty of people interested in group content.

A lot of people believe that Anet is wasting too many resources on single player or open world content when there's more potential elsewhere. Successful events like this just remind the players of that.

It was a pretty awesome event, and demonstrative proof that high end GW2 streams are palatable to large audiences. Moving the conversation point from "oh no one watches GW2 streams on twitch because only losers watch a game instead of playing it" (as if we're not all losers for posting about video games on a forum anyway) to "well, it's insignificant because it didn't beat the numbers of the official expansion announcements that every account got notifications to go watch" is a significant step. People do watch GW2 streams if the content is there, and judging from this forum and the reddit, it drives a significant amount of the discussion in online spaces where people talk about the game.

I hardly think twitch is the end all be all of advertising or community. But it does baffle me that so many people are adamant about shunning the entire idea. Throwing weight behind community driven initiatives seems a better use of marketing budget than Kung Fu Tea debacles is all I can say. I can understand why Arenanet didn't support this initiative, 3rd party camera breaks ToS and has big implications if the tool got in the wrong hands. Fair. But if anything, this should spur them to work with other creators and ensure that events like these won't just fizzle out and die. That said, this is probably a teachable moment 2-3 years too late. The issue of fixed PoVs and relying on inconsistent streams for camera footage has been a problem since ERP 1 (2 years ago) so there's been ample time to try and work with Teapot. Now it's too late and barring a change in course in Anet's philosophy with regards to marketing and community (not a realistic expectation), there aren't many people left with his clout that could pull something together for PvE.

Hell, GvG players are still waiting for Guild Hall arenas to use WvW balance (if any are still left) and to have better instancing. Because I could totally see GvG becoming popular for streaming and building communities. There's just enough people to feel like you're going to war, without the crushing numbers of the zerg making the fight completely incomprehensible. But again, maybe 2-3 years too late on that front.

I have no idea why people don't get why Anet wouldn't of advertised it. TP has, and his friends, been publicity trashing the game, then does this ' farewell event' with a whole brunch of flaming on twitter, I mean seriously ...You aren't going to advertise someone leaving your game for a competitor./facepalm emote.

@Trajan.4953 said:

@"DRfear.5234" said:

Honestly, big shame on ArenaNet for not sponsoring this.....

Why is it a shame ?

It's a private group of people celebrating them self. Nothing to see here.

why would fifa sponsor any football match, it's just a group of people celebrating themselves, nothing to see here.

Of course. We should all just be riveted to whatever agenda you and you alone are promoting. Got it

where did i say you should watch it? or that you should follow what i promote? are you insane?

@"FOX.3582" said:Thousands of people watching a game they could easily play themselves, yeah, we ain’t all that stupid. Next.

Watching tactics from experienced raid guilds there is nothing wrong with that if you are like this particular content , also Teapot and Roy casting the raid like a sports event was great and entertaining with hilarious moments :D

"also i have two computers so i can play and watch at the same time :P"

@CrustyBot.3564 said:

Hell, GvG players are still waiting for Guild Hall arenas to use WvW balance (if any are still left) and to have better instancing. Because I could totally see GvG becoming popular for streaming and building communities. There's just enough people to feel like you're going to war, without the crushing numbers of the zerg making the fight completely incomprehensible. But again, maybe 2-3 years too late on that front.

That would totally rock i used to train with my guildies in the arena splitting into teams and it was a fun time i wish Guildhalls become something more useful in the future

@zealex.9410 said:

@Arden.7480 said:WoW Classic is just for nostalgia, everybody knows it's going to fade away within months. But still it's a very beautiful gesture towards WoW's veterans.

You've obviously ignored that there have been multiple private servers for that game, some of which have had multiple hundred thousands concurent players.

I doubt its just for nostalgia.

ok also for $$$ ;)

@witcher.3197 said:

k.

I see. Personally I'm not mad at Anet for not supporthing this one specific tournament, but this tournament did confirm that GW2 could absolutely generate interest on twitch and there are plenty of people interested in group content.

A lot of people believe that Anet is wasting too many resources on single player or open world content when there's more potential elsewhere. Successful events like this just remind the players of that.

I guess the question really becomes, how many of those people watching are Guild Wars 2 players. How many will buy Guild Wars 2. How many would play that content if they bought it. Look, I'm happy that the game got some exposure, but in my opinion, it's the wrong kind of exposure. This isn't a hard core game, and creating the illusion that it is leads to disappointment. Too many hard core players don't feel they have enough content coming out fast enough. In my opinion Anet may not want to attract more of those players.

In fact, I really think Anet dropped the ball with HoT. I don't believe they realized what they had. And this is from someone who loves HoT. All four zones. I'm there quite frequently. I've mode a good percentage of the HoT legendaries...but it was too drastic a change from the core game for the masses, who were largely satisfied. Anet is looking at feedback, seeing all this pressure to do harder core stuff, but HoT didn't really help the game...it hurt it. Which is why PoF was like the anti-HoT of expansions. Much less stuff on timers, and most of it not very rewarding. Bounties which were content on demand. Easier hero points to solo. Less confusing zones over all, and mounts to get you past the hard stuff if you suck at jumping.

PoF was designed for the other players. They're not as loud, but I believe they're quite a bit more numerous.

@Vayne.8563 said:

k.

I guess the question really becomes, how many of those people watching are Guild Wars 2 players. How many will buy Guild Wars 2. How many would play that content if they bought it. Look, I'm happy that the game got some exposure, but in my opinion, it's the wrong kind of exposure. This isn't a hard core game, and creating the illusion that it is leads to disappointment. Too many hard core players don't feel they have enough content coming out fast enough. In my opinion Anet may not want to attract more of those players.

In fact, I really think Anet dropped the ball with HoT. I don't believe they realized what they had. And this is from someone who loves HoT. All four zones. I'm there quite frequently. I've mode a good percentage of the HoT legendaries...but it was too drastic a change from the core game for the masses, who were largely satisfied. Anet is looking at feedback, seeing all this pressure to do harder core stuff, but HoT didn't really help the game...it hurt it. Which is why PoF was like the anti-HoT of expansions. Much less stuff on timers, and most of it not very rewarding. Bounties which were content on demand. Easier hero points to solo. Less confusing zones over all, and mounts to get you past the hard stuff if you suck at jumping.

PoF was designed for the other players. They're not as loud, but I believe they're quite a bit more numerous.

Agree on every single word.

@Vayne.8563 said:I guess the question really becomes, how many of those people watching are Guild Wars 2 players. How many will buy Guild Wars 2. How many would play that content if they bought it. Look, I'm happy that the game got some exposure, but in my opinion, it's the wrong kind of exposure. This isn't a hard core game, and creating the illusion that it is leads to disappointment. Too many hard core players don't feel they have enough content coming out fast enough. In my opinion Anet may not want to attract more of those players.

I guess most of those watching would be players that at least played Guild Wars 2 once or twice. A lot would play the content shown on stream (Raids) and then will leave the game when they realize it takes Arenanet 9 months to release a wing. Exposure is one way to think about it, the other is to show that the 9-month release schedule of raids was a mistake and the content does have a lot of players playing it. If it wasn't on life support it would be much more popular and successful. But Arenanet dropped the ball with Raids, first because they released Raids, and second because they didn't support Raids after releasing them.